Rogers I337M S4 won't boot after ODIN flashing

Search This thread

wethestill

Mar 16, 2014
My girlfriend has been having S4 issues in the past such as random restarts and application issues probably related to a ROM issue. Her phone IS rooted. While I was at work, she went to my floormate for advice and he, who also has an I337M S4, suggested she reflash a ROM. Things went well according to him (i.e. no ODIN issues) and I trust him since he has been messing with these things for a while; however, now her phone will not boot past the Samsung logo. It won't reliably go past the simple "Samsung Galaxy S4" white-and-black splash screen and when it does it fails to progress to actually being on. I CAN reliably get the phone into download mode and CAN flash ROMs using ODIN; however, I have no idea how to fix this issue. :/ I have access to any necessary S4 files (such as the PIT file) from my floormate.

Since I can't get anything more useful than download mode, here's the information from that:

Product: SGH-I337M
Binary: Samsung Official
Knox Lock: 0x0
Knox Warranty Void: 0x1
USB-Config-LSD: 0x30
Write Protection: Enable
MMC Burst Mode: Enable

I apologise if any of that isn't quite right as she has a crack in the top left of her phone that makes it very hard to read.

Thanks in advance,
Jacob

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
My girlfriend has been having S4 issues in the past such as random restarts and application issues probably related to a ROM issue. Her phone IS rooted. While I was at work, she went to my floormate for advice and he, who also has an I337M S4, suggested she reflash a ROM. Things went well according to him (i.e. no ODIN issues) and I trust him since he has been messing with these things for a while; however, now her phone will not boot past the Samsung logo. It won't reliably go past the simple "Samsung Galaxy S4" white-and-black splash screen and when it does it fails to progress to actually being on. I CAN reliably get the phone into download mode and CAN flash ROMs using ODIN; however, I have no idea how to fix this issue. :/ I have access to any necessary S4 files (such as the PIT file) from my floormate.

Since I can't get anything more useful than download mode, here's the information from that:

Product: SGH-I337M
Binary: Samsung Official
Knox Lock: 0x0
Knox Warranty Void: 0x1
USB-Config-LSD: 0x30
Write Protection: Enable
MMC Burst Mode: Enable

I apologise if any of that isn't quite right as she has a crack in the top left of her phone that makes it very hard to read.

Thanks in advance,
Jacob

Just boot into recovery and do a factory reset

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010
I can't reliably get into recovery; however, I have done a factory reset on one of the times I was able to do so. This didn't fix the issue.

Custom roms are typically flashed through a custom recovery.. trwp, cwm, phils..... stock roms are flashed through odin.... 2 ways you can go here... flash custom recovery ( tripping knox btw) or download a stock rom from sam mobile.... making sure you get the right one of course.... and flash it through odin... sounds like currently you have a bad flash.......

wethestill

Mar 16, 2014
Custom roms are typically flashed through a custom recovery.. trwp, cwm, phils..... stock roms are flashed through odin.... 2 ways you can go here... flash custom recovery ( tripping knox btw) or download a stock rom from sam mobile.... making sure you get the right one of course.... and flash it through odin... sounds like currently you have a bad flash.......

Sorry, I should have specified. What "Passed" on Odin is a stock ROM or at least it should be. I'm just trying to get the phone to a bootable state and am unconcerned with the end resulting ROM. Do you have a link to a recommended ROM that won't take an entire day to download?

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010
Sorry, I should have specified. What "Passed" on Odin is a stock ROM or at least it should be. I'm just trying to get the phone to a bootable state and am unconcerned with the end resulting ROM. Do you have a link to a recommended ROM that won't take an entire day to download?

If your coming from 4.3 there are a number of good roms... unfortunately they are all around 1.2 to 1.4 GB so if you have a slow connection it will take a while... I run Danvh's 4.4 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2537495 , there is also this one that people seem to like but I haven't tried it.... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2375180 you will need a custom recovery.... both of these suggest twrp.... I flashed with 2.6... 2.7 is out now and I don't know how it reacts but you will need a custom revovery to flash the zip file....

cantenna

Aug 5, 2012
Newcastle
I guess the issue is you have to restore to stock via odin but you don't know what version bootloader you have? Guess you'll have to use samsung tool which will probably install knox?

Can you install custom recovery via odin?

TLS2000

Feb 20, 2012
Mississauga
Knox is already tripped. I'd go into recovery, do a factory restore again and then plug it into the computer and do a restore with Kies.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk