[PUDDING] International House of Pudding! BL Unlock/root thread (Updated 07/23/2011)

Search This thread

JPBeard21

Aug 19, 2008
Lacombe, LA
Just a thought for anyone having problems with fingerprint scanner, it could be due to having prints stored before unlocking the bootloader and flashing the gingerbread rom. I would make sure to disable it and erase all remembered scans and I bet that will fix it. I'm about to give it a go.

Last edited:

GoodFoot

Mar 30, 2011
Just a thought for anyone having problems with fingerprint scanner, it could be due to having prints stored before unlocking the bootloader and flashing the gingerbread rom. I would make sure to disable it and erase all remembered scans and I bet that will fix it. I'm about to give it a go.
Can anyone confirm if this fixes/prevents fingerprint scanner problem?

the2dcour

Mar 17, 2011
Boston
This wipes the user data partition... you can't even open the fingerprint app because it immediately force closes. This won't work.

There is a link about this in the OP that doesn't wipe /data
It works for maybe 50% of people (the other half upgraded to 2.3.4 and well, I don't use that so I can't help them.)

kennethpenn

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 29, 2006
Washington, D.C.
briefmobile.com
Just an FYI. I have no confirmation yet.

A Motorola source just told me that the bootloader will not be unlocked from AT&T and Motorola with the Gingerbread over-the-air update.

Good news: we already have the tools to unlock our bootloader. These tools will continue to work even if the final builds for AT&T Gingerbread do not include fastboot OEM unlock implementation.

A previous Motorola source told me that the bootloader was intentionally unlocked and would stay unlocked for Gingerbread OTA update. Not sure which one has the right information at this point in time. Stay tuned for more information.

the2dcour

Mar 17, 2011
Boston
Just an FYI. I have no confirmation yet.

A Motorola source just told me that the bootloader will not be unlocked from AT&T and Motorola with the Gingerbread over-the-air update.

Good news: we already have the tools to unlock our bootloader. These tools will continue to work even if the final builds for AT&T Gingerbread do not include fastboot OEM unlock implementation.

A previous Motorola source told me that the bootloader was intentionally unlocked and would stay unlocked for Gingerbread OTA update. Not sure which one has the right information at this point in time. Stay tuned for more information.

Since kennethpenn officially posted this I will post my reply. This is slimy by Motorola / AT&T and we should not put up with it. Also, I will do everything in my power to continue to provide us with unlocked BLs for future releases.

edude03

Aug 16, 2007
We already have the tools for at&t, exactly. I'm worried about the world version.

Sigh, I just bought the Atrix hearing the BL got unlocked, Found out that doesn't work for my Bell Atrix, and now I hear that there is a chance my Bell Atrix won't get an unlocked BL.

Anyone want to buy a newish Atrix? It's 4 days old, box and all accessories.

the2dcour

Mar 17, 2011
Boston
Sigh, I just bought the Atrix hearing the BL got unlocked, Found out that doesn't work for my Bell Atrix, and now I hear that there is a chance my Bell Atrix won't get an unlocked BL.

Anyone want to buy a newish Atrix? It's 4 days old, box and all accessories.

I wouldn't lose hope. The unlock only got shut down in a pre-beta release. Most likely if anyone shut down the unlock it is AT&T not moto. Depending on how Bell feels about all that they will do whatever they want.

nate_benji

May 23, 2010
London
Since kennethpenn officially posted this I will post my reply. This is slimy by Motorola / AT&T and we should not put up with it. Also, I will do everything in my power to continue to provide us with unlocked BLs for future releases.

Can you get your hands on the bell/international sbf to unlock our bootloaders? Seems that Motorola doesn't want to help us out at all..

the2dcour

Mar 17, 2011
Boston
I am interested in knowing if that would work in theory too.

The closest thing I can suggest right now is to try navalynt's mod and see if there are any updates for your phone like 2.3.x. If you get a sbf that works for your carrier then me or someone else familiar with sbf's could easily make something for you. Caution: I have not used navalynt's mod on ATT or otherwise, proceed at your own risk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

WARNINGS: READ ALL OF THIS BEFORE CONTINUING
    1. All phones If you have unlocked then try to use 2.3.4 update zip from Motorola servers, then revert back to a "pre-unlock" version(1.8.3 or earlier on ATT) you will get bricked! Do not use the OTA via experimental servers and revert to older versions WITHOUT pudding preinstalled in your sbf. ATT ONLY Get your 1.8.3 with pudding from the pudding/unlocker section below.
    2. International Phones IHOP_Bell has a known issue with many or all phones report around 300mb of ram. Fixed, see fixes section.

3. Chinese A Chinese user bricked his phone after applying a 2.2.2 OTA(over the air) update from his provider. DO NOT USE THIS if you plan to OTA. We need help from other Chinese users to further understand this issue. Read this post and help out your fellow Chinese users, please.

4. Use at your own risk. Have a backup phone, insurance plan or other means of recovering from a possible brick or loss of functionality. You are using experimental software at your own risk.

Works/Does not work list

ATT version 1.8.3 or later: Works
    Bell version ??: Warning: Ram See fixes
    T-Mobile UK 2.3.3 Warning: Ram See fixes
    Orange version ??: Warning: Ram See fixes
    Telestra version ??: Warning: Ram See fixes
    Brazil version ??: Warning: Ram See fixes
    French version 2.1.1: Warning: Ram See fixes
    Personal Argentina version ??: Warning: Ram See fixes
    Mobifone Korea version ??: Warning: Ram See fixes
    Thailand version Froyo 2.2.2: Warning: Ram See fixes
    Spanish/Movistar version ??: Warning: Ram See fixes
    China version ??: DANGER: Brick after OTA 2.2.2

Updates

Update July 23 2011: Full sbf for ATT users available. This sbf includes root in preinstall (don't ask questions, read the post in this link) and pudding pre-loaded. Look for the file with the other pudding files below. Thanks to WiredNix and Brandon15811 for helping find the original sbf, and WiredNix for testing.
    Update July 19th 2011: Pudding has been updated to fix memory timing issues that gizmo noticed, thank you eval- for the fix. All ATT users should update pudding. Bell users have updated pudding as well, but memory timing fix is included in the 300mb RAM fix. Update is available thru standard unlock links, as of this posting only diamantephoto.com links have updated pudding.

Who does/doesn't need this.

You need this if:
    1) You need to flash custom single partitions such as system, osh, boot.img, recovery, or data.
    2) Mainly for testing custom kernels, see number one.
    3) You have a real ROM with a custom kernel, like CM7 or MIUI, and want to flash it.

You don't need this if:
    1) Number one in the last section doesn't make any sense to you or sounds like gibberish.
    2) You wanna show your friends how much cooler or better than them you are.
    3) You just want to install P-ROMs and Themes.

Disclaimer: Tested on 1.8.3 and 2.3.4 using sbf_flash and RSDLITE 5.3.1 or higher, usual warnings being responsible for your own actions yada yada

YOU WILL LOSE ALL FILES IN /DATA backup is your friend.

RSDLite/Windows Drivers/Sbf_flash:

Prepare: If you're in windows land you will need to re-install drivers. Thanks for the link.
    RSDLite 5.5 link
    x64 Windows drivers
    sbf_flash - the linux/mac sbf flasher

Guide for beginners provided by: http://goo.gl/vfUXc

Unlock:

Unlocker only SBFs - These small 1mb SBF files will get your phone ready to fasboot oem unlock. They are the files most people should use.
    ATT ONLY - Unlocker for 1.8.3 and 4.5.91 ATT firmwares
    Orange/Bell/Telestra/Latin America/International users ONLY - Download IHOP

Full SBFs with unlocker - I do not recommend flashing full SBFs unless you must. please use the smaller files above. These files are ATT ONLY.
    http://www.multiupload.com/C0I82IXH7V - 2.3.4 full sbf with unlocker and /preinstall root
    http://www.multiupload.com/FLZR9I9CNX - 1.8.3 full sbf with unlocker (why are you using 1.8.3?)
    You shouldn't be using full SBFs anyhow, but multiupload is gone so too bad. I'm too lazy to reupload.
    Big thanks to Ratchet1 for risking his phone to test this, also SamCrip and stevendeb for finding the magic update. All the Bell/Orange users should give them a big thank you! Also eval- for making sure I didn't overwrite your bootloader with a CDROM image ;)

Root:
    Rooting 2.3.4 / Full 1.8.3 clean SBF with BL unlock and preinstall root by Brandon15811, eval- and myself

Fastboot if you don't have it. (Windows)
    http://diamantephoto.com/fastboot.rar
    http://gititbit.ch/FAST - git mirror
    Linux 64bit (large file support): http://f.ligux.com/atrix/unlock/moto-fastboot.zip
    Linux 32bit (large file support): http://f.ligux.com/atrix/unlock/moto-fastboot32.zip

Kernels:

Edgan's OC kernel
    faux123's OC kernel
    Kholk's OC kernel

Mods:

[ROM] CM7 Pre-beta for thread please check : http://modmymobile.com/forums/661-motorola-atrix-4g-development/562977-exp-cyanogenmod-7-1-atrix.html#post4099387
    Eval and Unknown's Experimental SBF 2.3.4 Guide
    Tenfar's CWM
    Kennethpenn's AOSP Guide
    Edgan's compile your own kernels thread
    Tenfar's CWM flashable 2.3.4 hktw

Fixes:

Tentative ram fix for 2.3.x unlocked international users
    Navalynt's instant pudding fixer for 2.3.4
    This Cardock fix revert's 2.3.4 cardock.apk to 1.8.3. Posted by Joe Ferria
    If Titanium Backup destroyed your Fingerprint Scanner settings try this fingerprint fix for most cases.
    If your APN list is gone try resetting to default.
    If you installed 2.3.4 and webtop is broken:2.3.4 webtop fix thanks to mburlingame
    If you have a fix for another issue please pm me with explanation or a link, you will be credited.

Picture of what to do with fastboot. Blurred out spots are my personal code, just so you don't get confused.
    pudding.jpg

Congratulations if you get this:
    unlocked.jpg
    This is a development thread.

Let's keep the 'thanks', 'I'm downloading' and jokes out, as we need to keep the contents relevant. If you want to show thanks, use the thanks button under the first post, or donate to the2dcour!

Let's also keep discussions about ROMs (GB, 2.3.4, CM7, ASOP, etc) out of this thread, as this thread is about a unlocked bootloader.

FAQ:

Will this give me Gingerbread or 2.3.4?:

This is a custom boot image to enable you to flash any custom ROM. This by itself will not give you 2.3.4. You'll need to find another thread for that.

How to tell if you're still unlocked:

Your phone is still unlocked. Flash a newer (leaked!) bootloader and you will see the "Unlocked" again. No knowing whether we can re-lock, notice:
    Code:
    $ sudo ./moto-fastboot oem lock
                                  ... INFOOEM lock is not implemented
    Since we haven't determined the implementation, it could well be this process is irreversible, as they claim.

Can't connect to internet / lost APNs:

After doing this I lost all my APN's how can I get them back?

your stock APNs?

If it's a modded APN list either restore your backup (you did back up right?) and reboot, or go back to where you got the APNs from and re-install them like that.

Looks like u gotta add your apns again i also had to do this:
    http://www.androidonhtc.com/old/carrier_network_settings

i had to add mine again, BUT if you go into your apn settings and hit menu, there is a "Restore Default Settings" (or something similar) options tht I selected... and voila! APN's come back

hope this helps!

Home button not working after flash:

Only thing I'm noticing of any concern is that my home button is not working... it vibrates on press just fine, but nothing happens when I press it???? Huummm... Anyone else?
    Oh, and ariplane mode and something else (can't remember) are missing from the power off notification area; only power off and reboot are there now.

This happened to me too, I restored data and either battery pulled or rebooted to fix it.

RSD lite can't find sbf to flash:

This was a pain in the **** when you're in a hurry to unlock the beast; to make it clear, the "Unlock SBF file" extracts as "zomgunlock-lite" which RSD doesn't recognise as it doesn't have the SBF extension. Rename it to "zomgunlock-lite.sbf" and then load it.

Bust my nerves while rushing to do everything quickly.. :eek:

Backups:

For those of you asking about backups,

Use titanium for apps (it will backup apps and it's data)

Mybackup Root for Sms/MMS/Bookmarks/settings

They are both free from market.

titanium backup, my backup pro, and cwm nandroid backup in progress!

Motoblur?:

Motoblur will still be there after you flash this unlock.

Do I have to unlock?:

As of 6/29/11, there are a limited amount of ROMs out and if you look around the forums, they require alot of fixes. If you have the time and patience, feel free to unlock...

Can I overclock?:

This is a new boot image, not a kernel. A custom kernel with the ability to change frequencies as a compiler option is required for overclocking.

I can't get moto-fastboot to work?

This could be because of:

• Improper paths due to lack of understanding of how DOS works (see this primer)
    • missing USB drivers (try installing RSD Lite first)
    If these fail to help you, look in the Questions and Answers forums..
    Here's RSD Lite 5.3.1 and the newer drivers for 64-bit in case anyone needs them.
    mirror for att pudding

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fh8krx7a5y1h2om/pudding.rar i couldnt find for longest time, here is dropbox
    The2dCour is a known troll.