[WARNING] Do not upgrade to the official 2.2, read the explanation, why.

Search This thread

reqmon

Oct 26, 2010
Vilnius
stylemistake.com
I created this topic for all, who didn't hear about it.

Upgrading your Wildfire to the new HBOOT and 2.21 Froyo (over the air) will result in total immunity to the tools like Unrevoked3. This means, that after upgrading you will not be able to root your phone, push clockworkmod, custom roms, and even if it was rooted before, it unroots and you will not be able to restore 2.1 from backup.

Those, who haven't done any upgrades, can flash a safe ROM or any other Froyo ROM on the rooted phone from sticky threads.

But those, who were successfully moved to the official 2.2 Froyo, have 3 solutions:

1. Wait patiently for the Unrevoked update, which will root the upgraded hboot. But right now (04 Jan 2011) Unrevoked team do not have Wildfires for testing, so development for this phone is suspended for some (long) time.

2. Downgrade. It is actually possible for conservative people, who liked 2.1.
Unfortunately, i must warn everybody, that this method will not make your phone rootable again because HBOOT doesn't downgrade.
[GUIDE] A Noobs Guide To Downgrade Wildfire/Buzz 2.2 - 2.1

3. Connect to the development and help others. Currently, we need ideas and, first of all, your comments. Any news about rooting upgraded Wildfire are welcome here.

More info on IRC channel: irc.freenode.net#unrevokedtest

-----
Useful URLs:
[GUIDE] One Click How to Root the Wildfire with Unrevoked 3
[ROM] All ROMs for Wildfire (newest version) listed by release date.

Last edited:

ryanraven

Nov 14, 2010
Cardiff
shame

yeah i updated like a fool :-(
oh well not long until unrevoked3 release the update for wildfire :) hopefully in the next few weeks or so.

fifarunnerr

Sep 7, 2010
What about donating the Unrevoked team with an e-mail:
Donated xx$ for wildfire root.

So they can buy one/more wildfires? :)

lemming999

Nov 18, 2010
If you ran unrevoked forever on your Wildfire before installing the official Froyo 2.2, would you have a rooted Foyo Wildfire?

lemming999

Nov 18, 2010
CoaBalboa, I think that you misunderstood my post.

I am still on 1.37 rooted and am looking to upgrade to Foyo but only if I can root it. i.e. it is not too late.

Unrevoked forever is a different product to Unrevoked and my query still stands unanswered:

"If you ran unrevoked forever on your Wildfire before installing the official Froyo 2.2, would you have a rooted Foyo Wildfire?"

reqmon

Oct 26, 2010
Vilnius
stylemistake.com
CoaBalboa, I think that you misunderstood my post.

I am still on 1.37 rooted and am looking to upgrade to Foyo but only if I can root it. i.e. it is not too late.

Unrevoked forever is a different product to Unrevoked and my query still stands unanswered:

"If you ran unrevoked forever on your Wildfire before installing the official Froyo 2.2, would you have a rooted Foyo Wildfire?"

No, no, and No again. If you install official update, all your roots and mods are going down, because it overwrites everything in Recovery with new HBOOT. If you want to test a bare Froyo with Sense, flash a SAFE rom from here, but not a RUU or any kinds of updates.

Ouistyty

Jan 4, 2011
Orleans
Thanks for the post reqmon.

I agree, this thread should be a sticky (as long as there is no rooting option for the new HBOOT.

frankieicory

Jan 4, 2011
i updated like a fool as I'm a newbie in this :(

now we sit back till they will have a solution for wildifre froyo to be rooted

banny7000

Dec 27, 2010
I wonder if anyone can put a time scale on wildfire root

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using XDA App

lemming999

Nov 18, 2010
No, no, and No again. If you install official update, all your roots and mods are going down, because it overwrites everything in Recovery with new HBOOT. If you want to test a bare Froyo with Sense, flash a SAFE rom from here, but not a RUU or any kinds of updates.

Thanks for your reply Reqmon but I have the feeling that no-one on this thread knows the difference between unRevoked and unRevoked forever.

unRevoked forever is at the following link.

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/forever

It suggests that even unrootable RUUs are safe if the phone has been 'unRevoked forever' as this is a low level bootloader type program that undermines even an unrootable HBOOT.

Can anyone with an understanding of 'unRevoked forever' answer my question?

3xeno

Dec 6, 2010
Bangalore
Unrevoked Forever never worked on the Wildfire as far as I know. There never was a way to get the WF in S-OFF mode. I stand welcome to be corrected though.

natabbotts

Jan 5, 2011
Glasgow
It suggests that even unrootable RUUs are safe if the phone has been 'unRevoked forever' as this is a low level bootloader type program that undermines even an unrootable HBOOT.

Can anyone with an understanding of 'unRevoked forever' answer my question?

In the installation instructions for unRevoked forever, the first appearing one is "If your phone does not already have a custom recovery, use unrevoked3 to root your phone."

This tells you that you need to be able to run standard unrevoked3 for unrevoked forever to work.

Since we know that installing the official FroYo 2.2 prevents unrevoked3 from sucessfully rooting your phone, you cannot successfully run unrevoked forever on a FroYo 2.2 (official) Wildfire.

You will be able to successfully run it on a pre-2.2 Wildfire.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I created this topic for all, who didn't hear about it.

Upgrading your Wildfire to the new HBOOT and 2.21 Froyo (over the air) will result in total immunity to the tools like Unrevoked3. This means, that after upgrading you will not be able to root your phone, push clockworkmod, custom roms, and even if it was rooted before, it unroots and you will not be able to restore 2.1 from backup.

Those, who haven't done any upgrades, can flash a safe ROM or any other Froyo ROM on the rooted phone from sticky threads.

But those, who were successfully moved to the official 2.2 Froyo, have 3 solutions:

1. Wait patiently for the Unrevoked update, which will root the upgraded hboot. But right now (04 Jan 2011) Unrevoked team do not have Wildfires for testing, so development for this phone is suspended for some (long) time.

2. Downgrade. It is actually possible for conservative people, who liked 2.1.
    Unfortunately, i must warn everybody, that this method will not make your phone rootable again because HBOOT doesn't downgrade.

3. Connect to the development and help others. Currently, we need ideas and, first of all, your comments. Any news about rooting upgraded Wildfire are welcome here.

More info on IRC channel: irc.freenode.net#unrevokedtest

-----
    Useful URLs:
    [GUIDE] One Click How to Root the Wildfire with Unrevoked 3
    [ROM] All ROMs for Wildfire (newest version) listed by release date.
    yes, this kind of support would help them buy some wildfires :D.
    UnrEVOked forever will NOT work on Wildfire.

It never was nor has ever been developed for the Wildfire.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=752163

It is desgined to work on proper smart phones. Not low end grade Buzz.

It's the same as the main UnrEVOked tool, it was never developed with the intention of working on all android phones.

UnrEVOked is desgined by people for phones such as Evo etc, hence why there has been no immediate update to the Hboot, because it is not there target phone.

If you bothered to read and reasearch you would know this.

People were saying for weeks before Froyo came out that you would most likley lose HBoot.

Now you all have offical Froyo you all want to root and change your ROM's?!?!?!?!

Either go and buy a decent smart phone that people are geniunely intrested in hacking.

Or quit moaning that you have no root option.

Yeah that was helpful. So we need to get something like desireHd to be able to root? Of course unrevoked is directed to High-end devices and those are their priority. But if enough many people want it for wildfire they could hack it, we just have to wait longer...
    Any news about Unrevoked :confused:

No, and No.

I am extremely sure when there is an update, there will be 10 threads proclaiming this.

Till then, look here for updates:
    http://twitter.com/unrevoked
    czesiu, the main feature you gain from rooting is the ability to install CyanogenMod, where's Just-In-Time compilation was enabled in Dalvik, making all the system run twice smoother/faster together with the latest 2.3 Gingerbread :D. Also, you can just root the phone to flash a clean 2.2 froyo safely, like an ota update, but it doesn't modify the hboot, allowing you to root the phone later again.