Search This thread

ricsim78

Sep 7, 2010
Chicago Heights, IL
Last updated: 06/23/2011 10:00 PM CST
  • Azrael X v5.0 available for download now! Enjoy!*
  • This post is not going to be able to be fully updated until tomorrow so don't pay any attention to it.

Please take a moment and read this entire first post!

Please see the second post for installation instructions and other useful information

Azrael X v5.0

Well, after a break, a lot of new OTA updates and such, and a lot of patience from most of you...here it is! I apologize for the wait and hope you find this release worth it. I still have to upload pics and such, they will be here soon.

I consider this still to be a Beta (have yet to find anything on it that does not work) but you can use this as a daily driver because (like all the other Azrael ROMS before it) it is a modified OTA. If you do happen to have any problems with it, please let me know. A more finalized version will be coming out soon but I am using this as my daily driver and working flawlessly for me thus far.

Please enjoy, will update this first post soon to reflect more of the changed in the ROM.

Note: I highly recommend a full wipe (Data, cache, Dalvik, and SD:Ext) before installing. If not, enjoy your gamble!

The ROM:
-Made with the latest dsixda ROM Kitchen v0.166
-Stock Deodexed 4.24.651.1 (Fixed Netflix and more)
-HTC kernel 18-2 #1 from Tuesday June 14 (latest stock kernal)

Features:
-Everything working!
-Extremely Fast and stable
-Optimized Framework and most system apps
-PNGOUT optimized stock wallpapers
-Fully Deodexed
-Data/App functionality
-BASH shell support
-Automatically Zipaligns all apps after each boot to help them load up faster
-Added Darktremor's Apps2SD.

Customization:
-Custom Wallpapers
-Custom Ringtones (more added now!)
-Custom Notification sounds from previous versions of Azrael, along with the stock ones! Tons to choose from now!
-Custom Fonts

Includes:
-Wireless Tether added
-DSP Manager (EQ for speaker, headphone, and Bluetooth)
-Themed HTC_IME Mod keyboard (To activate it, just click on any text box and hold your finger down on it, input options>HTC_IME mod.)
-Tun.Ko added to system/lib/modules for OpenVPN and tether
-Netflix added and tested working

Fixes:
-*EPST downgraded so all ## codes work (not....was intended but mistakenly put newer EPST, will be fixed soon!)
-SDcard speed fix implemented

Recommended:

-In Spare Parts, set Window Animations and Transition Animations to Fast and watch this fly!
-After installing all of your programs, do a reboot and let it Zipalign all of the programs

Apps added:
+Apps2SD (not to be confused with Darktremor's Apps2sd)
+Astro File Manager
+Cooliris 3D Gallery (Froyo version)
+DSP Manager (EQ for speaker, headphone, and Bluetooth)
+Netflix (working with new OTA)
+Uninstaller by Rhythm Software
+Titanium Backup (Note: Open the program and hit, "Problems?" and download Busybox 1.60 or the phone will reboot if you try and use it.)
+Spare Parts
+XDA App
Apps taken out:

-Nova
**For installation instructions, please see the second post**

A Special thanks to:
*My girlfriend Grace for being there for me and putting up with me and this damn phone that she got for me for my birthday!

*The artists who made the wallpapers used (Just amazing)
*DSIXDA for the excellent ROM kitchen, without which none of this would be possible
*Calkulin (for all of his contributions)
*Kingklick and Netarchy (for their awesome kernels and all their contributions to the community.)
*XxXViRuSXxX for making some amazing ROMS
*HTC (for finally fixing the bleeping 30 FPS limit on the Evo)
*gimpSTA for the modded HTC_IME MOD
*LovethyEVO for getting the boot animation working for Azrael 2.1, thanks again!!!
*iknowsquat for all of his help and suggestions
*Vaelek & Novarider for the Wireless Tethering fix
*My mom for having me :cool:
*Every person that supports me here. Thanks everyone!
*Anyone else significant that I am forgetting!

PLEASE NOTE: I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device. This includes acts of God, your wife/girlfriend breaking it over your head for using it too much, or jealous iPhone owners!

I hope you like, please provide feedback to me and let me know what you think! Please also rate the thread and if you like my work (or even feel like I do not know what the hell I am doing) let me know! I will consider any suggestions but I of course cannot/will not implement everything. But, if your suggestion makes sense, I will definitely take it and see what I can do!

(Click on the name of the file you want to download.)

Get it here!

Azrael X v5.0 by Ricsim78

Attachments

• Calkulin's_EViO_2_Remove_HTCLockscreen.zip
    205 KB · Views: 1,965
  • Startup_Sound_remover_flash_me-signed.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 924
Last edited:

ricsim78

Sep 7, 2010
Chicago Heights, IL
To install on your Evo:

1. Copy the ROM zip file to the root of your SD card.
2. Shut off your phone and boot into recovery.
3. Do a full wipe (Data, cache, Dalvik, SD Ext.) Do it twice to be sure if you want to!
4. Install the ROM. It should take a few minutes to install.
5. Reboot the phone. It should take a long time to start up the first time. Please be patient!
6. If all goes well, enjoy your new ROM!
7. If not, start over from step 2 after pulling your battery.

To install a custom kernel: Let it boot all the way into the ROM first and then reboot into recovery and wipe the cache and Dalvik. Then install the custom kernel and reboot. DO NOT install any MODS without letting the ROM load up without any addons first!

To install a theme: Let it boot all the way into the ROM first, then reboot into recovery and wipe the cache and Dalvik. Then install the theme and reboot.

How to backup and restore using Titanium backup Here is the method I use to backup my phone information before I wipe and install a new ROM
  • I backup my entire phone with a batch "Backup all user apps + system data"
  • Wipe and install the new ROM,
  • I open Titanium Backup (TB) and give it super user rights.
  • I hit "Updates?" in TB and make sure I am running the latest.
  • I hit "Problems?" in TB and make sure I am using Busybox 1.60
  • Hit menu and select batch
  • Select "Backup all new apps + newer versions of apps", if any.
  • Select "Restore missing apps with data"
  • Go over the list and make sure you are restoring only what you want
  • Hit run batch operation
  • After it completes, go back into TB and backup restore.
  • Restore contacts twice
  • Restore MMS twice
  • Restore Mail twice
  • If any of the 3 above do not take, do it again
  • Restart your phone
  • Verify mail, MMS, and contacts restored. If not, restore again.

Why Amon RA and not Clockwork recovery?

Clockwork does not wipe the Dalvik properly (if at all). I personally have had nothing but problems with both Clockwork and ROM manager

I have said countless times that if you use either of the above, it is at your own risk. Install Amon RA recovery and I bet any wiping/installing problems will go away.

If you already are using ROM manager, pick the option to install a custom recovery, choose Amon RA 1.8. If that option is greyed out, reinstall the latest Clockwork then install RA.

Note: Do not do a fix permissions with anything unless you need to, you can screw stuff up that way.

Trust me, the new ROM is devoid of problems (I have never tested a ROM this much before releasing it). If you experience any, it is either something you are doing wrong or incomplete wipes thanks to your recovery not doing it's job properly.

Which kernels work with this ROM?

Any that are designed for a Sense ROM. This includes:
  • Netarchy's
  • Kingclick's
  • Hero Over's
  • Ziggy's
  • HTC's

Which kernel do you recommend to use?

I cannot recommend a kernel for you because each EVO reacts different. The best for my phone can be the worse for yours.

You have to try the different ones available and pick the one that works best for you. What I do is start with their latest and work your way down until you find one that works well. Then stick with it.

This also goes for overclocking, SetCPU settings, etc.

With the new Hardware 0004 Evo phones, a custom kernel may or may not break the camera and video recording features. Make sure to test them before you head out.

Which themes work with this ROM?

Themes make your phone look nice but can also add problems to an otherwise smooth running ROM. You can use any theme you wish, but Nandroid first and if anything is broken, please do not blame the ROM as it is the theme that added the problem.

You definitely need to install a theme that works with a Gingerbread based ROM. DO NOT load an older theme (for older OTA's, for example 3.70, 3.30 or 3.29) as the framework files are different.

Always Nandroid before using a custom theme. Once you load up the theme, verify no problems are present that were not there before you installed the theme. If there is, keep the theme and either live with the problem, or fix it if you can. If not,be sure to let the maker of that particular theme aware that it is not working with Azrael ROM. They may be glad to help and you are helping them make their theme more compatible.

Last edited:

khshapiro

Oct 18, 2009
Florida
i feel like its a few hours before xmas, i cant wait! :)

Edit:
will the older Azrael themes work well with the 2.5?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Drew5150

ricsim78

Sep 7, 2010
Chicago Heights, IL
Sorry guys for the confusion, I am trying to maximize my time and setup the post while uploading it, it will be available within 20 minutes. I will update the first post when it is ready.

ricsim78

Sep 7, 2010
Chicago Heights, IL
What's wrong with using 3.30 on a 003?
I'm not seeing any flaws so far.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

3.30.651.2 (and subsequently 3.30.651.3) is 100% designed for newer Evo manufactured in November.

These Evos are hardware number 0004 and have a different camera chip and some other changes to the framework of the ROMS to accommodate this new hardware. HTC threw us ROM makers a curve ball!

You can use 3.30.XXX.X on an older Evo, but you can experience the following problems (some of which I personally witnessed on my own 0003 Evo):

• Fast battery drain
  • 3rd party camera apps having trouble working
  • Speed descreased a bit. (My new Azrael ROM is faster than my new Omega ROM on my phone, though they are identical besides the base).

metalmenance

May 1, 2010
Knoxville, Tn
I liked omega but really do prefer the clear theme, so am really glad to see you post this new version of azrael, Woo Hoo!!! downloading now and will flash riptide clear over it from your link... Very sweet! you make a nice rom, keep up good work!

selders59

Jul 10, 2008
Cape Coral, Florida
3.30.651.2 (and subsequently 3.30.651.3) is 100% designed for newer Evo manufactured in November.

These Evos are hardware number 0004 and have a different camera chip and some other changes to the framework of the ROMS to accommodate this new hardware. HTC threw us ROM makers a curve ball!

You can use 3.30.XXX.X on an older Evo, but you can experience the following problems (some of which I personally witnessed on my own 0003 Evo):

• Fast battery drain
  • Speed descreased a bit. (My new Azrael ROM is faster than my new Omega ROM on my phone, though they are identical besides the base).

Ahhhh! And I was just going to ask you ric why the base change, my Evo is hardware #0003 too.

starkillers

Sep 17, 2008
Has the 3.30 base been definitely pinpointed as the cause of the rapid battery drain? I trust you and your Rom that's why I am using it. I only ask because it seems as most devs here have updated their Rom to the new base and was curious what in the build would cause this? Thanks.
t

• Fast battery drain

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Last updated: 06/23/2011 10:00 PM CST
    • Azrael X v5.0 available for download now! Enjoy!*
    • This post is not going to be able to be fully updated until tomorrow so don't pay any attention to it.

Please take a moment and read this entire first post!

Please see the second post for installation instructions and other useful information

Azrael X v5.0

Well, after a break, a lot of new OTA updates and such, and a lot of patience from most of you...here it is! I apologize for the wait and hope you find this release worth it. I still have to upload pics and such, they will be here soon.

I consider this still to be a Beta (have yet to find anything on it that does not work) but you can use this as a daily driver because (like all the other Azrael ROMS before it) it is a modified OTA. If you do happen to have any problems with it, please let me know. A more finalized version will be coming out soon but I am using this as my daily driver and working flawlessly for me thus far.

Please enjoy, will update this first post soon to reflect more of the changed in the ROM.

Note: I highly recommend a full wipe (Data, cache, Dalvik, and SD:Ext) before installing. If not, enjoy your gamble!

The ROM:
    -Made with the latest dsixda ROM Kitchen v0.166
    -Stock Deodexed 4.24.651.1 (Fixed Netflix and more)
    -HTC kernel 18-2 #1 from Tuesday June 14 (latest stock kernal)

Features:
    -Everything working!
    -Extremely Fast and stable
    -Optimized Framework and most system apps
    -PNGOUT optimized stock wallpapers
    -Fully Deodexed
    -Data/App functionality
    -BASH shell support
    -Automatically Zipaligns all apps after each boot to help them load up faster
    -Added Darktremor's Apps2SD.

Customization:
    -Custom Wallpapers
    -Custom Ringtones (more added now!)
    -Custom Notification sounds from previous versions of Azrael, along with the stock ones! Tons to choose from now!
    -Custom Fonts

Includes:
    -Wireless Tether added
    -DSP Manager (EQ for speaker, headphone, and Bluetooth)
    -Themed HTC_IME Mod keyboard (To activate it, just click on any text box and hold your finger down on it, input options>HTC_IME mod.)
    -Tun.Ko added to system/lib/modules for OpenVPN and tether
    -Netflix added and tested working

Fixes:
    -*EPST downgraded so all ## codes work (not....was intended but mistakenly put newer EPST, will be fixed soon!)
    -SDcard speed fix implemented

Recommended:

-In Spare Parts, set Window Animations and Transition Animations to Fast and watch this fly!
    -After installing all of your programs, do a reboot and let it Zipalign all of the programs

Apps added:
    +Apps2SD (not to be confused with Darktremor's Apps2sd)
    +Astro File Manager
    +Cooliris 3D Gallery (Froyo version)
    +DSP Manager (EQ for speaker, headphone, and Bluetooth)
    +Netflix (working with new OTA)
    +Uninstaller by Rhythm Software
    +Titanium Backup (Note: Open the program and hit, "Problems?" and download Busybox 1.60 or the phone will reboot if you try and use it.)
    +Spare Parts
    +XDA App
    Apps taken out:

-Nova
    **For installation instructions, please see the second post**

A Special thanks to:
    *My girlfriend Grace for being there for me and putting up with me and this damn phone that she got for me for my birthday!

*The artists who made the wallpapers used (Just amazing)
    *DSIXDA for the excellent ROM kitchen, without which none of this would be possible
    *Calkulin (for all of his contributions)
    *Kingklick and Netarchy (for their awesome kernels and all their contributions to the community.)
    *XxXViRuSXxX for making some amazing ROMS
    *HTC (for finally fixing the bleeping 30 FPS limit on the Evo)
    *gimpSTA for the modded HTC_IME MOD
    *LovethyEVO for getting the boot animation working for Azrael 2.1, thanks again!!!
    *iknowsquat for all of his help and suggestions
    *Vaelek & Novarider for the Wireless Tethering fix
    *My mom for having me :cool:
    *Every person that supports me here. Thanks everyone!
    *Anyone else significant that I am forgetting!

PLEASE NOTE: I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device. This includes acts of God, your wife/girlfriend breaking it over your head for using it too much, or jealous iPhone owners!

I hope you like, please provide feedback to me and let me know what you think! Please also rate the thread and if you like my work (or even feel like I do not know what the hell I am doing) let me know! I will consider any suggestions but I of course cannot/will not implement everything. But, if your suggestion makes sense, I will definitely take it and see what I can do!

(Click on the name of the file you want to download.)

Get it here!

Azrael X v5.0 by Ricsim78
    To install on your Evo:

1. Copy the ROM zip file to the root of your SD card.
    2. Shut off your phone and boot into recovery.
    3. Do a full wipe (Data, cache, Dalvik, SD Ext.) Do it twice to be sure if you want to!
    4. Install the ROM. It should take a few minutes to install.
    5. Reboot the phone. It should take a long time to start up the first time. Please be patient!
    6. If all goes well, enjoy your new ROM!
    7. If not, start over from step 2 after pulling your battery.

To install a custom kernel: Let it boot all the way into the ROM first and then reboot into recovery and wipe the cache and Dalvik. Then install the custom kernel and reboot. DO NOT install any MODS without letting the ROM load up without any addons first!

To install a theme: Let it boot all the way into the ROM first, then reboot into recovery and wipe the cache and Dalvik. Then install the theme and reboot.

How to backup and restore using Titanium backup Here is the method I use to backup my phone information before I wipe and install a new ROM
    • I backup my entire phone with a batch "Backup all user apps + system data"
    • Wipe and install the new ROM,
    • I open Titanium Backup (TB) and give it super user rights.
    • I hit "Updates?" in TB and make sure I am running the latest.
    • I hit "Problems?" in TB and make sure I am using Busybox 1.60
    • Hit menu and select batch
    • Select "Backup all new apps + newer versions of apps", if any.
    • Select "Restore missing apps with data"
    • Go over the list and make sure you are restoring only what you want
    • Hit run batch operation
    • After it completes, go back into TB and backup restore.
    • Restore contacts twice
    • Restore MMS twice
    • Restore Mail twice
    • If any of the 3 above do not take, do it again
    • Restart your phone
    • Verify mail, MMS, and contacts restored. If not, restore again.

Why Amon RA and not Clockwork recovery?

Clockwork does not wipe the Dalvik properly (if at all). I personally have had nothing but problems with both Clockwork and ROM manager

I have said countless times that if you use either of the above, it is at your own risk. Install Amon RA recovery and I bet any wiping/installing problems will go away.

If you already are using ROM manager, pick the option to install a custom recovery, choose Amon RA 1.8. If that option is greyed out, reinstall the latest Clockwork then install RA.

Note: Do not do a fix permissions with anything unless you need to, you can screw stuff up that way.

Trust me, the new ROM is devoid of problems (I have never tested a ROM this much before releasing it). If you experience any, it is either something you are doing wrong or incomplete wipes thanks to your recovery not doing it's job properly.

Which kernels work with this ROM?

Any that are designed for a Sense ROM. This includes:
    • Netarchy's
    • Kingclick's
    • Hero Over's
    • Ziggy's
    • HTC's

Which kernel do you recommend to use?

I cannot recommend a kernel for you because each EVO reacts different. The best for my phone can be the worse for yours.

You have to try the different ones available and pick the one that works best for you. What I do is start with their latest and work your way down until you find one that works well. Then stick with it.

This also goes for overclocking, SetCPU settings, etc.

With the new Hardware 0004 Evo phones, a custom kernel may or may not break the camera and video recording features. Make sure to test them before you head out.

Which themes work with this ROM?

Themes make your phone look nice but can also add problems to an otherwise smooth running ROM. You can use any theme you wish, but Nandroid first and if anything is broken, please do not blame the ROM as it is the theme that added the problem.

You definitely need to install a theme that works with a Gingerbread based ROM. DO NOT load an older theme (for older OTA's, for example 3.70, 3.30 or 3.29) as the framework files are different.

Always Nandroid before using a custom theme. Once you load up the theme, verify no problems are present that were not there before you installed the theme. If there is, keep the theme and either live with the problem, or fix it if you can. If not,be sure to let the maker of that particular theme aware that it is not working with Azrael ROM. They may be glad to help and you are helping them make their theme more compatible.
    You know what, I was kind of upset yesterday when I came here, but I am very impressed.

I am not going to quit, for one I am not quitter. I refuse to let a few negative things get to me.

I already began work on the next version of Azrael X. I cannot stop this, I really enjoy doing this and I feel I owe you all the best I can do.

I'm not quitting on you, Azrael X is alive and well and will continue to be until I get a new phone.

Really surprised...but thank you all! :D

I will continue to be a ROM maker and release my ROMS publicly. I can say that from now on, I will take advice but the ROMS will be more of what I want them to be. But that does not mean that good ideas will not be implemented.

So far, Azrael X 4.0 has the SD Card and 3G enhancements intact (thanks for the information and links) so as you can see, good advice is taken and implemented.

I am going to work my butt off on this version of Azrael and make it the best version ever!
    Azrael X 3.1 starts life today.

A new ROM to ring in the New Year!

I am going to redo my entire computer now. But then later tonight I will begin working on Azrael X 3.1.

I will, as per usual, have the change log intact on the first post. It will not be a major overhaul, but I always try making it worthwhile to upgrade and this will be no exception :).
    Today, I am starting work on a new ROM. I am not sure if this is going to be called Azrael X or be a different ROM entirely. Don't worry, Azrael X is here to stay and an update will be coming soon. I definitely want to take this new ROM in a different direction than Azrael X.

Let us see what I can come up with. As always, I'll keep you posted. :D