[GSCRIPT MOD] HOW TO change system fonts in Android UPDATED 06/08/2010

Search This thread

socket84

Mar 27, 2009
Hi guys,
another day, another tip!

Today I will explain how to change your system fonts at will, but as download and set them free.
You will say that our phone has this function ... But it is not true, or rather, this function has to pay.
To avoid spending money unnecessarily, I will explain where to download millions of characters and how to apply them in a few clicks!
Let's start!

What we need:
- Samsung Galaxy S i9000 ;) ;) ;)
- Phone rooted with STAND ALONE PROCEDURE (all credits to Leshak);
- IMPORTANT, BUSYBOX from Market;
- Gscript from Market (all credits of this app goes to PinkVenture, if you like it, buy a full version);
- My tips ;) ;) ;)

What will do:
- Download any font you like from THIS SITE (all credit goes to this site) or any site that lets you download free fonts;
- Create a folder called Fonts in you internal sdcard:
- Rename the downloaded font in 2 files called(2 files with differents names, same main file):
DroidSans.ttf
DroidSans-Bold.ttf
- Copy those file in /sdcard/Fonts;
- Start Gscript, leave it to take Superuser acces, then press on:
Menu --> Add script --> Load file
and close it;
- a new folder called gscript was created;
- Download my zip file contenets all of 3 scripts that we need:
BackupSystemFonts - backup all your system fonts from /system/fonts to /sdcard/Fonts/bak
ChangeSystemFonts - change the system fonts
RestoreBakSystemFonts - restore the backed up system fonts from /sdcard/Fonts/bak to /system/fonts
- Copy all 3 scripts in the gscript folder on internal sdcard:
- Start Gscript and then press:
select the script that you want and check Need SU? then save;
- A new script is added!
- Press on the script you want and it start!
- Well done, the new font is applied!!

Archive password: socketandroid84

Needless to say that now you can choose any font you want and apply it without any problem with only 2 clicks quickly and safely!
I hope that the trick will be useful!

Update 06/08/2010 - LOOP SCREEN RESOLVED
- Before apply the scripts install BUSYBOX from MARKE
T; there is a bug in the old version of busybox installed by the update.zip for root our phone. It's install an old version of busybox that doesn't use the "cp" command.
So, when you go to remove and copy the new fonts though the script, it's remove the old ones but doesn't copy the new ones. You can resolve this bug simply install the last version of BUSYBOX from market!

Disclaimer
This mod is free to use, but at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any conflict, fault, or damage caused by this appling morph theme. No warranties of any kind are given. I have tested my product and have not found any problems with it.

Attachments

• snap20100725_174524.jpg
    snap20100725_174524.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 4,457
  • snap20100725_174537.jpg
    snap20100725_174537.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 5,073
Last edited:

deadgamer

Jul 9, 2010
Thanks. First time I tried changing fonts (not using this method) I ended up reflashing the whole thing because it got stuck on the i9000 welcome screen so be carefull dealing with fonts (yeah sounds weird I know) ^_^

lenrek

Jun 29, 2010
I thought we can change font:

Menu->Settings->Sound and Display->Font Style

I am still trying to figure out how to add more fonts.

inku

Jul 2, 2010
Google Pixel 4a
Thanks for the easy method.
My results:

Attachments

• snap20100726_193035.jpg
    snap20100726_193035.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,722
  • snap20100726_192611.jpg
    snap20100726_192611.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,855

sunwee

May 8, 2009
is it possible to change the font size too? because some of the 3rd party fonts look really nice, but a bit too small when applied.

Mikulec

Oct 19, 2007
Sereď
Are there any prerequisities for the fonts? Because I tried one and the phone got stuck in bootscreen, so I was forced to make a reflash of FW.

I found out that I have fonts with 2 different icons (all files are .ttf), one icon has TT and the other one has O on it (see attached screenshot).

Attachments

• Screen.JPG
    Screen.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 621

inku

Jul 2, 2010
Google Pixel 4a
Really nice font!!! Can u upload it?? Thanks mate

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
Thanks the font name is Bauhaus and is a paid font so i don't think i can share it sorry.

Are there any prerequisities for the fonts? Because I tried one and the phone got stuck in bootscreen, so I was forced to make a reflash of FW.

I found out that I have fonts with 2 different icons (all files are .ttf), one icon has TT and the other one has O on it (see attached screenshot).

probably that one is a .otf font with a renamed extension.

elumes

Jul 31, 2010
Crap, I did the same thing :mad: - Gets stuck while booting...

Might want to give a clearer warning in the first post about the need for a true, ttf. I'm apparently way too anxious to get things going than reading all posts :D

alpayedo

Jul 24, 2010
heck same here end up stuck at boot screen. is this really due to the font i want to switch? how do i know it's a real ttf font?

socket84

Mar 27, 2009
Every FONTS in this site work very well:

FONTS

If you want to reset, reflash or press the power button for 10 sec i think... search in the wiki!

loinenavant

Nov 7, 2009
For me, it worked once with 2.1, then, after flashing another 2.1 firmware it got stuck while booting.

With 2.2 it doesn't seem to work...

furt890

Jul 25, 2010
Stuck at loading screen too, only option is to flash ?? or is there any other option ?

Monkey101

Feb 26, 2009
Kind of lost how to reset the phone.
Is the only way to do it by pressing Volume down and turning it on?
Not in the mood to lose all my Data. :-/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,
    another day, another tip!

Today I will explain how to change your system fonts at will, but as download and set them free.
    You will say that our phone has this function ... But it is not true, or rather, this function has to pay.
    To avoid spending money unnecessarily, I will explain where to download millions of characters and how to apply them in a few clicks!
    Let's start!

What we need:
    - Samsung Galaxy S i9000 ;) ;) ;)
    - Phone rooted with STAND ALONE PROCEDURE (all credits to Leshak);
    - IMPORTANT, BUSYBOX from Market;
    - Gscript from Market (all credits of this app goes to PinkVenture, if you like it, buy a full version);
    - My tips ;) ;) ;)

What will do:
    - Download any font you like from THIS SITE (all credit goes to this site) or any site that lets you download free fonts;
    - Create a folder called Fonts in you internal sdcard:
    - Rename the downloaded font in 2 files called(2 files with differents names, same main file):
    DroidSans.ttf
    DroidSans-Bold.ttf
    - Copy those file in /sdcard/Fonts;
    - Start Gscript, leave it to take Superuser acces, then press on:
    and close it;
    - a new folder called gscript was created;
    - Download my zip file contenets all of 3 scripts that we need:
    BackupSystemFonts - backup all your system fonts from /system/fonts to /sdcard/Fonts/bak
    ChangeSystemFonts - change the system fonts
    RestoreBakSystemFonts - restore the backed up system fonts from /sdcard/Fonts/bak to /system/fonts
    - Copy all 3 scripts in the gscript folder on internal sdcard:
    - Start Gscript and then press:
    select the script that you want and check Need SU? then save;
    - A new script is added!
    - Press on the script you want and it start!
    - Well done, the new font is applied!!

Archive password: socketandroid84

Needless to say that now you can choose any font you want and apply it without any problem with only 2 clicks quickly and safely!
    I hope that the trick will be useful!

Update 06/08/2010 - LOOP SCREEN RESOLVED
    - Before apply the scripts install BUSYBOX from MARKE
    T; there is a bug in the old version of busybox installed by the update.zip for root our phone. It's install an old version of busybox that doesn't use the "cp" command.
    So, when you go to remove and copy the new fonts though the script, it's remove the old ones but doesn't copy the new ones. You can resolve this bug simply install the last version of BUSYBOX from market!

Disclaimer
    This mod is free to use, but at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any conflict, fault, or damage caused by this appling morph theme. No warranties of any kind are given. I have tested my product and have not found any problems with it.
    Bravo!
    I was wondering how to apply new fonts that I want besides those
    from manufacturer. Thanks a lot :)