RAZR HD XT925 Rogers/Fido now receiving Jelly bean!

Search This thread

gio5660m

Jul 27, 2012
Yea, figured... will wait a little longer for jb root before unlocking

Sent from my XT925 using xda app-developers app

ynk3

Aug 21, 2012
After a week of torture and when i was about to flash a custom rom, which ended up not working, I got the update message!! but i was rooted and using safe strap. had to unroot and remove safe strap because it was hindering the update process. just a heads up for those who haven't updated yet.

felcom

Nov 20, 2012
Just wanted to post my experience from point of view of a complete newb. I posted on this topic here before. To recap, my phone got sent in for repairs and they flashed it with 49003. So I didn't get my update notification. I figured I'll just wait but we're into March now and still nothing. So I downloaded the OS package from difunker and tried installing. Didn't know how to go about it. Found some instructions online. Couldn't make it work. I deleted the getvar line but I still got stuck on process 17/22. I was using rsd lite 5.7. I found the post where someone said 5.7 didn't work but 6 0 did. So tried that and it worked! I'm so happy to get my phone back on the proper software, without having to send it in for service... 49003 is awful. My phone was very choppy. Froze all the time and shut off randomly.

Now on JB it's smooth. Seems to run perfect. Google live thing is pretty cool too. Thanks Difunker!

Reactions: ynk3

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com
Just wanted to post my experience from point of view of a complete newb. I posted on this topic here before. To recap, my phone got sent in for repairs and they flashed it with 49003. So I didn't get my update notification. I figured I'll just wait but we're into March now and still nothing. So I downloaded the OS package from difunker and tried installing. Didn't know how to go about it. Found some instructions online. Couldn't make it work. I deleted the getvar line but I still got stuck on process 17/22. I was using rsd lite 5.7. I found the post where someone said 5.7 didn't work but 6 0 did. So tried that and it worked! I'm so happy to get my phone back on the proper software, without having to send it in for service... 49003 is awful. My phone was very choppy. Froze all the time and shut off randomly.

Now on JB it's smooth. Seems to run perfect. Google live thing is pretty cool too. Thanks Difunker!

Thanks for the props! I actually posted a tutorial on flashing a Motorola phone with fastboot a couple of nights ago, that might have made your process a little better :)

I'll try to get the mods sticky that post.

hbenz2008

Jan 11, 2008
any FIDO xt925 user can direct me to root the xt 925, tried couple things but still at a loss on how to flash root.zip from sd.
motofailtogo also doesnt work for me as i CANT generate bugreport..

anywho , I appreciate it:cool:

btw my xt925 is unlocked and on 4.1.2

Last edited:

gilnfld

Dec 14, 2009
St. John's
any FIDO xt925 user can direct me to root the xt 925, tried couple things but still at a loss on how to flash root.zip from sd.

You have the bootloader unlocked you mean? If so, 1) install CWM recovery and boot into it. 2) Install, via CWM, the SuperSU flashable CWM zip file that is floating around here. I have done it a half dozen times this month alone. always works.

gs

Reactions: hbenz2008

gio5660m

Jul 27, 2012

Just to add, the motofail... is just for ICS, that is why it was not working for you on jb 4.1.2, as mentioned, root for jb is install cwm as in this thread

hbenz2008

Jan 11, 2008
my bad mofo is only network unocked, so i suppose bootloader must be unlocked as well? installed the sdk but still need some assists

You have the bootloader unlocked you mean? If so, 1) install CWM recovery and boot into it. 2) Install, via CWM, the SuperSU flashable CWM zip file that is floating around here. I have done it a half dozen times this month alone. always works.

gs

Last edited:

gilnfld

Dec 14, 2009
St. John's
my bad mofo is only network unocked, so i suppose bootloader must be unlocked as well? installed the sdk but still need some assists

Yes, if you want to root the stock fido/rogers jellybean 4.1.2 with CWM recovery, you have to UL the bootloader first. takes all but 3 minutes. go to the motorola 'unlock my device' page and follow the instructions to a t. become familiar with adb fastboot command line syntax. once the UL process is done you can push the CWM recovery to the phone using the necessary adb commands. then enter cwm and flash SuperSU zip file,

become one with adb, learn it, use it, love it. ;)

felcom

Nov 20, 2012
Here is a interesting development. I'm the guy who sent in his phone for service and future tel installed the wrong software. They installed 49003 and I didn't get a jb update notification. Motorola just called me last night and told me that my phone received the wrong software. They told me to send in the phone so they can install correct software.

Thing is i already installed jb with rds lite. If i tell them that, will that void my warranty now?

saloums7

Jul 19, 2012
Montreal
Here is a interesting development. I'm the guy who sent in his phone for service and future tel installed the wrong software. They installed 49003 and I didn't get a jb update notification. Motorola just called me last night and told me that my phone received the wrong software. They told me to send in the phone so they can install correct software.

Thing is i already installed jb with rds lite. If i tell them that, will that void my warranty now?

2 things you could do. First ignore them and carry on :) second, roll back to ICS with rsdlite and send it in

felcom

Nov 20, 2012
I plan on ignoring them... Just curious if I told them that I found a way to install JB using rds lite if that would void my warranty. I'm sure if I ignore them they won't care. I love how they messed up and I'm supposed to lose my phone for an additional few days. I need a working phone for my work... I can't work if I don't have my phone on me.

chgrbt

Aug 27, 2008
I plan on ignoring them... Just curious if I told them that I found a way to install JB using rds lite if that would void my warranty. I'm sure if I ignore them they won't care. I love how they messed up and I'm supposed to lose my phone for an additional few days. I need a working phone for my work... I can't work if I don't have my phone on me.

Most important is that you are now on JB and you're happy with the way your phone runs. If that's the case, i'd agree, ignore the offer. It's good Moto followed up on an error by one of their service providers. Thx for sharing your news.

Sent from my XT925 using xda premium

T

thund3rbay

If you don t have unlock bootloader... your warranty is intact...

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    User Generated Rogers RAZR HD Fastboot XML file

To those with unlocked bootloaders who want to try to get back onto Rogers Stock - Jelly Bean edition.

Again, you need to be unlocked in order for this to work (your warranty is already void)

chgrbt from XDA has provided me with a user generated fastboot file. After a couple of people tried it on here, they weren't successful so I added some extra steps to the flash process.

This is about a 500 download, compressed with 7zip.

http://d-h.st/9xj

Once downloaded, extract the files to a folder, be sure your phone can communicate with the computer in fastboot mode. Then run install.bat or linuxflash.sh in Linux (for Linux you need to chmod 775 on the file).

You CANNOT flash this with RSDLite, you must use the install.bat in the folder in windows, or Linuxflash.sh in Linux.

If you have any failures, try run flash-partition.bat under the Partition folder. This is the original file that was included with the Rogers fastboot provided by the firmware team, and was not patched or updated in the Jelly bean update. Once you've flashed the "partition" partition, try re-running install.bat.

You should be on Rogers JB Stock (with rooted) after this process, but I can't guarantee. Let me know if there are any problems, I hope this works!

If this post helped you please thank me and the one above this one by chgrbt!
    Personally, I'm not blown away with JB compared to ICS. Been on JB for a couple weeks now. The phone was very fluid with ICS, so I'm not seeing a benefit from JB's "butter", also I'm not using any of the software upgrades like Google Now. I'm actually a bit disappointed that I can't easily regain the home screen space when I disable the Google search bar like I did in ICS.

Time will tell but based on what I've seen so far, ICS was fine for me.

How I Got Back Root...

I lost root too with just voodoo :(

---------- Post added at 05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 AM ----------

Can you provide a quick step by step? Will this work if I already updated to JB with voodoo backup?

Okay, it will be rather simple since I only did a couple of steps:

1. Before I updated to 4.1.2, I downloaded and installed Voodoo Root Keeper. I ran the app which gave me the status of having "SU protected".

2. I received the update message for OTA update. I accepted the various terms and let the update complete. I don't know if it makes a difference, but like the first time I setup the phone, I did not allow the phone to be "configured for the SIM". (I'm on Koodo, so no need from Roger/Fido bloat).

3. I ran Voodoo again after the update, and tried to "Restore Root". The status came back as my phone was not rooted. I verified in Android Terminal and Root Explorer that I did NOT have root access anymore.

4. A quick search with Root Explorer and I found the back (su-backup) at /system/user/we-need-root/su-backup.

5. I Googled a bunch of things and found that Matt's Root Restore script could work. I downloaded it from:

http://www.batakang.com/ftp/DROID_RAZR/RestoreRoot.zip

6. I ran the script from my PC with the phone connected. It looks for the su-backup file in a number of places in the phone and then places it back in the /system/xbin directory which seems to get wiped during the upgrade. Watch the script for a small number required inputs. If the script works, you will need to provide an input on your phone to grant SU access, just like when you were rooted before.

7. This script installs SuperSU on your phone, so currently I have both SuperUser and SuperSU. I have asked the script writer if I can uninstall the old SuperUser app without issue. I will post back with his answer.

Does this help?

Did it work for anyone else?
    Some edits that should be brought to the files before starting ANYTHING!
    Go to the Windows folder, drag out the directory to the same level folder as the fastboot.bat script
    After you'Ve done this, RENAME! the fastboot.bat script Or you will get stuck in a loop since the script refers to fastboot.exe as fastboot, but since there is both fastboot.exe and fastboot.bat it's refering to itself. So just rename it to install.bat and double click and run :)

@Danifunker : Works! But you have to make the changes I mentionned or else nothing's gonna happen it's gonna keep refering to itself and looping at first line. Make those changes and re-up and it's gonna work perfect! (I replaced recovery.img by cwm so I can't do it for you)

I just re-wrote the script so it calls Windows\fastboot, the new URL 7 shouldn't require you to make the changes as mentioned above.

Can you post 2 screenshots of your about screens (one top part, one bottom part)?

Thanks!