[Q] SIM asks for PIN multiple times during day

Search This thread
S

Slaytanic

Hi,
I have a problem with my HTC one x.. I have a pin set on the SIM card which I enter as soon as I power on the phone... The problem is that sometimes I unblock the phone to use it and I find it one the PIN screen, as if the SIM was reset... Does it happen to any of you? May it be a software bug or a hardware bug related to the SIM tray? I've written to the support to notify the problem and make them consider it for future fw releases and they answered me telling me how to remove the PIN from the phone o_O
It is quite annoying since if you do not unblock the phone you risk to miss some calls and sms if the SIM gets blocked... I hope I won't need to send it to HTC...

I've just published my first android application, SIM Locked Notifier, which enables you to activate a ringtone or vibration (or both) when PIN/PUK is required. In this way you avoid missing calls or messages when your phone is out of the network, waiting for a PIN.

Get SIM Locked Notifier on Google Play!

I hope you find it useful, yesterday it warned me two times about this PIN issue (I'm happy because my app works, but I'm worried about this issue... hope they solve it soon).

The app is not heavy, it does nothing until the SIM State changed broadcast event is fired and the state is PIN/PUK required.

REMEMBER: run the app at least once after installation to enable the SIM Locked Notifier monitor. You must do this only once after installation, then it works even after a reboot.

Last edited:

H-Cim

Sep 13, 2010
Hi,
I have a problem with my HTC one x.. I have a pin set on the SIM card which I enter as soon as I power on the phone... The problem is that sometimes I unblock the phone to use it and I find it one the PIN screen, as if the SIM was reset... Does it happen to any of you? May it be a software bug or a hardware bug related to the SIM tray? I've written to the support to notify the problem and make them consider it for future fw releases and they answered me telling me how to remove the PIN from the phone o_O
It is quite annoying since if you do not unblock the phone you risk to miss some calls and sms if the SIM gets blocked... I hope I won't need to send it to HTC...

Inviato dal mio HTC One X con Tapatalk 2

Just a question to be sure: you aren't putting the device in "Flyplane Mode" right ? Because that makes the device lose all signal and requires to re-enter the pin code on activating.

Nevertheless this could be some kind of signal issue or an issue with the sim. Did you perhaps cut the micro-sim by yourself ? If so you could try to get a new one or try the sim card of a friend to see if that one works.

If none of the above is possible just try a hard reset (not a factory reset) and remove the sim card, check for any kind of dust or damage and plug it back in.

If problem continues I'd go back to your store and ask them if they know what to do.

S

Slaytanic

Just a question to be sure: you aren't putting the device in "Flyplane Mode" right ? Because that makes the device lose all signal and requires to re-enter the pin code on activating.

Nevertheless this could be some kind of signal issue or an issue with the sim. Did you perhaps cut the micro-sim by yourself ? If so you could try to get a new one or try the sim card of a friend to see if that one works.

If none of the above is possible just try a hard reset (not a factory reset) and remove the sim card, check for any kind of dust or damage and plug it back in.

If problem continues I'd go back to your store and ask them if they know what to do.

No, it was not in airplane mode.. I've cut the sim at the beginning and after I noticed this problem I've bought a new micro SIM.. sure the bad signal is a problem where I work, which is the place where I've experienced the problem more times.. how is a hard reset done? Do I loose my data? Thanks

peopleschamp

Jul 25, 2008
Florence
The same happens to my phone. 5 minutes ago, while having no signal, but using wi fi, my phone asked pin code. i have a 3 micro sim, not a cut one

jeyml

Apr 20, 2012
Constanta
Beware this is a great problem.My wife had a Nokia E63 if i remember good and she had the same problem with it.Several times a day the phone asked her to enter the PIN.When she got the phone to Nokia they gave her a new one because the motherboard was faulty and it kinda makes sense because the sim reader is attached to the motherboard and the only way you can fix it is to get a new motherboard.Get your phone to repair immediately.

peopleschamp

Jul 25, 2008
Florence
i don't think is an hardware issue. it does not happen every day and only staying for a long time without signal. i think i is the radio software. in fact it happens after installing ota update

mucek4

May 1, 2012
Tržič
Hello,

don't blame me for my first post. Exactly the same problem happens to me also. HTC ONE x updated 2 days ago and if phone gets to an area of no signal it askes for PIN again.
Simobil (Vodafone) in Slovenia

S

Slaytanic

I've updated this morning to 1.29, let's see if it solves the problem.. btw today I've noticed that if it looses signal because there is bad signal in the area, sometimes when you exit that area it keeps saying that there is no signal.. swimching to 2g+3g from 2g only or vice versa it makes it reconnect to the cellular network.. these seem some sort of radio bugs...

S

Slaytanic

It happened again, where signal was bad, even on fw 1.29

dmitry.petrov

Mar 10, 2010
Moscow
Same here

Have the same problem, only without PIN (I have not enabled it). So the phone loses signal (it's pretty weak), and then just hangs in 'no network' mode.

Also when starting up, I often see 'preparing SIM' message, and SIM application (SIM Tools or something like that) is 'unavailable' when I try to run it.

I'll try to find out if it depends on provider, but my Desire with the same provider works just fine right here side-to-side with OneX.

Hope it's a software bug, not hardware - I've bought my OneX on Clove with shipping to Russia, it'll take time to ship it back for repair or replace, and official service centers here will not take my phone, I think :(

S

Slaytanic

SIM Locked Notifier app on Google Play market

I've just published my first android application, SIM Locked Notifier, which enables you to activate a ringtone or vibration (or both) when PIN/PUK is required.
In this way you avoid missing calls or messages when your phone is out of the network, waiting for a PIN.

Get SIM Locked Notifier on Google Play!

I hope you find it useful, yesterday it warned me two times about this PIN issue (I'm happy because my app works, but I'm worried about this issue... hope they solve it soon).

The app is not heavy, it does nothing until the SIM State changed broadcast event is fired and the state is PIN/PUK required.

REMEMBER: run the app at least once after installation to enable the SIM Locked Notifier monitor. You must do this only once after installation, then it works even after a reboot.

Last edited:

twe69

Dec 24, 2008
I have the same problem on my Three 1.28 firmware here in the UK.....
Noticed it after it got updated from 1.26.....

S

Slaytanic

Just updated to the new firnware, which has new radio fw.. maybe the issue is solved now.. I think my app will have very very few downloads, btw it has been a good test project to learn a bit about android :)

25b34de5-37a4-6ded.jpg

godutch

Jun 29, 2009
www.burgerforumeu.nl
For a while it seemed to me it was a software problem but today I decided to look around in the XL forum if I could find people having the same problem, since they have basically the same hardware but a very different radio and it looks like they too have the problem. I think it most be a mechanical problem but since I unlocked I am out of warranty. Maybe we can think of a solution. I tried sticky tape on the back but that doesn't work, maybe the sim shorts, like it did for iphone users: http://www.iphoneradar.co.uk/news/iphone-4-signal-fix/

anyway maybe we can think of a fix, a way to scrape the sim/add stick/ bend sim tray so it won't happen

S

Slaytanic

Is this topic still open? I have the same situation here, What would be the best thing to do now?

I've just installed the OTA update and I'm waiting to see if it happens again in the next day.. I still don't know if it is a radio firmware bug or an hardware bug of our HOX... In the meanwhile you can use my app, SIM Locked Notifier, to notify yourself if the phone is asking for the SIM pin code (it saves you from loosing important calls..).

REMEMBER: launch the app once at least after installation in order to make it working.. then it automatically works even after a reboot.

Last edited:

godutch

Jun 29, 2009
www.burgerforumeu.nl
Is this topic still open? I have the same situation here, What would be the best thing to do now?

Well I finally found out the cause of the problem, it an improper fit of the tray in the tray holder, a slight bend of the cause or the tray can cause a disconnect. If you still have warranty claim it, else you could try buying a new tray (cheap around 5 euros on ebay) or if you are adventurous you could tray opening your hox, be sure to tape the buttons before opening it!!!! and watch the videos before you do it

Last edited:
Reactions: Pietje_1985
S

Slaytanic

Well I finally found out the cause of the problem, it an improper fit of the tray in the tray holder, a slight bend of the cause or the tray can cause a disconnect. If you still have warranty claim it, else you could try buying a new tray (cheap around 5 euros on ebay) or if you are adventurous you could tray opening your hox, be sure to tape the buttons before opening it!!!! and watch the videos before you do it

It happens to me only when there is very bad signal, if it was the tray it should happen even on good signal, right?

godutch

Jun 29, 2009
www.burgerforumeu.nl
It happens to me only when there is very bad signal, if it was the tray it should happen even on good signal, right?

If the sim disconnects, first the signal will drop, I believe there is some time out, if it disconnects for a certain time it will ask for the pin again, else it will just reconnect. At first I was convinced it was a software issue because that's what baadnwz (the maker of the insertcoin roms) said, and he has made some changes to the framework which improve the issue but after having opened my hox I am convinced it's a mechanical problem. If you don't believe me try to open your hox with the sim tray inserted and see that you will get sim disconnect errors when you start applying force

mayurh

Jul 8, 2010
Johannesburg
If the sim disconnects, first the signal will drop, I believe there is some time out, if it disconnects for a certain time it will ask for the pin again, else it will just reconnect. At first I was convinced it was a software issue because that's what baadnwz (the maker of the insertcoin roms) said, and he has made some changes to the framework which improve the issue but after having opened my hox I am convinced it's a mechanical problem. If you don't believe me try to open your hox with the sim tray inserted and see that you will get sim disconnect errors when you start applying force

so you believe its a hardware issue?
im sending my hox in , im so fed up of this issue.
it cant be the thickness of the sim card cause without even touching the phone the signal comes back after like 20 mins and it prompts again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

SIM asks for PIN multiple times during day

I had this problem on my Vodafone_De HTC One X with firmware 2.17.161.4 and 2.1204.167D1.21 radio. The problem occurred randomly through the day despite the signal strength.
    After trying almost every possible workaround (hard reset, GSM Only, disabling "fast boot" in Power Menu), here is what finally helped me with this problem:
    1) Dial *#*#4636#*#*
    2) Open Phone Info Menu
    3) Turn off!!! IMS Registration required

Hope this helps somebody with similar issue.