(Update 8/9) MMS.apk 4.3 (stock look, IOS emojis, quick reply) + Fully customizable

Search This thread

lowrider262

Jan 26, 2011
Racine, WI
Fourth file: Modded mms.apk based on the 4.3 mms.apk file. Basically the same as mmsmod.zip (stock look, emojis, quick reply, etc)
Third file: Mms.apk...stock look MMS.apk
Second file: mmsmod.zip...same as third, but in a flashable zip
First file: custommmsmod.zip... Customozable Mms.apk with bubble style & color options, in a flashable zip. For odexed Roms unzip the file and extract the MMS.apk, then follow the instructions below.

This is for the people like myself who want all the new features of the custom ROM messaging app but without being overly themed. What you get is a clean stock look with the IOS type emojis (I hate those new green/black ones:rolleyes:) w/ the quick emoji button, option for quick reply / popup, and change vibrate pattern option. I didn't build this, I extracted it from an old version of xylon ROM a while back, so credit goes to them. To install, simply use the root file browser of your choice to place the MMS.apk into system/app folder and set permissions to rw/r/r (if your not sure, long press any other apk in system/app folder and look at what boxes are checked, then do the same... should look like a backward 7), then reboot. If you are on stock odexed ROM you have to rename the Mms.odex file to Mms.odex.bak. I'd suggest doing a backup first or at least rename your original MMS.apk to MMS.apk.back so you can easily go back if something is wrong, but it should work fine. I've tested it on stock odexed ROM, everything works great including MMS. enjoy:)

Update: I have included flashable zips for DEODEX only. First one is the same (stock look, iOS emojis, popup), the second one is the newer fully customizable MMS.apk. its black but can be themed any color you like and even has bubble options, the customization possibilities are endless:laugh::good: give it a shot. It was pulled from baked ROM so credit goes to them

Update (5-3): replaced stock look MMS.apk with a new one extracted from slim ROM (credit due to slim Dev team). Basically the same as before with stock look but includes some nice new features: adjustable font size, "breathing"SMS icon on status bar, larger MMS preview pic, pushing "read" from lock screen no longer unlocks phone, privacy mode, pick up to call from SMS (awesome:laugh:), easy select for multiple recipeints, and more I can't remember right now.

Update (8/9): Added mmsmod4.3.zip, basically its the original mmsmod rebased on the Mms.apk file in 4.3, extracted from PSX rom (Thanks to ragnarokx for putting this together and the devs of PSX rom for the source of the .apk:good:)

Stock look
27bkk.jpg

2i102vk.jpg

Customizable mod
o50so3.jpg

2148ntl.png

Attachments

• custommmsmod.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 6,528
  • mmsmod.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 2,781
  • Mms.apk
    3.4 MB · Views: 7,012
  • mmsmod4.3.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 4,066
Last edited:

ecpolo521

Oct 10, 2010
Works great. Also love the reply/read/call options in notifications. Thanks.

Last edited:

d_phekt

Oct 23, 2006
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Re: MMS.apk (stock look, IOS emojis, quick reply) Works on odex

Looks and works great on stock/odex ROM here. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

noodles2224

Jan 10, 2009

Make sure you renamed it right, like this Mms.apk and that you set the permissions right.

Xx
X
X

Sent from my Nexus 4

lowrider262

Jan 26, 2011
Racine, WI

I have copy with root explorer in system/app and rename/replace to mms.apk
The right is already good
I have reboot
Something is wrong?

If you are on stock odexed ROM, make sure to rename the Mms.odex file to Mms.odex.bak

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: 09Ram

monchy36

Nov 28, 2012

How I rename the stock one? It's not letting me... Using ES file explorer...

androidtoy09

Jun 2, 2009

Is there any script that keeps the mms app survive regular CM 10.1 Nightlies flashes?

lowrider262

Jan 26, 2011
Racine, WI

Is there any script that keeps the mms app survive regular CM 10.1 Nightlies flashes?

I never actually tried it, but in theory you should just be able to edit the 99.gapps script (I think that's what it was called:eek:) in init.d to include MMS.apk. I'd ask in the CM discussion thread in the general forum, I'm sure they could give you a more definite answer:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fourth file: Modded mms.apk based on the 4.3 mms.apk file. Basically the same as mmsmod.zip (stock look, emojis, quick reply, etc)
    Third file: Mms.apk...stock look MMS.apk
    Second file: mmsmod.zip...same as third, but in a flashable zip
    First file: custommmsmod.zip... Customozable Mms.apk with bubble style & color options, in a flashable zip. For odexed Roms unzip the file and extract the MMS.apk, then follow the instructions below.

This is for the people like myself who want all the new features of the custom ROM messaging app but without being overly themed. What you get is a clean stock look with the IOS type emojis (I hate those new green/black ones:rolleyes:) w/ the quick emoji button, option for quick reply / popup, and change vibrate pattern option. I didn't build this, I extracted it from an old version of xylon ROM a while back, so credit goes to them. To install, simply use the root file browser of your choice to place the MMS.apk into system/app folder and set permissions to rw/r/r (if your not sure, long press any other apk in system/app folder and look at what boxes are checked, then do the same... should look like a backward 7), then reboot. If you are on stock odexed ROM you have to rename the Mms.odex file to Mms.odex.bak. I'd suggest doing a backup first or at least rename your original MMS.apk to MMS.apk.back so you can easily go back if something is wrong, but it should work fine. I've tested it on stock odexed ROM, everything works great including MMS. enjoy:)

Update: I have included flashable zips for DEODEX only. First one is the same (stock look, iOS emojis, popup), the second one is the newer fully customizable MMS.apk. its black but can be themed any color you like and even has bubble options, the customization possibilities are endless:laugh::good: give it a shot. It was pulled from baked ROM so credit goes to them

Update (5-3): replaced stock look MMS.apk with a new one extracted from slim ROM (credit due to slim Dev team). Basically the same as before with stock look but includes some nice new features: adjustable font size, "breathing"SMS icon on status bar, larger MMS preview pic, pushing "read" from lock screen no longer unlocks phone, privacy mode, pick up to call from SMS (awesome:laugh:), easy select for multiple recipeints, and more I can't remember right now.

Update (8/9): Added mmsmod4.3.zip, basically its the original mmsmod rebased on the Mms.apk file in 4.3, extracted from PSX rom (Thanks to ragnarokx for putting this together and the devs of PSX rom for the source of the .apk:good:)

Stock look
    27bkk.jpg

2i102vk.jpg

Customizable mod
    o50so3.jpg

2148ntl.png
    Guys, being a little bored this Sunday, I decided to port custommmsmod to 4.4 KitKat. I have not changed anything with it, other than getting it to install and send/receive sms/mms on KitKat successfully. It is sending and receiving both sms and mms fine for me, without duplicating. The theming part will need to be tested yet. I am leaving this to others. Please report back here what success you have with this. Installation instructions are as follows: Rename/remove your current Mms.apk from system/priv-app, push this apk to system/priv-app, set permisssions for the apk, boot into recovery, fix permissions, wipe the dalvik cache, reboot to system, check to make sure that this messaging app, not Hangouts, is set as default in the main system settings menu, and re-add shortcut to your homepage if needed.

*Edit*, confirmed working myself- remove/add avatar, add/remove bubbles, add/remove contact names, change message panel color (choosing custom image does not work), change font size and color.
    If anyone's interested in an Android 4.3-based MMS.apk with extras, I've made a flashable zip.

Credit goes to OP for the script/zip itself, and the MMS.apk is from Pure Speed eXperiment ROM. Features include Breathing SMS, customizable Quick Reply, and Emoji support. The app has the stock green icon with stock Holo theming. Enjoy!
    OP updated with flashable zips:eek:
    OP updated with new mmsmod.zip & MMS.apk, its got some pretty nice new features while maintaining the stock look/feel. Enjoy:D