[MOD][13AUG]Multi ROM for Nexus 4 | Multi Boot |

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

oblikas

Sep 28, 2012
Bacau
Introduction
MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod made by @Tasssadar for Nexus 7 and ported to Nexus 4. It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch (not yet).Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs, daily prebuilt image files to install Ubuntu Touch and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

Features:
* Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
* Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
* Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

Warning!
I don't take any responsability for any bricked phone,unicorn war etc.You take the risk.Everything should work fine.

Installation
Warning!
You can't use 4.3 and 4.2 together !
You can't use multiple boot images!

Note 1: Sometimes booting secondary ROMs can take a lil'more time,don't get scared.
Note 1: Your device must not be encrypted (hint: if you don't know what it is, then it is not encrypted).

MultiROM has 2 parts you need to install:
MultiROM (multirom_vXX_n4-signed.zip) - download the ZIP file from second post and flash it in recovery.
Modified recovery (TWRP_multirom_n4_YYYYMMDD.img) - download the IMG file from second post and use fastboot or Flashify app to flash it.
You current rom will not be erased by the installation.
Download links are in the second post.

1.Flash the modified recovery
2.Flash the MultiROM zip
3.Enjoy!

Adding ROMs
1.Android
Go to recovery, select Advanced -> MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm. As for the space, clean installation of stock 4.2 after first boot (with dalvik cache generated and connected to google account) takes 676mb of space.

Using the USB Drive
NOT TESTED YET !

During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images.
Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.

Updating/changing ROMs

1.Primary ROMs

- Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, you can format cache/system/data & do factory reset before flashing (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
- Flash the MultiROM zip file again.

Secondary ROMs
If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
Go to Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.

Explanation of recovery menus

Main menu
- Add ROM - add ROM to boot
- List ROMs - list installed ROMs and manage them
- Inject boot.img file - When you download for example kernel, which is distrubuted as whole boot.img (eg. franco kernel), you have to use this option on it, otherwise you would lose MultiROM.
- Inject curr. boot sector - don't use it !
- Settings - well, settings.

Manage ROM
- Rename, delete - I believe these are obvious
- Flash ZIP (only Android ROMs) - flash ZIP to the ROM, for example gapps
- Add/replace boot.img - replaces boot.img used by this ROM, this is more like developer option.

Source code

Donations&donators
Please,help me to buy a good PC ! You can donate here

Also,help @Tasssadar because he is the master ! Here !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHvmvEQjqHM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Pics and videos

pgBGEIi.jpg

Credits
@Tasssadar ! Thank you so much for help ! @cpu999 for build server
Any other person who helped me

Last edited:

D-m-x

Apr 28, 2011
Germany
Nice work, I will test this if I have time. Seems promising though.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction
    MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod made by @Tasssadar for Nexus 7 and ported to Nexus 4. It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch (not yet).Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs, daily prebuilt image files to install Ubuntu Touch and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

Features:
    * Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
    * Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
    * Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

Warning!
    I don't take any responsability for any bricked phone,unicorn war etc.You take the risk.Everything should work fine.

Installation
    Warning!
    You can't use 4.3 and 4.2 together !
    You can't use multiple boot images!

Note 1: Sometimes booting secondary ROMs can take a lil'more time,don't get scared.
    Note 1: Your device must not be encrypted (hint: if you don't know what it is, then it is not encrypted).

MultiROM has 2 parts you need to install:
    MultiROM (multirom_vXX_n4-signed.zip) - download the ZIP file from second post and flash it in recovery.
    Modified recovery (TWRP_multirom_n4_YYYYMMDD.img) - download the IMG file from second post and use fastboot or Flashify app to flash it.
    You current rom will not be erased by the installation.
    Download links are in the second post.

1.Flash the modified recovery
    2.Flash the MultiROM zip
    3.Enjoy!

Adding ROMs
    1.Android
    Go to recovery, select Advanced -> MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm. As for the space, clean installation of stock 4.2 after first boot (with dalvik cache generated and connected to google account) takes 676mb of space.

Using the USB Drive
    NOT TESTED YET !

During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
    If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
    If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
    Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images.
    Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.

Updating/changing ROMs

1.Primary ROMs

- Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, you can format cache/system/data & do factory reset before flashing (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
    - Flash the MultiROM zip file again.

Secondary ROMs
    If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
    Go to Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
    Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.

Explanation of recovery menus

Main menu
    - Add ROM - add ROM to boot
    - List ROMs - list installed ROMs and manage them
    - Inject boot.img file - When you download for example kernel, which is distrubuted as whole boot.img (eg. franco kernel), you have to use this option on it, otherwise you would lose MultiROM.
    - Inject curr. boot sector - don't use it !
    - Settings - well, settings.

Manage ROM
    - Rename, delete - I believe these are obvious
    - Flash ZIP (only Android ROMs) - flash ZIP to the ROM, for example gapps
    - Add/replace boot.img - replaces boot.img used by this ROM, this is more like developer option.

Source code

Donations&donators
    Please,help me to buy a good PC ! You can donate here

Also,help @Tasssadar because he is the master ! Here !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHvmvEQjqHM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Pics and videos

pgBGEIi.jpg

Credits
    @Tasssadar ! Thank you so much for help ! @cpu999 for build server
    Any other person who helped me
    I'm back guys :)
    Hello, I'm making mako officially supported device and taking over the development, with oblikas' permission.

New thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2472295

Looks like I have my very own stalker ^^
    We'll need kexec hardboot kernel

Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 usando Tapatalk 4

Give me 3 days !

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4