[Kernel] OC to 1100Mhz and linaro gcc 4.7 (New version with fast display mode)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Has anyone tried out kernel-usbhost-176?

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using XDA Premium HD app

turtle555

Aug 22, 2009
I have NorefreshToggle installed, and it runs and gets superuser permissions and all that, I don't know if I know how to use it well enough to verifiy that it is working 100%. I have only messed around with the setting a little bit.

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
Simple bash script for 'Gscript' for toggling FastMode in FW 1.2 .
If I have time I'll write an apk to do that instead of 'Gscript'.
if [ "$(cat /sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode)" == 0 ]; then
echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode;
else
echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode;
fi

to be placed in /sdcard/gscript/

EDIT :
I don't want to start a new thread so ...
- script to enable/disable 'partial refresh mode' [works fine when you flip pages using hardware buttons] [FW 1.2]
Can be quite useful because you don't lose contrast nor colors [bits per pixel].

You can add shortcuts to both scripts on your home screen in ADW / Legacy Launcher.

Gscript :

https://code.google.com/p/gscript-android/downloads/list

EDIT 2:

for the list to be full
- NoRefresh_toggler.sh to turn on NoRefresh via Gscript
- updated previous scripts so that Gscript launches them and kills itself

EDIT 3 :
- 2 scripts to turn WIFI on and off.
I replaced my default "clock" button action [Nook Touch Mod Manager] with a shortcut to 'Gscipt' so that solution is kind of useful for me.
EDIT 4 :
- Just got my NSTGL from US
glow.sh - script to turn on Glowlight Control
EDIT 5 :
- to keep everything in one post
semi-persistent No Refresh
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35498159&postcount=1

Attachments

• toggle.sh.zip
    255 bytes · Views: 394
  • Partial_refresh.sh.zip
    279 bytes · Views: 327
  • NoRefresh_toggler.sh.zip
    223 bytes · Views: 355
  • WIFI_ON.sh.zip
    181 bytes · Views: 190
  • WIFI_OFF.sh.zip
    184 bytes · Views: 169
  • glow.sh.zip
    195 bytes · Views: 143
Last edited:

arohacs

Dec 27, 2008
That is the Kernel that I have been using this entire time, with 1.1.2
It has been working fantastic.

This newest version of 176 works great for me too - I'm using Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight 1.1.5

The older version of 174 did disable the glowlight, so I rolled back to 166, but that caused occasional crashing when the glowlight was on and I tried to plug the device in. Also crashed when I hit the rear button to sleep the device with the glowlight on. Also, some times the device just wouldn't wake up and I had to power down.

So far, this kernel runs a bit more zippy and slight less washed-out with fastmode on. Still a bit washed-out, though, to where it is more comfortable to embolden the font in coolreader.

Question:
I'd be interested to know how to lower the clock speed a bit to get slightly more contrast as I currently have to change the profile for button savior or it pretty much is rendered invisible at the default theme.

Edit: Adjusted transparency on the trigger button fixes the issue. Using Contrast(for E-INK) theme.

Also, the app tray button is barely visible but I know where it is so I just mash until I hit it.

With the clock speed slightly down, I might be able to hit the sweet spot between performance and visibility. Any advice?

Edit:
Tried AnTuTu CPU Master Free but it doesn't seem to make any changes.

Last edited:

matchosan

Nov 26, 2009
Mililani, Hawaii
HELP

I compiled the latest version with usbhost patch and I've put a ramdisk that I think should work with all versions (glow and no glow).
Also upload the file to install the normal kernel with the same modified ramdisk (the previous failed on glow version).
Now I'm very short for time and I have not been able to test, but I prefer to upload it, and in case anyone is encouraged to try, please, confirm proper operation so others can use it.

If only need the kernel, you can get it from the boot folder on the zip.

File Type: zip install-kernel-174-modified.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.15 MB, 61 views)
File Type: zip install-kernel-usbhost-176.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.15 MB, 51 views)

How do I go about installing either one of these zip files? I searched all over, and I am just unable to find the right commands to do so. Quite the novice with doing this, but am eager to learn.

With the help of guevor's instructions in the beginning of this thread, I think I got it with just the uImage file from one of the earlier builds.

I'm wanting to install the fastmode, and maybe usb host, hack, and just don't know how to.

I'm also wondering if it would be the same commands to install these zip files from osowiecki?

File Type: zip toggle.sh.zip - [Click for QR Code] (221 Bytes, 7 views)
File Type: zip Partial_refresh.sh.zip - [Click for QR Code] (246 Bytes, 9 views)

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

I was wondering what would be the best way to sideload apps to my NST, and remembered that I could go to the Google Play Store, and download then install directly from there. Didn't see this in any of the threads and just thought I should share this information.

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
How do I go about installing either one of these zip files? I searched all over, and I am just unable to find the right commands to do so. Quite the novice with doing this, but am eager to learn.

With the help of guevor's instructions in the beginning of this thread, I think I got it with just the uImage file from one of the earlier builds.

I'm wanting to install the fastmode, and maybe usb host, hack, and just don't know how to.

I'm also wondering if it would be the same commands to install these zip files from osowiecki?

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

I was wondering what would be the best way to sideload apps to my NST, and remembered that I could go to the Google Play Store, and download then install directly from there. Didn't see this in any of the threads and just thought I should share this information.

to install these zip's you have to :

-prepare a mSDcard with CWR on it
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1360994
-place zips on mSD
-run CWR and select "install zip from sdcard"

My zips contain 2 sh scripts. Put them in /sdcard/gscript.
This is a somewhat dirty workaround for the problem of FastMode.apk not working under FW 1.2.
Install 'Gscript.apk' and than run toggle.sh with it to swich FastMode on and off.

Last edited:
Reactions: baladev

matchosan

Nov 26, 2009
Mililani, Hawaii
to install these zip's you have to :

-prepare a mSDcard with CWR on it
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1360994
-place zips on mSD
-run CWR and select "install zip from sdcard"

My zips contain 2 sh scripts. Put them in /sdcard/gscript.
This is a somewhat dirty workaround for the problem of FastMode.apk not working under FW 1.2.
Install 'Gscript.apk' and than run toggle.sh with it to swich FastMode on and off.

Got them installed. Thanks osowiecki

ch3mikalie

May 19, 2009
shades of gray

When this fast mode is active, I cannot see shades of gray, I see only colors composited from black and white dots.
Is that what I have to see ?

Thank you

Last edited:

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
When this fast mode is active, I cannot see shades of gray, I see only colors composited from black and white dots.
Is that what I have to see ?

Thank you

If you have 'NoRefresh' installed check whether it is active (NoRefresh settings) when you try to launch 'FastMode' .
They cannot be both active at the same time.

userbe

Jun 17, 2007
Fast Mode work perfect, but USB host for KB only

I compiled the latest version with usbhost patch and I've put a ramdisk that I think should work with all versions (glow and no glow).
Also upload the file to install the normal kernel with the same modified ramdisk (the previous failed on glow version).
Now I'm very short for time and I have not been able to test, but I prefer to upload it, and in case anyone is encouraged to try, please, confirm proper operation so others can use it.

ATTACHED FILES
install-kernel-174-modified.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.15 MB, 79 views)
install-kernel-usbhost-176.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.15 MB, 79 views)

Tried on NST. Fast Mode work perfect - greetings to guevor, but USB host for KB only, not install drivers for usb audio and no usb disk. On usb-host-mt-sound-pack_0.2.zip them ( audio and disk) was worked great.

matteone

Feb 24, 2008
is anyone experiencing touch functionality stop after awaking from sleep with this kernel? now it always happens to me that after many hours of sleep, upon wake, nook looses touch and I need to reboot to get it back...

apap

Jan 31, 2003
I haven't used this kernel but I had touch functionality issues and would reboot until that failed and I read somewhere that even a spec of dust can do it. After wiping the screen with a cloth I have never had the provlem since.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

matteone

Feb 24, 2008
as impossible as it sounds, it really seems to be the case: I thoroughly cleaned the touch surface and blew the edges and it looks like it's not happening anymore... so definitely
nothing to do with kernel but some strange hardware mechanical behavior :)

David0226

Jul 17, 2012
Atwater, Ohio
I have been having this same issue. It started only after installing the 1.76 kernel a couple of days ago. Is it possible that this kernel makes the IR more sensitive? Cleaning the touch surface does clear up the problem, but it was not a problem at all with the stock kernel. I installed the 1.2.1 version of the B&N firmware before rooting using NookManager graphical rooter. Perhaps the touch screen driver has been modified in 1.2.1 and that is what is causing this weird behavior.

apap

Jan 31, 2003
I have been having this same issue. It started only after installing the 1.76 kernel a couple of days ago. Is it possible that this kernel makes the IR more sensitive? Cleaning the touch surface does clear up the problem, but it was not a problem at all with the stock kernel. I installed the 1.2.1 version of the B&N firmware before rooting using NookManager graphical rooter. Perhaps the touch screen driver has been modified in 1.2.1 and that is what is causing this weird behavior.

It could be. Though when I had the problem I was on a rooted 1.01 with multitouch and refresher. I eventually did a reformat thinking this was the problem but my screen remained unresponsive so I googled the issue and eventually found the cloth cleaning solution.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
I noticed intermittent sensor problems on my 2 NSTs after updating to this kernel, so was leery and rolled them both back to stock. At this point, I started paying more attention.

One of my NSTs is particularly sensitive, regardless of what firmware I run. I think it's more a case of the NST becoming more sensitive, though whether to build up or simply age, I can't say. If I don't use it for 2-3 days, I have to blow it out, then it works fine. I've tried all sorts of variations of cleaning the screen. It's odd, because it seems as dependent on time as on environment. It's in a drawer, so not collecting a lot of dust.

I've re-loaded this on the other unit, and it always wakes up with no problem if the screen is clear.

In short, it seems to be the device, and not any sort of side effect of running this kernel.

Reactions: smayonak

David0226

Jul 17, 2012
Atwater, Ohio
I rolled back to the stock kernel and have not had any problems since. Thus I conclude that at least on MY device, this new kernel is causing some problems with touch sensitivity.

2/7/2013 - UPDATE: I have done some additional testing and believe I can say conclusively that on version 1.2.1 the overclocking kernel IS causing the problem. After using the stock kernel for a week, I installed V1.66 of this kernel and the problem returned. I did find that pressing the 'n' button and then trying to use the touch screen sometimes clears the problem (without cleaning the touch surface).

I post this not to criticize or even to request a fix, but just as information so that if/when someone works on an update to the kernel they will know this issue exists and perhaps look for a solution as part of the update. As I stated in a previous post, I strongly suspect that the touch screen driver was modified in the 1.2.x updates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because I suffer some problems in the vision, I bought a Nook Simple Touch to perform some of the functions performed with my asus transformer but with an electronic ink display. I must say I'm quite satisfied with its functionalty, but despite having to severely limit my hours in front of screens, I could not resist to modify the kernel.

The kernel adds frequencies of 1GHz and 1.1GHz, besides being modified to compile using gcc 4.7 from Linaro. I've also changed some compilation options.
    The kernel includes the modifications for multitouch.

Attached the patch for the original source code 1.1 and my build.
    Don't forget to rename the uImage.img to uImage (renamed it to allow the uploading)

Since version 2, the kernel support the normal and glow versions.

REMOVED temporarily
    New version of FastMode.apk written by me.
    Works on FW 1.2.x.
    No one else wanted to do this, so I have learned something new and created my first android apk.
    You can thank me later.
    New version with a new fast display mode

I've been testing the epaper's driver, both to see how it work and to testing if I could get something new.

I added a parameter (/ sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode) that can enable a new fast mode.

By default starts at 0, so it works very much as always (although I modified some behavior, I have to do more tests), and if we put it to 1 enables a new faster mode.

To not extend much (and avoid being too much in front of the computer screen), I recorded a video showing the new mode, and also put a couple of images to compare the normal mode with the new one.

I have also created a small program that will allow us to switch between the two modes (I use the Reading now button for it)

Hope you are interested.

New version

Apart from some arrangements, I added smartassV2 as new governor, sio as the new io scheduler and veno as tcp congestion control.
    I hope the first thing improves system response, the second improved access to the flash and the third improve somewhat the wifi.
    Anyway, the best way to check is to try and comment the results because not everyone uses it the same way.

As always put the kernel file, uImage.img, to be renamed uImage before installing and a zip file to install all from cwm recovery, this time including a uRamdisk modified to use smartassV2 since boot.