[APP] MW-PEN App Enabler - add more Pen Window Apps WITHOUT ROOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

xperiacle

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 12, 2012
Hi All NON-ROOTED Note 3 users:

If you are like me who's still hesitant to ROOT your phone for whatever reason, then this app will help to add more Pen Window apps without needing ROOT.

MW-PEN App Enabler is my attempt to automate the process of inserting the necessary meta-data to any apps' AndroidManifest.xml to be recognized as a pen/multi window app by Samsung's multiwindow framework right within your phone without needing a PC/laptop and having to learn to use apktool/apk manager/apk multi-tool, etc.

This app implements the manual tutorial I made a couple of months ago about how to enable apps for pen window without root. As most newbies are not quite comfortable using apktool to decompile/recompile apks, I made it a challenge to find a way to simplify the process right within the phone and this app is the result of lots of sleepless nights.

DOWNLOAD: See post attachments below...

The xda version below enables pen window apps (no limit) but the one on the Play Store enables both pen and multiwindow as well as multiple instances of the same app (dependent on whether app can support multiple instances).

HOW TO USE:

1. Pick apk file from sdcard (if you have a backup of the app) or pick from installed apps (system apps not possible).

2. Click Process... (the bigger the app, the longer it takes to process).

3. If target app is installed, the enabler app will prompt you to uninstall it first. (if you have important data, please make a backup first)

4. Finally, Install the processed app.

That's it. Easy peasy.

LIMITATIONS:

There is no way to enable system apps or apps that are already included in the rom like Youtube, Play Store, etc. Enabled apps can not be updated. To update, you need to uninstall the target app, install the updated version and then run it through the MW-Pen App Enabler app again. Not all apps are pen window or multiwindow friendly, so please don't enable every app you have. Some apps work, some don't.

attachment.php

Attachments

• MW-PenAppEnabler_v1.0_xda.apk
    539.1 KB · Views: 7,227
  • Screenshot_2014-02-13-14-49-07.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-13-14-49-07.png
    151 KB · Views: 3,308
  • Screenshot_2014-02-13-14-49-43.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-13-14-49-43.png
    187.9 KB · Views: 3,247
  • Screenshot_2014-02-13-14-50-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-13-14-50-11.png
    199.6 KB · Views: 27,045

Spere

Aug 7, 2013
Are paid apps system apps?

I bought this to make XDA Premium [HD] to work in multiwindow (since no support from developer, didn't even reply my email) but when I choose: Installed App --> XDA Premium [HD] --> error that MW-PEN App Enabled has stopped (Or how ever it's told in english)

Haven't go time to test for other apps.

Offtopic?
You have done good apps for penwindow / multiwindow and even air command.
Is it possible to make PEN Window Launcher like app for multiwindow bar. I really like penwindow launcher and would love if same way from shortcut at homescreen could enable multiwindow bar. I don't like to keep that ugly arrow thing on my screen so every time I in purpose want two apps to one screen, I have to keep back button held and it's just not good :p

I hope you got what I tried to tell you :)

lhaussmann

Nov 22, 2007
Very good thx, when multi Windows option will be available?

Enviado de meu SM-N9005 usando Tapatalk

xperiacle

Nov 12, 2012

I bought this to make XDA Premium [HD] to work in multiwindow (since no support from developer, didn't even reply my email) but when I choose: Installed App --> XDA Premium [HD] --> error that MW-PEN App Enabled has stopped (Or how ever it's told in english)

Offtopic?
Is it possible to make PEN Window Launcher like app for multiwindow bar. I really like penwindow launcher and would love if same way from shortcut at homescreen could enable multiwindow bar. I don't like to keep that ugly arrow thing on my screen so every time I in purpose want two apps to one screen, I have to keep back button held and it's just not good :p

I tried enabling XDA Premium HD app through the enabler app and it is working great so far. As the XDA Premium HD is several MBs it would take longer to process.

As regards to your question about the multiwindow bar, do you mean a shortcut to open and close the multiwindow bar without having to long press the back key? If that is what you mean then I will try to explore if it is possible. I did not think that someone would be interested in such functionality but I'll see what I can do.

Reactions: meekspace

lhaussmann

Nov 22, 2007
Just bought the app, now multi Windows work, I still can update the modified apps on play store normally?

Spere

Aug 7, 2013
Just bought the app, now multi Windows work, I still can update the modified apps on play store normally?

Read OP, you'll figure it out.

To OP: yes you got me right, I use Nova launcher and on my "apps" icon I got swipe function to open penwindow. I'd like to enable same way mw bar, swiping an icon (or straight icon push) to open multiwindow instead of holding down back button :)

Edit: Oh my god, I pay spotify 9.99€ a month and they'll not able to give me penwindow and multiwindow support. APK-Multi-Tool couldn't compile spotify apk so no use of it and you give me simply method to make it happen just for ~1.5€ on the fly straight from phone.

Thank you,! This is one of those "must have" apps, couldn't live without it anymore (as long as my phone is non-rooted, lol) :p

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:
Reactions: xperiacle

jbmag

Feb 6, 2014
It's working on my phone! Thank you very much it's awesome!!!

Envoyé de mon SM-N9005 en utilisant Tapatalk

staifan

Feb 4, 2011
Issue with apps

Hi,

I purchased this app on the play store and it works fine. Thank you for your work.
I was thinking about rooting my phone just to be able to have this work!

It mainly works on the apps I needed but I have one that crash following the uninstall/install. The app that crashes is 6play (French catch up TV).
Do you have any solution?

Thanks

xperiacle

Nov 12, 2012
Hi,

I purchased this app on the play store and it works fine. Thank you for your work.
I was thinking about rooting my phone just to be able to have this work!

It mainly works on the apps I needed but I have one that crash following the uninstall/install. The app that crashes is 6play (French catch up TV).
Do you have any solution?

Thanks

I tried it, next, the browser works, but viber goes fc,i have a stock rom mj7 version.

As I said in the app description, not all apps are multiwindow/penwindow friendly. It is due to how the app has been designed to work and there is nothing I can do to make all apps work unless the app developer himself will add the functionality to his app.

xperiacle

Nov 12, 2012

To OP: yes you got me right, I use Nova launcher and on my "apps" icon I got swipe function to open penwindow. I'd like to enable same way mw bar, swiping an icon (or straight icon push) to open multiwindow instead of holding down back button :)

Edit: Oh my god, I pay spotify 9.99€ a month and they'll not able to give me penwindow and multiwindow support. APK-Multi-Tool couldn't compile spotify apk so no use of it and you give me simply method to make it happen just for ~1.5€ on the fly straight from phone.

Thank you,! This is one of those "must have" apps, couldn't live without it anymore (as long as my phone is non-rooted, lol) :p

As you requested, below is the App to open/close the MultiWindow Tray without having to long-press the back button. Should also work on other samsung devices with multiwindow feature like Note N7000, etc. It is best used with some gesture apps. I am not sure if many will be interested in using it but feel free to open a thread for it or share it. I also included a Recent apps shortcut for those who may find it useful.

Attachments

• MW_Tray_Toggle.apk
    271 KB · Views: 168
  • RecentApps_Shortcut.apk
    270.8 KB · Views: 125

Spere

Aug 7, 2013
As you requested, below is the App to open/close the MultiWindow Tray without having to long-press the back button. Should also work on other samsung devices with multiwindow feature like Note N7000, etc. It is best used with some gesture apps. I am not sure if many will be interested in using it but feel free to open a thread for it or share it. I also included a Recent apps shortcut for those who may find it useful.

Thank you a million times!!
These are just what my phone needed, can't really thank you enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All NON-ROOTED Note 3 users:

If you are like me who's still hesitant to ROOT your phone for whatever reason, then this app will help to add more Pen Window apps without needing ROOT.

MW-PEN App Enabler is my attempt to automate the process of inserting the necessary meta-data to any apps' AndroidManifest.xml to be recognized as a pen/multi window app by Samsung's multiwindow framework right within your phone without needing a PC/laptop and having to learn to use apktool/apk manager/apk multi-tool, etc.

This app implements the manual tutorial I made a couple of months ago about how to enable apps for pen window without root. As most newbies are not quite comfortable using apktool to decompile/recompile apks, I made it a challenge to find a way to simplify the process right within the phone and this app is the result of lots of sleepless nights.

DOWNLOAD: See post attachments below...

The xda version below enables pen window apps (no limit) but the one on the Play Store enables both pen and multiwindow as well as multiple instances of the same app (dependent on whether app can support multiple instances).

HOW TO USE:

1. Pick apk file from sdcard (if you have a backup of the app) or pick from installed apps (system apps not possible).

2. Click Process... (the bigger the app, the longer it takes to process).

3. If target app is installed, the enabler app will prompt you to uninstall it first. (if you have important data, please make a backup first)

4. Finally, Install the processed app.

That's it. Easy peasy.

LIMITATIONS:

There is no way to enable system apps or apps that are already included in the rom like Youtube, Play Store, etc. Enabled apps can not be updated. To update, you need to uninstall the target app, install the updated version and then run it through the MW-Pen App Enabler app again. Not all apps are pen window or multiwindow friendly, so please don't enable every app you have. Some apps work, some don't.

attachment.php

Offtopic?

I tried enabling XDA Premium HD app through the enabler app and it is working great so far. As the XDA Premium HD is several MBs it would take longer to process.

As regards to your question about the multiwindow bar, do you mean a shortcut to open and close the multiwindow bar without having to long press the back key? If that is what you mean then I will try to explore if it is possible. I did not think that someone would be interested in such functionality but I'll see what I can do.

Welcome back my friend. Great tool, it's almost a pity that I have root :eek: