[KERNEL][1,4GHz]Tweaked kernel v2[12/02/2013]

Search This thread

atis112

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 21, 2011
Features:
  • Don't need modules, everything included in the kernel
  • Init.d script support (Requires busybox in xbin)
  • Lulzactive, Hotplug, SmartassV2 governors
  • SIO, VR schedulers
  • Avaliable CPU frequencies: 98MHz, 196MHz, 320MHz, 480MHz, 600MHz, 800MHz, 1GHz, 1,2GHz, 1,4GHz
  • Default max CPU frequency: 1GHz (600MHz when screen is off)
  • Default min CPU frequency: 98MHz

Requirements:
  • Unlocked bootloader
  • Fastboot

Download:

Install:
  • Boot to bootloader
  • Install the kernel with fastboot: "fastboot flash boot 'kernelname'.img"
  • Reboot and enjoy!

Sources:
https://github.com/atis112/htc_kernel_protou

Last edited:

Stereo8

Oct 24, 2012
Beograd, Serbia
Re: [KERNEL]Tweaked kernel 1.0[10/02/2013]

Hot diggity! A new kernel!!!! Awesome! We can over clock with this, right? Not that I'll over clock, just to ask

Sent from my HTC Desire X using xda app-developers app

nlooooo

Oct 29, 2011
Nis
I think that greater number governors and schedulers are more important than overclocking, you're 100% right with speed for ICS and even JB.

madhavagg16

Oct 22, 2012
720 p recordings

Great work and a great contribution to hdx community...
A req! Can u plz add 720p recording in next ver.

Dark Passenger

Apr 18, 2012
Pune
Great work and a great contribution to hdx community...
A req! Can u plz add 720p recording in next ver.

not a kernel feature requires correct media codecs.

Edit : @Dev congrats First custom kernel for this device(max safe oc for this processor is 1.2 GHz just saying) also a request can you add ROW IO sheduler heard its better than SIO also PegasusQ/D governer.In next release.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: madhavagg16

neXus PRIME

Nov 22, 2011
Lahore, Pakistan
hi

I didn't edit the ramdisk yet, but i will add init.d support in next version.
I don't mind it. Just don't forget credits. ;)

my work on cm10 boot was stuck on ramdisk issue. i posted a last_kmsg which showed that kernel booted but ramdisk had issues.
i dont understand kernel issues very well, but hope to get it working now that you are here. i'll ask for ur help from time to time.
plus, i want to take permission to use ur kernel tree for building cm9/10 from source. dont wanna use prebuilt now.

last thing, what is the difference between an ics n jb kernel, exactly what needs to be modified to make it work?....

thanks

Dark Passenger

Apr 18, 2012
Pune
my work on cm10 boot was stuck on ramdisk issue. i posted a last_kmsg which showed that kernel booted but ramdisk had issues.
i dont understand kernel issues very well, but hope to get it working now that you are here. i'll ask for ur help from time to time.
plus, i want to take permission to use ur kernel tree for building cm9/10 from source. dont wanna use prebuilt now.

last thing, what is the difference between an ics n jb kernel, exactly what needs to be modified to make it work?....

thanks

Ramdisk:p(sorry couldnt resist) among other things but for initial booting ramdisk.

PS might not be the best person to answer though...

nlooooo

Oct 29, 2011
Nis
Re: [KERNEL]Tweaked kernel 1.0[10/02/2013]

not a kernel feature requires correct media codecs.

Edit : @Dev congrats First custom kernel for this device(max safe oc for this processor is 1.5GHz just saying) also a request can you add ROW IO sheduler heard its better than SIO also PegasusQ/D governer.In next release.

Thank you.

Qualcomm S4 Play is made for speed 1-1.2GHz, and that's the safe range of frequencies. Remember that this is ARM-cortex A5 not Krait, and more than 1.2 can really harm it.

Reactions: Dark Passenger

neXus PRIME

Nov 22, 2011
Lahore, Pakistan
hi

Ramdisk:p(sorry couldnt resist) among other things but for initial booting ramdisk.

PS might not be the best person to answer though...

I know ramdisk, but let me rephrase my question, what exactly (in ramdisk) needs to be modified and how, to make it work on jb. Anyways, i'm still figuring things out by trial n error so progress is very very slow. The logcat was the only thing i ever got to which showed the cm10 logo as well but then, everything MESSED up. Havent been able to replicate that result since.

atis112

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 21, 2011

thanks

The difference isn't just in ics and jb. the difference is in cm and sense ramdisk too. I don't know what need modify yet, but i will start the work with cm later when i have enough free time.
Feel free to use my sources. :)

Reactions: Stereo8

gigsaw

Jun 22, 2010
So happy to hear such good news for the DesireX! Finally the developing for this device is becoming richer :) first of all, thank you for this custom kernel and thanks nexus prime for his effort to port the CM series :) I'm not an expert but yeah, sense and AOSP/AOKP Roms need different kernels. To learn more I think that Dennis Rassmann (the creator of the famous Bricked kernel series) or faux can answer your question about ramdisk, if you contact them (they are really kind and gentle). After that I would like to ask if it's possible to add the useful sweep2wake function to this kernel, in future. For now, good work guys, never give up!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Features:
    • Don't need modules, everything included in the kernel
    • Init.d script support (Requires busybox in xbin)
    • Lulzactive, Hotplug, SmartassV2 governors
    • SIO, VR schedulers
    • Avaliable CPU frequencies: 98MHz, 196MHz, 320MHz, 480MHz, 600MHz, 800MHz, 1GHz, 1,2GHz, 1,4GHz
    • Default max CPU frequency: 1GHz (600MHz when screen is off)
    • Default min CPU frequency: 98MHz

Requirements:
    • Unlocked bootloader
    • Fastboot

Download:

Install:
    • Boot to bootloader
    • Install the kernel with fastboot: "fastboot flash boot 'kernelname'.img"
    • Reboot and enjoy!

Sources:
    https://github.com/atis112/htc_kernel_protou
    Changelog:

v2:
    • Init.d support
    • SIO, VR scheduler
    • New CPU freq table with overclock

v1:
    • Based on 1.18.980.3
    • Don't use modules, all features included to the kernel
    • Lulzactive, hotplug and smartassV2 governors added
    Hello guyz, I am from Pico ( HTC Explorer ) community. I happened to see your overclocked kernel source few minutes back. Well, the Clock Driver ( acpuclock-7627.c ) is NOT properly overclocked. Currently, only the Overclocking frequencies are specified which increases only the Bogo MIPS and there won't be any performance increase in CPU Integer/Floating Point Arithmetic. So the Benchmark and performance will remain more or less same as stock, no matter how high you Overclock. For real overclock, you need to adjust the PLL_L value dynamically based on CPU KHz.

I don't have Desire X. Anyone willing to test can make following changes to the source code and try:

Those who have already cloned the overclocked kernel source ( https://github.com/atis112/htc_kernel_protou ), open acpuclock-7627.c and locate the line: src_sel = reg_clksel & 1;

Now add following lines below it:

Code:
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]if(hunt_s->a11clk_khz > 1008000) {
                    	writel(hunt_s->a11clk_khz/19200, pll_clk[ACPU_PLL_4].clk); /* This is where real Overclock happens */
                    	udelay(50);
    	}[/COLOR][/B]

I cannot guarentee that above code will surely work because, the acpuclock sources are very different in Pico and ProtoU kernel sources. Yet, the overclocking logic is same for all MSM Architectures. Once booted, do a Benchmark and check whether performance increased or not.
    yoohooooooooooo !!

Yesssssssssss, built my first ever (desire X) kernel. All thanks to atis112 for being a gentle guide. Now i can start working on s2w.

BTW @OP, i'm attaching my boot.img in this post, just to show. If you dont like, i'll remove.

Regards
    Yasir