[Q] Changing CDMA

Search This thread

nocode99

Dec 6, 2010
I recently messed up my HTC Incredible and thinking about getting this phone off ebay/craigslist. My question is, is it easy to change the CDMA from phone to phone? I wasn't able to really see any instructions online specifically for these phones. Also, am I obligated to get a 4G enabled on the phone from Verizon?

Thanks

nocode99

Dec 6, 2010
Thanks - are there any tutorials on changing CDMAs? I'm having a hard time finding anything through Google.

nocode99

Dec 6, 2010
Yeah - I want to switch my line from the old incredible into a new phone. Should I just go to Verizon and have them program the new phone?

g00s3y

May 2, 2009
Fort Myers
www.twitter.com
Thanks - are there any tutorials on changing CDMAs? I'm having a hard time finding anything through Google.

CDMA != GSM

I believe you might be confusing swapping out a SIM card for transferring your number to another phone. You can get the phone off of eBay or CL, go to your local VZW store, and just have them transfer your number to your new phone. I believe the TB should come with the 4G LTE SIM card (has nothing to do with a GSM SIM card). If not I'm sure when you go to VZW to activate the phone that they will give you one there.

ProTekk

Dec 4, 2010
Freehold, NJ
www.facebook.com
CDMA != GSM

I believe you might be confusing swapping out a SIM card for transferring your number to another phone. You can get the phone off of eBay or CL, go to your local VZW store, and just have them transfer your number to your new phone. I believe the TB should come with the 4G LTE SIM card (has nothing to do with a GSM SIM card). If not I'm sure when you go to VZW to activate the phone that they will give you one there.

I'd recommend going to Verizon because you need to get a SIM card to activate the device anyway. Head over there and tell them that you're switching your DInc out for the Thunderbolt and that you need a SIM for it. They can activate it on the spot for you.

Even if he did get a SIM card with it, that SIM is not tied to his number. I'd still suggest going to Verizon and letting them handle the situation.

mr_schticker

Dec 19, 2010
As someone who just purchased a TB this way I can confirm: just walk into a corporate Vzw store and they'll give you a new sim (free) and activate your phone.
Kind of annoying having a sim like that, we used to be able to change equipment on he fly through Vzw.com or over the phone.

RunNgun42

Jul 14, 2010
VZW's 4G phones still use ESN numbers too. The sim is just to get access to the 4G network. You will want to make sure the phone you are buying has a clean ESN number. If VZW has it flagged as stolen or something, they wont activate the phone for you and there's nothing you can do.