WM65 (English/German) OS Builder Kitchen + ROMs for Typhoon based on Aleut's WM65 ROM

Search This thread

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Final update: (diff from 20120408):

• cleaned up some resource files (saving quite some space)
  • added icons to those which had none
  • made provxml tracing the same for all
  • added some small games (these eat the saved space from above)
  • added an option panel to setup the volume of VoiceTag (from my other kitchen)
  • made D3Demo an extra package
  • added the very latest NetCF 3.5 as modules in an own package
  • added a few more color schemes and backgrounds
  • patched the keyboard driver to not require a dedicated subdirectory "Keys" in \windows
  • patched the nk.exe to identify itself as "TYPH100" to allow better skin selection for remote access tools
  • renamed mtty to the correct name (was mmty.exe)
  • fixed the welcome.exe for the German Mui to correctly delete the welcome.lnk from autostart at first boot.
  • removed the _cabs folder form the kitchen. Get it from an older kitchen

Updated 2012 04 08: A new update to the kitchen folder. The older OS Builder stuff is moved to a dedicated subfolder. Now SDHC cards are supported and a later version of USBFN is bundled only with WM5torage (not recommended on Typhoon).

Updated: 2012 01 15: The old batch kitchen is moved to a dedicated folder in the Mediafire share. You find now a much improved OS Builder (see post 3) Kitchen as well as a set of ready-to-use builds to download. I have also updated the list of included programs below.

Here it is finally - another port of the batch kitchen I had once taken from Nitrogen for the Tornado and ported to Hurricane already - the simple kitchen for the Typhoon/Feeler/Amadeus.

The default settings were cooked to a ROM already, so you may want to try that first before you cook yourself (which is very easy, even for noobs).

It is completely localized for German keeping the English from Aleut's original WM65 ROM. He already had published a kitchen for that device here at XDA, however only as a side-note in an existing thread asking for WM65.

I have updated some applications to the last available version, added some OEM packages from the Tornado kitchen and merged some from the Ginza MS100 kitchen - also a device with QQVGA and a WM65 kitchen.
As this device has a limited ROM size of 27MB (x'1b00000), the tweaking of size and available applications was a major activity. All changes done to the original files are left in a separate folder in the kitchen.

The default settings for cooking are containing the following applications:

• 20MB base package (all options off in OSBuilder), leaving 7MB of additional ingredients to push in, my choice for you:
  • .NET CF 3.5 already on-board
  • T9 English and German
  • WM6.5 Menus (skinned) (selectable in the kitchen, not in builds anymore)
  • full Media Support:
    • Arcsoft MMS 3.5.2.15C
    • HTC Camera (as it always was)
    • Media Codecs (common filetypes, also midi works as ringtones)
    • Cyberon Voice Dial
    • WM-player supports the additional keys for the Amadeus (SDA Music)
  • More Entertainment:
    • Kevtris 2.0, a great Tetris clone with nice additional options (sliders, weird blocks etc.) - keeps your joystick busy. (*)
  • several Bluetooth profiles (updated from S740 aka Rose):
    • Bluetooth SAP (Sim Access Profile)
    • Bluetooth FTP Client (HTC BT Explorer)
    • Bluetooth A2DP included (with settings) but it only works on lowest quality due to HW limitations (removed now)
  • GPS Intermediate drivers (from WM5&6) including setup program. This allows to share one BT GPS receiver for several applications at the same time.
  • HTC Comm Manager. This allows to set the Radio really OFF if you have no or no valid SIM Card. After 3 minutes the radio gets back on otherwise even if shut off with MS-wrlsmgr. Once after 3 minutes off-time it stays off even after reboot. [Edit 20120324:] It is not necessary to have HTC CommManager do this - the normal MSWrlsmgr can do the same, provided that you do not leave it with "done" but keep it running for these 3 minutes in background.
  • Many other tools:
    • Total Commander 2.5ß3 (*)
    • WM5torage 1.9 [Edit 20120324:] The usbfn.dll which can handle the WM5torage driver is creating problems with parallel Music Playback and any USB connection (also AS via RNDIS or Serial) It seems that some I/O ports are used the same. You better avoid using that when cooking.
    • maniac's Autokeylock
    • MortScript 4.2 (*)
    • Easter Uninstaller (*)
    • Oxios Memory
    • Vito Copy/Paste
    • FEADIE (managing file extension for Internet Explorer) (*)
    • Modaco NoData
    • Clear Type Power Toy (adjust the Gamma for CT)
    • Mobile Config: an XML based registry tweaker (only in the kitchen)
    • Caller Location core (vibrate on connect)
    • Multi Flashlight
    • Safe Inbox Extender
* (in the non sliding panels build only)
The pagepool used is now 4MB to give a suitable performance (was only 2MB in previous setup - very slow). However you can adjust this with tools included in the kitchen if you want to change it. ROM size and Storage is fixed on the device, so you have 27.97 MB total storage and free are 24.64. Mind that packages you save from the ROM are not giving you gain in storage space, so keep the ROM filled to the 27MB with what you consider useful.
RAM is tight here anyway, best gain is if you don't use the sliding homescreen and disable the Camera Driver.

I have also added some options regarding key definition to the Tweaks settings. This allows to select the keyboard driver for Typhoon/Feeler/Amadeus and also to activate the additional WMP plugin for the Amadeus.

So finally here is the share to get all: http://www.mediafire.com/?3tt15dyp4mbuu
Please hover the mouse over the download links to see their description.

Finally you may want to look at the Beginners Guide for Cooking which you find linked in my signature - this give some insight of what is happening.

Last edited:

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Some more info on available memory (RAM) which is really tight on this device. You can roughly save RAM in the following order:

1. > 2MB: Don't use the sliding panels homescreen. Unfortunately this is the nicest visible sign of WM6.1/6.5 - but if you just use the "Windows Standard" Homescreen there is more than 2MB gain in RAM!
  2. > 1MB: De-activate the Camera driver, all SDA Business users (without camera anyway) should do that!
  3. ~ 500kB: De-activate the Date/Time save driver. If you don't mind setting the date/time by hand after battery removal or have the device connected to the PC anyway with AS.
I have not noticed a gain when de-activating the Carkit driver.

For clean conditions when testing, please always reboot the device after changing settings. I noticed that even unchanged settings will not produce identical values after reboot. Tests were done with clean reboot, full initialisation of the Homescreen and then starting Oxios Hibernate.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Nobody seems to care about this old stuff anymore :-(
Mediafire has logged 19 downloads of the built ROM and 15 of the kitchen, but not a single "thanks" in the thread - if you use it, just say thanks for my motivation, please.

Anyway I have migrated the kitchen to OSBuilder which has more tweaking options regarding Kernel parameters and also gives more other control over the build.

Is anyone interested in getting the relevant OS Builder package?

You need to install OSBuilder first and can then start cooking right away after you have the package that I could publish.

In the process of dealing with the very limited amount of RAM especially for the Typhoon I had to reverse on 2 things I did in the past for the sake of squeezing ROM and RAM space. Both have adverse effects to what is initially intended. I had published and discussed this in detail in this thread. So you must avoid the following:

1. Cutting down the Paging Pool to the bear minimum (so the device still boots). This gets you free RAM, true - but it will cut you off the space in RAM where the code of the programs goes! So a small paging pool will actually prevent that you can run many programs, despite of the free RAM. So it is advisable NOT to cut the paging pool below 4 MB in my experience.
  2. Using UPX to squeeze ROM space. While it works to get more data stuffed to the ROM, the resulting executable will no more be able to utilize the paging pool for its execution. The whole code goes to the free RAM and not just the currently used part in the paging pool. So by saving ROM space (or filesystem space in general) with UPX you are wasting actually RAM a lot!
Because of 2.) above I have reverted to all original packages - so no UPX anywhere in the ROM build or any related package. I had to remove a few things from the default package selection, but nothing that cannot be installed later anyway. Due to non working A2DP I have also removed that again completely.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Kitchen Updated to OS Builder, new example builds included

To those who want to get the fastest and most advanced kitchen and builds available for Typhoon. You can pick from Mediafire:

• a 7Z with 4 builds to flash the device with, 2 sorts with either English or German as default language (you can change in the regional settings anyway).
  • a 7Z with the OS Builder Kitchen setup. Install OS Builder first (See post 3 pointing to the OSB thread), unpack the kitchen to any folder convenient, then double-click on the .osb file to fire up the kitchen.
Cooking is pretty much self-explanatory - in the end you get a OS.BIN file that can be uploaded to the device via MTTY.exe. All tools are included in the kitchen 7Z and can either be used directly from the folder or via the Tools Menu in OSB.

I have added two folders to the kitchen. One for most of the packages in their original distribution files; so if these are not in your build, just in stall them manually. The other to trace the provxml execution - which is something you may never need to do.

For the packages to select, the OSB allows to group packages to switch-groups. One of the important switch groups is the one for .NetCF. This package is the most storage hungry and so there are several ways how to deal with this in the context of the 27MB limit of the ROM:

1. Include the whole package to ROM: this puts all to the imgfs which is compressed with LZX - and so the total cost is ~2.9MB
  2. Exclude the whole package and gain ROM space for any other stuff to include. You should then also exclude all .NetCF dependant tools or install .NetCF later from a CAB to get them working again. As there is one basic program (the calculator) which depends on .NetCF I have replaced this with the old WM2k3 calc.exe in case you select this package - saving another 120k. So in total you gain 3 MB in the ROM. Mind however that a later installation will eat ~1.2 MB on the FATFS in the device (Program Storage) and another 5 MB on either SD card or again on FATFS - depending on what you choose to install it to.
  3. Include only the files that go to the device mandatory anyway, but not on FATFS when installed later but on the IMGFS, hence compressed and eating only 750k in ROM. The rest of files (the 5MB *.GAC) go then to either FATFS on the device or to the SD card. You can select this in the kitchen when building the ROM. Later you must copy these *.gac files manually to the right place. The package with these files is in the _packages folder of the kitchen.

Last edited:
Reactions: geminix2

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
I have done the final works on that kitchen and will not further do anything to it. You find the updated kitchen in the mediafire share of the first post. Download the file "Typhoon-OSB-kitchen-20120306.7z" there. Recent fixes are:

• MMS dialogs use a smaller resource file for 176x220
  • Kernelflags are set to ...02 now to keep the MMS dialogs readable when you change the folders
  • CallerLoc is replaced by a dedicated tool (with understandable dialogs) CallVibrate
  • Sliding Panel background is fixed (was offset on the top-bar)
  • Some more tools added and instructions how to get back to WM2003 if needed
Mind that the created builds fit for any Typhoon/Feeler/Amadeus as you can switch/reboot the keyboard drivers.

Have fun and give some feedback if you created your own builds.

Candy-bar forever :D

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
SDHC on Typhoon (and Hurricane)

Hard to believe - but it is there: SDHC support on the Typhoon :)

No magic actually but just good luck that the Tornado driver (which is actually one form the StartTrk) for SDHC works as well on the Typhoon and Hurricane (which share the same drivers in their original builds).

You need to re-cook to get this. Related modules are attached, including the advice what to do (just 3 modules and related .rgu entries).

To get SDHC support in a cooked new build for Typhoon and Hurricane, do the following:

1.) remove the 3 modules in the ..-original folder from your OEMDRIVERS folder
2.) remove the entries from the contained original.rgu from the one in your OEMDRIVERS folder
3.) copy the 3 modules from the ..-sdhc folder to your OEMDRIVERS folder
4.) copy the entries from the contained sdhc.rgu to the one in your OEMDRIVERS folder

re-cook and enjoy :)

I have not done much testing yet, but some obvious checks have worked well.

So if there is anyone out there still owning these oldtimers: time to get them off the drawer and put some fresh fuel in - Typhoon and Hurricane make perfect music players.

Attachments

• sdhc-Hurricane-Typhoon.zip
    81.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Latest updated (the real final one).

Uploaded a new complete Kitchen including SDHC support and new USBFN bundled with WM5torage only (see first post). I do not recommend to use WM5torge with Typhoon - it is too slow anyway, you better get the card out and fill it external from the device with an USB reader.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
now the real final one :)

20121003 Update (since no new posts allowed anymore):
Just to let you know: The SDHC lets the device also read FAT32 formatted SDXC cards (e.g.64 GB). It even reads more than one partition (I have 2 on my Android) and mounts both of them (32k Cluster size used).
Not sure how well the performance will be when managing data there - but reading a large music collection should be ok :)

So after I sold all my Typhoon devices (except a few you just cannot sell due to their physical state) - the latest small update to the kitchen.

What I have changed (diff from 20120408):

• patched the keyboard driver to not require a dedicated subdirectory "Keys" in \windows
  • patched the nk.exe to identify itself as "TYPH100" to allow better skin selection for remote access tools
  • fixed the welcome.exe for the German Mui to correctly delete the welcome.lnk from autostart at first boot.

Last edited:

utp

Jan 7, 2007
theopoon.rinnovative.com
Hi all, just got my O2ZPhone II (Feeler) out of the pile of goodies, would like to use it for my second phone.

The OS on it is still wm2003, trying to go for this WM65 ROM, I found that the SPL is on 1.01.0139 on this phone, which I try to go for the 109 with no luck, and mtty report error in bootloader too...

Anyone any idea on how should I get this WM65 ROM flashed to this great phone?

Thanks.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
If the phone is still original, then you have to go all steps which you find in either the kitchen-tools menu or the tools folder directly:

1. application unlock old OS (SDA Application unlock)
  2. apply Super CID to the phone (lokiwiz.bat, "C")
  3. load new SPL to the phone
  4. create new ROM (get OS Builder from the referenced thread)
  5. upload with mtty.exe
Steps 1-3 need to be done only once per device.

I would not use the old os.bin I had uploaded as the latest kitchen can produce better ones and you have the choice what to put in or out. The default settings deliver a running build (you may want to remove the "German default" though).

Reactions: utp

utp

Jan 7, 2007
theopoon.rinnovative.com
thanks tobbbie, for some reason I downloaded the wm61 one, and yes with your great instructions I was able to flash that to the device and now happy using it!

(Will try the kitchen during the weekend)

Great thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Final update: (diff from 20120408):

Updated 2012 04 08: A new update to the kitchen folder. The older OS Builder stuff is moved to a dedicated subfolder. Now SDHC cards are supported and a later version of USBFN is bundled only with WM5torage (not recommended on Typhoon).

Updated: 2012 01 15: The old batch kitchen is moved to a dedicated folder in the Mediafire share. You find now a much improved OS Builder (see post 3) Kitchen as well as a set of ready-to-use builds to download. I have also updated the list of included programs below.

Here it is finally - another port of the batch kitchen I had once taken from Nitrogen for the Tornado and ported to Hurricane already - the simple kitchen for the Typhoon/Feeler/Amadeus.

The default settings were cooked to a ROM already, so you may want to try that first before you cook yourself (which is very easy, even for noobs).

It is completely localized for German keeping the English from Aleut's original WM65 ROM. He already had published a kitchen for that device here at XDA, however only as a side-note in an existing thread asking for WM65.

I have updated some applications to the last available version, added some OEM packages from the Tornado kitchen and merged some from the Ginza MS100 kitchen - also a device with QQVGA and a WM65 kitchen.
    As this device has a limited ROM size of 27MB (x'1b00000), the tweaking of size and available applications was a major activity. All changes done to the original files are left in a separate folder in the kitchen.

The default settings for cooking are containing the following applications:

• 20MB base package (all options off in OSBuilder), leaving 7MB of additional ingredients to push in, my choice for you:
    • .NET CF 3.5 already on-board
    • T9 English and German
    • WM6.5 Menus (skinned) (selectable in the kitchen, not in builds anymore)
    • full Media Support:
      • Arcsoft MMS 3.5.2.15C
      • HTC Camera (as it always was)
      • Media Codecs (common filetypes, also midi works as ringtones)
      • Cyberon Voice Dial
      • WM-player supports the additional keys for the Amadeus (SDA Music)
    • More Entertainment:
      • Kevtris 2.0, a great Tetris clone with nice additional options (sliders, weird blocks etc.) - keeps your joystick busy. (*)
    • several Bluetooth profiles (updated from S740 aka Rose):
      • Bluetooth SAP (Sim Access Profile)
      • Bluetooth FTP Client (HTC BT Explorer)
      • Bluetooth A2DP included (with settings) but it only works on lowest quality due to HW limitations (removed now)
    • GPS Intermediate drivers (from WM5&6) including setup program. This allows to share one BT GPS receiver for several applications at the same time.
    • HTC Comm Manager. This allows to set the Radio really OFF if you have no or no valid SIM Card. After 3 minutes the radio gets back on otherwise even if shut off with MS-wrlsmgr. Once after 3 minutes off-time it stays off even after reboot. [Edit 20120324:] It is not necessary to have HTC CommManager do this - the normal MSWrlsmgr can do the same, provided that you do not leave it with "done" but keep it running for these 3 minutes in background.
    • Many other tools:
      • Total Commander 2.5ß3 (*)
      • WM5torage 1.9 [Edit 20120324:] The usbfn.dll which can handle the WM5torage driver is creating problems with parallel Music Playback and any USB connection (also AS via RNDIS or Serial) It seems that some I/O ports are used the same. You better avoid using that when cooking.
      • maniac's Autokeylock
      • MortScript 4.2 (*)
      • Easter Uninstaller (*)
      • Oxios Memory
      • Vito Copy/Paste
      • FEADIE (managing file extension for Internet Explorer) (*)
      • Modaco NoData
      • Clear Type Power Toy (adjust the Gamma for CT)
      • Mobile Config: an XML based registry tweaker (only in the kitchen)
      • Caller Location core (vibrate on connect)
      • Multi Flashlight
      • Safe Inbox Extender
    * (in the non sliding panels build only)
    The pagepool used is now 4MB to give a suitable performance (was only 2MB in previous setup - very slow). However you can adjust this with tools included in the kitchen if you want to change it. ROM size and Storage is fixed on the device, so you have 27.97 MB total storage and free are 24.64. Mind that packages you save from the ROM are not giving you gain in storage space, so keep the ROM filled to the 27MB with what you consider useful.
    RAM is tight here anyway, best gain is if you don't use the sliding homescreen and disable the Camera Driver.

I have also added some options regarding key definition to the Tweaks settings. This allows to select the keyboard driver for Typhoon/Feeler/Amadeus and also to activate the additional WMP plugin for the Amadeus.

So finally here is the share to get all: http://www.mediafire.com/?3tt15dyp4mbuu
    Please hover the mouse over the download links to see their description.

Finally you may want to look at the Beginners Guide for Cooking which you find linked in my signature - this give some insight of what is happening.
    Some more info on available memory (RAM) which is really tight on this device. You can roughly save RAM in the following order:

1. > 2MB: Don't use the sliding panels homescreen. Unfortunately this is the nicest visible sign of WM6.1/6.5 - but if you just use the "Windows Standard" Homescreen there is more than 2MB gain in RAM!
    2. > 1MB: De-activate the Camera driver, all SDA Business users (without camera anyway) should do that!
    3. ~ 500kB: De-activate the Date/Time save driver. If you don't mind setting the date/time by hand after battery removal or have the device connected to the PC anyway with AS.
    I have not noticed a gain when de-activating the Carkit driver.

For clean conditions when testing, please always reboot the device after changing settings. I noticed that even unchanged settings will not produce identical values after reboot. Tests were done with clean reboot, full initialisation of the Homescreen and then starting Oxios Hibernate.
    Nobody seems to care about this old stuff anymore :-(
    Mediafire has logged 19 downloads of the built ROM and 15 of the kitchen, but not a single "thanks" in the thread - if you use it, just say thanks for my motivation, please.

Anyway I have migrated the kitchen to OSBuilder which has more tweaking options regarding Kernel parameters and also gives more other control over the build.

Is anyone interested in getting the relevant OS Builder package?

You need to install OSBuilder first and can then start cooking right away after you have the package that I could publish.

In the process of dealing with the very limited amount of RAM especially for the Typhoon I had to reverse on 2 things I did in the past for the sake of squeezing ROM and RAM space. Both have adverse effects to what is initially intended. I had published and discussed this in detail in this thread. So you must avoid the following:

1. Cutting down the Paging Pool to the bear minimum (so the device still boots). This gets you free RAM, true - but it will cut you off the space in RAM where the code of the programs goes! So a small paging pool will actually prevent that you can run many programs, despite of the free RAM. So it is advisable NOT to cut the paging pool below 4 MB in my experience.
    2. Using UPX to squeeze ROM space. While it works to get more data stuffed to the ROM, the resulting executable will no more be able to utilize the paging pool for its execution. The whole code goes to the free RAM and not just the currently used part in the paging pool. So by saving ROM space (or filesystem space in general) with UPX you are wasting actually RAM a lot!
    Because of 2.) above I have reverted to all original packages - so no UPX anywhere in the ROM build or any related package. I had to remove a few things from the default package selection, but nothing that cannot be installed later anyway. Due to non working A2DP I have also removed that again completely.
    Another find related to fixing the problem that System Volume gets reset when changing the profiles, see here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1407883
    Kitchen Updated to OS Builder, new example builds included

To those who want to get the fastest and most advanced kitchen and builds available for Typhoon. You can pick from Mediafire:

• a 7Z with 4 builds to flash the device with, 2 sorts with either English or German as default language (you can change in the regional settings anyway).
    • a 7Z with the OS Builder Kitchen setup. Install OS Builder first (See post 3 pointing to the OSB thread), unpack the kitchen to any folder convenient, then double-click on the .osb file to fire up the kitchen.
    Cooking is pretty much self-explanatory - in the end you get a OS.BIN file that can be uploaded to the device via MTTY.exe. All tools are included in the kitchen 7Z and can either be used directly from the folder or via the Tools Menu in OSB.

I have added two folders to the kitchen. One for most of the packages in their original distribution files; so if these are not in your build, just in stall them manually. The other to trace the provxml execution - which is something you may never need to do.

For the packages to select, the OSB allows to group packages to switch-groups. One of the important switch groups is the one for .NetCF. This package is the most storage hungry and so there are several ways how to deal with this in the context of the 27MB limit of the ROM:

1. Include the whole package to ROM: this puts all to the imgfs which is compressed with LZX - and so the total cost is ~2.9MB
    2. Exclude the whole package and gain ROM space for any other stuff to include. You should then also exclude all .NetCF dependant tools or install .NetCF later from a CAB to get them working again. As there is one basic program (the calculator) which depends on .NetCF I have replaced this with the old WM2k3 calc.exe in case you select this package - saving another 120k. So in total you gain 3 MB in the ROM. Mind however that a later installation will eat ~1.2 MB on the FATFS in the device (Program Storage) and another 5 MB on either SD card or again on FATFS - depending on what you choose to install it to.
    3. Include only the files that go to the device mandatory anyway, but not on FATFS when installed later but on the IMGFS, hence compressed and eating only 750k in ROM. The rest of files (the 5MB *.GAC) go then to either FATFS on the device or to the SD card. You can select this in the kitchen when building the ROM. Later you must copy these *.gac files manually to the right place. The package with these files is in the _packages folder of the kitchen.