[How To] ROOT- Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 [GT-P5113 / 5100 / 5110 & 4.0.4 UPGRADE or OEM]

Search This thread

weltwon

Jul 29, 2010
Henderson NV
HOW TO ROOT Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Model GT-P5113, GT-P5110 or GT-P5100

This solution requires access to a PC running Windows. Linux & Apple install info: post #203.
This process adds 1 to your Download Counter (indicates tablet is customized unless reset to zero).
Like everyone else on xda-developers, I make no guarantees nor bear any responsibility for your Samsung Galaxy Tablet(s).

This procedure works on stock 4.03 ROM but may not work if your new tablet comes with 4.04 installed.
For those who receive a new tablet running 4.0.3 : ROOT your tablet BEFORE you install 4.0.4 update
and if you update to a 4.0.4 ROM by installing a zip file via CWM5 your access to CWM5 should remain.
If you used KIES to update to 4.04 BEFORE rooting OR received a new tablet that came loaded with 4.04,
use
workaround at post 325.

What you need:
1. Odin3-v1.85_3.zip
2.ClockworkMod Recovery Version 5.5.0.4: is no longer available for download so you can try using philz_touch_4.93.6-p5100.zip and his .tar versions which should work as well or better than 5.5.0.4 did. Download BOTH the zip and tar versions.
3. If you never installed Samsung KIES, you MUST install Samsung USB Drivers BEFORE any of the above (so your PC connects to tablet).

IMPORTANT: Copy philz_touch_4.93.6-p5100.zip to the ROOT of your external sdcard ( /mnt/extSdCard ). This is the micro sdcard you insert in tablet slot. Your /mnt/sdcard folder is internal memory (not recognized in CWM recovery).

To avoid confusion about using the Volume rocker switch, I'll refer to side closest to POWER button as LEFT/Volume DOWN and side away from power switch as RIGHT/VolumeUP.

STEP 1:
Turn tablet OFF and restart in download mode by pushing and holding Power & Volume UP/RIGHT buttons at same time. When wording with yellow triangle appears, push Volume down to continue into download (ODIN) mode. Don't plug tablet into computer yet.

STEP 2:
Make sure KIES (if installed) is closed and not running.
Extract Odin3 v1.85.exe and run it.

STEP 3:
Connect tablet to computer.
In Odin, click PDA button. Select philz_touch_4.93.6-p5100.tar file you downloaded and click START button.
Let Odin install files. When it's done installing CWM, box turns GREEN and tablet will reboot.

STEP 4:
Disconnect tablet from computer. Turn tablet OFF and restart in recovery (CWM) by pushing and holding Power & Volume DOWN/LEFT buttons at same time. When Samsung Tab 2 10.1 logo appears, you can release power button but continue holding volume button for a few more seconds. Note: If you've done this on other Samsung devices, you will notice that it takes longer before blue CWM text appears ... just be patient.

Once you are in recovery, use volume button (UP/DOWN/LEFT OR RIGHT) to move around and POWER button to select an option.
Select install zip from sdcard. Choose philz_touch_4.93.6-p5100.zip) file you already copied to root of sdcard.

When rooting is finished, choose reboot system now from CWM menu.

DONE !

You should now be rooted. Depending on your Tab2 model, you may need to manually install SuperUser and disable SuperSU before you can install or use all root goodies.

Now that your Tab 2 10.1 is rooted, I strongly suggest going to Play Store and install a free app called Quick Boot. It lets you reboot into CWM the easiest & fastest way. Then reboot into Recovery (CWM) and make a Backup BEFORE you do ANYTHING else to your tablet.

WARNING: Do not install ROM Manager until developer says app will support Tab2 10.1 < Posting this because someone bricked their Tab2.
In addition, ROM Toolbox may not work properly (1 crash reported).

Thanks to nycbjr, xoomdev, Android Groupee, nitr8, Codeworkx snd trevd for help and pieces of the aforementioned process.

RE-ROOTING
If you do a firmware update, simply re-root using same procedure and tablet will retain root status (until you do another firmware sometime in the future).

UNROOTING
I have successfully unrooted my GT-P5113: [How to] UN-ROOT Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 [GT-P5113 / 5100 / 5110]
If you're curious about my complete analysis of this tablet, where to buy accessories at LOW prices
and my feedback after testing a few custom ROMs, read my Galaxy Tab2 10.1 Review on epinions.

Enjoy,

Glenn :)

| Nexus 7 | Galaxy S II | ASUS TF700 | Jura J9 < Love my digital expresso machine
(Sorry y'all ... sold my Tab2 10.1 many moons ago but I have updated the download links shown above).

Those who click THANKS are appreciated.

P.S. Samsung 4.0.4 was my NEW favorite ROM (until I sold my last T2).
404 was faster & smoother than ANY other current custom ROMs!
and found more WiFi signals & faster tether to my Sprint E4GT Hotspot! Now my Asus TF700 is The Bolt.

Last edited:

PanchoPlanet

Oct 15, 2011
Crooklyn
I have achieved successful root of my new Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 thanks to help from nycbjr, xoomdev, Android Groupee and my many prior experiences using ODIN ...

That's it. If everything went well, you should now be rooted.

I'm posting this within 5 minutes of having successfully rooted my new Tab 2 10.1 and before even stopping for morning coffee, so PLEASE don't hate me if i overlooked any minute details! It has not affected any other aspects of the new smooth-running Tab 2 10.1 except that I can now install and use apps that require root such as Quick Boot.

Pp.
Enjoy,

Hay Glenn can you give some more details and screen shots when you get a chance. Any issues with any apps. Looking forward to rooting my new10.1, also am going to be looking for some ics theming, would like to get rid that GB green.

Sent your way by ICS goodness.

Reactions: himaima

weltwon

Jul 29, 2010
Henderson NV
Details & screen shots

Hay Glenn can you give some more details and screen shots when you get a chance. Any issues with any apps. Looking forward to rooting my new10.1, also am going to be looking for some ics theming, would like to get rid that GB green.

Screen shots of what? Nothing changes in the way it boots or runs apps (no yellow triangle, no slow down when booting). Difference you'll see is in the recovery mode. The stock recovery (CWM) doesn't allow you to run the root zip or other custom zip files (I know, I tried). That's why you must first use ODIN to install the custom CWM.

When it comes to compiling themes and custom ROMs I'm clueless, but it's just a matter of time before the other REAL wizards here will satisfy our appetites. I just contribute what & when I can because open source is all about teamwork & sharing knowledge.

PanchoPlanet

Oct 15, 2011
Crooklyn
Thanks for the quick reply, looking forward to getting rid of bloatware
mainly. Will give it a try tonight.
Pp.

Delivered to you via microwave technology .

Reactions: himaima

weltwon

Jul 29, 2010
Henderson NV
I'm in Vegas so I gambled & WE all won!

This is quick work and excellent news! Thanks to all involved!!

You're welcome. I credited the people and places where I found the components they used to root the 7 inch Tab 2 and then I gambled $399 that doing the same to my Tab 2 10.1 would deliver the same results.

We won !

If I have a drink or two tonight I might try one of the Tab2 7 inch custom ROMs on my 10.1, however, the intelligent part of my brain (still functional as I type this) says I might be wise to first see if both models use the same processor and have the same screen resolution. If anyone reading this has any insight as to what may happen if I try a 7 inch ROM, please post a response to this!

Regardless, I will go into CWM and make a back of my current setup BEFORE I wander into the unknown.

If you see a new Tab 2 10.1 Custom ROM thread in the next 24hrs with WELTWON as the author, you'll know we won again.

PanchoPlanet

Oct 15, 2011
Crooklyn
Sucsess

Followed steps in OP and I have ROOT!, Thanks to all involved, this is great.
Installed rom toolbox and cleaned things up, got rid of a lot bloatware and all is well. Now to find some themes and custom roms and bask in the ICS goodness.
Kudos to Weltwon for putting this out for us.

Pp.:):):)

weltwon

Jul 29, 2010
Henderson NV
Not going to try 7inch ROMs on Tab 2 10.1

Tab 7inch is 1024x600... not the same as ours which is 1280x800

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks & you're correct. Even after some wine, my brain said to wait until one of the real XDA wizards mixes us a kettle of 10.1 Tab2 ROM. Instead, I am now going see if the wpa_supplicant tinkering I did with my old 8.9 Tab can add AD-HOC reception to this new tablet. ...Wait...looks like we might already have AD-HOC in this version of ICS ! Stay tuned for an update ...

Reactions: nelsonoski1972

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
Thank you! This is great!

However, I don't have a Windows machine: only a Mac and a Linux box. So does anyone know of a version of odin (or an equivalent program) that I can use under MacOSX (Lion) or Linux (Mint 12) to perform this rooting procedure for the 10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 2?

Thanks in advance.
.​

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
Thank you.

However, this is a source distribution, and I have to do too much work to download and install the various dependencies before it will build.

Therefore, I bit the bullet and borrowed a Windows machine so I could use odin. Following the instructions here, the rooting took no more than 10 minutes, and it worked great!

Thanks again to weltwon for the great work!
.​

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

In rooting my Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1), I noticed that in a few places where weltwon wrote "Volume UP", it had to be "Volume DOWN" for me, and vice versa. Here are the places where I had to switch "UP" and "DOWN". The corrected instructions are in red ...

• Turn off your tablet and restart it in download mode by pushing and holding down the Power and Volume UP buttons at the same time. Push the Volume DOWN to get into download mode. Don't plug the tablet into the computer yet.

• Disconnect the tablet from the computer. Turn the tablet off and restart it in recovery mode by pushing and holding the Power and Volume DOWN buttons at the same time. Note: If you've done this on other Samsung devices, you may notice that it is a bit slower to enter CWM v5.5.0.4 ...just be patient.

Last edited:

PanchoPlanet

Oct 15, 2011
Crooklyn
Yes I did notice that the volume thing was different when I rooted my Tab yesterday, anyway you cant go wrong with a PC. Yes it is slow going into recovery as compared to my epic touch. Now we play the waiting game for Roms and themes. The only issue I have at present is with this forum app, it closes when ever I try to go back using the back button, once in a while it force closes also. Root is good!
Pp.

Delivered to you via microwave technology .

Reactions: HippoMan

weltwon

Jul 29, 2010
Henderson NV
Volume Up down & sideways

Thank you.

However, this is a source distribution, and I have to do too much work to download and install the various dependencies before it will build.

Therefore, I bit the bullet and borrowed a Windows machine so I could use odin. Following the instructions here, the rooting took no more than 10 minutes, and it worked great!

Thanks again to weltwon for the great work!
.​

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

In rooting my Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1), I noticed that in a few places where weltwon wrote "Volume UP", it had to be "Volume DOWN" for me, and vice versa. Here are the places where I had to switch "UP" and "DOWN". The corrected instructions are in red ...

• Turn off your tablet and restart it in download mode by pushing and holding down the Power and Volume UP buttons at the same time. Push the Volume DOWN to get into download mode. Don't plug the tablet into the computer yet.

• Disconnect the tablet from the computer. Turn the tablet off and restart it in recovery mode by pushing and holding the Power and Volume DOWN buttons at the same time. Note: If you've done this on other Samsung devices, you may notice that it is a bit slower to enter CWM v5.5.0.4 ...just be patient.

Thanks for reminding me to fix that part of the instructions. I actually got that from our NYCBJR friend. I forgot that in New York UP is DOWN and vice versa. ;)

Bottom line...we all figured it out so kudos to our OWN intelligence!

Actually might be better if we all agreed to refer to the volume switch as LEFT (button side closest to POWER) and RIGHT would be the one farther away from POWER. IDEA ... what if we designate BOTH LEFT&DOWN or RIGHT&UP FOR THE VOLUME SWITCH?

Last edited:
Reactions: HippoMan and Sqb

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HOW TO ROOT Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Model GT-P5113, GT-P5110 or GT-P5100

This solution requires access to a PC running Windows. Linux & Apple install info: post #203.
    This process adds 1 to your Download Counter (indicates tablet is customized unless reset to zero).
    Like everyone else on xda-developers, I make no guarantees nor bear any responsibility for your Samsung Galaxy Tablet(s).

This procedure works on stock 4.03 ROM but may not work if your new tablet comes with 4.04 installed.
    For those who receive a new tablet running 4.0.3 : ROOT your tablet BEFORE you install 4.0.4 update
    and if you update to a 4.0.4 ROM by installing a zip file via CWM5 your access to CWM5 should remain.
    If you used KIES to update to 4.04 BEFORE rooting OR received a new tablet that came loaded with 4.04,
    use
    workaround at post 325.

What you need:
    1. Odin3-v1.85_3.zip
    2.ClockworkMod Recovery Version 5.5.0.4: is no longer available for download so you can try using philz_touch_4.93.6-p5100.zip and his .tar versions which should work as well or better than 5.5.0.4 did. Download BOTH the zip and tar versions.
    3. If you never installed Samsung KIES, you MUST install Samsung USB Drivers BEFORE any of the above (so your PC connects to tablet).

IMPORTANT: Copy philz_touch_4.93.6-p5100.zip to the ROOT of your external sdcard ( /mnt/extSdCard ). This is the micro sdcard you insert in tablet slot. Your /mnt/sdcard folder is internal memory (not recognized in CWM recovery).

To avoid confusion about using the Volume rocker switch, I'll refer to side closest to POWER button as LEFT/Volume DOWN and side away from power switch as RIGHT/VolumeUP.

STEP 1:
    Turn tablet OFF and restart in download mode by pushing and holding Power & Volume UP/RIGHT buttons at same time. When wording with yellow triangle appears, push Volume down to continue into download (ODIN) mode. Don't plug tablet into computer yet.

STEP 2:

STEP 3:
    In Odin, click PDA button. Select philz_touch_4.93.6-p5100.tar file you downloaded and click START button.
    Let Odin install files. When it's done installing CWM, box turns GREEN and tablet will reboot.

STEP 4:
    Disconnect tablet from computer. Turn tablet OFF and restart in recovery (CWM) by pushing and holding Power & Volume DOWN/LEFT buttons at same time. When Samsung Tab 2 10.1 logo appears, you can release power button but continue holding volume button for a few more seconds. Note: If you've done this on other Samsung devices, you will notice that it takes longer before blue CWM text appears ... just be patient.

Once you are in recovery, use volume button (UP/DOWN/LEFT OR RIGHT) to move around and POWER button to select an option.
    Select install zip from sdcard. Choose philz_touch_4.93.6-p5100.zip) file you already copied to root of sdcard.

DONE !

You should now be rooted. Depending on your Tab2 model, you may need to manually install SuperUser and disable SuperSU before you can install or use all root goodies.

Now that your Tab 2 10.1 is rooted, I strongly suggest going to Play Store and install a free app called Quick Boot. It lets you reboot into CWM the easiest & fastest way. Then reboot into Recovery (CWM) and make a Backup BEFORE you do ANYTHING else to your tablet.

WARNING: Do not install ROM Manager until developer says app will support Tab2 10.1 < Posting this because someone bricked their Tab2.
    In addition, ROM Toolbox may not work properly (1 crash reported).

Thanks to nycbjr, xoomdev, Android Groupee, nitr8, Codeworkx snd trevd for help and pieces of the aforementioned process.

RE-ROOTING
    If you do a firmware update, simply re-root using same procedure and tablet will retain root status (until you do another firmware sometime in the future).

UNROOTING
    I have successfully unrooted my GT-P5113: [How to] UN-ROOT Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 [GT-P5113 / 5100 / 5110]
    If you're curious about my complete analysis of this tablet, where to buy accessories at LOW prices
    and my feedback after testing a few custom ROMs, read my Galaxy Tab2 10.1 Review on epinions.

Enjoy,

| Nexus 7 | Galaxy S II | ASUS TF700 | Jura J9 < Love my digital expresso machine
    (Sorry y'all ... sold my Tab2 10.1 many moons ago but I have updated the download links shown above).

Those who click THANKS are appreciated.

P.S. Samsung 4.0.4 was my NEW favorite ROM (until I sold my last T2).
    404 was faster & smoother than ANY other current custom ROMs!
    and found more WiFi signals & faster tether to my Sprint E4GT Hotspot! Now my Asus TF700 is The Bolt.
    Root 4.0.4 workaround

Sounds like some of the people receiving new tablets that have 4.0.4 installed are having a problem that prevents using the root procedure in my OP so I am going to add a note accordingly until we have a definite solution.

For those who receive a new tablet running 4.0.3 :
    ROOT your tablet BEFORE you install 4.0.4 update
    and if you update to a 4.0.4 ROM by installing a zip file
    via CWM5 or CWM6 you won't lose access to CWM.

I had the same problem, because I had already taken the 4.0.4 update. The problem I (and I suspect the others) were having is the reboot after Odin installs the CWM. It happens so fast, there's no time to unplug the tablet and do the button dance to boot into recovery. As a result, the normal boot goes through, and runs the install-recovery.sh that Ryan79 mentioned in system/etc, restoring stock recovery.
    Here's how I solved it: On Odin, uncheck "Auto Reboot". Install CWM6. When it goes green, unplug the tablet (still in "download" screen). Reboot manually into recovery (hold power + Vol. left, release power, hold vol. left until CWM screen comes up). I did this straight from the "download" screen. The tablet powered off after a few seconds of holding the power button, then came up to the samsung screen, then I released the power button and continued to hold the volume button until CWM6 loaded. I installed the cwm-root-gtab2.zip file. I selected YES
    when the "Stock Reboot Fix" question appeared. Rebooted from recovery, Successful root! Looks to me like the "fix" simply renames the install-recovery.sh, removing the ".sh" at the end. I have now rebooted a couple of times normally, and can still access CWM6 through the buttons.
    Works with Tab 2 7 inch

Do you know if this same method will work on a 7" galaxy tab 2?

Sent from HTC Sensation w/Prime 5

Yes, exact same method and requirements.

Enjoy!

Galaxy Tab 4.2.2 procedure

I was unable to execute the procedure as described on page #1, i was recommended to install "GT-P5110_TWRP_2.6.3.1.zip" but this install failed in download mode (i got 3 errors/warnings). Finally got it working, here is the procedure hope i help someone.

What you need:
    1. Odin3-v1.85_3.zip
    2. philz_touch_6.07.9-p5110.tar.md5 and philz_touch_6.07.9-p5110.zip (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2201860, too bad the project is ended for now (5 oct. 2014)

STEP 1:
    Copy philz_touch_6.07.9-p5110.zip to the ROOT of your external sdcard ( /mnt/extSdCard ). This is the micro sdcard you insert in tablet slot. Your /mnt/sdcard folder is internal memory (not recognized in CWM recovery).

STEP 2:

STEP 3:

STEP 4:
    IMPORTANT: Make sure REBOOT is OFF (unselected).
    In Odin, click PDA button. Select philz_touch_6.07.9-p5110.tar.md5 file you downloaded and click START button.
    Let Odin install files. When it's done installing CWM, box turns GREEN.
    After 1-2 seconds the tablet shows a (light)blue bar at the bottom of the screen. Step 4 is completed.

STEP 5:
    Disconnect tablet from computer.
    Now comes the tricky part.
    Turn tablet OFF, hold POWER button for 3-5 seconds. The screen becomes totally black.
    When turned black release POWER and immediately Power & Volume DOWN/LEFT buttons at same time.
    When Samsung Tab 2 10.1 logo appears, you can release power button but continue holding volume button for a few more seconds.
    You should restart in recovery now, loading the new philz touch recovery.

STEP 6:
    Select install zip from sdcard. Choose philz_touch_6.07.9-p5110.zip file you already copied to root of sdcard.

STEP 7 (last, but important!):
    You get 2 questions (i sorry, cant remember them exactly):
    1. you agree to a modification yes/no;
    2. a confirmation yes/no.
    Both say YES!

STEP 8.
    You should now be rooted.
    Install:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu and execute app.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup (to remove Samsung bloatware)
    Details & screen shots

Screen shots of what? Nothing changes in the way it boots or runs apps (no yellow triangle, no slow down when booting). Difference you'll see is in the recovery mode. The stock recovery (CWM) doesn't allow you to run the root zip or other custom zip files (I know, I tried). That's why you must first use ODIN to install the custom CWM.

When it comes to compiling themes and custom ROMs I'm clueless, but it's just a matter of time before the other REAL wizards here will satisfy our appetites. I just contribute what & when I can because open source is all about teamwork & sharing knowledge.