[Tutorial][How to] Unlock Bootloader and Install Custom Recovery and Root

Search This thread

stirredo

Oct 8, 2010
Hello,

I know there are some tutorials for this already but I felt like they missed out a few steps that might not be obvious to some who are new to this.

This tutorial applies to all of Android One Device (Micromax Canvas A1, Karbonn Sparkle V Blue, Spice Mi-498 Dream Uno).

Unlocking bootloader will lead to formating of your phone. The stuff inside your sd card is safe but all your apps and their data will be deleted.

Unlocking bootloader:

1. Download Universal ADB Driver installer from here.
2. Connect your phone and run the Universal ADB Driver installer. Click 'Install' button and a warning should pop up. Just click "Install anyway" and it should look like this:
RlQBavP.png

3. Download ADT Bundle from here for Win-32 Bit and from here for 64-Bit . If you are unsure which version of windows you have just download the 32-Bit one.

4. Extract the zip file in your C:\ drive like this (You can install it wherever you like but this tutorials assumes this location for simplicity). Add adb and fastboot to system path by following this tutorial . This will allow you to run adb and fastboot commands from any location on cmdline.

3. Switch off your phone. Now, Press POWER BUTTON + VOLUME UP button for about 5 seconds. A menu should appear. Note: VOLUME UP allows to navigate the menu (move down the menu). Press VOLUME DOWN button for selecting/choosing fastboot. On your phone, it should say something like
Code:
=> FASTBOOT MODE...
Connect your phone to the computer if it wasn't already.

4. (Assuming Win 7) Click on start menu > Search for 'Command Prompt' and right click and select 'Run as Administrator'.
k5JReo5.png

5. On command prompt, Type:
Code:
fastboot devices

If it shows something, that means we can proceed to unlocking bootloader. Otherwise, it means that the driver was not installed correctly.
gx2yBOj.png

6. Now, Type the following commands:
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot format userdata
fastboot reboot

Now, your bootloader is unlocked.

Install a custom recovery.

1. Download custom recovery from this thread.

2. Place the download file, 'recovery.img' file in C:\ drive. (Again, you can place it anywhere but this tutorial assumes this path).

3. Run the following command (Assuming already in fastboot mode again. If not, follow the above steps to go to fastboot mode). :
Code:
fastboot flash recovery c:\recovery.img

After doing so, it should look like this:
qSMlvAl.png

4. Reboot your phone and you are done by typing:
Code:
fastboot reboot

Now, you have installed CWM custom recovery. On to installing root.

Rooting your phone:

1. After installing custom recovery, download Super-Su .zip file.

2. Place the .zip file on your sd-card. If your computer doesn't show your phone as MTP device, download the drivers from here.

3. Boot into recovery, by pressing POWER OFF + Volume UP button for 5 secs and choosing Recovery by pressing Volume Down (NOTE: Use Volume UP for menu navigation)

4. After booting into recovery, Choose 'Install Zip'. You can use Volume UP and Volume Down for navigating here and Power Off button for selecting a menu item.

5. Now, select 'choose zip from /external_sd' and not '/sdcard'

6. Select the Super-Su zip file you placed on your sd card and install it.

Now, Reboot your phone. It might say something like 'su may have been removed' but ignore and press 'No'.

Tutorial Complete :)

Let me know if there are any errors in this Tutorial.

littleromeo

Jan 6, 2013
Hi, thanks for the tutorial. Can you explain the necessity for using "fastboot format userdata" given "oem unlock" command in addition to unlocking the bootloader clears user data.

Reactions: noobpremium

stirredo

Oct 8, 2010
Hi, thanks for the tutorial. Can you explain the necessity for using "fastboot format userdata" given "oem unlock" command in addition to unlocking the bootloader clears user data.

Someone in this thread reported that they got stuck on the recovery, meaning the phone boot normally.

The port maker for recovery for our phone mentioned formatting userdata command in his post, so I did the same. I didn't want newbies to experience any trouble.

Faiyaz5yaz

Jan 18, 2014
chennai
nice guide ..
but I guess "add adb and fastboot to system path " shall be made optional .. this will make guide little simpler and shorter ..

tanuj123

Oct 5, 2014
Hey

Can anybody please insure any android device that has been successfully rooted by this method ? Also is waiting for towelroot worth it ??:confused:

Kaushik124

Oct 28, 2013
Hyderabad
Iam in a weird situation , I did flash many times before but I dont know how it made my device like this ... THE PROBLEM IS WITH DRIVERS and also SDcard

First I unlocked my bootloader then flashed cm11 on it ( Which was on lollipop official) and I forgot to download gapps so in connected my phone to pc only to find my computer doesnt recognise my phone it make sound but nothing shows up I tried clicking MTP again and again but nothing happens , WHEN I TRIED ADB it shows no devices in the list , I took out the sd card to copy files manually and the sd card says its write protected ..... GUYS HELP :( @stirredo

stirredo

Oct 8, 2010
What are you using to read your SD card on your computer?

If you are using SD card adapter, make the sure write lock is turned off.

Jxj3Dfx.png

Reactions: Kaushik124

Kaushik124

Oct 28, 2013
Hyderabad
Man thankyou but After installing the driver you gave my phone gets detected by pc but only when I turn on usb debugging :( @stirredo
Sent from my Xperia P using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

bhaskar_22

Dec 23, 2015
Redmi K20 Pro
thanks for this awesome tutuorial.... But i have a problem in unlocking the tutorial
The problem is that how can i unlock my bootloader when oem unlocking is turned off...
Recently i tried to flash CM12.1 on my YU YUNIQUE YU4711 without turning on OEM unlocking and now I am stuck at the Fastboot mode so i cant start up my phone.... So i wanted to know that how i can unlock the bootloader when OEM unlocking is turned off..
PS- I cant even go to recovery moded
thanks in advance

superkavvy

Feb 26, 2012
Format Userdata

Someone in this thread reported that they got stuck on the recovery, meaning the phone boot normally.

The port maker for recovery for our phone mentioned formatting userdata command in his post, so I did the same. I didn't want newbies to experience any trouble.

I did got stuck at bootloader when I dedn't format Userdata. Thanx for the tip.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

When I opened SuperSu after installing SuperSu through recovery, it says "There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem! If you just upgraded to Android 4.3, you need to manually re-root - consult the relevant forums for your device!"
What do I do now?:confused:

MayankGupta

Mar 27, 2015
Hello,

I know there are some tutorials for this already but I felt like they missed out a few steps that might not be obvious to some who are new to this.

This tutorial applies to all of Android One Device (Micromax Canvas A1, Karbonn Sparkle V Blue, Spice Mi-498 Dream Uno).

Unlocking bootloader will lead to formating of your phone. The stuff inside your sd card is safe but all your apps and their data will be deleted.

Unlocking bootloader:

2. Connect your phone and run the Universal ADB Driver installer. Click 'Install' button and a warning should pop up. Just click "Install anyway" and it should look like this:
RlQBavP.png

3. Download ADT Bundle from here for Win-32 Bit and from here for 64-Bit . If you are unsure which version of windows you have just download the 32-Bit one.

4. Extract the zip file in your C:\ drive like this (You can install it wherever you like but this tutorials assumes this location for simplicity). Add adb and fastboot to system path by following this tutorial . This will allow you to run adb and fastboot commands from any location on cmdline.

3. Switch off your phone. Now, Press POWER BUTTON + VOLUME UP button for about 5 seconds. A menu should appear. Note: VOLUME UP allows to navigate the menu (move down the menu). Press VOLUME DOWN button for selecting/choosing fastboot. On your phone, it should say something like
Code:
=> FASTBOOT MODE...

4. (Assuming Win 7) Click on start menu > Search for 'Command Prompt' and right click and select 'Run as Administrator'.
k5JReo5.png

Code:
fastboot devices

If it shows something, that means we can proceed to unlocking bootloader. Otherwise, it means that the driver was not installed correctly.
gx2yBOj.png

Code:
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot format userdata
fastboot reboot

2. Place the download file, 'recovery.img' file in C:\ drive. (Again, you can place it anywhere but this tutorial assumes this path).

3. Run the following command (Assuming already in fastboot mode again. If not, follow the above steps to go to fastboot mode). :
Code:

qSMlvAl.png

Code:
fastboot reboot

Rooting your phone:

2. Place the .zip file on your sd-card. If your computer doesn't show your phone as MTP device, download the drivers from here.

3. Boot into recovery, by pressing POWER OFF + Volume UP button for 5 secs and choosing Recovery by pressing Volume Down (NOTE: Use Volume UP for menu navigation)

4. After booting into recovery, Choose 'Install Zip'. You can use Volume UP and Volume Down for navigating here and Power Off button for selecting a menu item.

Now, Reboot your phone. It might say something like 'su may have been removed' but ignore and press 'No'.

bro, my bootloader is already unlocked, so i was using the flash recovery command directly, and i was unable to flash recovery, everytime i go into recovery it opens stock recovery, what should i do to flash recovery now, no method is working, is it compulsary to unlock bootloader every time flashing recovery, mine is already unlocked, but cant able to flash recovery, please help ,its urgent.

ztype-567

Nov 28, 2016
I am on a custom ROM right now( Resurrection ) and have unlocked the bootloader
Can I relock the bootloader using Androidone tool
Will it format userdata?
Can I keep the Custom ROM after relocking?
Please help
Device-Mi-498

neeraj797

Jul 9, 2013
New Delhi
my phone showing device not found error in ADB driver installer. actually phone is unable to start, it is continuously looping in start logo

jonthn41

Oct 29, 2015
Bakersfield
is the fastboot format userdata command required? what will happen if i fail to issue the fastboot format command following fastboot oem unlock command?

kartik_soni

Feb 22, 2019
hello i want the unlocked bootloader file for my Micromax e313 please send me the link to get it please help me

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

Unlocking bootloader:

RlQBavP.png

Code:
    => FASTBOOT MODE...

k5JReo5.png

Code:
    fastboot devices

gx2yBOj.png

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    fastboot format userdata
    fastboot reboot

Code:

qSMlvAl.png

Code:
    fastboot reboot

Rooting your phone:

Can anybody please insure any android device that has been successfully rooted by this method ? Also is waiting for towelroot worth it ??:confused:

I have used this method myself, but I am also the OP so.... :victory:
    What are you using to read your SD card on your computer?

If you are using SD card adapter, make the sure write lock is turned off.

Jxj3Dfx.png