[Q] formatting internal SD card

Search This thread

xhuttra

Aug 26, 2013
Hey Guys,

After doing some reading about Folder & partition structure of Android, I am totally confused & in worse condition.

My question is simple;

Flashing a new ROM does not reset/delete the folder in the internal SD card. Since I have capacity problem, I would like to delete those folders and make fresh start. How can I do this? Is is safe to delete /android/data folder?

Under setting/storage, the sum of all folders is around 5.2 GB, while it shows the total as 8.8 GB. Where is the rest of my space?

Best Regards

I have a GT-I9500, running Arrow ROM 11.0 (android 4.3)

linkisoc

Jan 9, 2008
Philz recovery has an option to format the device internal memory.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

maurocds

Jan 30, 2013
9505 has 9.13gb

in recovery before flashing a rom you have to wipe data, system, cache, dalvkit cache, etc

i wist phyl recovery sayd wike internal memory, but there is no option like that, only wipe sdcard1 (external)

xiabonan

Sep 9, 2013
Okay this is what you need to do.

First download official firmware through SamMobile, then flash the .tar file through Odin, the boot into recovery, factory reset, the flash the same .tar file again. This will wipe out ALL your data on internal storage and give you a true fresh start. Of course after that if you're not happy you can always flash a custom recovery and flash a ROM.

xhuttra

Aug 26, 2013
Thanks for the replies. Going back to original firmware, seems like a tough route.

When I connect my device to windows, it simply allows me to format the SD card. What would happen IF I just do that? Would I brick the phone or loose an irrecoverable important data? (I don't care, If some bloatware does not work or loose its data)

dratsablive

Feb 20, 2011
HARRISBURG
Thanks for the replies. Going back to original firmware, seems like a tough route.

When I connect my device to windows, it simply allows me to format the SD card. What would happen IF I just do that? Would I brick the phone or loose an irrecoverable important data? (I don't care, If some bloatware does not work or loose its data)

I'm pretty sure if you format the internal card from a Terminal prompt, you will brick your phone.