[EFS/IMEI][ME6/MF2]Please Read Before Flashing

Search This thread

UtkarshGupta

Nov 17, 2012
New Delhi
Hey everyone,
You must have heard about the latest stability update.
There have been major changes to the working of kernel/modem/efs with the roms ME6 And MF2.
Kernel everywhere in this post means the one packed with me6 or mf2 unless specified.

1)All the custom ROMs based on ME6 or MF2 require the modems XXDME4 or DXDMF1. Or you won't get signal.
2)The kernel will modify the efs so that only XXDME4 and DXDMF1 modems can read it.
3)Once you boot up with the latest kernel, the efs will be modified, and you will need to stick to XXDME4 or DXDMF1 modems even after changing ROMs.
4)The modems XXDME4 and DXDMF1 are compatible with all the kernels (even 4.1.1)
5)Modems can't be changed if you are on a rom based on ME6/MF2.

If you haven't Flashed ME6 or MF2 based rom yet. - Backup EFS First
You will need to flash a custom kernel with the rom or a previous stock kernel.
Any kernels in this kernel changer are safe to use.
To flash a rom based on mf2 or me6, download the rom and the kernel changer. Flash the rom as you normally would(try not to choose the modem and kernel).
Then without rebooting, run the kernel changer and choose any kernel you want (the latest safe stock kernel is dme1)
If however, you want to change modem later on , downgrade to a non ME6 or MF2 ROM then change modem.
If you get a corrupt imei after changing modem, restore the EFS backup you made earlier.

If you have flashed ME6 or MF2 based rom. - Your EFS has been modified, No changing Modems(Only XXDME4 or DXDMF1) Backup EFS anyway.
If you aren't getting signal - flash this modem (DME4) or this one (DMF1)
If you made a EFS backup prior to flashing ME6 or MF2 based rom then downgrade to a non ME6 or MF2 ROM then change modem. After reboot you won't have imei. Now restore your EFS.
Even if you do not have a previous EFS backup then try the same procedure, but don't change modem. If you get signal, then you were lucky(happens in case you flashed a custom rom or didn't flash the latest kernel).
If you don't get signal then you could try this-
1)Copy your EFS folder to a safe location.
2)Delete the EFS folder. It will way can't but don't worry.
3)Reboot. You might have factory mode (yellow colour text on screen) and no lockscreen.
4)Copy the backed up EFS folder back. (Replace All)
5)Reboot.

If you can't get rid of factory mode(yellow text overlay) even after recovering imei, try this-
Enter all the commands into terminal emulator one by one and hit enter after everyone. Don't forget to give SuperUser permissions to it.
Code:
su
rm /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
rm /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
reboot

Honourable Mention -
Thunder Roar Rom has been configured to allow modem change without corrupting efs - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2338033

P.S. The Mod himself recommended me to post in android development section.

Last edited:

joshphilips

Mar 9, 2008
Salmiya,Kuwait
Thank you for this information. I encountered this problem (no imei/signal) .Luckily had an efs backup and everything up and running again !

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

landeiro

Mar 10, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
I didnt understand. I use MF2 with Saberkernel i didnt any backup but work ok..... :confused: If I will come back to my original rom ZTO(Brazil) by Odin Efs will make currupted?

Last edited:

fidocampeao

May 19, 2013
i've installed this rom and its working fine, but I wanted to install a custom rom, made backup now, can't restore in other roms

a guy posted this in other thread, if it helps someone and, i would apreciate a lot, if someone could help me find this 3 files and help me with this procedure:

Update...

I was able to recover my phone's IMEI by installing the older version of the ROM..
All the current roms that we get from Sam Mobile are only a single entity and hence you select PDA in ODIN.

what I downloaded is the 3 file rom and installed it with PIT. This automatically restored my phone's IMEI number. I installed the 4.1.1 rom (Europe edition) and then successfully upgraded to the latest firmware for INU.

Hope this helps others too.

UtkarshGupta

Nov 17, 2012
New Delhi
i've installed this rom and its working fine, but I wanted to install a custom rom, made backup now, can't restore in other roms

a guy posted this in other thread, if it helps someone and, i would apreciate a lot, if someone could help me find this 3 files and help me with this procedure:

You got a corrupted efs with no backup?

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using xda premium

fidocampeao

May 19, 2013
You got a corrupted efs with no backup?

When I installed the DMF2, everything was fine, but when I installed android revolution I had wrong imei... I tried to go to my original ZTO, but had wrong imei either, change back to DMF2, everything fine... made backup of EFS with EFS Pro and that recover.bat, recovered in my original ZTO, still the problem with imei, the only rom that its working now is the DMF2 from malaysia...

Reactions: landeiro

landeiro

Mar 10, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
When I installed the DMF2, everything was fine, but when I installed android revolution I had wrong imei... I tried to go to my original ZTO, but had wrong imei either, change back to DMF2, everything fine... made backup of EFS with EFS Pro and that recover.bat, recovered in my original ZTO, still the problem with imei, the only rom that its working now is the DMF2 from malaysia...

In Portuguese(only):

Cara pelo que entendi então não podemos voltar para a ROM Original ZTO? Mesmo com backup do EFS. Essa rom nunca teve atualização.

UtkarshGupta

Nov 17, 2012
New Delhi

Go to mf2. Make a backup, make sure the imei is correct.
Flash arhd. Then flash a custom kernel (not adam 2.6)with latest modem.

fidocampeao

May 19, 2013
Go to mf2. Make a backup, make sure the imei is correct.
Flash arhd. Then flash a custom kernel (not adam 2.6)with latest modem.

I'm so very sorry, but I'm still a little noob, how can I flash the modem? I take from the MF2 rom?

In Portuguese(only):

Cara pelo que entendi então não podemos voltar para a ROM Original ZTO? Mesmo com backup do EFS. Essa rom nunca teve atualização.

pelo que eu entendi também só pode atualizar pra frente, não será mais possível colocar roms antigas, se for isso pelo menos eu estou aliviado, estava pensando que nunca mais ia poder atualizar...

translating: he asked if we would not be able to go back to zto, even with EFS backup. I'm thinking the same, but relief if I could update forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: landeiro

landeiro

Mar 10, 2010
Rio de Janeiro

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,
    You must have heard about the latest stability update.
    There have been major changes to the working of kernel/modem/efs with the roms ME6 And MF2.
    Kernel everywhere in this post means the one packed with me6 or mf2 unless specified.

1)All the custom ROMs based on ME6 or MF2 require the modems XXDME4 or DXDMF1. Or you won't get signal.
    2)The kernel will modify the efs so that only XXDME4 and DXDMF1 modems can read it.
    3)Once you boot up with the latest kernel, the efs will be modified, and you will need to stick to XXDME4 or DXDMF1 modems even after changing ROMs.
    4)The modems XXDME4 and DXDMF1 are compatible with all the kernels (even 4.1.1)
    5)Modems can't be changed if you are on a rom based on ME6/MF2.

If you haven't Flashed ME6 or MF2 based rom yet. - Backup EFS First
    You will need to flash a custom kernel with the rom or a previous stock kernel.
    Any kernels in this kernel changer are safe to use.
    To flash a rom based on mf2 or me6, download the rom and the kernel changer. Flash the rom as you normally would(try not to choose the modem and kernel).
    Then without rebooting, run the kernel changer and choose any kernel you want (the latest safe stock kernel is dme1)
    If however, you want to change modem later on , downgrade to a non ME6 or MF2 ROM then change modem.
    If you get a corrupt imei after changing modem, restore the EFS backup you made earlier.

If you have flashed ME6 or MF2 based rom. - Your EFS has been modified, No changing Modems(Only XXDME4 or DXDMF1) Backup EFS anyway.
    If you aren't getting signal - flash this modem (DME4) or this one (DMF1)
    If you made a EFS backup prior to flashing ME6 or MF2 based rom then downgrade to a non ME6 or MF2 ROM then change modem. After reboot you won't have imei. Now restore your EFS.
    Even if you do not have a previous EFS backup then try the same procedure, but don't change modem. If you get signal, then you were lucky(happens in case you flashed a custom rom or didn't flash the latest kernel).
    If you don't get signal then you could try this-
    1)Copy your EFS folder to a safe location.
    2)Delete the EFS folder. It will way can't but don't worry.
    3)Reboot. You might have factory mode (yellow colour text on screen) and no lockscreen.
    4)Copy the backed up EFS folder back. (Replace All)
    5)Reboot.

If you can't get rid of factory mode(yellow text overlay) even after recovering imei, try this-
    Enter all the commands into terminal emulator one by one and hit enter after everyone. Don't forget to give SuperUser permissions to it.
    Code:
    su
    rm /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
    rm /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
    echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
    echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
    chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
    chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
    chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
    chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
    reboot

Honourable Mention -
    Thunder Roar Rom has been configured to allow modem change without corrupting efs - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2338033

P.S. The Mod himself recommended me to post in android development section.
    Here is DMF1 Modem for anyone asking as flashable zip :)
    Thx OP for posting this.
    Users who flashed swift rom reported changing modems successfully.
    It seems my bro did something to work around this matter.

On swift, he packed the rom with latest me4 modem but with me1 kernel. Csc changes too.

So users may want to have a safe backup of efs. This is important. But you also guys may wanna try swift too.

I will try to come up with flashable fix as soon as I can, if i can too. :)

Good luck d Thx OP again for your post.
    Apologies for my intrusion. ;):thumbup:
    UPDATE :

Guys. I just finished building a rom with best effort fixes to the modem change issues.

Testing successful.

The issue is not just the kernel. Even if you use older kernel with latest modem XXDME4, that works fine, and yet also latest kernel XXDME6 with XXDME4 modem,
    With older stock kernel, changing modems could result in unknown Imei.

Problem is with libs referencing the new base of new kernel.

However.

I managed to get it working with older kernels after fixing the libs and csc Config as well as the vendor firmware :D

Stick to other kernels even stock kernel XXDME1 is fine. With my changes I hope this issue is resolved as best effort.

Tomorrow I will publish the rom online. :thumbup:

Good night.
    Guys. I think I have found a way and solution to change modems and keep imei correct with the latest base.

But you must not use the latest kernel.
    I might continue testing and try to publish one rom soon.

Stay tuned guys.