[MOD][5.0.2/4.4.x] SMS and WiFi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G (2012)

Search This thread

keneth_c

Feb 16, 2013
Dubai
I'm sure @GuyAdams will do the needful.

There's no need to emphasize on the same everytime there is an update by Google. This goes for you and for everyone (including me!) out there.

You know he's gonna do it as soon as he can find the time... So...

"Please, have some patience!"

--
Sent from my Samsung S3 (GT-i9300) on OmniROM 4.4.3 (official nightly) powered by Boeffla kernel via Tapatalk

Reactions: GuyAdams

major_figjam

Jun 24, 2014
Seems in fact that the KTU84L patch works just as well on KTU84P.

Just updated with fastboot, to flash boot.img and system.img. Then reflash the GuyAdams patch, wipe Dalvik & Cache, then reboot.

All working fine with 8SMS for sms, and running a wifi tether.

Major

Reactions: sur1k

GuyAdams

Jun 23, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Seems in fact that the KTU84L patch works just as well on KTU84P.

Just updated with fastboot, to flash boot.img and system.img. Then reflash the GuyAdams patch, wipe Dalvik & Cache, then reboot.

All working fine with 8SMS for sms, and running a wifi tether.

Major

I've checked over the new update and sure enough the 4.4.3 version of this mod is SAFE to use on 4.4.4.

The only difference is a manifest which won't effect you, I will however release an updated version built on the new files shortly for those of you would prefer a 100% correct version.

Thanks

DonS

Mar 28, 2005
Doesn't seem to work on KTU84P

I reflashed to completely stock, did a factory reset, rooted, installed a custom recovery, and then applied the SMS/WiFi Tethering ZIP for KTU84P. The flash of the zip completed successfully and I rebooted to the system.

I do not have a menu for Tethering & Mobile hotspot in settings.

Has anyone else been able to get this to work on KTU84P?

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Here is some additional information on my issue.

First, I'm using an AT&T SIM in the US.

If I enable airplane mode and reboot, the Tethering & mobile hotspot menu appears. I can go into the settings and setup the SSID and security the way I want it. As soon as I turn off airplane more and it connects to AT&T, the menu option disappears. Of course then there is no way to enable the hotspot. So I downloaded a hotspot toggle widget from the Play store. I had to enable airplane mode and reboot again just to add the widget to my home screen.

Then I could turn off airplane mode to enable the 3G radio. When I tap the hotspot toggle widget, it does turn on the hotspot. I can see the hotspot from my PC and connect to it. The only issue is there does not appear to be a functioning DHCP server on the Nexus 7 as the PC doesn't get an IP address so it automatically assigns one. Of course that IP address is probably not in the correct IP range, subnet mask, or default gateway, so I cannot connect to the Internet from my PC.

GuyAdams

Jun 23, 2007
Nottinghamshire
I reflashed to completely stock, did a factory reset, rooted, installed a custom recovery, and then applied the SMS/WiFi Tethering ZIP for KTU84P. The flash of the zip completed successfully and I rebooted to the system.

I do not have a menu for Tethering & Mobile hotspot in settings.

Has anyone else been able to get this to work on KTU84P?

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Here is some additional information on my issue.

First, I'm using an AT&T SIM in the US.

If I enable airplane mode and reboot, the Tethering & mobile hotspot menu appears. I can go into the settings and setup the SSID and security the way I want it. As soon as I turn off airplane more and it connects to AT&T, the menu option disappears. Of course then there is no way to enable the hotspot. So I downloaded a hotspot toggle widget from the Play store. I had to enable airplane mode and reboot again just to add the widget to my home screen.

Then I could turn off airplane mode to enable the 3G radio. When I tap the hotspot toggle widget, it does turn on the hotspot. I can see the hotspot from my PC and connect to it. The only issue is there does not appear to be a functioning DHCP server on the Nexus 7 as the PC doesn't get an IP address so it automatically assigns one. Of course that IP address is probably not in the correct IP range, subnet mask, or default gateway, so I cannot connect to the Internet from my PC.
AT&T requires some different variables but I'll need a reference to check it, does the N5 work on AT&T?

DonS

Mar 28, 2005
Leave it with me, I'll probably have to build a AT&T specific version.

Thanks for working on it!

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

I remember enabling the WiFi hotspot when I first got this tablet was done by editing some files and changing some values. I believe the tablet had a Jellybean ROM when I got it. If you have what needs to be changed I can try editing them manually if that is less work for you.

prasetyo12p1

Mar 25, 2012
thankyou for the 4.4.4 mod, @GuyAdams! (although i prefer the WiFi Hotspot-only mod, cause I don't like the volume control problem when using the SMS+Tethering mod). :p:fingers-crossed:

alvin1

Sep 19, 2007
I currently have enabled tethering with wifi module with exposed omnirom 4.4.4 and Dalvik. Question: With the new update zip also works with art without exposed? thank you very much

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 utilizzando Tapatalk

alvin1

Sep 19, 2007
boot loop

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Unfortunately, the mod does not work with Omnirom with Art. Continuous bootloop. The mod will only work with stock?

Inviato dal mio Nexus 7 utilizzando Tapatalk

keneth_c

Feb 16, 2013
Dubai
boot loop

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Unfortunately, the mod does not work with Omnirom with Art. Continuous bootloop. The mod will only work with stock?

Inviato dal mio Nexus 7 utilizzando Tapatalk
Please read OP properly.

Top Liked Posts