[Q] How do I backup android media playlist?

Search This thread

deaffob

Jan 15, 2010
nyc
Whenever I install new rom, I have to lose all my precious playlists. What's the location of playlist files?

diddy47

Dec 1, 2010
Export Android Created Playlists To PC

hi i have managed to find a way to extract phone made playlist to pc but i am not a programmer and I was wondering if anyone here can automate it

url are not permitted here so my blog is kundaistreet at blogspot

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
hi i have managed to find a way to extract phone made playlist to pc but i am not a programmer and I was wondering if anyone here can automate it

url are not permitted here so my blog is kundaistreet at blogspot

So this PlayQ can you import and export (backup/restore) playlists? If so, that's probably what the OP is looking for. Not a way to use his Android playlists on his PC. Although I doubt he wants to buy this Merdian Player in order to export playlists. I suspect it's just data somewhere, but where would be the question.

phoenixdigital

Aug 8, 2010
Has anyone worked out where these are stored?

I have been googling forever and all I read is people
a) Saying where music is stored
b) Saying where m3u files etc... are stored.

It's obvious that the playlists are stored in a database somewhere I just want to know where it is so I can look at it and see what sort of information is stored for songs and playlists.

tustystiff

Feb 23, 2008
glasgow,KY.
Android Playlist/s Backup Tutorial

Hi everyone,while playing around with the instructions given by diddy47 on the blog site kundaistreet,I discovered how to backup your playlist on your sd card using a combination of 3 apps from the android market and part of the instructions given by diddy47. Apps required are Androzip,Meridian Player and SDMount,they are all free apps and no purchase required to download.This process seems long but its unreal simple,(1)Dowload all apps as stated above,(2)Go to your android stock player and create a playlist of your liking, if you already have a playlist made then on to the next step,(3)As diddy47 described in first part of post, "desregard the part about export to pc",
"In Meridian Player
•Long press on the playlists you want to export to PC, a pop up menu appears
•Select export to playQ
•choose the appropriate name
•choose audio type
•Export as many playlists as you like using procedure above.Navigate to folder PlayQueues using Androzip,it would be stored on your sd card.
Inside will be all your playlist that you exported to playQ in .mpq format not .m3u" Select any of the created playlist/s created and change the file extention name to "m3u", please note all that is being changed are the words and or numbers after the (dot.) (4)Exit Androzip, proceed by making SDMount a widget on your home screen,select, it would refresh saying in the notification bar "Your SD card has been scanned and remounted, SD Media Remounted" 'please note if you unmount your SD through the settings menu you will have to remove your SD card and put it back into device'.(5)Revert to stock media player,go to playlist and there you should find the name of your playlist/s made.You may see 2 of the same named playlist/s but that proves that it was backed up on the sd card.
Thank you for this opportunity, all credit goes out to kundaistreet for the blog site and diddy47 for his tutorial.

Goodm7sn

Nov 23, 2010
any alternative ?

thx for the solution but , its sad but true , this is a basic function i think it should be here already instead of making us looking for this for hours thru the web.
but isnt there any easier method ? dont want that much of apps just for a simple task (exporing playlist) :(

Reactions: Studsted

macphatkat

Mar 15, 2011
Here is what I had to do

I have a Samsung Epic 4g backed up with ClockworkMod, and lost the playlist after installing new ROM. Here is what I had to do to get my playlist back.

Extracted my data.img backup to my PC with unyaffs found here:

Code:
jiggawatt.org/badc0de/android/index.html

I knew my playlist name, so I scanned the extracted files and found it here:

C:\Temp\extraced data.img\data\com.android.providers.media\databases\external-99773e78.db

I then used SQLiteStudio to open external-99773e78.db.

Code:
sqlitestudio.one.pl

Ran the below SQL to generate my playlist.

Code:
select 
    _data
from
(
    select name, _data, play_order
    from
    (
        select    
            am._data
            ,ap.name
            ,apm.play_order
        from audio_playlists ap
            join audio_playlists_map apm on
                ap._id = apm.playlist_id
            join audio_meta am on
                apm.audio_id = am._id 
        where ap._data is null
    )

union

select name, '#EXTM3U ' || name as _data, -1 as play_order
    from 
    (
    select ap.name
    from audio_playlists ap
    where ap._data is null
    )

order by 1,3
)

Exported the result set to a text editor (used PSPad), and created m3u's by copy/paste method. Then moved the m3u files to my SD card. When Android did its media scan it pick up the playlist, but for some reason I can't maintain the play list order. Playlist order was not a priority for me, so I stopped here.

If anyone tries something similar and maintains their playlist order, please post a reply

Thanks

LiquidSolstice

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2008
You can backup playlists to .m3u8 files via BlueMuze

Full disclosure: it's my app, but the playlist backup feature is in the free unlimited trial.

Hopefully that's not too promotional -- not trying to run afoul of forum rules here, but I think it's what you're looking for.

That's the proper way to do it. I just ran into a user who decided to pimp his app in a competing app's very first post.

What you did, in my opinion, is just fine; honest and transparent. :)

Reactions: alostpacket

s0larus

May 30, 2010
Bluemuze is perfect!
1) backup the playlist.
2) open with notepad++
3) replace /sdcard/ with C:\*path to copy of MP3 folder *
4) rename file to .m3u

Done! Very very simple to do.

sumcrazyguy

Apr 16, 2008
Bluemuze is perfect!
1) backup the playlist.
2) open with notepad++
3) replace /sdcard/ with C:\*path to copy of MP3 folder *
4) rename file to .m3u

Done! Very very simple to do.

Or use Meridian Player (best media player I've come across) to create a "playQ" playlist. this is an independent file as opposed to a database. there are a few steps involved but you can copy the "play Q" file (which has a .mpq extension) to your computer. this file can then be converted to a .m3u file fairly simply. Use Notepad++ to open the .mpq file.

01. Delete all characters before the first instance of "localAudio id"
02. Replace all (" /><) with (\r\n) without the parenthesis. \r\n moves the text to the next line, make sure to select extended mode
03. replace all (LocalAudio id="/mnt/sdcard/Music/) with (D:\Music\) or wherever the music is
04. replace (&) with (&) - there seems to be an error with the & symbol
05. delete "\Items><\PlayQ>" at the end

Here is a link to the original post from where I got the information. I did have a different experience then what is shown here, but very useful:

http://kundaistreet.blogspot.com/2010/12/export-android-created-playlists-to-pc.html

easterlingman

Feb 19, 2011

Full disclosure: it's my app, but the playlist backup feature is in the free unlimited trial.

Hopefully that's not too promotional -- not trying to run afoul of forum rules here, but I think it's what you're looking for.

Hey alostpacket! Your app seems perfect for me, only I'm running ICS on my G2 and using the default app Apollo for my music and BlueMuze isn't picking up the playlists I've created. Also BlueMuze crashes whenever I try to view my music from within it. Any advice?

B

Bibicp

I've found a playlist backup app on the play store
here's link : bit . ly/O9wb8q (can't post links)
Press thanks if I helped you!:)

ftore

Mar 5, 2013
Seoul

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Android Playlist/s Backup Tutorial

Hi everyone,while playing around with the instructions given by diddy47 on the blog site kundaistreet,I discovered how to backup your playlist on your sd card using a combination of 3 apps from the android market and part of the instructions given by diddy47. Apps required are Androzip,Meridian Player and SDMount,they are all free apps and no purchase required to download.This process seems long but its unreal simple,(1)Dowload all apps as stated above,(2)Go to your android stock player and create a playlist of your liking, if you already have a playlist made then on to the next step,(3)As diddy47 described in first part of post, "desregard the part about export to pc",
    "In Meridian Player
    •Long press on the playlists you want to export to PC, a pop up menu appears
    •Select export to playQ
    •choose the appropriate name
    •choose audio type
    •Export as many playlists as you like using procedure above.Navigate to folder PlayQueues using Androzip,it would be stored on your sd card.
    Inside will be all your playlist that you exported to playQ in .mpq format not .m3u" Select any of the created playlist/s created and change the file extention name to "m3u", please note all that is being changed are the words and or numbers after the (dot.) (4)Exit Androzip, proceed by making SDMount a widget on your home screen,select, it would refresh saying in the notification bar "Your SD card has been scanned and remounted, SD Media Remounted" 'please note if you unmount your SD through the settings menu you will have to remove your SD card and put it back into device'.(5)Revert to stock media player,go to playlist and there you should find the name of your playlist/s made.You may see 2 of the same named playlist/s but that proves that it was backed up on the sd card.
    Thank you for this opportunity, all credit goes out to kundaistreet for the blog site and diddy47 for his tutorial.
    any alternative ?

thx for the solution but , its sad but true , this is a basic function i think it should be here already instead of making us looking for this for hours thru the web.
    but isnt there any easier method ? dont want that much of apps just for a simple task (exporing playlist) :(

That's the proper way to do it. I just ran into a user who decided to pimp his app in a competing app's very first post.

What you did, in my opinion, is just fine; honest and transparent. :)