[APP][4.1+] Google Now with independant locale

Search This thread

Sletmo

Jul 29, 2012
google_now.png

After flashing Jelly Bean to my device I quickly discovered the problem which many non-US members have been talking about, it was impossible to use Google Now to it's full potential without changing the system language to English (US). I thought that there had to be some simple solution to this problem, so I searched around here on xda for any mod that fixed this, but there wasn't any success. So, after some simple smali editing I now present to you

Google Now with independant locale
This mod allows you to continue using Google Now as you're used to, but without having to compromise with your own language of choice - Whether it be Spanish, French, Swedish or any other language that is supported as of Jelly Bean. The only thing that is required is replacing the old Google Now apk with the new one.

Disclaimer
- You are responsible for anything that could potentially harm your device by using this app. If you are worried, make a Nandroid.
- I can't guarantee that this will mod will work on your device/configuration. If it doesn't, please provide a logcat so I attempt to fix the problem.

Download link below the screenshot

Screenshot showing Google Now in Swedish
device-2012-07-27-151216.png

Installation Instructions
(Requires Jelly Bean or above)
1. Download the file from dl.dropbox.com/u/22829424/Velvet.apk (unclickable because of insufficient post count)
2. Remount /system with read/write permissions
3. Copy the apk to /system/app/Velvet.apk
IMPORTANT - If Velvet.apk does not already exist in /system/app/ it could be having another name. If GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk is there, replace that file instead.
4. Remount /system with read-only permissions again
5. Install the apk as you would the normal way (Users on the Swedish forum I originally posted this on found this to be required)

If you want to perform step 2 - 4 using adb, these are the commands to use
Code:
adb remount
adb push Velvet.apk /system/app/Velvet.apk
adb remount

Last edited:

jcgtreize

Jul 18, 2012
Marseille
Must have to try that.

Do we have to speak english to Google Voice in order to be understood ? -my accent is ugly, it will not help:(-

Last edited:
Reactions: tedy212

nono71

Dec 19, 2010
I am French
I installed your version of a Galaxy S GT i9000 with CM10 ALPHA but I have no voice answers me?
can you do something?
thank you

Last edited:

Sletmo

Jul 29, 2012
I am French
I installed your version of a Galaxy S GT i9000 with CM10 ALPHA but I have no voice answers me?
can you do something?
thank you

Have you tried setting the TTS language to English (US)? There could be some sort of error I made when modifying the apk that only allows that language.

nono71

Dec 19, 2010
even putting the language of the TTS language of English (U.S.) that does not work I have never in my voice that responds

Sletmo

Jul 29, 2012
even putting the language of the TTS language of English (U.S.) that does not work I have never in my voice that responds

Could you try pulling a logcat from your device after you've received an answer from Google Now and link a pastebin here? There could be something useful there

Sletmo

Jul 29, 2012
what do you mean I do not understand

Well, if you download this tool I saw on the portal the other day
xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1747544

Then use your mobile device and go to Google Now, enter/ask a question that you know for sure will result in a voice response (try "where is the closest mcdonalds"). When you see the response on the screen, use the tool you previously downloaded and get the log from your device.

Once the log is saved, upload it to pastebin.com and post a link to your pastebin here :)

hey_malik

Works fine for me on my nexus s i9023 in Germany on the brainmaster ROM.
Although I am a little confused about the mix of language settings.
The app seems to be in german, but I selected English (US) for the search.
So I have to ask questions in english and get answers in german. Though I thought the whole app would be in english.

Gesendet von meinem A510 mit Tapatalk 2

nono71

Dec 19, 2010
ok thank you for handling but I'm not too l time since I prepared to go on Holydays I would see when I come back to see it

doumer

Jun 7, 2010
Stuttgart
working fine on my hox, but on my xoom it doesn't work. noticed that the velvet.apk has also a different size on my xoom then yours.

primerib

May 20, 2010
So..before I try this..im simply asking.
If my phone system is in german:

If I ask a question in english...what language will it answer?

If I ask a question in German..Which language will it answer?

What im trying to do. is have my system language stay in german.
But be able to talk and get answers in my phone in english?

Last edited:

D-m-x

Apr 28, 2011
Germany
Im German too, this works like you want it too. I have my System Language set to German and I ask Google Now Questions in English. The Output Language is also English. If you ask a Question in German it simply won't be understood.

jtuduri

Apr 25, 2011
Could someone make a standalone flashable CWM zip? Not the whole GAPPS package? I would do it myself, but i lack the knowledge. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    google_now.png

After flashing Jelly Bean to my device I quickly discovered the problem which many non-US members have been talking about, it was impossible to use Google Now to it's full potential without changing the system language to English (US). I thought that there had to be some simple solution to this problem, so I searched around here on xda for any mod that fixed this, but there wasn't any success. So, after some simple smali editing I now present to you

Google Now with independant locale
    This mod allows you to continue using Google Now as you're used to, but without having to compromise with your own language of choice - Whether it be Spanish, French, Swedish or any other language that is supported as of Jelly Bean. The only thing that is required is replacing the old Google Now apk with the new one.

Disclaimer
    - You are responsible for anything that could potentially harm your device by using this app. If you are worried, make a Nandroid.
    - I can't guarantee that this will mod will work on your device/configuration. If it doesn't, please provide a logcat so I attempt to fix the problem.

Download link below the screenshot

Screenshot showing Google Now in Swedish
    device-2012-07-27-151216.png

Installation Instructions
    (Requires Jelly Bean or above)
    1. Download the file from dl.dropbox.com/u/22829424/Velvet.apk (unclickable because of insufficient post count)
    2. Remount /system with read/write permissions
    3. Copy the apk to /system/app/Velvet.apk
    IMPORTANT - If Velvet.apk does not already exist in /system/app/ it could be having another name. If GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk is there, replace that file instead.
    4. Remount /system with read-only permissions again
    5. Install the apk as you would the normal way (Users on the Swedish forum I originally posted this on found this to be required)

If you want to perform step 2 - 4 using adb, these are the commands to use
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb push Velvet.apk /system/app/Velvet.apk
    adb remount
    Great mod!!

I updated and signed the JB gapps pack with your modded apk for easy flashing.

http://mirrorafile.com/files/06V1EP8L/JBAPPS-SIGNED.zip
    Okay, I never had the time to create a post yesterday, but here's the flashable zip.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22829424/googlenow_customlocale.zip

Note that this zip will install a library in /system/lib, this should originally be in /data/data, but I haven't found a way to keep the library in there across reboots.

The OP will be updated later today.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Never tried working with apk files or editing them, I assume it would be wise to look for the differences between the modded version and the original one, and apply those edits on the new version.
    Any idea how to check those differences..?

Sent from my GT-I9300 / Firefds v11 ELK4 / Phenomenal 4.0 Extreme kernel
    XDA Premium (HD)

i can do it but i need the original old version of google now to compare with the modded one..... forget it.... that version is in Google Apps :D i will work on it now :D
    Just so you guys now, I haven't completely abandoned this project. I have been quite busy lately, hence I haven't been able to provide support in this thread - that changes as of now!

About the new update of Google Now:
    I have spent part of the weekend trying to find the one line that matters instead of replacing multiple lines that looks the same. This is partly to avoid conflicts with other locale specific stuff (weather forecast for example) and because the apk wasn't obfocused this time, resulting in me not being able to use a diff tool.

There will also be an official update zip now because the process of installing the new version has advanced. I will provide information for installing manually as well.

The flashable zip is almost complete and will be uploaded soon (expect an hour or two, I'm not at home right now).

Questions will be answered when the new version is out, thanks for being patient :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk