HTC implements multi-touch on resistive screen, could HD get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

paulmcg92

Sep 2, 2007
leo.jpg

The image above from (http://pocketnow.com/rumor/the-leo-may-not-have-a-capacitive-screen-after-all) seems to show via the white dots that the Leo sports a resistive screen - like our HD.

However, the following video (click here) seems to shoe Leo has multi-touch. It also rumoured that windows phone (6.5) does not support capacitive screens.

There has been speculation on several phone blogs that this could be interpolated multi-touch on a resistive screen. If so, does this provide hope that we might be having some multi-touch on our HD's any time soon?

Last edited:

Sphaxx

May 6, 2009
PARIS
Unfortunately, HD got a resistive screen. It's not impossible to do multitouch on those screens but very hard and not very convenient.

Multitouch is much more efficient on capacitives screens, so i don't think it's a good idea for htc to develop that point on resistives screens, so don't hope i think.

(sorry for my english)

El Zorro Dorado

Jul 20, 2007
it is only a matter of drivers if anyone can make the drivers to calculate to saperate touch not just one then it will work

above all talks, i heard Stantum from the video mentioned about helping developers:

We give guidelines to the touchscreen builders, touchscreen vendors, so they can make high quality resistive touch screens
by Stantum at 1:16 of the video

Maybe some developers from here can take a step and contact him?

p/s: If Tuxhero and friends success and this also a success, HD might be one of the best.

MAMeingast

Jul 20, 2008
Berlin
2) nope not gonna ever see it on the HD...hardware limitations

I thought so too - but have you read the text above the video on namelessrabbits link?

"There are two solutions here:

1. Rewrite the existing touchscreen drivers to intelligently parse through the points of contact such that the driver can selectively ignore/handle multiple concurrent screen presses, working on the unique presses when available. This would give a theoretical doubling in virtual keyboard input speed and could be implemented fairly easily in a new firmware build.
2. Change the resistive screen technology as per Stantum's guidelines, to allow true all-pixels monitoring and true multi-touch. This would obviously only be for future hardware and could be years away, but still worth thinking about and doing."

While the second solution requires different hardware, the first seems to be software based!

But still I don't have many hopes of this happening...

NeoS

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 27, 2008
Somewhere in NL
i'm VERY curious to see if the Leo actually has a capacitive or resistive screen. If it's resistive, then we're going to be VERY happy. The drivers from the leaked Leo rom indicate ALOT of changes in system, graphics wise, so who knows?

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
Guys,

Multi-touch on our HDs isn't happening, period.

You can hope all you want and even sacrifice cows and lambs, it just ain't happening.

Now quit your wishful thinking and get back to reality.

And yes, Leo uses a capacitative screen (isn't it so obvious by now? If it was resistive, they'd have a stylus for crying out loud). The multi-touch resistive screens are far from even being a consumer product. You'll probably see them in 2 ~ 3 years, but definitely not now.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.