[FIX] i9000 i9001 gps final fix

Search This thread

LEENO

Oct 7, 2008
Before to procede, remember all electrial component can have fault so exist warranty. If you want, procede at your own risk loosing warranty

For this tutorial is raccomanded professional leadfree soldering iron

i solved my gps problem, it is hardware problem, so no settings, gpsaids and no other solution helped me.

Problem is caused by bad gnd conductivity between mainboard and antenna. It is conduced by:

1) CONDUCTIVE GUMMY (suggest me better name if you have :) ) This kind of rubber was used for old nokia 8210 for connect display to mainboard. It was the mayor fault for nokia 8210.

2) back cover gps antenna: When phone become hot, antenna go back and not good touch with motherboard. Then, when phone isn't hot, gps antenna remains with a kind of "hole"

First try software fix (it not helped me) then try my solution

Solution:
Attention: it will avoid warranty, do it at your own risk, i'm not responsable for any fault.

SOLUTION:

20120724105029.jpg

here is antenna contact not used for my european i9000
Please check by yourself if it touch with your variant antenna,
if it is not used, you can remove and solder where was rubber

samli9000011.jpg

sc20120802003123.png

Now gps signal is immediate for me

Best regards
Leeno

Last edited:

LEENO

Oct 7, 2008
i moved in this third post the other solution,
it is easyer then solution in first post but i not like it because is not clean

Attention: it will avoid warranty, do it at your own risk, i'm not responsable for any fault.

For solve it i just removed rubber and soldered antenna to gps gnd mainboard like the picture.
Attention: if you use unprotected wire like picture, make sure it touch only gnd, not other components or you can damage phone.

Gnd require hard conductivity so
DO NOT USE VERY THIN WIRE

sam1044v.jpg

Last edited:

LEENO

Oct 7, 2008
you csn also use gps files extracted from nexuss gingerbread
i think those have not changed in GRK39F
but i will be checking that today

ics.samsung-updates.com/stockplusmod/GPS_GRK39C.zip

software can't fix hardware issues,
your posted file will only update settings and north american server for gps

i fixed i9000 froyo with my fix

Last edited:

ulsa

Aug 26, 2008
Where do you find the "third antenna contact"? I guess there are three and I do not want to take the second ...

LEENO

Oct 7, 2008
Please check by yourself if it touch with your variant antenna

samli9000011.jpg

Trak-X

Feb 14, 2010
Bucuresti
Google Pixel 5
Last edited:
Reactions: siddesu

bitblaster

Sep 2, 2008
Padova
What is the reason of this post? This fix is well known. A search might be helpful from time to time. The only useful info in this thread is the fact that you figured out that the other antenna is not used.
So no need for another one.

No, sorry, you're wrong.
THIS fix were not known at all! The thread you linked just refer to pull up the OTHER contact of the gps antenna, not the RUBBER ONE, which actually is the source of the problem.

So the next time please read carefully before suggesting someone a search.

This thread is VERY USEFUL! This man deserves all the praise and should be acknowledged of the REAL FINAL GPS FIX which turned my phone into what should have been since the first day!

Reactions: bobribbon

lcampori

Jan 29, 2011
bergamo
I was skeptical to say the least.

but this time, I have to admit: this solution works INSANELY WELL.

I made my own modded version, though. I removed the third unused antenna contact, and placed it over the conductive rubbed. no soldering involved. pressure keeps the contact in position and enhances the connection between antenna and mobo, similar but more effective than the other older solutions.

btw, I also changed server from europe.ntp.org to xtra1.gpsonextra.net, just like in my old acer liquid which locks really instactly.
connecting now in seconds in my living room (!!!) with 7 to 9 satellites. awesome. never happened before.

you deserve a huge thanks.

jeblond

Jan 24, 2008
Ploiesti
I did it this morning. I removed the rubber and soldered a wire between the contacts. I never had such a signal on my i9000, the gps works perfectly.

Huge thanks from here too.

lcampori

Jan 29, 2011
bergamo
anyone can post a picture of the contacts to connect on european i9000 ?

any screenshot of gps test ?

thx a lot to everyone

pictures in first post are self explaining.

I did not bother soldering anything. Just removed the unused antenna with some tweezers and placed it on top of the existing conductive rubber (but reversed upside down, though, to keep it level), I used a tiny bit of duct tape to hold it in place and to be sure it does not touch any other contact on the mobo.
I cannot exclude to solder it or use some conductive glue in the future, anyway, it sounds safer.

I can confirm this is THE solution. I am really astonished.

trut

Jan 27, 2011
near Novi Sad
I use tutorial from first page, remove useles antenna connector and ruber. Put connector on rubber place (after clean connect) and gently fix with hot glue. After assemble phone use gps test but speed is same slow like before first fix time 03:06. I check contacts and all god.
@lcampori where u change from europe.ntp.org to xtra1.gpsonextra.net ?
(sry for bad english)

lcampori

Jan 29, 2011
bergamo
I use tutorial from first page, remove useles antenna connector and ruber. Put connector on rubber place (after clean connect) and gently fix with hot glue. After assemble phone use gps test but speed is same slow like before first fix time 03:06. I check contacts and all god.
@lcampori where u change from europe.ntp.org to xtra1.gpsonextra.net ?
(sry for bad english)[/QUOT

gps.conf in /system/etc, you need a rooted phone the mod this file.

default server in sgs1 is "north-america.pool.ntp.org" which supposedly is not correct for european users. following suggestion here at xda, I changed the line to "europe.pool.ntp.org" months ago, and now after givig a look to gps.conf in the acer liquid to "xtra1.gpsonextra.net" and live happily with that.

I do not think this is the point, anyway. My old acer liquid uses "xtra1.gpsonextra.net" and locks sats in the blink of an eye, ditto for my wife's htc desire which has "pool.ntp.org". Any software related mod could be just placebo.

as far as I know (google search..), hot glue is not conductive. if so, you are not fixing anything. but I might be wrong.

Reactions: trut

trut

Jan 27, 2011
near Novi Sad
I use hot glue just from side to fix connect in place and check with multimeter all good. In my gps.conf i change from "pool.ntp.org" to "europe.pool.ntp.org" voila first fix time 00:31 and also me not use any help like wifi or mobile data just clean gps. However this fix work...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before to procede, remember all electrial component can have fault so exist warranty. If you want, procede at your own risk loosing warranty

For this tutorial is raccomanded professional leadfree soldering iron

i solved my gps problem, it is hardware problem, so no settings, gpsaids and no other solution helped me.

Problem is caused by bad gnd conductivity between mainboard and antenna. It is conduced by:

1) CONDUCTIVE GUMMY (suggest me better name if you have :) ) This kind of rubber was used for old nokia 8210 for connect display to mainboard. It was the mayor fault for nokia 8210.

2) back cover gps antenna: When phone become hot, antenna go back and not good touch with motherboard. Then, when phone isn't hot, gps antenna remains with a kind of "hole"

First try software fix (it not helped me) then try my solution

Solution:

SOLUTION:

20120724105029.jpg

Please check by yourself if it touch with your variant antenna,
    if it is not used, you can remove and solder where was rubber

samli9000011.jpg

sc20120802003123.png

Now gps signal is immediate for me

Best regards
    Leeno
    i moved in this third post the other solution,
    it is easyer then solution in first post but i not like it because is not clean

For solve it i just removed rubber and soldered antenna to gps gnd mainboard like the picture.
    Attention: if you use unprotected wire like picture, make sure it touch only gnd, not other components or you can damage phone.

Gnd require hard conductivity so
    DO NOT USE VERY THIN WIRE

sam1044v.jpg
    I tried my own, soldering-less version of this fix: I made the rubber connector just a big taller by adding on top of it some aluminum foil (normally used in kitchenware) folded some couples of times. I just folded the aluminum and layered it on top of the rubber connector, then put the cover case on top: pressure is keeping the aluminum foil in place (be sure to make it thick enough).

Result: it works amazingly!!! And it's 100% reversible :)

I finally, for the first time have a working GPS on the phone. From almost never getting lock, or loosing lock very often, it now locks in seconds, and never looses it (except where under tunnels, of course, but then it gets it back very quickly, at any speed up to 130Km/h, tested in a car). It even locks in seconds without internet connection (travelling abroad), so without support from wi-fi or cellular network.

Very great patch Leeno! Congrats and thank you!
    I use hot glue just from side to fix connect in place and check with multimeter all good. In my gps.conf i change from "pool.ntp.org" to "europe.pool.ntp.org" voila first fix time 00:31 and also me not use any help like wifi or mobile data just clean gps. However this fix work...

No one antenna will never work attaching with glue :)
    you have to solder it
    anyone can post a picture of the contacts to connect on european i9000 ?

any screenshot of gps test ?

thx a lot to everyone

pictures in first post are self explaining.

I did not bother soldering anything. Just removed the unused antenna with some tweezers and placed it on top of the existing conductive rubber (but reversed upside down, though, to keep it level), I used a tiny bit of duct tape to hold it in place and to be sure it does not touch any other contact on the mobo.
    I cannot exclude to solder it or use some conductive glue in the future, anyway, it sounds safer.

I can confirm this is THE solution. I am really astonished.