[Q] Android on HP Touchpad

Search This thread

sollord

Jul 30, 2010
Metro-Detroit
This is probably a dumb question in the wrong section but are there any reasons outside of something like a locked boot-loader that Android couldn't be compiled to run on the HP touchpad tablet?

tjsynkral

Jan 5, 2010
I was just wondering the same thing. The CPU is a SnapDragon so the hardware at least has the potential to work...

monkeychef

Jul 21, 2010
NJ
I would imagine that it would be quite difficult because you would need to build your own kernel and custom version of android.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

HorsexD

Sep 18, 2010
Fresno
I would imagine that it would be quite difficult because you would need to build your own kernel and custom version of android.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

Im not a Developer or anything but I would Assume that we Can wait for a Honeycomb Tablet to come out with Similar specs (I.E Same Processor and Ram) and port a Version of that to the TouchPad. It should work if Running HC 3.2 since it supports different Screen sizes too. I would assume only minor tweaking would be needed. But thats just me Guessing.

aniym

Jul 13, 2009
I think this is going to become a much more important question, now that HP is getting out of the consumer hardware business and WebOS is going to become unsupported very soon. I think a dual-core snapdragon would be more that enough to run 2.3, and the aspect ratio (4:3) makes it a lot more attractive to me than the existing 16:10 stable of Honeycomb tablets.

If the source code for Ice Cream Sandwich is released to the public, hopefully this can happen. For now though I hope someone will be interested enough to pick up a cut-rate Touchpad (prices are likely to plummet now that Retailers will be dying to offload them) and attempt to get CM7 on it.

mrkrad

May 2, 2008

due to LTE:

Samsung Galaxy S II Hercules
Samsung SHV-E120S Galaxy S II LTE

use the modem-less AP8060 that the touchpad uses. they would be the target candidates to port to touchpad. could maybe do boot ->boot like IOS jailbreak where you strap webos to boot android.

Since AP8060 is SOC (all in one) - good chance of this working.

remote44

Dec 18, 2010
Toronto
I would put up some cash to see this happen... really would... WebOS is nice.. the Hardware is nice.. but AS IT IS... is as it will be and it just doesnt have enough in it for me to enjoy it. Not enough quality apps.. and what happens when things need updates to make them work properly. call whom ever you want ... no one is there to pick up the phone they have all be WFR by hp lol

asunp

Sep 17, 2010
I really hope someone can get Android on those Touchpads. The big box retailers are dumping them right now. 16GB for $99.99 and 32GB for $149.99.

calel3

Aug 26, 2009
Toronto
i know its not related :) but since its being sold for 99$im thinking of buying it :) the only question is that does it run divx movies :) without converting:p

Top Liked Posts