Build Quality Issues

Search This thread

Sleepy!

Jul 20, 2010
Please report any build quality issues here so that prospective buyers can be aware of them and so that new owners can know what issues to be on the look out for.

Confirmed
*Dead pixels
*Screen light bleed
*Oddly coloured pixels (mostly on the left side of the screen)
*Issues with accurate displaying of battery levels

Unconfirmed
*Screen creaking
*Screen flickering when brightness level is set below 30% (more details here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2384131)

Please share any more problems that you come across so we can know all the potential issues with the new N7, and any fixes for the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: mertzi

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Please report any build quality issues here.

Dead pixels

Screen light bleed

Please report any more problems that you come across so that we can know all the issues with the new N7.

Hardware Issues: None (so far). I'm actually VERY impressed, as I was quite nervous after the original N7 debacle. No screen lift, no dead/stuck pixels, no problems whatsoever. It feels very sturdy and well built as well, significantly better than the original. Now I just need to get a case to keep it that way.

Software Issues: Haven't had a chance to use it long enough to tell, but there is certainly one major issue affecting some people. I won't go into the details here (it's been discussed in other threads), but some devices seem to be unable to upgrade to the JSS15J OTA update due to a failure to validate one of the files. I bring this up here because, IMHO, it is a 'build quality' related issue, or more specifically a problem with QA. In all reported cases so far, none of these affected devices had the standard wallpaper installed, which seems to indicate that there was a flashing issue at the factory.

Overall, I am very happy with the unit. I wasn't sure whether I would buy it since I still liked my original N7, plus I have a new Dell Latitude 10 tablet I bought a few weeks ago, but I'm glad I went ahead and got it.

Reactions: DoubleM27

Sleepy!

Jul 20, 2010
Hardware Issues: None (so far). I'm actually VERY impressed, as I was quite nervous after the original N7 debacle. No screen lift, no dead/stuck pixels, no problems whatsoever. It feels very sturdy and well built as well, significantly better than the original. Now I just need to get a case to keep it that way.

Software Issues: Haven't had a chance to use it long enough to tell, but there is certainly one major issue affecting some people. I won't go into the details here (it's been discussed in other threads), but some devices seem to be unable to upgrade to the JSS15J OTA update due to a failure to validate one of the files. I bring this up here because, IMHO, it is a 'build quality' related issue, or more specifically a problem with QA. In all reported cases so far, none of these affected devices had the standard wallpaper installed, which seems to indicate that there was a flashing issue at the factory.

Overall, I am very happy with the unit. I wasn't sure whether I would buy it since I still liked my original N7, plus I have a new Dell Latitude 10 tablet I bought a few weeks ago, but I'm glad I went ahead and got it.

Awesome. Here's to hoping that most users have no issues, man.

I personally am waiting for the LTE version.

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Awesome. Here's to hoping that most users have no issues, man.

I personally am waiting for the LTE version.

Yeah, I was originally planning on holding out for that version too. I have the N73G and, on occasion, found the 3G part to be quite useful. I was a bit hesitant to effectively downgrade to the standard version. However, I decided to go ahead with the standard 32GB version for a few reasons:
1) I rarely used the 3G.
2) When I did use it, I always had my cell phone and could have just tethered it.
3) The added cost to the unit (isn't it like +$70?), plus the $15/month I was paying to AT&T just wasn't worth it IMHO.
4) My two-week old Latitude 10 tablet has an aircard built-in and I have service for that too.
5) I wanted the new N7 now.

Assuming that the LTE version was available yesterday, I would say that I would have almost certainly bought it instead. But since it wasn't, I went ahead without it.

jayochs

Jul 22, 2010
Central NJ
www.dinosaurstakefrance.com
thought there was a thread for this already.. my issues are dust under the screen and dead pixels. returned my first for dead pixels.. my second has dust under it which is black on white and colored screens... I hardly notice it so I'm keeping it... and there's some light bleed up top.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: Sleepy!

dboss007

Apr 6, 2010
No software issues here, but just found a dead pixel. I'm about to return it to Best Buy for a replacement.

Ravynmagi

Nov 2, 2010
So far no complaints about the build quality on mine. And that is a huge improvement over the 5 or so 2012 Nexus 7s I went through last July, haha.

I have some minor light bleed that is noticeable with dark backgrounds (like reading Kindle in night mode). But it's not bad enough that it bothers me.

skyhawk21

Mar 26, 2009
I am on the latest update and have issues with GPS still with all location options enabled in every system setting and google settings for location.

I get quick locks on gps in GPS TEST and GPS STATUS, I load MAPS the newest version get a lock, then close and run gasbuddy get a lock, close run speedtest get a gps lock, then goto gps test again and after awhile it will completely stop locking on satellites and reset and then keeps showing a gps searching flashing icon top left screen but after awhile stops locking on to satellites and wont find any! Then you got to reboot everytime you want to use gps...

And my previous trick for other devices to fix the gps does not work apparently! Please someone else do some extensive testing before my 14 day return window so I can see if its only my device or all new nexus 7 2013 devices. I know ASUS has a history of having messed up GPS hardware in their tablets....

Also I had issues with the camera hardware and or software wise with the stock android 4.3 camera app. Still need to do more testing but it was having issues in direct and bright sunlight during photo taking and video taking!

skyhawk21

Mar 26, 2009
Camera issues fixed with latest update...

for gps I had to do this:

Knock on Wood, I think I got the gps problems nipped in the butt!

I had to reset the tablet from system settings after having both updates installed, when setting up tablet (initial boot) enable all location stuff except for the new android 4.3 wifi location while off option.. Also make sure to disable backup and restore options while doing the initial install.

Now so far GPS has been working steadily ever since first initial boot, no need to reset and power up again and after trying it for an hour all gps apps back and forth its still finding signal sometimes instant sometimes 20 seconds or so but no issues like before this time...

Working like it should now! I guess a hard reset after all updates was needed to reconfigure things!

As I posted in another thread....

My 32gb showed up from Amazon today...I love the device but I'm not impressed with this flaw down the left side. My pixels aren't dead....they are extra alive :(

ndyo.jpg

I set up a return for exchange with Amazon. Looks like the 32gb's are out of stock so I will be waiting for them to ship me a new one. I wish Amazon had better info on the status of it, I would like to see it saying "will ship as soon as new stock comes in" or something.
I have 30 days to send them my old one or they will charge me for 2. I've got the label printed but I'd like to get the new one before I ship this back.

cmbeid

Dec 20, 2011
Vertical line of Green Pixels

As I posted in another thread....

My 32gb showed up from Amazon today...I love the device but I'm not impressed with this flaw down the left side. My pixels aren't dead....they are extra alive :(

I set up a return for exchange with Amazon. Looks like the 32gb's are out of stock so I will be waiting for them to ship me a new one. I wish Amazon had better info on the status of it, I would like to see it saying "will ship as soon as new stock comes in" or something.
I have 30 days to send them my old one or they will charge me for 2. I've got the label printed but I'd like to get the new one before I ship this back.

I received my 32GB Nexus 7 from Amazon this morning, and noticed a vertical line of green pixels. It eventually went away, but RMA'ing and have to wait until August 20th. So being impatient, I just ordered another on Google Play and will ship back the defective Amazon one after I get it.

Apocaliptic

Nov 12, 2012
A line of dead pixel from top to bottom on the left side of the screen. Light bleeding and on white background noticed yellow splits. Very disappointed.

I received my 32GB Nexus 7 from Amazon this morning, and noticed a vertical line of green pixels. It eventually went away, but RMA'ing and have to wait until August 20th. So being impatient, I just ordered another on Google Play and will ship back the defective Amazon one after I get it.

Nice. Amazon emailed me giving me the option to just take a refund since they aren't in stock. I have a feeling they will get them in sooner than the 3-4 weeks that's currently estimate. I'm just gonna wait....they created a new order for $0 for a 32gb N7 for me so I'll be lookin for that to ship in a week or 2.

1rreverentZ

Jul 28, 2013
Anyone have any comments on what this means for the battery? Sorry couldn't add pic

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-27-17-25-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-07-27-17-25-29.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 993
Last edited:
Reactions: teonagode

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You'll always hear more from people with problems than those without.

I bought mine from a seller in the UK but it is a US unit. Manufacture date 07/2013, I've had zero problems with it, no build issues and no erratic touchscreen or GPS issues either.

So there is good ones out there, and they probably outnumber the bad, you'll just hear less from them :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Wow ?! A $329 Tablet has better build quality than a $229 ($189 for me, with coupon) tablet ?!

Next, you'll be saying that a Lamborghini gets more attention and goes faster than a Kia !!
    I hope this isn't the case. They don't even show up when I use Show Touches in developers options.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

I've noticed that you have to hold it a little longer for it to register instead of just a very quick tap. Maybe that's why it is not registering
    Just opened mine and I'm having touch issues.. sometimes I have to tap something 3 or 4 times to register.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

I think with 4.3 jellybean, you just have to hit it in the right place. I also notice this, but I dont have extraneous touches when running the touch test and intersecting horizontally & vertically

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4
    Your opinion is totally useless.
    You are proud and amused about being randomly assigned a well built device. Your writing is below elementary school level. My advice is to read more and post less.

I apologize was out of line and childish

Sent 4rm my Paranoid Nexus 4.3 LTE...