[GUIDE] Enable navigation on cars with Sync Gen 2 and MyFord Touch

Search This thread

TheSt33v

Jun 12, 2014
The Stupid Country
I thought it would be nice to distill all of the information provided in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3368080 into an easy to follow guide. This method was originally described here: https://www.drive2.ru/l/10018006/

Before you proceed, please understand the following:
  • I am very new to modifications like this and I'm not very knowledgeable. If you mess something up, I probably won't be able to help you.
  • The following guide is the steps that I took to get this working on my 2012 Ford Focus. I'm not aware of any car model-specific issues, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any.
  • This guide is for North American cars. If you live in a different region this will still probably work, but you will need to use the MyFord Touch system software files that correspond to your region.

What you will need:

Got everything? Let's get started:

1. Plug (or pair, if you're using a Bluetooth adapter) your OBD2 interface into the OBD2 port on your car.
  2. Put your key in the car and turn it to the On position (the first click after off. Do not put it in accessory mode, which is the second click).
  3. Start up Forscan. You should be on the Vehicle and Interface Information screen (the icon looks like a car with an "i" in a yellow circle on top of it).
  4. Click on the icon that looks like two power cables plugged in to each other to connect to your car. You'll see some information start to populate the log. Wait until it is completely finished.
  5. Forscan might show you a menu with different vehicle options to pick. Pick yours from the list. In my case, it asked if my Focus was 2012 or 2013.
  6. If at any time Forscan asks if you want to save something so you can back it up later, say yes.
  7. Click on the icon that looks like a microchip and under the Configuration and Programming tab, select APIM and press the play icon.
  8. You'll see a lot of fields that are labeled with numbers that start with 7D0. Click the disk icon at the bottom of the screen to save a copy of these original values.
  9. Find 7D0-01-02 and change the first two numbers in the first field from 00 to 04. Click Write to save the change.
  10. You'll see a warning message about the checksum being bad. Click yes to ignore it and continue with the change.
  11. Go back to the Vehicle and Interface Information screen (the icon looks like a car with an "i" in a yellow circle on top of it) and click the unplugged power cables icon to disconnect your computer from the car. You can remove the OBD2 interface now if you like.
  12. Put the png file that you downloaded earlier on to a USB flash drive and plug it into the USB port in your car.
  13. In MyFord Touch, go to settings -> display, and find the setting for changing the wallpaper (I forget exactly what it's called).
  14. Click on Add, and select your USB drive. Highlight the png file, and in the preview box, you should see a blue button that says "enable nav" or something like that. Press it, and you should see "nav enabled" appear above it.
  15. Extract the nav-related files to your USB flash drive and plug it in to your car. It will install some things (be patient, let it finish) and when it's done, you should see an "i" icon at the bottom of your home screen.
  16. Insert your navigation SD card into your car's SD card slot, and you should be good to go.

Hopefully you now have access to a navigation system that is every bit as sub-par but adequate as the rest of the MyFord Touch system. Congrats!

UPDATE: Someone just told me that their car wouldn't read their map card until they installed the package that I labeled optional, so it might be worth a shot if you didn't use it and you're having issues. Again, that package is specific to North America, so if you need a different region, you'll have to find it yourself unless some helpful reader wants to provide a link, and I'll post it here.

Last edited:

Aberrix

Jan 20, 2011
I followed these steps pretty much exactly and everything works perfect. I did a master reset and I did not install the optional update pack and I had no issues with my map card.

also worth noting to fix IPC so instead of compass it says Navigation:
720-01-01 E5C0-29BE-24D9 needs to be E5C2-29BE-24DB

update: my middle/last part of that string did not match exactly, however changing the 2 bits still fixed the cluster to say Navigation.

mesaman1553

Oct 21, 2016
Phoenix
After a few attempts I finally have Nav on our 2013 Edge. I'm grateful for the assistance I received from a fellow member. We spoke last night and I had missed 1 step in the activation process and that was all it took. I used the png method without doing a Master reset.
Again many thanks to this site and it's members for the help.

Reactions: S_2z

kgorczyn

Jul 7, 2011
Hi Everyone.

I have a 2013 C-Max Energi, it came with MyFordTouch but no navigation option. Navigation was only available on the Sony Radio Premium Option which I do not have. It's totally different hardware. I am in the United States if it makes any difference....

So am I reading this correctly... From what I understand, I can get Navigation working without replacing any hardware? Is that correct?

e1ioan

Sep 10, 2012
Hi Everyone.

I have a 2013 C-Max Energi, it came with MyFordTouch but no navigation option. Navigation was only available on the Sony Radio Premium Option which I do not have. It's totally different hardware. I am in the United States if it makes any difference....

So am I reading this correctly... From what I understand, I can get Navigation working without replacing any hardware? Is that correct?

That's correct. I have MyFord Touch (not SONY) on my 2013 Escape and I was able to enable the Navigation without any hardware. Before enabling the navigation, the top right quadrant of my 8" screen was showing just "information" and the ball compass. Just follow the steps in first post in this thread to enable navigation.

kgorczyn

Jul 7, 2011
That's correct. I have MyFord Touch (not SONY) on my 2013 Escape and I was able to enable the Navigation without any hardware. Before enabling the navigation, the top right quadrant of my 8" screen was showing just "information" and the ball compass. Just follow the steps in first post in this thread to enable navigation.

Wow that's incredible - I'll be sure to read through this stuff and take a shot.

One Question, besides e-bay or the dealer ($$$), can anyone give me a hint or nudge me in the right direction and where I can 'make' the map SD Card?

doodymgc

Oct 4, 2007
Thank you! Followed your guide and worked on my 2016 Fusion SE. I used a bluetooth ELM327. Can also confirm my nav card (a6) was not detected until installing the optional files.

briankmizell

Nov 12, 2016
Hackett
Wow that's incredible - I'll be sure to read through this stuff and take a shot.

One Question, besides e-bay or the dealer ($$$), can anyone give me a hint or nudge me in the right direction and where I can 'make' the map SD Card?

I cant recall where i seen it, but there is a Russian site with info on creating your own map sd card.

I was going to attempt it, but i aquired an A6 card on ebay for $38.00 W/free shipping as of Nov. 27, 2016, so for that price, a good quality blank high speed sd card cost about the same.

TheSt33v

Jun 12, 2014
The Stupid Country
I cant recall where i seen it, but there is a Russian site with info on creating your own map sd card.

I was going to attempt it, but i aquired an A6 card on ebay for $38.00 W/free shipping as of Nov. 27, 2016, so for that price, a good quality blank high speed sd card cost about the same.

If one were to read the OP carefully, one might just find that site.

No more hints from me though. Even that is treading on thin ice on XDA, and I'm really not trying to get banned.

briankmizell

Nov 12, 2016
Hackett
Anyone else have issues with traffic and travel links Icon disappearing?

It was there for me prior to updating to AF.

But now its not there.

briankmizell

Nov 12, 2016
Hackett
Well... I guess I am off to see the Ford services dept in the morning.

I have tried to do a downgrade to v3.71 but not luck, it keeps saying bad installation files. I was doing this thinking the v3.08_AF is what made some icons on the screen disappear.

I spent 90 minutes on the phone with SiriusXM the other day trying to get the issue resolved about Sirius Traffic & Travel links icon not showing up.

They did an override and gave me a 3 month trial to traffic and travel links, just to see if my radio does support it. I know it does because I went through it all the night I got Nav to working. then I updated to v3.08_AF I got tired and went to bed, I got up the next morning to play around with it, but the icons just aren't there on my car ever since I upgraded from 3.08_AD to 3.08_AF.

All I can figure is that possibly the European software got installed, and I assume that SiriusXM is not available in Europe.

My only other thought is that some bits need to be changed in the ACM, but I must have missed it in the other various threads as to what bits need to be changed in the ACM.

If anyone knows what bits those are and if it will correct my problem, (dont really think it will since the icons were there before the AF update) I would appreciate anyone sharing that with me.

Blueoval24

Sep 26, 2009
Arizona
Well... I guess I am off to see the Ford services dept in the morning.

I have tried to do a downgrade to v3.71 but not luck, it keeps saying bad installation files. I was doing this thinking the v3.08_AF is what made some icons on the screen disappear.

I spent 90 minutes on the phone with SiriusXM the other day trying to get the issue resolved about Sirius Traffic & Travel links icon not showing up.

They did an override and gave me a 3 month trial to traffic and travel links, just to see if my radio does support it. I know it does because I went through it all the night I got Nav to working. then I updated to v3.08_AF I got tired and went to bed, I got up the next morning to play around with it, but the icons just aren't there on my car ever since I upgraded from 3.08_AD to 3.08_AF.

All I can figure is that possibly the European software got installed, and I assume that SiriusXM is not available in Europe.

My only other thought is that some bits need to be changed in the ACM, but I must have missed it in the other various threads as to what bits need to be changed in the ACM.

If anyone knows what bits those are and if it will correct my problem, (dont really think it will since the icons were there before the AF update) I would appreciate anyone sharing that with me.

In the ACM, find 727-04-01 change 0001 0255 53DE to 0001 0155 53DD
Don't worry about recalculating the checksum if you are using forscan.
FWIW, although I have never had the issue with icons disappearing, after making the changes in the ACM, I have noticed zero difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: briankmizell

briankmizell

Nov 12, 2016
Hackett
spent 3 hours at the dealer and they couldn't figure it out, luckily while I was there a guy for the explorer forums messaged me. and told me that it was because I have Nav in motion enabled.

Sure enough, I disabled those bits and the SiriusXm Traffic and travel Links icons came back on.

Ill add a pic shortly to show what bits I changed.

Reactions: JaysonTamayo

COMpulse

Feb 21, 2011
Detroit
www.CompulsiveCode.com
Nav In Motion is a Region Change (telling the car it's from a region without restrictions on entering data while driving). When you enable Nav In Motion, you lose Sirius stuff. This is documented in the real Nav Activation threads.

Also, you mucked with your AsBuilt, never tried setting it back to stock when you had a problem, blamed/nagged Sirius until they gave you a free subscription, and then when that didn't work you went to the dealership to have them investigate your hacked system?

I'm surprised they didn't reset your AsBuilt data. I also hope they charged you 3 hours of labor.

The ACM bit does nothing as far as we know. No reason to change it. Nobody has reported any benefit or even any change from doing so.

Last edited:

rabusseau

Dec 17, 2016
Sorry for my poor quality English. I only speak French. I would like to find a link for the F4 or higher version for Canada. '' uT '' the please. rabusseau hotmail com Thanks from Quebec city!! :D

Candurin

Sep 21, 2007
spent 3 hours at the dealer and they couldn't figure it out, luckily while I was there a guy for the explorer forums messaged me. and told me that it was because I have Nav in motion enabled.

Sure enough, I disabled those bits and the SiriusXm Traffic and travel Links icons came back on.

Ill add a pic shortly to show what bits I changed.

And to think all you had to do was search/peruse the other XDA (main Ford SYNC) thread and you would see a number of posts explaining that changing the "5553" code to "5753" (enabling "navigation in motion") has the consequence of removing all Sirius navigation goodies.

r0mbas1c

Jan 5, 2017
Navigation "Upgrade" with SyncMyRide account?

Thanks for this guide !

Just ordered a replacement ELM327 (the one I had turned out to be a cheap Chinese knockoff that didn't support forscan)....arrives tomorrow, will attempt the upgrade this weekend.

OP - if this works out, I will be forever in your debt....

Question for all -- just got this vehicle....registered it on the Ford site, but have not registered it with SyncMyRide..... concerned about connecting the system to Ford through my phone if I go through with this upgrade..... anyone have issues with doing this in the past? Should I be concerned about Ford's ability to see my software tweaks?

Thanks!

yeo123

Jan 9, 2017
Hi

I have a problem. I do the steps on my mondeo 2015 Europe but doesnt work. If I insert card says bad SD card. Insert valid SD card..
Do anybody have an idea what ia wrong?
Is maybe bad SD card, or something else?

Regards

Reactions: Dchur99

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I thought it would be nice to distill all of the information provided in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3368080 into an easy to follow guide. This method was originally described here: https://www.drive2.ru/l/10018006/

Before you proceed, please understand the following:
    • I am very new to modifications like this and I'm not very knowledgeable. If you mess something up, I probably won't be able to help you.
    • The following guide is the steps that I took to get this working on my 2012 Ford Focus. I'm not aware of any car model-specific issues, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any.
    • This guide is for North American cars. If you live in a different region this will still probably work, but you will need to use the MyFord Touch system software files that correspond to your region.

What you will need:

Got everything? Let's get started:

1. Plug (or pair, if you're using a Bluetooth adapter) your OBD2 interface into the OBD2 port on your car.
    2. Put your key in the car and turn it to the On position (the first click after off. Do not put it in accessory mode, which is the second click).
    3. Start up Forscan. You should be on the Vehicle and Interface Information screen (the icon looks like a car with an "i" in a yellow circle on top of it).
    4. Click on the icon that looks like two power cables plugged in to each other to connect to your car. You'll see some information start to populate the log. Wait until it is completely finished.
    5. Forscan might show you a menu with different vehicle options to pick. Pick yours from the list. In my case, it asked if my Focus was 2012 or 2013.
    6. If at any time Forscan asks if you want to save something so you can back it up later, say yes.
    7. Click on the icon that looks like a microchip and under the Configuration and Programming tab, select APIM and press the play icon.
    8. You'll see a lot of fields that are labeled with numbers that start with 7D0. Click the disk icon at the bottom of the screen to save a copy of these original values.
    9. Find 7D0-01-02 and change the first two numbers in the first field from 00 to 04. Click Write to save the change.
    10. You'll see a warning message about the checksum being bad. Click yes to ignore it and continue with the change.
    11. Go back to the Vehicle and Interface Information screen (the icon looks like a car with an "i" in a yellow circle on top of it) and click the unplugged power cables icon to disconnect your computer from the car. You can remove the OBD2 interface now if you like.
    12. Put the png file that you downloaded earlier on to a USB flash drive and plug it into the USB port in your car.
    13. In MyFord Touch, go to settings -> display, and find the setting for changing the wallpaper (I forget exactly what it's called).
    14. Click on Add, and select your USB drive. Highlight the png file, and in the preview box, you should see a blue button that says "enable nav" or something like that. Press it, and you should see "nav enabled" appear above it.
    15. Extract the nav-related files to your USB flash drive and plug it in to your car. It will install some things (be patient, let it finish) and when it's done, you should see an "i" icon at the bottom of your home screen.
    16. Insert your navigation SD card into your car's SD card slot, and you should be good to go.

Hopefully you now have access to a navigation system that is every bit as sub-par but adequate as the rest of the MyFord Touch system. Congrats!

UPDATE: Someone just told me that their car wouldn't read their map card until they installed the package that I labeled optional, so it might be worth a shot if you didn't use it and you're having issues. Again, that package is specific to North America, so if you need a different region, you'll have to find it yourself unless some helpful reader wants to provide a link, and I'll post it here.
    I followed these steps pretty much exactly and everything works perfect. I did a master reset and I did not install the optional update pack and I had no issues with my map card.

also worth noting to fix IPC so instead of compass it says Navigation:
    720-01-01 E5C0-29BE-24D9 needs to be E5C2-29BE-24DB

update: my middle/last part of that string did not match exactly, however changing the 2 bits still fixed the cluster to say Navigation.
    Hi

I have a problem. I do the steps on my mondeo 2015 Europe but doesnt work. If I insert card says bad SD card. Insert valid SD card..
    Do anybody have an idea what ia wrong?
    Is maybe bad SD card, or something else?

Regards

I had the same problem as this and it turns out there is a fix, download this zip folder (w w w.dropbox.com/s/llahdixb1ctj6hx/NaviUpdate_5.67.6.zip?dl=0) place the syncmyride folder and the autoinstall file in the root of a usb stick. The sync system will update and reset, once done so it will come up with the prompt to insert your nav SD card, once you do it should all work.

Hope this helps anyone else, the information in this thread has been very useful :good:
    Nav In Motion is a Region Change (telling the car it's from a region without restrictions on entering data while driving). When you enable Nav In Motion, you lose Sirius stuff. This is documented in the real Nav Activation threads.

Also, you mucked with your AsBuilt, never tried setting it back to stock when you had a problem, blamed/nagged Sirius until they gave you a free subscription, and then when that didn't work you went to the dealership to have them investigate your hacked system?

I'm surprised they didn't reset your AsBuilt data. I also hope they charged you 3 hours of labor.

The ACM bit does nothing as far as we know. No reason to change it. Nobody has reported any benefit or even any change from doing so.
    After a few attempts I finally have Nav on our 2013 Edge. I'm grateful for the assistance I received from a fellow member. We spoke last night and I had missed 1 step in the activation process and that was all it took. I used the png method without doing a Master reset.
    Again many thanks to this site and it's members for the help.