[APP][2.1+] SerendApp - Discover things differently ! [download]

Search This thread

masterdevx

Dec 2, 2010
masterdevx.blogspot.com
Hi,

I present you SerendApp, an app that helps you to discover new things almost at random, it is a kind of serendipity.

icon.jpg

Notably, SerendApp helps you to discover at random apps that are installed on your phone !

♥ "Your Life At Random With SerendApp for Android...this app will inspire you and show you what you were thinking of doing (or not)" (XDA-Developers: http://goo.gl/euy23)

Notes:
- Google chrome extension: http://goo.gl/Y4OXj
- categorize apps

SerendApp helps you to discover new things with serendipity !

Notes:
✔ To launch features directly from your homescreen: long clik on homescreen, select "shortcuts", then "serendapp"

Features:
========

♔ launch at random:

✔ your installed apps !
✔ bookmarked/selected/categorized apps
✔ your photo galleries
✔ your music on your SDCard (plays automatically)
✔ your contacts on your phone
✔ your Facebook friends walls (with Facebook official android apps or Facebook mobile site)
✔ your web bookmarks
✔ web sites ("I'm feeling lucky" like)
✔ articles from wiki projects (wikipedia, wiktionary,wikiquote)

✔ popular Youtube videos (plays automatically with Youtube Android app)

✔ Google Maps of 30000 cities, 20 countries, 200 famous places, 17 museums (from Google Art Project), some places from UNESCO World Heritage + Street Views ! (contribution list here:http://goo.gl/BhlUa)

✔ see 1700+ high quality Masterpieces at random (Monet, Manet, Caravage, delacroix, Klimt, Rembrandt, Renoir,Vangogh, gauguin, caillebotte, Vinci, Corot, Boudin, Courbet, Vermeer, Velasquez, Goya, Degas, Rubens, Boticelli, Cezanne ...)!

♔ search at random for
✔ apps to install in the android market
✔ music with "Amazon mp3" android app or with mobile browser
✔ web searches with Google Search engine
✔ YouTube videos
✔ images and slideshows
✔ google news

✔ categorize apps: this feature is no more available due to market change
✔ bookmark/share/select/uninstall your apps
✔ list of installed apps (selected apps will be launched prior to categories)

✔ customizable button to launch what you want :)
✔ launch an activity when SerendApp starts
✔ launch all features at random
✔ shortcuts for each feature (like a widget:long click on homescreen/serendapp)
✔ shake your phone to launch "custom" features ! (see menu/settings/shake to configure)

video.jpg

===========================

Thanks XDA team for the homepage article "Your Life At Random With SerendApp for Android"

If you have any suggestions do not hesitate; more features and new integrations are coming soon :cool:

If you have discovered something interesting with SerendApp, let us know ;)

Enjoy with SerendApp !

Shortcuts:

• icone_all_shortcut.png
    Any features is launched at random
  • icone_apps_shortcut.png
    All your installed apps at random
  • icone_apps_bookmarks_shortcut.png
    All apps you have bookmarked launched at random; see menu/manage/my apps, long click on an app
  • icone_market_shortcut.png
    Search for apps to install in Android Market ...at random
  • icone_contact_shortcut.png
    Show your phone contacts at random ...send text or call that contact, since you are there ;-)
  • icone_facebook_shortcut.png
    Show your Facebook friends walls at random, easy way to visit at random your friends pages !
  • icone_image_local_shortcut.png
    Launch at random your photo galeries on your sdcard
  • icone_image_shortcut.png
    Search at random for images on the web: google image, flickr interestingness since 2004, picasaweb
  • icone_travel_shortcut.png
    Visit cities and famous places in the World with Google Maps !
  • icone_streetview_shortcut.png
    Visit cities and famous places in the World with Google Street View ! See, as if you were there ! see menu/manage/maps to configure
  • icone_video_shortcut.png
    Search for random videos
  • icone_youtube_shortcut.png
    Play at random popular videos from Youtube: most popular / discussed/ commented / rated /responded
  • icone_music_local_shortcut.png
    Listen to one of your musics at random !
  • icone_music_shortcut.png
    Search for random music on the web or from dedicated apps (e.g. amazon mp3)
  • icone_wiki_shortcut.png
    Launch wiki article at random (wikipedia, wiktionary, wikiquote)
  • icone_web_bookmarks_shortcut.png
    Launch your web bookmarks at random: bookmark some sites and they will be launched at random by SerendApp !
  • icone_web_shortcut.png
    Launch random web search
  • icone_web_lucky_shortcut.png
    Launch random web site: a "i'm feeling lucky" like feature !
  • icone_news_shortcut.png
    Search for news at random
  • icone_social_shortcut.png
    Search for social contents from microblogging twitter / google and Facebook

======================

Notes:

* Google Chrome Extension is also available with Facebook friends wall/wiki/Image/Video features: http://goo.gl/zwueK

SerendApp icon will be in your panel extensions bar, just click on it ! Right click on it to see options (configure features to launch: multiple tabs, autoplay with youtube videos, shuffle time, wiki language ...)

* For other browsers, the Facebook app is ready also :). The application page is here (click on "Go to App" to authorize and then launch it): http://goo.gl/cdfeq

*Update Facebook app to newest version 1.5.4 for bug fixes; it works now with SerendApp; activate "Facebook app" in menu/parameters/contacts if you met issues with previous update

* If your Facebook app crashes (force close from official app due to recent unfixed bugs for gingerbread or other systems with 1.5.3 version), just go to menu/parameters/"contacts & friends" and choose "facebook web" instead of "facebook app" (and "contact" if you want).
If nothing happen, try to logout in menu/parameters/"manage facebook" and test again ; it won't affect your shortcuts ;-)

* For Music feature: some players won't play "next" music in shuffle mode; if available, see menu/shuffle (party shuffle) or similar & activate it

Last edited:

masterdevx

Dec 2, 2010
masterdevx.blogspot.com
So basically it's StubleUpon?

A kind of it yes, but it deals also with whole the apps you have installed and the entire android market :)
It will tell you to play that game you were not aware of its existence before launching SerendApp...and you'll have also the possibility to uninstall it directly from SerendApp :) (click on a thumbnail in the sliding gallery at the top)
Why not sending a message to a friend or send an email to a contact as proposed by SerendApp ..why note writing some notes or tasks to do as the app is now launched (ColorNote, NoteEverything..etc)...etc

It can be helpful when you don't want to do something specific from your drawer...just let SerendApp decide for you :)

You can repeat the experience as many times you want.

As a consequence...you can install far more apps to test them at random from SerendApp and uninstall them also directly, it is no more necessary to search them (as far as the random law is satisfying :) )

As it was helpful for me, i hope it will be so for you :)

As a first version, will bring very soon customization features :)

Last edited:

masterdevx

Dec 2, 2010
masterdevx.blogspot.com
A screenshot of the options proposed when clicking on a thumbnail in the sliding gallery (this sliding gallery is composed of your recent randomly launched apps: you can so relaunch the app directly from SerendApp :) ):

home_options.jpg

Last edited:

masterdevx

Dec 2, 2010
masterdevx.blogspot.com
SerendApp updated in Version 1.1 in the Android Market !

Version 1.1:
-added video features
-compact view mode
-settings
-launch automatically an activity when SerendApp starts (like widget functionality; see settings)

Some screenshots:

home_1.jpg

sliding_2.jpg

settings.jpg

settings_2.jpg

home_normal.jpg

video.jpg

masterdevx

Dec 2, 2010
masterdevx.blogspot.com
SerendApp updated in the Android Market in version 1.1.1 !

Link on web android market: http://goo.gl/JmotS

icon.jpg

ChangeLogs:

Version 1.1.1:
-Much faster for launching/re-launching installed apps !
-more relevant keywords in general
-minor bug fixes
-Donut users (1.6): video feature may not work properly (do check that YouTube is installed also)

Version 1.1:
-added video features
-compact view mode+settings
-launch automatically an activity when SerendApp starts (like widget functionality; see settings)

Enjoy with SerendApp !

Last edited:

masterdevx

Dec 2, 2010
masterdevx.blogspot.com
Interestingly, the more you install apps, the better your user experience will be :)

So, do not care about installing as many interesting apps as you want (in the limit of your memory card or your internal system of course ...) and let SerendApp pick each time one for you :)

icon.jpg

deejaylobo

Feb 22, 2011
Abu Dhabi
I like the idea! Fun :)

Would like to have more choices.

- Play/find from market a random game only(pre select Paid or Free)
- Same as above for apps
- Or maybe integration with folder organizer to launch a random app from a specific label or the ability to label all apps from within your application. Basically create my own random buttons.
- Integration with Facebook/Twitter/Other social network apps to view a random friend's page or even a non-friend's page.
- Integration with gallery and music player
-Bring up a random contact to call, or even open up a random chatbox with a friend who's online on Gtalk.

Good work!

Sent from my NexUD S using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: masterdevx

masterdevx

Dec 2, 2010
masterdevx.blogspot.com

- Same as above for apps
- Or maybe integration with folder organizer to launch a random app from a specific label or the ability to label all apps from within your application. Basically create my own random buttons.
- Integration with Facebook/Twitter/Other social network apps to view a random friend's page or even a non-friend's page.
-Bring up a random contact to call, or even open up a random chatbox with a friend who's online on Gtalk.

Good work!

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback and for these constructive suggestions and ideas.
Some of them are aldready on the road :) and we will consider all of them for next releases (if ever possible ...as possible limitations may be for reluctance of users concerning too much Permissions required as View/Read Contacts for bringing at random a contact, difficulties to have app categories, number of buttons/dialog boxes in the user interface...etc all but if there is no solution, it means there is no problem (Schadock))

Thank you gaain for your feedback :cool:

Last edited:

masterdevx

Dec 2, 2010
masterdevx.blogspot.com
Hi,

New version of SerendApp available in the Android Market (Version 1.2).

icon.jpg

Version 1.2
-beta banner for future improvements
-bookmark feature (launch at random bookmarked apps): click on a thumbnail and bookmark
-app categorization (same ~30 categories like in the android market) => filter options
-hidden features:long click on "My Apps" launches "bookmarks", on "web" launches "i'm feeling lucky", on app categorization (in menu/parameters/apps) shows associated apps (click to launch apps)
-images and slideshows from Google image/flickr/picasa
-news from Google News
-(the Market app do not accept filtering options such as price and sort filters like its web counterpart, perhaps in near future)

Hidden options:
-long click on "My Apps" (green droid): launches Bookmarked apps
-long click on "Web": launches "I'm feeling lucky" behavior
-long click on a category: shows associated apps

Filtering apps by category: some apps may not appear if they are not listed in the android market (manufacturer such as Motorola/samsung or operator's apps); it is not recommended to filter (let all categories uncheck to avoid filter) as you may miss a special app or a special config :)

More options are coming soon :)

Share your discoveries on our blog :)

Enjoy with SerendApp :)

Version 1.1.1:
-Much faster + more relevant keywords generation

Version 1.1:
-added video features
-compact view mode+settings

Some screenshots:

masterdevx

Dec 2, 2010
masterdevx.blogspot.com
List of installed apps are now available :)

You can choose the apps you want to play with using SerendApp, for instance all your last games or tools or quiz and launch them at random :)

Selected installed apps have priority over categories,i.e. if you selected Brain & Puzzle apps category and you selected in the list of installed apps GMail, Facebook and Messaging, only these three installed apps will be launched; to retrieve apps of the selected category, do uncheck selected apps (there is a check button for select/unselect all) :)

screenshots are there: https://picasaweb.google.com/quintessart/Serendapp

And download here: SerendApp

home_options.jpg

manage_categories.jpg

manage_apps.jpg

masterdevx

Dec 2, 2010
masterdevx.blogspot.com
You have 3 or 4 or ...n favourite daily apps ?
Just select them in SerendApp (menu/parameters/my apps) and only these apps will be launched, with no effort and at random :)

You can also bookmark them (so that you can launch them as "bookmarked apps" in long click on "My apps"-green droid- button). Click on a thumbnail to bookmark; we will add this option in apps selection in next release.

Shortcuts are upcoming in next release with new "local" features :).

Shortcuts, by definition, will be associated with one or more features (All stuff, My Apps, My Bookmarked Apps, My Selected Apps, My Apps Categories, videos, images, web pages, i'm feeling lucky, social, market,wiki...etc), directly from your homescreen, without opening SerendApp :)

This will simply save your time and make you use your apps (and your smartphone) more often :cool:, while discovering new things. Interestingly, the more apps you install, the better is your user experience ;)

Stay tuned and enjoy with SerendApp ;-)

Last edited:

masterdevx

Dec 2, 2010
masterdevx.blogspot.com
Hi,

Suggestions of using SerendApp with friends :cool: :

1) install several games (e.g. quiz..brain & puzzle, arcade...etc)
2)select them in SerendApp (menu/parameters/My Apps) or select Games categories (menu/parameters/categories: unselect "selected apps" in "My apps" if you choose categories as the priority for launch will be for selected apps)
3)the first user will launch "My Apps" (green droid) and start playing with the randomly launched game => 1 point or score if he wins
4)the second user launched identically "My apps" and so on ...

For Quiz games, the user who launches "My apps" could ask the questions to the candidate player :)

Enjoy with SerendApp !!

Last edited:

masterdevx

Dec 2, 2010
masterdevx.blogspot.com
Hi,

New update of SerendApp available in the Android Market !
Great new features: shorcuts like widgets, share apps, music, galleries, contacts, facebook ...etc

Version 1.3:
-shortcuts for each feature ! (long press on homescreen)
-unique compact view mode
-display at random your photo gallery
-play at random your music
-see at random your contacts (you can customize this feature in menu/parameters)
-see at random your Facebook friends' wall (due to a bug in Facebook official android app and probably compatibility issues, this feature may crash on some systems; we provide the mobile web alternative facebook page; see menu/parameters/contacts)
-"custom" button :)
-share apps or list of selected apps in SerendApp
-bug fixes

Follow us on twitter: @serendApp

Features v1.3:
-shortcuts for each feature (like a widget)
-launch of random installed app
-uninstall it directly from SerendApp
-bookmarks (long clik on "My Apps" button to launch bookmarked apps)
-app categorization (see menu/parameters to configure)
-list of installed apps (selected apps will be launched at random)
-share apps or selected apps
-search for apps in the android market with almost random keywords
-see your photo galleries at random
-see your contacts at random
-see your Facebook friends at random
-listen to your music at random
-search for web pages through Google Search engine with almost random keywords
-launch random web pages like "I'm feelink lucky" behavior (long click on web button)
-search for random pages/articles from wikimedia projects
-search for YouTube videos with preselected keywords
-search for images and slideshows
-search in news
-launch an activity when SerendApp starts
-customizable button :)
-launch all features at random

masterdevx

Dec 2, 2010
masterdevx.blogspot.com
The facebook feature uses Single-Sign-On authentication and interact when possible with the facebook official android app. If the facebook app is not present or crashes (recent bug for gingerbread on version 1.5.3 or compatibility issues), you can opt for the mobile web alternative we provide by checking only "facebook web" in menu/parameters/"contacts & facebook".

For music, SerendApp will launch your favourite player with a randomly chosen song; you can configure other random features directly within your player

For Shortcuts: long press on homescreen; choose shortcuts, select SerendApp and then choose your favourite features;

For "custom button": you can add one or several features to launch with this button; see menu/parameters/"custom actions"

For Photo Gallery (long click on "image button"): SerendApp will launch at random an image from your SDCard and you'll be able to see the entire associated folder with your favourite gallery app (Gallery/QuickPic...etc)

You can select several apps to launch in menu/parameters/my_apps or select several categories

To launch random Facebook friends' wall or random contacts: single click on "social" button

To search "social" within Facebook or Twitter, long click on "social" button

Enjoy with SerendApp !

Last edited:

masterdevx

Dec 2, 2010
masterdevx.blogspot.com
Hi,

If you have ForceClosing issues (Facebook app bug), just install apk provided here http://goo.gl/Zjjmg or use only "facebook web" in menu/parameters

https://github.com/facebook/facebook-android-sdk and install apk provided (version 1.5.0)

get it with git also: git clone git://github.com/facebook/facebook-android-sdk.git

..and wait for the update of Facebook 1.5.3 with a working official app (and with SerendApp :) )

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I present you SerendApp, an app that helps you to discover new things almost at random, it is a kind of serendipity.

icon.jpg

Notably, SerendApp helps you to discover at random apps that are installed on your phone !

♥ "Your Life At Random With SerendApp for Android...this app will inspire you and show you what you were thinking of doing (or not)" (XDA-Developers: http://goo.gl/euy23)

Notes:
    - Google chrome extension: http://goo.gl/Y4OXj
    - categorize apps

SerendApp helps you to discover new things with serendipity !

Notes:
    ✔ To launch features directly from your homescreen: long clik on homescreen, select "shortcuts", then "serendapp"

Features:
    ========

♔ launch at random:

✔ your installed apps !
    ✔ bookmarked/selected/categorized apps
    ✔ your photo galleries
    ✔ your music on your SDCard (plays automatically)
    ✔ your contacts on your phone
    ✔ your Facebook friends walls (with Facebook official android apps or Facebook mobile site)
    ✔ your web bookmarks
    ✔ web sites ("I'm feeling lucky" like)
    ✔ articles from wiki projects (wikipedia, wiktionary,wikiquote)

✔ popular Youtube videos (plays automatically with Youtube Android app)

✔ Google Maps of 30000 cities, 20 countries, 200 famous places, 17 museums (from Google Art Project), some places from UNESCO World Heritage + Street Views ! (contribution list here:http://goo.gl/BhlUa)

✔ see 1700+ high quality Masterpieces at random (Monet, Manet, Caravage, delacroix, Klimt, Rembrandt, Renoir,Vangogh, gauguin, caillebotte, Vinci, Corot, Boudin, Courbet, Vermeer, Velasquez, Goya, Degas, Rubens, Boticelli, Cezanne ...)!

♔ search at random for
    ✔ apps to install in the android market
    ✔ music with "Amazon mp3" android app or with mobile browser
    ✔ web searches with Google Search engine
    ✔ YouTube videos
    ✔ images and slideshows
    ✔ google news

✔ categorize apps: this feature is no more available due to market change
    ✔ bookmark/share/select/uninstall your apps
    ✔ list of installed apps (selected apps will be launched prior to categories)

✔ customizable button to launch what you want :)
    ✔ launch an activity when SerendApp starts
    ✔ launch all features at random
    ✔ shortcuts for each feature (like a widget:long click on homescreen/serendapp)
    ✔ shake your phone to launch "custom" features ! (see menu/settings/shake to configure)

video.jpg

===========================

Thanks XDA team for the homepage article "Your Life At Random With SerendApp for Android"

If you have any suggestions do not hesitate; more features and new integrations are coming soon :cool:

If you have discovered something interesting with SerendApp, let us know ;)

Enjoy with SerendApp !

Shortcuts:

• icone_all_shortcut.png
      Any features is launched at random
    • icone_apps_shortcut.png
      All your installed apps at random
    • icone_apps_bookmarks_shortcut.png
      All apps you have bookmarked launched at random; see menu/manage/my apps, long click on an app
    • icone_market_shortcut.png
      Search for apps to install in Android Market ...at random
    • icone_contact_shortcut.png
      Show your phone contacts at random ...send text or call that contact, since you are there ;-)
    • icone_facebook_shortcut.png
      Show your Facebook friends walls at random, easy way to visit at random your friends pages !
    • icone_image_local_shortcut.png
      Launch at random your photo galeries on your sdcard
    • icone_image_shortcut.png
      Search at random for images on the web: google image, flickr interestingness since 2004, picasaweb
    • icone_travel_shortcut.png
      Visit cities and famous places in the World with Google Maps !
    • icone_streetview_shortcut.png
      Visit cities and famous places in the World with Google Street View ! See, as if you were there ! see menu/manage/maps to configure
    • icone_video_shortcut.png
      Search for random videos
    • icone_youtube_shortcut.png
      Play at random popular videos from Youtube: most popular / discussed/ commented / rated /responded
    • icone_music_local_shortcut.png
      Listen to one of your musics at random !
    • icone_music_shortcut.png
      Search for random music on the web or from dedicated apps (e.g. amazon mp3)
    • icone_wiki_shortcut.png
      Launch wiki article at random (wikipedia, wiktionary, wikiquote)
    • icone_web_bookmarks_shortcut.png
      Launch your web bookmarks at random: bookmark some sites and they will be launched at random by SerendApp !
    • icone_web_shortcut.png
      Launch random web search
    • icone_web_lucky_shortcut.png
      Launch random web site: a "i'm feeling lucky" like feature !
    • icone_news_shortcut.png
      Search for news at random
    • icone_social_shortcut.png
      Search for social contents from microblogging twitter / google and Facebook

======================

Notes:

* Google Chrome Extension is also available with Facebook friends wall/wiki/Image/Video features: http://goo.gl/zwueK

SerendApp icon will be in your panel extensions bar, just click on it ! Right click on it to see options (configure features to launch: multiple tabs, autoplay with youtube videos, shuffle time, wiki language ...)

* For other browsers, the Facebook app is ready also :). The application page is here (click on "Go to App" to authorize and then launch it): http://goo.gl/cdfeq

*Update Facebook app to newest version 1.5.4 for bug fixes; it works now with SerendApp; activate "Facebook app" in menu/parameters/contacts if you met issues with previous update

* If your Facebook app crashes (force close from official app due to recent unfixed bugs for gingerbread or other systems with 1.5.3 version), just go to menu/parameters/"contacts & friends" and choose "facebook web" instead of "facebook app" (and "contact" if you want).
    If nothing happen, try to logout in menu/parameters/"manage facebook" and test again ; it won't affect your shortcuts ;-)

* For Music feature: some players won't play "next" music in shuffle mode; if available, see menu/shuffle (party shuffle) or similar & activate it

- Same as above for apps

Good work!