Using Stock ICS Email vs Samsung email app

Search This thread

Suroky

Sep 27, 2011
Hello.
I want to know if somebody can/is run(ing) a stock Android email apk (as the one in the nexus phones or Xoom tablet), instead of the Samung email client.

I really want to use such version, as I cannot get confortable with the samsung version.

Instructions to install it? Sideload? adb push? where to find an apk?

crusecontrl

Oct 4, 2010
Seattle
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1333143524003.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333143524003.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 3,203
  • uploadfromtaptalk1333143543842.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333143543842.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 2,776
G

GuestK003

I can't get them to work. It gets to the part where it asks how often to check. I click next. phone vibrates and email does nothing but crash and lock up the phone after that.

mhx

Dec 12, 2007
Use tibu and back up email, exchange, and social hub... Then delete and reboot.... Drop in the two apks below into system/app reboot and profit.

These are the best email apps hands down.. the stock email.app got better but this is 'NEW GMAIL' style and works with your personal email box on pop3 or imap or exchange! its just great!

I Highly recommend them!

JRipple

Nov 23, 2011
the emailExchange doenst work for me somebody know the issue?

Did you try changing the permissions for both apps when you copied them to the /system/apps folder?

the permissions need to match the other files in the folder rw-r--r--
(all the read boxes need to be checked and just the owner write box needs to be checked)

I can confirm these files do work.

Thank you mhk!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-04-10-06-33-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-10-06-33-30.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 633

rpr69

Dec 21, 2011
Brampton
Confirmed working with Smooth Ice ROM and Exchange 2003 server. So far so good. Wish I hadn't spent the $10 on EnhancedEmail... :)

ozzy lion

Dec 24, 2010
Perth
I'm trying to get these email apps to work on LR2.6 but the emailgoogle.apk wont launch. It breifly opens before it FC.

I have tried fixing permissions but still no joy.

The reason why I have been lookign to change from the stock email.apk is that I couldn't get exchange to work properly with my work email which I did have working on a previous ROM.

Any ideas what I could do to get it to launch? Should this work on GT-i9100?

Last edited:

Suroky

Sep 27, 2011
Not working on UCLD2??

Seems like this aosp apps wont work on the UCLD2 leaked release.

Anyone has success?

rpr69

Dec 21, 2011
Brampton
Works for me on NexusMOD UCLD2. It took me a few tries to get it to work though. I had to clear data for the built in email, then rename them, install the new ones and reboot. Let it settle. The first few times it would force close all the time, but after clearing data and then rebooting, it worked.

rpr69

Dec 21, 2011
Brampton
I finally managed to create some flashable zips that work, so you can move from Samsung email to Google/ICS email app much easier. All you need to do is go into manage apps, Email and clear data and cache (if any), reboot into recovery and flash ICS_EmailGoogle_update.zip. It will rename Email.apk, Exchange.apk and SocialHub.apk and install the new apks. To revert back to stock, again go to manage apps, Email and clear data and cache (if any) and boot into recovery and flash ICS_Stock_Email.zip. If you don't clear data, when you switch back and forth you will get FC's. I only use this with Exchange, so I can't verify if it works with other providers, but it works great for me.

I realize you can do all this with a rooted file explorer, but with the amount of times I seem to have to do it, this is easier... :)

As always, no guarantees, if your phone blows up, I'm not responsible. If you are curious, open up the zips and check out the scripts, just so you can see that I'm not deleting your system partition... :)

Enjoy!

Tom

Attachments

• ICS_Stock_Email.zip
    141.5 KB · Views: 440
  • ICS_EmailGoogle_update.zip
    2 MB · Views: 459

MasterfullDON

Jun 15, 2011
OK

After this , my system crashes. Is it compatable with ICS and Litening rom 2.7?

ITS COMPLETELY HELL, I CANT USE MY PHONE! IT JUST SAYS ERROR APPLICATION CLOSED, THEN CRASHES.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Use tibu and back up email, exchange, and social hub... Then delete and reboot.... Drop in the two apks below into system/app reboot and profit.
    I finally managed to create some flashable zips that work, so you can move from Samsung email to Google/ICS email app much easier. All you need to do is go into manage apps, Email and clear data and cache (if any), reboot into recovery and flash ICS_EmailGoogle_update.zip. It will rename Email.apk, Exchange.apk and SocialHub.apk and install the new apks. To revert back to stock, again go to manage apps, Email and clear data and cache (if any) and boot into recovery and flash ICS_Stock_Email.zip. If you don't clear data, when you switch back and forth you will get FC's. I only use this with Exchange, so I can't verify if it works with other providers, but it works great for me.

I realize you can do all this with a rooted file explorer, but with the amount of times I seem to have to do it, this is easier... :)

As always, no guarantees, if your phone blows up, I'm not responsible. If you are curious, open up the zips and check out the scripts, just so you can see that I'm not deleting your system partition... :)

Enjoy!

Tom
    Can someone please post stock ICS Samsung Email? I'm on AOSP and can't find Samsung Email application despite looking everywhere.

Download a Samsung ICS ROM and extract the related apps you need. SkyICS is one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium