Nabi 2 vold.fstab

Search This thread

Clarkiss

Jun 3, 2012
Philadelphia
Internal Storage/Sdcard2 Swap [Solved]

Here is the solution for the Internal Storage/Sdcard2 Swap for the Nabi 2 :victory::highfive:

Lets quickly go over what we all have learned over these past 2+ weeks about the Nabi 2 and its Vold.fstab file and mount points. We realized the Nabi's vold.fstab file does NOT declare the "Internal Storage" mount point. This causes us a HUGE problem when it comes to trying to swap the "Internal Storage" and the "Sdcard2" mount points obviously because we cant just go into the vold.fstab file and edit a few lines of code to change the mount points like we would in just about every other tablet and phone there is :mad: The Nabi2 also does not show the "Internal Storage" mount when we run mount commands in a adb shell or Androids Terminal Emulator... So with that said I am almost 100% sure we cant swap the mount points using the vold.fstab file or editing vaules in .rc files and reflashing them. So that leaves us with using the script method at boot! So with hours of research I came across a Directory Binding Tool that another fellow xda developer made for almost the same reasons so I just took it and made some changes to it so we can use it with the Nabi 2. All credit for development of the tool goes to member "slig"!

How to Bind "Sdcard" to "Sdcard2" with the Directory Binding Tool

What we are going to do since we cant swap the mount points via vold.fstab/.rc files we are going to bind key ICS (4.0.4) system files to the "sdcard2"! This is the same thing as swaping the "Internal Storage" and "Sdcard2" because the Nabi's "Internal Storage" is really located on the "Sdcard". So we are going to bind the system files which are used when you install a new App or when a new App wants to download additional files to the "Sdcard2"! So instead of occupying the little space there is on the "Sdcard" after completing this guide it will install on the "sdcard2":victory::D

1. Download the DirectoryBind Tool to your Nabi from here [Download Now]
2. Install the apk to your tablet
3. After installation is complete open the "Directory Bind" app
4. At the bottom left corner make sure it says "Root Access Ok" in green
5. Then at the bottom right corner click the button so it reads "On"
6. Click on the "Settings Button" then click "Preferences"
7. In Preferences make sure the following is checked: Bind on boot, Handle USB connection, Alert on unbind fail, and Alternate dbase mgmt! Nothing else should be checked off!
8. Now click the back button once to go back to the app's main screen
9. Click the "Settings Button" then click "Add new entry"
10. You should now see 2 text fields one named "Enter source (data) path" and another named "Enter mount (target) path"... In the "Enter source (data) path" field enter the following "/mnt/sdcard2/" then go down to "Enter mount (target) path" field and enter the following "/sdcard/Android/" Then make sure "Transfer files from target to data" is NOT checked and click the ADD button.
11. You should now be back at the app's main screen but now you should see your first Directory Bind script there if you did everything correctly.
12. Now click the "Settings Button" again and click "Add new entry"
13. You now should see those 2 text fields again... This time in "Enter source (data) path" enter the following "/mnt/sdcard2/" then go down to "Enter mount (target) path" and enter the following "/sdcard/data/" then click the ADD button.
14. Now your back at the apps main screen showing the 2 directory bind scripts you created... Put a check in each scripts box then click the "Settings Button" and click "Bind checked". If you followed this guide correctly the icons next to each script will turn green which means they mounted with no issues and your all done!

You now have ur /Sdcard/Android/ folder and /Sdcard/data/ folder binded to ur Sdcard2 which means now each folder will have 8GB/16GB/32GB's of space depending on how big the sdcard is you put into ur Nabi! You can check to see if it worked by using any Root File Explorer and going to sdcard then to the Android or data folder and looking at the space used and space free! Now when you install games and apps they will be really installing onto the sdcard2 which is great when installing games like Asphalt 7 which is 1.4GB+ in size! And of course when you reboot the scripts will auto run and bind at boot since we checked "Bind on boot" in preferences! ENJOY and post any questions hopefully there will not be many since this guide is pretty much a click by click step guide ;)

-RioT-

Jul 13, 2010
This is so awesome! I thank you guys for all your hard work!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
Well done Clarkiss, I used directory bind tool in one of my many testings. Got it to look like it had swapped but actually still installing apps and data on internal storage and Nothing to sdcard2. So great job. How would one revert back, if they wanted stock? Only ask cause sent Nabi2 to grandkids and will have to walk my son thru it via a call. Thanks for All your hard work and time on this. Also very well written instruction guide :)

One more question, is it necessary to copy any or all folders from you internal sdcard to sdcard2, like when doing the vold.fstab file? I'm sure it must be but just wanted to mention in case someone that never changed a vold file tries this :)

Last edited:

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
Clarkiss, you should post your work around in the original Nabi 2 Root and Gapps. I started this thread to keep from messing up that thread. Either the whole instructions or at least a link to your work here. Many more are wanting this. Thanks again.

Clarkiss

Jun 3, 2012
Philadelphia
Clarkiss, you should post your work around in the original Nabi 2 Root and Gapps. I started this thread to keep from messing up that thread. Either the whole instructions or at least a link to your work here. Many more are wanting this. Thanks again.

Hey.. yea I was thinking about doing that to help spread the good news but I was in a hurry this morning when I posted it right before I left for work :silly: I finshed the entire guide last night and went to post it and I was hit with that maintenance down time page!! I almost jumped off the nearest cliff because I thought I was going to have to retype everything all over again but this time when I hit the back button it all came back whew.. So i just saved it to notepad and posted it this morning before work.. Im on lunch right now and I wanna say thanks to everyone that appreciates the hard work we all put into this and I will answer any questions tonight when I get home!

Reactions: shams2002s

gonzalez1361

Mar 21, 2011
directory tool

Here is the solution for the Internal Storage/Sdcard2 Swap for the Nabi 2 :victory::highfive:

Lets quickly go over what we all have learned over these past 2+ weeks about the Nabi 2 and its Vold.fstab file and mount points. We realized the Nabi's vold.fstab file does NOT declare the "Internal Storage" mount point. This causes us a HUGE problem when it comes to trying to swap the "Internal Storage" and the "Sdcard2" mount points obviously because we cant just go into the vold.fstab file and edit a few lines of code to change the mount points like we would in just about every other tablet and phone there is :mad: The Nabi2 also does not show the "Internal Storage" mount when we run mount commands in a adb shell or Androids Terminal Emulator... So with that said I am almost 100% sure we cant swap the mount points using the vold.fstab file or editing vaules in .rc files and reflashing them. So that leaves us with using the script method at boot! So with hours of research I came across a Directory Binding Tool that another fellow xda developer made for almost the same reasons so I just took it and made some changes to it so we can use it with the Nabi 2. All credit for development of the tool goes to member "slig"!

What we are going to do since we cant swap the mount points via vold.fstab/.rc files we are going to bind key ICS (4.0.4) system files to the "sdcard2"! This is the same thing as swaping the "Internal Storage" and "Sdcard2" because the Nabi's "Internal Storage" is really located on the "Sdcard". So we are going to bind the system files which are used when you install a new App or when a new App wants to download additional files to the "Sdcard2"! So instead of occupying the little space there is on the "Sdcard" after completing this guide it will install on the "sdcard2":victory::D

7. In Preferences make sure the following is checked: Bind on boot, Handle USB connection, Alert on unbind fail, and Alternate dbase mgmt! Nothing else should be checked off!
10. You should now see 2 text fields one named "Enter source (data) path" and another named "Enter mount (target) path"... In the "Enter source (data) path" field enter the following "/mnt/sdcard2/" then go down to "Enter mount (target) path" field and enter the following "/sdcard/Android/" Then make sure "Transfer files from target to data" is NOT checked and click the ADD button.
11. You should now be back at the app's main screen but now you should see your first Directory Bind script there if you did everything correctly.
13. You now should see those 2 text fields again... This time in "Enter source (data) path" enter the following "/mnt/sdcard2/" then go down to "Enter mount (target) path" and enter the following "/sdcard/data/" then click the ADD button.
14. Now your back at the apps main screen showing the 2 directory bind scripts you created... Put a check in each scripts box then click the "Settings Button" and click "Bind checked". If you followed this guide correctly the icons next to each script will turn green which means they mounted with no issues and your all done!

You now have ur /Sdcard/Android/ folder and /Sdcard/data/ folder binded to ur Sdcard2 which means now each folder will have 8GB/16GB/32GB's of space depending on how big the sdcard is you put into ur Nabi! You can check to see if it worked by using any Root File Explorer and going to sdcard then to the Android or data folder and looking at the space used and space free! Now when you install games and apps they will be really installing onto the sdcard2 which is great when installing games like Asphalt 7 which is 1.4GB+ in size! And of course when you reboot the scripts will auto run and bind at boot since we checked "Bind on boot" in preferences! ENJOY and post any questions hopefully there will not be many since this guide is pretty much a click by click step guide ;)

Im not sure if it worked for me when i download a app the internal memory goes down instead of the sd card

rainprophet

Aug 21, 2012
I'm getting same result. Apps still installing to internal memory. The sdcard2 is not being utilized. Apps2sd does not recognize external card says its emulated and unsupported.

Clarkiss

Jun 3, 2012
Philadelphia
I'm getting same result. Apps still installing to internal memory. The sdcard2 is not being utilized. Apps2sd does not recognize external card says its emulated and unsupported.

Its not going to install EVERY app on the sdcard2... Just the ones like Asphalt 7 and apps that after you install them require an additional download to play them which always have at least 1.0GB's of data to be downloaded or more.. The "/sdcard/Android/" and "/sdcard/data/" system files is where these additional files are downloaded to there for they are installed onto sdcard2.. If you want EVERYTHING to be installed onto the sdcard2 you would need to bind the "/sdcard/" system file BUT this will cause issues with a few things and may cause your Nabi2 to not work correctly! You would also have to uncheck "Bypass Path Verification" in the settings of the Dictionary Bind Tool.. Again I would not recommend it without working out the issues it would cause..

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
Its not going to install EVERY app on the sdcard2... Just the ones like Asphalt 7 and apps that after you install them require an additional download to play them which always have at least 1.0GB's of data to be downloaded or more.. The "/sdcard/Android/" and "/sdcard/data/" system files is where these additional files are downloaded to there for they are installed onto sdcard2.. If you want EVERYTHING to be installed onto the sdcard2 you would need to bind the "/sdcard/" system file BUT this will cause issues with a few things and may cause your Nabi2 to not work correctly! You would also have to uncheck "Bypass Path Verification" in the settings of the Dictionary Bind Tool.. Again I would not recommend it without working out the issues it would cause..

I can't even try or test anymore, having mailed the Nabi to my son for his kids. There should be a way as the other devices that I have modded and other folks have, work great as internal sdcard. I know with the others, it was a MUST than all files and folders be copied from internal sdcard to sdcard2 before any changes. So as to keep from having any problems. Have you tried Binding? If so clarkiss, did you copy all over to sdcard2?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using xda app-developers app

gonzalez1361

Mar 21, 2011
Sd card

I have music on the sd card and when i use the tool theydic that's on the sd card gets tripled so on the music player a song shows up 3 times.

Bait-Fish

Aug 10, 2011
Southern California
I am attempting this but am met with failure. I must be missing something. The download above is a zip, inside which appears to be TWRP installable content. I've tried twice but am only met with an error.
Code:
 * Verifying filesystems...
 * Verifying partition sizes...
Error flashing zip '/external_sdcard/twrp/Nabi2 DirectoryBind Tool.zip'

Step two mentions installing an APK, so at this point my assumption is that I have to go to the DirectoryBind thread and get that.

What am I missing? This is my first dealing with TWRP. It's probably obvious, simple, and right in front of my face :eek:

RageAgain

Apr 16, 2011
Union City, GA
I was trying to work on this a little, a while ago, but I have an error where I can't run Script Manager with SU before full boot that I can't track down...

I gave up, and GL to SD works for me anyway.

If it is not one thing it is another...

Butterflywasted

Dec 17, 2012
I am a noob!

I am a Mommy Noob :p who has been searching the internet for before I came across this thread. First of all, than you so very much! :D

Secondly, I downloaded the zip file and unzipped the entire contents, but do not see an apk file to install on my tablet. (Even if I did find it, I am not sure I would know how to install it).

I am wanting to add more interactive books for my 3 year old, I am a simple school teacher. Thank you for your patience. I however will need the Noobish directions. =) Thank you again for all of your hard work to make this children's tablet more productive!:highfive:

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
I am a Mommy Noob :p who has been searching the internet for before I came across this thread. First of all, than you so very much! :D

Secondly, I downloaded the zip file and unzipped the entire contents, but do not see an apk file to install on my tablet. (Even if I did find it, I am not sure I would know how to install it).

I am wanting to add more interactive books for my 3 year old, I am a simple school teacher. Thank you for your patience. I however will need the Noobish directions. =) Thank you again for all of your hard work to make this children's tablet more productive!:highfive:

Unfortunately, we never got anything to work for the Nabi 2 and the sdcard to sdcard 2 switch. May have to either check back from time to time or wait and hope someone else comes up with a way to switch them. I sent my Nabi on to my grandchild and think others just quit.
If you haven't been to this link, you might want to check it out, a lot of useful information and how to root the Nabi 2.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1905674

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
This may WORK

e2950 just posted this and everyone may want to try this.

an app called "Root External 2 Internal SD" at google playstore. on the tablet it will be called "External 2 Internal"in settings check mark everything and change "the original external mounting point" to /mnt/sdcard2 back out of settings and click the External>Internal button, check the At boot** box, then click the At boot if init.d button. then reboot the nabiit starts at boot but takes a sec or two to swap so if you jump the gun and check the file system right at boot you will see nothing has changed. give it a few. it will work when you see the su permission note flash on the screen. copy all data from the old internal to the new internal card and delete old internal card.

Here is his original post. If it works besure and let us know and click Thanks to e2950. I can't try it or would

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35574958#post35574958

Last edited:

Butterflywasted

Dec 17, 2012
Can I transfer the apk from my phone to the nabi2 and install it from the SD card for this app? I'm going to see if I can give this a try tonight

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
Installing Apk

Can I transfer the apk from my phone to the nabi2 and install it from the SD card for this app? I'm going to see if I can give this a try tonight

On most apk ,Yes as long as Unknown Source is checked in setting. This apk for switching sdcards ,you can NOT as you must be rooted to use the apk. The name is actually Root Internal 2 External SD.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Internal Storage/Sdcard2 Swap [Solved]

Can you elaborate a bit? Write out some more detailed instructions as to what you did?

I have achieved the same result on both my sons Nabi 2's now so here is a short summary of the steps. These assume a Windows 7 PC environment and a rooted Nabi 2 with an sd card (I have used a 32GB micro sd card).

1. Download this free partition tool. http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html. The main benefit of using this is that allows you to re-partition sd cards which contain data without losing the data.
    2. Take your micro sd card for the Nabi and using a PC card reader insert into PC so it appears as a drive, Make a backup of the contents (though this is only in case things go wrong and you have data on the card you want to keep)
    3. Launch Partition wizard downloaded in step 1 and find your micro sd card
    4. Decide how big a partition you want to make on your sd card for apps (I currently have 2GB partition set aside for apps on the external card)
    5. Right click on your drive in partition wizard and choose resize and make the existing partition smaller.
    6. Click on the unallocated space and create a new primary partition (I used fat32). You will get a warning that Windows won't be able to read this partition - don't worry about that.
    7.Once you have created the partition, you need to 'Apply' the changes. The re-size operation will move data around so that you won't lose anything (though the backup made in step 2 is in case something does go wrong at this stage)
    8. Close partition wizard and move your sd card to the nabi
    9. Download link2sd from the play store. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD&hl=en
    10. After install and run link2sd you will be asked to tell it about your new apps partition and that it is using fat32
    11.reboot Nabi
    12. Run link2sd again and you can now select apps currently installed on internal memory and move them to your new external partition. Your additional space for app storage is thus limited only by the size of the partition you have made on your card.

Note that whilst this allows you to move the app storage, you still need to use a tool like FolderMount to also move any additional data stored on internal memory to the sd card standard sdcard1 partition. I have been using FolderMount 2.0.5 downloaded from the XDA thread after having purchased the current version from the play store. This gives you new features whilst retaining the paid for ability to create more than 3 pairs in FolderMount. The new apps analyser in FolderMount makes it very easy to move any large additional data to storage.

It's not a totally seamless method in that you do need to intervene in 'daddy mode' and decide what apps are installed where but once everything is in place this process is very quick.

I haven't noticed any speed lag using these.

Hope this helps others. The combination of link2sd and foldermount really do allow you maximise the use of the Nabi 2.
    Dan in SA had the most info I recall about what seems to be going on. It has to do with the Fuse file system.
    I installed the earlier recommended External 2 Internal app from the play store, and have followed the instructions provided...but it doesn't do a darned thing as far as I can tell.

I've dug through, and found that the actual sdcard directory is based at /data/media - it's remapped as a fuse FS by the /system/bin/sdcard application to /mnt/sdcard, and a link is setup at /sdcard in the init.mt799.rc file. In /data/media, owner and group are set as media_rw (again, done in the init script), and in /mnt/sdcard it is set as system:sdcard_rw - also defined as part of the script when the sdcard app is run. As /mnt/sdcard is essentially bound to /data/media and accessed as a fuse file system, it can have different permissions.

The links created at /data/media are seen in /mnt/sdcard, but they are seen as actual directories and not links. The symlink is stripped in the binding and it appears as a hardlink.

In /data/media, I've linked Alarms, Android, Music, and MxBrowser to the external sdcard, and things seem to be working OK there. I'm wondering if the gallery is not working due to a UID/GID or permission issue.

I'll keep digging, but if anyone has any pointers for me I'd appreciate it. I haven't had a chance to start tinkering with the custom ROM yet - I just signed up for the nVidia Tegra Developer group today which will give me access to a VM to test it on, and as soon as that goes through I'll get to work on it.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2
    I'm on the tab right now but I will write a guide tonight or tomorrow at the latest

Sent from my NABI2-NV7A using xda app-developers app
    Sdcard/Sdcard2 swap solved (in testing)

well, what info we have till now
    the internal sd is not triggered by the vold.
    the internal sd is not appearing when we run mount commands from adb
    is becoming quite imposible to swap the internal sd with the external one.
    we should concentrate on the init file and see if we can swap some values to load the external sd card

Ok yeah thats what I been thinking...Im almost 100% sure that the way we are going to get this working is a combo of "init.mt799.rc" and maybe "init.goldfish.rc" value editing and running a script at boot. Or possibly just using a script at boot up... That said last night I made a huge breakthrough using a directory binding script method then of course setting it up to run at boot :victory::highfive::victory::D:cool: I am putting the last few final touch-ups on it and running installation as well as reboot tests and once im happy with it im going to post a guide on how to get this done finally!!:victory::laugh: I have 2 Nabi tablets so once I confirm that it works without any issues it will be posted :fingers-crossed: And dont worry ALD3 haha im going to be posting it today and hopefully shortly I have off work today and have my 4 year old son wanting to play so im juggling both :eek::silly: