[KERNEL] [2012-01-12] V2.0 FM Kernel based on 2.6.35.14 [Beta]

Search This thread

Reb0rn

Sep 19, 2007
Sweden
And its great! Your kernel is just awesome by far. I have problems getting OC stable over 1600 but who needs higher anyways? ;)

| RocketRom v17 + FM 2.0 Powered Galaxy Note | Tapatalk |

goddamnit

Nov 4, 2010
Dear RiverSource ,
From you changelog ,there is

NEW Version 1.6:
- Voodoo Louder support
- Optimized schedulers
- new MALI drivers
- more logging and debugging (due to voodoo louder) <---

Would you please tell me if I can disable the logging because I do not use voodoo louder ? It can disable with terminal program ?
Thank thee

**I have tried type 'logcat-disable' in terminal ,but nothing happened :(

Last edited:

Proc73

Mar 15, 2011
Yes perfect kernel, but i like to now what to do with the voltage. Nothing ore change them?

You can drop the voltages. Here are my current ones. Not really low, but I didn't go hunting for lowest stable voltages. You can probably take 25-50mV off these figures if you want.

1400 - 1225 mV
1200 - 1125 mV
1000 - 1025 mV
800 - 925 mV
500 - 850 mV
200 - 825 mV

Dropping lowest frequency to 100MHz seems to freeze my phone occasionally, so I kept the lower limit at 200MHz.

Haven't figured out which scheduler/governor is absolutely the best. I guess many of them have benefits over others, so I just chose deadline/smartassV2.

Reactions: Reb0rn

RiverSource

Sep 22, 2010
Would you please tell me if I can disable the logging because I do not use voodoo louder ?
You can't disable it. Voodoo Louder needs CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL, which is only available, if Kernel Debugging is activated.

Yes perfect kernel, but i like to now what to do with the voltage. Nothing ore change them?
I can't give generic recommendations for voltages. Voltages have to be adjusted for each device individually. Have a look at the undervolting threads, there are the procedures described, how to find out the ideal voltages for your device.

Reactions: Chris X.

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
Haven't figured out which scheduler/governor is absolutely the best. I guess many of them have benefits over others, so I just chose deadline/smartassV2.
Your assessment is absolutely correct. They differ, some more, some less. From what I believe to know :p deadline and smartass surely are a good choice. In case you want to try something else, I for myself found sio to outperform all other schedulers when operating the device normally and I found SavagedZen to be mostly lagfree, similar to smartass, but using lower frequencies more often thus using less battery than smartass. But try yourself.

robertberma

Nov 9, 2010
BLEISWIJK
You can't disable it. Voodoo Louder needs CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL, which is only available, if Kernel Debugging is activated.

I can't give generic recommendations for voltages. Voltages have to be adjusted for each device individually. Have a look at the undervolting threads, there are the procedures described, how to find out the ideal voltages for your device.

I fond the perfect settings and its a lot undervolted, using your kernel now with ChrisX LA3 and got great antutu scores, rond 7800. Super happy with kernel.

Thanks

Rated this 5 stars

betoNL

I think he meant how to disable it, if you dont use Voodoo louder anyway

Edit: Perhaps you could have a look on Speedmod sources....I think Hardcore have debugging and logging disabled and yet got voodoo louder tweak integrated

But no sure...I cant read these things and didnt try speedmod

Last edited:

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Can anyone rank the governors according to performance then to battery life, followed by the scheduler but I seem to remember SIO or was it deadline to be the best?

EDIT:

I was hoping 1 of the governors would actually give me the 60fps super smoothness I desire with my current ADW EX setup. What Im doing for now is running 'on-demand' with 1.2Ghz as minimum scaling, even with 1Ghz I can tell that my home screen animation is not running that smooth. I wonder how taxing the 1.2Ghz minimum scaling is on the battery.

Last edited:

imilka

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 13, 2010
Moscow
I'm unable to get access to any adb features (shell, logcat) using your kernel.
Phone connects to computer but adb just says that 'device is not found'

Is it a bug or an intended behaviour?
How can I fix this?
Thanks a lot.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I noticed that my wifi kept dropping so i flashed back to cf kl7 is thi a known issue?

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
Can anyone rank the governors according to performance then to battery life
To be honest, this is not possible. You either have performance on cost of battery life or battery life on cost of performance. But I believe I know what you're asking for and it's a difficult question. It depends a lot on your usage pattern. So basically, no answer is possible. You have to figure it out yourself. I found that smartassV2, lulzactive and SavagedZen are my preferred governors, they offer scaling behaviours which suits my taste and the impact on battery life is what I can live with.
followed by the scheduler but I seem to remember SIO or was it deadline to be the best?
This one is rather easy to answer since it depends on factors common to all of us. SIO is the fastest, but there are scenarios - I forgot which ones - where it's not very favourable. I still use it. I believe noop and deadline are ok as well to be used in flash memory devices like our cellphones.

I was hoping 1 of the governors would actually give me the 60fps super smoothness I desire with my current ADW EX setup.
Not possible, wrong operating system. And I'm not joking: Android rather saves recources available than "wasting" them to power a 60fps interface. It's a design philosophy decision taken long long time ago. The iPhone for example is acting exactly the other way round: it rather cuts resources for something else - a background task for example - to keep the UI smooth and liquid before impairing the presentation to the user. There is a dedicated thread on this issue somewhere here on xda-devs plus it's been treated bigtime in the blogosphere a couple weeks ago.

...'on-demand' with 1.2Ghz as minimum scaling
Not a particularily good governor, the load any "scrolling" put on the CPU is just not consistently high enough to make it fire up big time. You could set the CPU to 1.7GHz, it wouldn't change anything, the CPU wouldnt scale up for only scrolling the homescreen. Use some of the (interactive) based governors I mentioned above, they act more in favour of what you're trying to get to.

I noticed that my wifi kept dropping so i flashed back to cf kl7 is thi a known issue?
Not with me at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: EarlZ and RashaMatt

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
@schaggo

Thanks for the detailed response.

Since no governor can give me the 60fps I need then I'll just probably stick to on-demand.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

I want to publish the first public beta of my Kernel. It is based on 2.6.35.14 and should reduce the Android OS Battery usage. The Kernel is based on CF Root Kernel.

As always: You are responsible for your phone. Don't blame me, if something goes wrong and you loose the photos from grandmas birthday or brick your phone. I have warned you! The Kernel is in very early stage and has been tested only by me so far.

Features:
    • Root
    • CWM5
    • Compatible to Chainfires CWM App
    • Reduced Debugging and Logging
    • Interactive Governor enabled (but not set as default. Use SetCPU).

NEW Version 1.2:
    - Based on KJ6 Sources
    - optimized compiler flags
    - bug fixing

NEW Version 1.3:
    - OC/UV Support (100 - 1700 MHz, SetCPU and Voltage Control)
    - additional governors (ondemand, ondemandx, interactive, interactivex, smartass, smartassv2, performance, powersave, conservative, Lagfree, Lazy, Savagedzen, Lulzactive)
    - Tegrak 2nd core Support
    - I/O schedulers: BFQv3, SIO, CFQ, deadline, VR, noop
    - some tweaks and bugfixes

NEW Version 1.3.1:
    - Removed some Optimizations in order to fix the Camera Bug

NEW Version 1.4:
    - added 50 MHz
    - Fixed Bug which caused removal of CWM Manager
    - EFS Backup reworked
    - intellidemand govenor added
    - added Version Number in Version String
    - Fixed Camera Bug finally
    - Deactivated GPU Undervolting
    - Some tweaks added again, which were removed for 1.3.1

NEW Version 1.5:
    - Optimizations in Schedulers and Governors
    - Maybe Bluetooth Streaming Bugfix

NEW Version 1.6:
    - Voodoo Louder support
    - Optimized schedulers
    - new MALI drivers
    - more logging and debugging (due to voodoo louder)

NEW Version 2.0:
    - complete reworked cpufreq (incl. Abyss Smooth Scaling support), no more 50 MHz support
    - Lulzactive V2 inkl. Tegrak support
    - xz compression
    - optimized configuration
    - tun, ntfs, fuse support
    - amazing performance improvement

The configuration is more or less Samsung Stock (except debugging, logging and the governor). Maybe I will optimize it in the future. The CWM App from Chainfire is not included, but should work on this kernel. I suggest to first flash a CF Kernel in order to root your phone and get the CWM App. After that you can flash this kernel. I recommend the CWM Manager App for flashing activities.

Please report bugs. I had a problem with endless USB Port Suspend / Resume cycles during testing, which caused the phone not to enter the deep sleep. Maybe the reason were to optimistic compiler options (it did not occur in the last 24 hours).

I would also appreciate, if you compare battery lifetime with Stock kernel. The battery statistic tells, the Android OS Usage is reduced, but results this really in a longer battery lifetime? Please observe and report.

For the Developers: The Sourcecode.
    https://github.com/riversource/Galaxy-Note-Kernel
    V2.0 online in first post.
    Hello,

I want to publish the first public beta of my Kernel. It is based on 2.6.35.14 and should reduce the Android OS Battery usage.
    It does not reduce Android OS battery usage at all - 2.6.35.12 only hides it.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kern...it;h=a3fe22ee824895aafdc1b788e19c081a2e6dd9da is the one that makes Android OS battery usage disappear from Settings->About->Battery Usage (How do I know? git bisect is your friend!)

As you can see, that is only an accounting/reporting patch - it doesn't change the amount of time spent in interrupt handlers during suspend/resume at all, nor does it affect the amount of battery used during suspend/resume.

Best example, one can cause frequent resume/suspend cycles which shoot AOS through the roof as follows from a Linux machine:
    Code:
    ping -i 5 <wifi ip address of the device>
    You will see that whether you are on .7 or .14, battery drain will be the same, but the percentage of AOS usage reported will be MUCH lower on 2.6.35.12 and above.

Edit: Also, as far as implementing 100 MHz and 50 MHz, I strongly suggest you read section 6 of the paper on idle states (clock/power gating) that Ezekeel links here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1431105&page=9
    V1.4 is online in first post.
    Read this sticky for very good explanations on most if not all governors and schedulers.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1369817