[ROM] Acer_A500 OTA 7.014.14 [HC 3.2.1] Rooted w/ Busybox for CWM [Jan 6th, 2012] EOL

Search This thread

ezterry

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
ROM: (HonnyComb)
Here is an ACER 3.2.1 near stock android image installable via clockwork recovery.
(Tested on a Wifi only acer a500)

[size=+2]acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv4_S.zip[/size]
(MD5: cfd6ecee33891cc8e6e2625e8ea89511)

Note: April 30, 2012: The stock kernel will work both on HoneyComb and unlocked (v3) ICS bootloaders
Note: May 18, 2012: The update, no wipe required, to this ICS rom is now posted here this thread will remain for anyone remaining on HC

Simply install via clockwork or RA recovery; if you have a rooted and mostly unmodified version of HC 3.1/3.2 currently it may be possible to use this install without a wipe (4.010.41 users are likely to have the best results); However make sure you backup first just in case.

Users of the previous (acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2) version may safely upgrade without a wipe however the following is recommended: 1) wipe dalvik cache in the advance menu of CWM recovery, 2) you may need to the apps menu to get the new market icon (my previous homescreen shortcut was no longer valid but the one in the app list worked without a problem, as making a new shortcut)

Last if you notice slowdowns or forcequits withing 24/48h of upgrading before reporting them try going into recovery and running both "fix permissions" and "clear dalvik cache" then boot the tablet waiting for the logon screen to appear and the screen to dim and turn off before using the tablet. At this point you van use the tablet normally.

This file is based off the OTA update: Acer_A500_4.010.41_7.006.01_COM_GEN1_1315966386585_07733ac7.zip subequently updated to 7.014.14_COM_GEN1 by manually extracted these images
(As was sent via OTA here in canada)

Modification Log:
I've made the following changes to the original OTA files:
  • decrypted and configured for installation from clockwork recovery
  • remove the bootloader flash (Separate analysis will be required to tell if this is safe) If so it is still not useful in a rooted Clockwork rom install, since in future it may become a downgrade not an update.
  • remove recovery flasher
  • remove both OTA cert and original ca_certs in favor of the cacert by guardianproject
  • Add a version of busybox (built in my HTC Dream rom ezGingerbread build tree using target utility_busybox from the commit https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_external_busybox/tree/995d0d35bde285)
  • make busybox the default shell
  • Include Superuser/su
  • configure runparts (runs scripts in /system/etc/init.d) only a "Welcome" script is included however if you wish to run any script on startup you can do so by adding them to your /system/etc/init.d directory)
  • Note this rom is still odexed
  • (v2) fix she-bang on am, bmgr, ime, input, monkey, pm, svc shell scripts
  • (v3) incorporate "Skype Fix" into rom, thus no need to flash a second file to fix skype video calls (obviously you still need to install skype from market)
  • (v3) incorporate "wifi fix" for infinate DHCP leases, unfortinatly this was still not working in the base rom, however the fix is now part of this install.
  • (v3) uninstall Future Dial (acer updater) this prevents the system update from appearing in the menu/background, as it won't work anyway with the modificaitons
  • (v3) rebased to Acer A500 7.014.14_COM_GEN1 (previously 7.006.01_COM_GEN1)
  • (v3) SuperUser updated to v3.0.7
  • (v3) Set wifi only by default (if you need otherwise you will need to comment out the last line of the build.prop file, information in the comment above said line)
  • (v4) Remove extra market related files (merge errors from the acer patches); this ensures the new version of market runs properly (thanks to civato for pointing this out)

* entries starting with (vN) - indicates fixed/added in version N, ie (v2) indicates fixed in version 2 and on

Additional Information:

This is a very simple set of changes that ought to allow rooted users looking for a basic version of Honeycomb 3.2 (and now 3.2.1) safely update without loosing root. Its intended for users that wish a minimally modified rom with root. Either to be used as a rooted stock rom as is; or to be a base to make other small modifications as needed.

As such I'm more likely to provide addons than changing the base rom its self. (excluding any bugs of my creation or new official releases form ACER)

Note the kernel is the stock kernel from acer. Acer's A500 kernel source code can be found at here

FYI: You may use this as a base for other roms as long as credit is given with a link back to this thread where reasonable.

Last edited:

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Add Ons

~~-- Stock Kernel Modules --~~

Here are some kernel modules for the stock acer kernel
(Tested both on acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_S, and acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv3/acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv4)

tun.ko
md5: bf93f2538c875f0f397f43f225bd595b
cifs.ko
md5: 86b936fb269daa1f688f3f8535c36c23

Since I'm having problems with a corrupt tar.gz file with the latest posted [by acer0] a500 kernel code; these have been built from the a501 version with a a500 config. (the "Application Guide (for Android 3.2 HoneyComb" posted on 9/19) Hopefully this will not be an issue but let me know if you have any issues with the modules (I've checked they load but not that they are fully functional)

~~-- Villain Iconia Kernel --~~

(Tested both on acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_S, and acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv3/acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv4)

Here is a re-bundle of the Villain Iconia kernel (original zImage form richardtrip) The installer however has been modified since we now need a new ramdisk image than the one previously bundled with the kernel.

V3.7
acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BB_Villain_iconia_kernel_3.7_S.zip
md5: 57908bd9d8fda3902cc24ebb23de9e6c

Previous verison:
acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BB_Villain_iconia_kernel_3.4_S.zip (md5: 8c6c0783a961d65d465a3f3dccffbfb3)

For more information including source code see Villain_iconia_kernel_3.4.zip from Stock/HV/Taboonay V3.4 for HC 3.2 10-09 - 1.64Ghz/UV control

(This will let you overclock and access some more modules, but I've found the stock kernel overall more stable)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Size=+1] The following is only for the previous acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_S version:[/Size]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~-- Wifi Dropouts Patch --~~

If you are having issues with your wifi connections it is recommended to check your router doesn’t have indefinite DHCP leases
However if you can't prevent the indefinite lease a patch for such dhcp connectivity problems is available:

wifipatch_7.006.01v2_S.zip
MD5: 39c0a1cdd755458eb6edd6aa786e4f5f

Additional details here
(Note this have been built in on V3 and thus is no longer needed)

~~-- Skype(tm) Patch --~~

Fixes video calls on market skype client

skypepatch_7.006.01v2_S.zip
MD5: 99cadf8c5b8eca25aa60b38aa83ec91a

Flash from recovery; and install skype form market as usual (or open it if already installed) video options will appear in settings.
Details of the problem/solution and the patch are in this post

(Note this has been built in on V3 and thus is no longer needed on that version)

~~-- Netflix --~~

Install from market:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient&feature=search_result

If you previously installed a modified version such as the one modified to play on the a500 without breaking video you will need to uninstall the modified version prior to installing the market version.

~~-- Cell Standby fix/option --~~

If you are seeing Cell standby in your battery use simply add ro.carrier=wifi-only to your build.prop

Via adb:
Code:
adb remount
adb shell
echo 'ro.carrier=wifi-only' >> /system/build.prop
sync
reboot

Via terminal/local connectbot
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
sync
reboot

(Note this has been built in on V3 and thus is no longer needed on that version)

~~-- SuperUser 3.0 update --~~

We need to flash the rom manager update, but as rom manager is not yet working on this tab get the update zip and flash in recovery:
su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip
Md5: c05902fdf90f7635c711e4dcd1c32c45

~~-- Previous Versions --~~

[size=+1]v1: acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv1_S.zip[/size]
(MD5: df11f6a309f34ac4c0209aded4ca3f20)

This version had an error in the she-bang of the included scripts such as pm, v2 corrected this to the expected '#!/system/bin/sh'

To save bandwidth I'm not providing the original file; however you can re-generate it with the following binary diff:

On a linux computer with the bsdiff package installed run:
Code:
bspatch acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_S.zip acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv1_S.zip acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_to_v1.bsdiff
Using the v2 version and acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_to_v1.bsdiff

[size=+1]v2: acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_S.zip[/size]
MD5: b254140896742f3deec464c094fb2515

Longtime running version very stable, however some users have had some minor issues correctable by the above patches.

[size=+1]v3: acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv3_S.zip
[/size]
MD5: c734317089d323dffde9c7d4fe7afce4

Inital upgrade to 7.014.14 had some issues with extra market related files, if you are running this version it is recommended to upgrade to V4 or (if you wish to avoid the download and the cost to me of the bandwidth) follow the instructions here to manually make the same change yourself.

Last edited:

ruffjd

Sep 5, 2010
Does Netflix work or do you still have to use a patch

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Does Netflix work or do you still have to use a patch

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App

I still needed the patch (you will need to apply it by hand)
I hear rumor's [but have not spotted it first hand] of some library that works with both camera and the library.. if I find that one I'd be happy to make a flash-able patch.

Also looking at the Stock/HV/Taboonay kernels, since he is not extracting the ramdisk from the existing boot.img it looks like they will not be 100% compatible with this rom out of the box. (will make something up shortly)

10/2: see note one netflix

Last edited:

techfan2011

Jul 21, 2011
Thanks, Working Great

I flashed from 4.010.13 without a full wipe without any issues. I cleared cache, wiped dalvik cache, and flashed. Thanks for your work. This ROM will be very useful for those of us that want to retain root and take advantage of the stability that the stock ROM brings.

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Small bug with shell scripts such as pm, This can cause problems with rooted applications expecting them or adb commands, to fix just grab the updated version at the top of the op acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_S.zip

If you already updated you can safely flash this new version over your current one; however if you subsequently changed items in /system (such as the netflix hack) you will need to make the change again after the upgrade.

Apologies for missing this in my initial testing last night. (my fault for working on this practically while sleeping..)

superbar

Dec 2, 2009
why is it that when scrolling apps or scrolling of the home screen became sluggish after installing 3.2?

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
why is it that when scrolling apps or scrolling of the home screen became sluggish after installing 3.2?

If you had a non stock rom ported from another device it could be just incompatible data and a wipe is needed.

If it was a stock rom it could be a data issue try wiping dalvik cache and running fix permissions in recovery.

It could also be something ypu have installed. (Widgets in particular)

I see no slowdown really I don't see much difference from a user perspective from 3.1.

This is a a500 stock rom with root modifications..If it works on a a501 great.. but if not I can't support it.. its another device.. Likely 3g will fail.

If works or you have a patch for me to make it work feel free to let me know however.

Last edited:

UnicornKaz

May 5, 2007
Southern Ontario
I wondered how you got the OTA when you have A500_4.010.41 originally ??

I thought North America the latest HC3.1 was version A500_4.010.13_COM_GEN2 ??

anyway...

I am on A500_4.010.13_COM_GEN2 rooted with CWM... should I go ahead and flash this ??

I understand that it will keep root... and since I will have root... I guess I can use "Acer Recovery Installer" to re-install CWM ??

and freaking Acer !!!... we were on GEN_1 originally awhile back (HC3.0.1)... then went on to GEN_2 (HC3.1)... now with HC3.2 they are back with GEN_1 ??... freaking confusing idiots !!

and the A501 is keeping this format (4.015.01)...similar to HC3.1 format !

while us A500 is going to this format (7.006.01) :mad::mad: :confused:

Side note:
If we are seeing custom roms for HC3.2 keeping root..etc... why can't dev managed to root stock 3.2 ??

and is the CWM recovery working for 3.2 ??

Last edited:

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
I wondered how you got the OTA when you have A500_4.010.41 originally ??

I thought North America the latest HC3.1 was version A500_4.010.13_COM_GEN2 ??
No clue was what the device auto updated to what I had, then I rooted (+ intercepted the OTA last night).. I don't know the regions ACER is using.. butthe tab was purchaced at a local staples.

I understand that it will keep root... and since I will have root... I guess I can use "Acer Recovery Installer" to re-install CWM ??
The update I've provided won't touchrecovery, so you keep your current recovery and thus can restore your backup even if you mess up the rom.

You also will have root so you can re-flash reocvery if something goes wrong. But likely won't need to.

Last I'm not touching the bootloader so that will also remain as is.

Side note:
If we are seeing custom roms for HC3.2 keeping root..etc... why can't dev managed to root stock 3.2 ??

and is the CWM recovery working for 3.2 ??
Keeping root is diffrent from rooting the new system:
To keep root I pull the update zip from the system without letting it install, then I decrypt it (since acer encodes it) unzip it, then manually add/remove files to the update zip before installing via clockwork.

This way I don't need root to install superuser/su on a locked down system, but just install it via clockwork with the correct permissions.

Also recovery is seperate from the andoid system (seperate linuxkernel/ram disk from the main boot kernel/ramdisk) We need not touch it when installing a rom (even if most stock roms by default like to reflash recovery.)

Last edited:
Reactions: UnicornKaz

civato

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2011
I flashed my Packard bell libertytab with this rom and everything is just fine.
CWM and root.
Thanks.
Edit: I got the Thor 3.4 kernel running on it and it is fast.
24/7 at 1544MHz and even 1680 is no problem with it.
Max cfbench overall score is 9175.

Last edited:

v_lestat

Jul 11, 2010
my only problem is that the OP doesnt sound too sure of himself if this rom is even any good
thats just the feeling i got after reading his first post
it almost sounds like you dont have an iconia to test this on.

i do hope i am wrong. i guess i have not seen anyone post a rom and use the words in the manor you have. it just made me feel uneasy about if the rom even works.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
my only problem is that the OP doesnt sound too sure of himself if this rom is even any good
thats just the feeling i got after reading his first post
it almost sounds like you dont have an iconia to test this on.

i do hope i am wrong. i guess i have not seen anyone post a rom and use the words in the manor you have. it just made me feel uneasy about if the rom even works.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

I have an icona.. and its running the rom.
But the OTA hasn't even been out 24h (rooted or otherwise) so I've not had the time to really put the rom into its paces (nor has anyone else not working at ACER)

The other thing is my position on this rom; That is unless there is (a) a bug in the modifications I did make to provide root and some tools for end users to add their own tweaks; or (b) another official release provided by acer: I do not want to be updating the base rom; it ought to remain nearly as close to the stock OTA as possible (and any exception to this is already defined in my modification list)

Now if you have a interesting addition.. Or I come up with an interesting hack I'm happy to provide/advertise it as an "Add on" that the user may optionally flash on top of the rom to obtain the additional functionality.

(Of course I much rather work on roms with accessible source code.. unfortunately we will not be able to make such a thing until Google releases the source for Ice Cream Sandwich)

Last edited:

rbtconsultants

Oct 6, 2010
Rom appears to work fine fine. Cleared cache and dalvik cache and flashed to my Iconia with CWM from stock 3.1 and voila - 3.2

Flashed the modified HoneyVillain Kernel in post 2 and overclocked to 1504. Everything working fine so far. Netflix working with patch (rear videocam FC as usual).

I'm hoping for better battery life than Taboonay. Maybe it was just me, but I had awful battery life with Taboonay compared to stock.

Bob

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

I should mention after flashing that kernel I put ro.carrier=wifi-only into /system/build.prop to remove cell standby from battery use.

Also, since I didn't do full wipe, this truly came out as an upgrade, since everything on my tablet stayed the sam ein terms of apps and configuration

superbar

Dec 2, 2009
Scrolling thu home screen is smooth now but scrolling thru apps still lags, not as smooth as 3.1, I wipe my dalvik cache and clean wipe, should I wipe my partition?

HarshReality

Apr 1, 2010
Kokomo
As I just got the update notice today (US) for 3.2 I suppose the only question I would have is... can you tell me exactly how you did this so I can do it and only have su installed. Dont misunderstand as I appreciate the dev aspect of things but I have yet to see a stock rooted ROM or direction on how to that anybody hasnt 'tweaked'.

suomaf

He already explained a few posts before. He took the update, dismantled it and took out the bit that will upgrade your recovery and wipe out the root. Repackaged it and viola! instant magic!

As I just got the update notice today (US) for 3.2 I suppose the only question I would have is... can you tell me exactly how you did this so I can do it and only have su installed. Dont misunderstand as I appreciate the dev aspect of things but I have yet to see a stock rooted ROM or direction on how to that anybody hasnt 'tweaked'.

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC

Most of the "tweaks" in here are you find not as optional as you may think.. Particularly for a distributed product.

However I've not modified any binary files; this means all the changes are either text files or removal/addition of binary blobs thus to see what I've done:

You need the official OTA image and to decrypt it/unzip it information is here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1113878
(As well on two 3.2 update related threads happening in the a500 dev section)

Once you have unziped the zipfile and update.zip will be visible and is the base of the update.zip for this install.

In that file is system files, recovery flasher files a boot.img (this contains the ramdisk where I have modifications so adb shell works as root look into extracting the ramdisk with cpio) and scripts to help in the installation of the rom.. the updater-script (a few dirs under META-INI) is the script recovery runs.

From here you can compare the files in the official archive with mine, or ignore mine and modify the install to your own liking.

For best results knowing the structure of the files in system and how linux/android boots is important. Otherwise this is a hands on exercise, there is only so much advice I can give,thus looking at the original and seeing what I touched will likely provide insight particularly if your are stuck.

In the case of su/superuser I just pulled from the official zip on rom manager provided by ChainsDD (links at https://github.com/ChainsDD/Superuser/blob/gh-pages/manifest.js ) and placed them into system making sure to add the suid perm on su in the updater-script. This however will not allow adb shell as root or prevent clockwork recovery from being over written.

There is a bit of a learning curve.. even if to me this type of hack is trivial and I only bothered doing it so I could have the 3.2 OTA without loosing root, and without what I think are silly tweaks some other devs add.

He already explained a few posts before. He took the update, dismantled it and took out the bit that will upgrade your recovery and wipe out the root. Repackaged it and viola! instant magic!

Not very technical.. but once you decide to use the rom yes is about how its supposed to act.. And how I hope most of those that have downloaded the image think of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JdgM3NT4L

ZeroAlphawolf

Jul 6, 2011
Vancouver
When i flash this, and reboot, i hang on the Acer bootup logo. No changes. I can go back into recovery and restore, but i can seem to get this to flash properly. I'd like to have a nice clean minimal 3.2.

I even wiped and did a clean instal, one note it did say

Offset:0x180

Before it said installation complete, it also 'installed' the file far to quickly in my opinion.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROM: (HonnyComb)
    Here is an ACER 3.2.1 near stock android image installable via clockwork recovery.
    (Tested on a Wifi only acer a500)

[size=+2]acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv4_S.zip[/size]
    (MD5: cfd6ecee33891cc8e6e2625e8ea89511)

Note: April 30, 2012: The stock kernel will work both on HoneyComb and unlocked (v3) ICS bootloaders
    Note: May 18, 2012: The update, no wipe required, to this ICS rom is now posted here this thread will remain for anyone remaining on HC

Simply install via clockwork or RA recovery; if you have a rooted and mostly unmodified version of HC 3.1/3.2 currently it may be possible to use this install without a wipe (4.010.41 users are likely to have the best results); However make sure you backup first just in case.

Users of the previous (acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2) version may safely upgrade without a wipe however the following is recommended: 1) wipe dalvik cache in the advance menu of CWM recovery, 2) you may need to the apps menu to get the new market icon (my previous homescreen shortcut was no longer valid but the one in the app list worked without a problem, as making a new shortcut)

Last if you notice slowdowns or forcequits withing 24/48h of upgrading before reporting them try going into recovery and running both "fix permissions" and "clear dalvik cache" then boot the tablet waiting for the logon screen to appear and the screen to dim and turn off before using the tablet. At this point you van use the tablet normally.

This file is based off the OTA update: Acer_A500_4.010.41_7.006.01_COM_GEN1_1315966386585_07733ac7.zip subequently updated to 7.014.14_COM_GEN1 by manually extracted these images

Modification Log:
    I've made the following changes to the original OTA files:
    • decrypted and configured for installation from clockwork recovery
    • remove the bootloader flash (Separate analysis will be required to tell if this is safe) If so it is still not useful in a rooted Clockwork rom install, since in future it may become a downgrade not an update.
    • remove recovery flasher
    • remove both OTA cert and original ca_certs in favor of the cacert by guardianproject
    • Add a version of busybox (built in my HTC Dream rom ezGingerbread build tree using target utility_busybox from the commit https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_external_busybox/tree/995d0d35bde285)
    • make busybox the default shell
    • Include Superuser/su
    • configure runparts (runs scripts in /system/etc/init.d) only a "Welcome" script is included however if you wish to run any script on startup you can do so by adding them to your /system/etc/init.d directory)
    • Note this rom is still odexed
    • (v2) fix she-bang on am, bmgr, ime, input, monkey, pm, svc shell scripts
    • (v3) incorporate "Skype Fix" into rom, thus no need to flash a second file to fix skype video calls (obviously you still need to install skype from market)
    • (v3) incorporate "wifi fix" for infinate DHCP leases, unfortinatly this was still not working in the base rom, however the fix is now part of this install.
    • (v3) uninstall Future Dial (acer updater) this prevents the system update from appearing in the menu/background, as it won't work anyway with the modificaitons
    • (v3) Set wifi only by default (if you need otherwise you will need to comment out the last line of the build.prop file, information in the comment above said line)
    • (v4) Remove extra market related files (merge errors from the acer patches); this ensures the new version of market runs properly (thanks to civato for pointing this out)

* entries starting with (vN) - indicates fixed/added in version N, ie (v2) indicates fixed in version 2 and on

Additional Information:

This is a very simple set of changes that ought to allow rooted users looking for a basic version of Honeycomb 3.2 (and now 3.2.1) safely update without loosing root. Its intended for users that wish a minimally modified rom with root. Either to be used as a rooted stock rom as is; or to be a base to make other small modifications as needed.

As such I'm more likely to provide addons than changing the base rom its self. (excluding any bugs of my creation or new official releases form ACER)

Note the kernel is the stock kernel from acer. Acer's A500 kernel source code can be found at here

FYI: You may use this as a base for other roms as long as credit is given with a link back to this thread where reasonable.
    Netflix

Notice: the current market version of Netflix works on the a500 without modification
    As such there is no longer a need to install the below modified application, If you already have it installed please ensure you uninstall it prior to installing the market version.

(Anyeay the market version fixes some aspect ratio bugs)

------------

So I've been noting two hacks for netflix;

1) replace libnvomx.so with the one from an asus device; but this breaks the rear camera.
    2) update build.prop to force netflix to think we have a different device

But I was finding it hard to find some additional details (at least when I had time to poke at it) until this post came before me:
    This worked for me with rooted 3.2

Originally Posted by originalone

with version 1.4, you can actually get around the library patch, and just change the build.prop adding these lines to the bottom of the file.

ro.product.model=GT-P7510 ro.product.manufacturer=samsung

and it works great. no camera issue at all.

So using apktool I decompiled it, then edited:
    smali/com/netflix/mediaclient/media/PlayerTypeFactory.smali
    replacing all instances of "GT-P7510" to "A500", and from "samsung" to "Acer"
    used apktool to rebuild and jarsigner to re-sign:

[size=+1]Netflix+v1.4.1.apk - A500 hack[/size]
    md5: 8c5ad0b709c93e2ddef39daba366e663

* If you already have Netflix installed; uninstall it; and restore either the unmodified build.prop or original libnvomx.so. (This new apk is intended for the base rom)

* Then install this new apk (either with a file manager and allow applications form non-market sources) or with 'adb install "Netflix+v1.4.1.apk" ' from your computer.

* After this both netflix and video recording ought to work.

(Note you must still have a netflix subscription for this to work)
    Add Ons

~~-- Stock Kernel Modules --~~

Here are some kernel modules for the stock acer kernel

tun.ko
    md5: bf93f2538c875f0f397f43f225bd595b
    cifs.ko
    md5: 86b936fb269daa1f688f3f8535c36c23

Since I'm having problems with a corrupt tar.gz file with the latest posted [by acer0] a500 kernel code; these have been built from the a501 version with a a500 config. (the "Application Guide (for Android 3.2 HoneyComb" posted on 9/19) Hopefully this will not be an issue but let me know if you have any issues with the modules (I've checked they load but not that they are fully functional)

~~-- Villain Iconia Kernel --~~

Here is a re-bundle of the Villain Iconia kernel (original zImage form richardtrip) The installer however has been modified since we now need a new ramdisk image than the one previously bundled with the kernel.

V3.7
    acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BB_Villain_iconia_kernel_3.7_S.zip
    md5: 57908bd9d8fda3902cc24ebb23de9e6c

Previous verison:
    acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BB_Villain_iconia_kernel_3.4_S.zip (md5: 8c6c0783a961d65d465a3f3dccffbfb3)

For more information including source code see Villain_iconia_kernel_3.4.zip from Stock/HV/Taboonay V3.4 for HC 3.2 10-09 - 1.64Ghz/UV control

(This will let you overclock and access some more modules, but I've found the stock kernel overall more stable)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Size=+1] The following is only for the previous acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_S version:[/Size]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~~-- Wifi Dropouts Patch --~~

If you are having issues with your wifi connections it is recommended to check your router doesn’t have indefinite DHCP leases
    However if you can't prevent the indefinite lease a patch for such dhcp connectivity problems is available:

wifipatch_7.006.01v2_S.zip
    MD5: 39c0a1cdd755458eb6edd6aa786e4f5f

Additional details here
    (Note this have been built in on V3 and thus is no longer needed)

Flash from recovery; and install skype form market as usual (or open it if already installed) video options will appear in settings.
    Details of the problem/solution and the patch are in this post

~~-- Netflix --~~

Install from market:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient&feature=search_result

If you previously installed a modified version such as the one modified to play on the a500 without breaking video you will need to uninstall the modified version prior to installing the market version.

~~-- Cell Standby fix/option --~~

If you are seeing Cell standby in your battery use simply add ro.carrier=wifi-only to your build.prop

Via adb:
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb shell
    sync
    reboot

Via terminal/local connectbot
    Code:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    sync
    reboot

~~-- SuperUser 3.0 update --~~

We need to flash the rom manager update, but as rom manager is not yet working on this tab get the update zip and flash in recovery:
    su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip
    Md5: c05902fdf90f7635c711e4dcd1c32c45

~~-- Previous Versions --~~

[size=+1]v1: acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv1_S.zip[/size]
    (MD5: df11f6a309f34ac4c0209aded4ca3f20)

This version had an error in the she-bang of the included scripts such as pm, v2 corrected this to the expected '#!/system/bin/sh'

To save bandwidth I'm not providing the original file; however you can re-generate it with the following binary diff:

On a linux computer with the bsdiff package installed run:
    Code:
    bspatch acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_S.zip acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv1_S.zip acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_to_v1.bsdiff
    Using the v2 version and acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_to_v1.bsdiff

[size=+1]v2: acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_S.zip[/size]
    MD5: b254140896742f3deec464c094fb2515

Longtime running version very stable, however some users have had some minor issues correctable by the above patches.

[size=+1]v3: acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv3_S.zip
    [/size]
    MD5: c734317089d323dffde9c7d4fe7afce4

Inital upgrade to 7.014.14 had some issues with extra market related files, if you are running this version it is recommended to upgrade to V4 or (if you wish to avoid the download and the cost to me of the bandwidth) follow the instructions here to manually make the same change yourself.
    The new Acer Update

Acer release 3.2.1 and thus I'm also providing an updated version of this rom;

This rolls the patches for the new firmware version; as well as some other changes to make installing easier for users of this rom:

[size=+2]acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv3_S.zip[/size]
    (MD5: c734317089d323dffde9c7d4fe7afce4)

Also the update includes the following changes:

Overall still looking at it myself; most of the addons are not valid (because they are included) for this version; however you may still use the kernel modules, or the Villain iconia kernel 3.7 from the previous release if they are required/desired. I have noticed the browser seems a bit more stable.
    Ok after poking it on my tab for about 15min I see the problem (as posted on g+):
    https://plus.google.com/105725823359318666169/posts/36AhLKzDjn9

I'll add an update.zip to second post to both add the certs I've posted earlier today and the symlink requires to fix video chat. The option appeared for me without issue as soon as the symlink for cat was in place.

To manually add it (to avoid the update or wait):

Code:
    adb remount
    adb shell ln -s ../xbin/busybox /system/bin/cat
    adb sync
    adb reboot

Edit:
    Update zip in 2nd post: