Bloat Manager

Search This thread

Nalthos

Jan 19, 2011
I recently bought a Droid 2 Global and decided to get my feet wet with android development. To familiarize myself with the platform I wrote a simple utility for managing the bloat that came pre-installed on my phone. I thought there might be other people who would get some use out of this so I am posting it here. You will need to be rooted and have busybox installed to use this application. If you used z4root to root your phone then you should have everything you need.

The application is pretty simple. When you start it you are presented with a list of the Bloat that the application recognizes. Each item in the list has a checkbox that indicates whether it is enabled or not. To disable bloat you just uncheck the boxes next to what you don't want and then press the Apply button that appears at the bottom of the screen. You can save what you have disabled as a profile by pressing the options button and then choosing Save Profile. This is convenient because you are going to need to turn all of this bloat back on if you want to receive updates. If you have saved a profile and a new update becomes available you can launch Bloat Manager, press the options button, choose Enable All and then click Apply to get your phone ready for the update. After the update installs you can launch Bloat Manager, press the options button, choose Load Profile and then click Apply to turn the bloat back off.

The following applications can be toggled on or off using Bloat Manager:

Amazon MP3 /system/app/amazonmp3_1_8_14_signed_zipaligned_Signed_2010-09-09_15-23-51.apk
Blockbuster /system/app/Blockbuster.apk
City ID /system/app/CityID.apk
Friend Feed /system/app/FriendFeed.apk
Kindle /system/app/Kindle-1_0_2-OEM-SingleSign_Signed_2010-09-20_17-31-57.apk
My Net /system/app/Mynet.apk
My Verizon /system/app/MyVerizon.apk
News Widget /system/app/NewsWidget.apk
Performance Manager /system/app/PerformanceManager.apk
Skype /system/app/Skype_mobile.live.apk
Social Messaging /system/app/SocialMessaging.apk
Social Share /system/app/SocialShare.apk
VZNavigator /system/app/vnav_6.1.0.160_Droid2Global_rel_PROD_signed.apk
Visual Voice Mail /system/app/Vvm.apk
Weather Widget /system/app/WeatherWidget.apk
World Clock Widget /system/app/WorldClockWidget.apk

When you disable an application using Bloat Manager it simply renames it to .bak. When you re-enable an application it is renamed back to .apk.

Bloat Manager remounts your /system partition as writable in order to make changes to applications. I came up with this list based on what other people have had success with removing, but I have not personally turned off everything on the list. Changing things in your system partition is always dangerous so please be careful.

Reactions: Tse-KO

Backdraft11

Aug 21, 2010
So this only renames the app filenames? Is the app still affecting the phone in any way (ie. sucking battery life) once it is renamed, or is it completely "disconnected" from the phone until you rename it back to .apk for updates/etc.?

Thanks I will try this out soon.

Nalthos

Jan 19, 2011
Correct, this simply renames the apps so that they are no longer recognized as launchable applications. The applications will not be able to run anymore after they are renamed so they will not affect your battery life directly. I have heard that the operating system will continually try and restart some apps if they get renamed, but based on what people are saying in the bloatware removal script thread on droidforums where I got this list of applications none of these should have that problem.

Let me know how it goes.

Reactions: total.destroyer

Nalthos

Jan 19, 2011
Are there any specific applications you would like to see added? I designed it so that the list can be extended but I haven't implemented an easy way to add things yet. If you know your way around a SQLite database you can add new items to the Bloat table to put them in the list. I plan on adding an import feature that lets you add a group of applications from a file in the near future.

rusty815

Nov 28, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Well some programs I can do without are files, car dock, backup assistant, the social networking widget, and news and weather, if you can find a way to ad the .bak extention to them without it hurting the system, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using XDA App

jan1jan1

Sep 8, 2008
General Android bloatware app would be a major win!
The way you implement (renaming to .bak) is brilliant in it's simplicity, well done. I'm curious how it compares to the 'freeze' function of Titanium backup. Anyone?

pinpin890

Jul 28, 2010
i am just wondering but would this work on other phones like the HTC Droid ERIS or any other devices???:confused:

moorb

May 27, 2007
same quest

...any chance you might add more programs to the list?

...are these Bloats removeable too?
-Stocks
-Amazon
-Soundhound
-Setup
-facebook
-htc hub, likes etc.
-latitude
-anything from google (maps locations, navigation etc., etc.)
-peep, twitter etc. any social network sh..
-speech saerch
-talk
-connected media

Nalthos

Jan 19, 2011
I plan on making the next version a lot more flexible in terms of which phones it will be useful for. If you guys can get me a list of which apps can safely be removed from your phones I can add them to the next version.

Technically this version should run on other phones so long as they are rooted and have busybox installed in /system/bin. If your phone has some of the same bloat that comes on a Droid 2 Global you may be able to use this to remove it. Any applications that the program cannot find when it starts will have a ! on the front of their names in the list. Bloat Manager won't be able to turn those off.

jfriend33

Oct 7, 2010
Illinois
I installed this and chose disable all, and clicked apply. The applications can still be opened. Skype still shows that it is running even after I force stop it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I recently bought a Droid 2 Global and decided to get my feet wet with android development. To familiarize myself with the platform I wrote a simple utility for managing the bloat that came pre-installed on my phone. I thought there might be other people who would get some use out of this so I am posting it here. You will need to be rooted and have busybox installed to use this application. If you used z4root to root your phone then you should have everything you need.

The application is pretty simple. When you start it you are presented with a list of the Bloat that the application recognizes. Each item in the list has a checkbox that indicates whether it is enabled or not. To disable bloat you just uncheck the boxes next to what you don't want and then press the Apply button that appears at the bottom of the screen. You can save what you have disabled as a profile by pressing the options button and then choosing Save Profile. This is convenient because you are going to need to turn all of this bloat back on if you want to receive updates. If you have saved a profile and a new update becomes available you can launch Bloat Manager, press the options button, choose Enable All and then click Apply to get your phone ready for the update. After the update installs you can launch Bloat Manager, press the options button, choose Load Profile and then click Apply to turn the bloat back off.

The following applications can be toggled on or off using Bloat Manager:

Amazon MP3 /system/app/amazonmp3_1_8_14_signed_zipaligned_Signed_2010-09-09_15-23-51.apk
    Blockbuster /system/app/Blockbuster.apk
    City ID /system/app/CityID.apk
    Friend Feed /system/app/FriendFeed.apk
    Kindle /system/app/Kindle-1_0_2-OEM-SingleSign_Signed_2010-09-20_17-31-57.apk
    My Net /system/app/Mynet.apk
    My Verizon /system/app/MyVerizon.apk
    News Widget /system/app/NewsWidget.apk
    Performance Manager /system/app/PerformanceManager.apk
    Skype /system/app/Skype_mobile.live.apk
    Social Messaging /system/app/SocialMessaging.apk
    Social Share /system/app/SocialShare.apk
    VZNavigator /system/app/vnav_6.1.0.160_Droid2Global_rel_PROD_signed.apk
    Visual Voice Mail /system/app/Vvm.apk
    Weather Widget /system/app/WeatherWidget.apk
    World Clock Widget /system/app/WorldClockWidget.apk

When you disable an application using Bloat Manager it simply renames it to .bak. When you re-enable an application it is renamed back to .apk.

Bloat Manager remounts your /system partition as writable in order to make changes to applications. I came up with this list based on what other people have had success with removing, but I have not personally turned off everything on the list. Changing things in your system partition is always dangerous so please be careful.
    Correct, this simply renames the apps so that they are no longer recognized as launchable applications. The applications will not be able to run anymore after they are renamed so they will not affect your battery life directly. I have heard that the operating system will continually try and restart some apps if they get renamed, but based on what people are saying in the bloatware removal script thread on droidforums where I got this list of applications none of these should have that problem.

Let me know how it goes.