[APP][02/26] Nook Color USB Mass Storage utility - Mount any partition to your PC

Search This thread

samuelhalff

Oct 5, 2010
I've compiled a simple app to be able to easily mount to your PC any given partition.

Feel free to donate if this app is of any use to you. Much appreciated.

Please note that changes to the drive will not be saved if you do not properly unmount/eject the drive from PC (in Ubuntu: right click, unmount. In Windows, eject.).

For those using stock browser, apk files often fail to download.. You can install Astro explorer and activate downloads in settings (last option). Then you should be able to download this file.
Dolphin should work without issues..

This is a Beta release.

This requires a working root (su). By that I mean your nook must be rooted. Regarding HC, see j4mm3r's thread.

This can be used, for example, to open your SD or internal data on your PC..

You can mount pretty much any partition to your computer with this app:
- SD
- Media (internal drive for your media and documents...)
- SD Partitions (up to 4)
- Internal storage - BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS!!

There are two "mount points" on the nook (lun0 and lun1)

So you can simultanously mount two partitons.
As an example, you can mount SD on 1st and MEDIA on the 2nd.

Each mount point has it's own tab.

Please try it out and post feedback.

Thank you.

EDIT (13.02.2011):

This has been tested on HoneyComb and Froyo (not in Eclair 1.0>1.1).
In Froyo: USB Mass Storage (Notification bar) should be turned off.

Compatibility mode will need to be disabled in Spare parts (reboot required).

If this doesn't work for you, try entering manually in ADB while NC plugged in to your PC:
Code:
adb shell
echo /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file
And post result here.

Sam

----------------

UPDATES:
13-02-2011: 0.2b => minor bugs and made app scrollable for Froyo Landscape

26-02-2011: 0.3b:
- Changed 'settings' label (mistake) to system.
- Added a "Make sure you properly unmount/eject drive from PC when finished" message when mounting.
- Added dual boot system and data (p9 and p10).
- Changed 'Confirm mounting' to 'Confirm', as poster suggested. Thanks.

--------------

Attachments

• NookColorUMS-0.2b.apk
    32.8 KB · Views: 3,967
  • NookColorUMS-0.3b.apk
    38.4 KB · Views: 16,983
Last edited:

woot1524

Dec 15, 2010
Traverse City
profiles.google.com
Hmm can't quite seen to get it to work right. The app does nothing for me when I select a partition to mount. I can get the SD card mounted via android's USB connected notification. I've tried the app with it turned on and off. It's got super user, so that's not it. By the way, I'm running Froyo 6.7 off the eMMC. Let me know what to try.

EDIT: Got it to work after running the ADB command in 1st post. Awesome app, thanks.

Last edited:

biz18434

Oct 7, 2007
Sam,
Thank You, you program made my day. It works great, I have been messing with vold.fstab for days and I could only mount the boot of my sdcard. So, I went with manually pushing file to /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/luno/file which worked but your app make the process much better.
Again Thank you for everything you have done.
Biz

cainhunpi

Jan 18, 2011
Could this work as a Xbox media storage? I want to get a new demo, and I got no Hard Drive :(

DomSim

Sep 24, 2008
this is great! i was thinking (since your help in the other thread) about trying to cobble something like this together myself in android app creator suite but didnt know if i could manage or not. Now i dont need to even try! thank!

EDIT: 2 things, one, is it possible to have this setting survive a reboot? and secondly, is the display supposed to be tiny? it only fills like a third of the screen and is centered at the top. this is on emmc froyo 0.6.7 the screen is scrollable as you said so just have to scroll down for the confirmed button

Last edited:

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL
Does it unmount them on the nook when they are attached to the PC? I was playing with the echo command and it seems that the nook is unable to see any changes to the filesystem. I wrote a script that unmount them then runs the echo statement. Then another script that remount them once they are disconnected.

samuelhalff

Oct 5, 2010
Good question. As I said, this is beta. I'm open to any suggestion. From what I tested, changes did actually occur even when mounted on android..

Unchecked compatibility mode in spare parts and reboot for fullscreen..

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

DomSim

Sep 24, 2008
Good question. As I said, this is beta. I'm open to any suggestion. From what I tested, changes did actually occur even when mounted on android..

Unchecked compatibility mode in spare parts and reboot for fullscreen..

you did say that huh... sorry

samuelhalff

Oct 5, 2010
Glad it helped.
Over 100 downloads and very few feedbacks...

Sam

epakrat75

Aug 11, 2010
Chicago
Over 100 downloads and very few feedbacks...

Interesting. I did see that if you try to download / install directly from the HC browser it doesn't work. Perhaps people do this instead of trying with their computer and assume it doesn't work? Downloads don't equal successful installs.

For Windows users, it (currently) provides the only way to mount the 4th partition of my HC SD card. Am I mistaken? Perhaps others don't realize what this is or are put off by the UI? :confused:

Keep it up. This is a much needed utility ATM.

Last edited:

samuelhalff

Oct 5, 2010
The UI isn't THAT awful, is it? ;)
Anyway, this can help a lot of people, especially the ones not too familiar with ADB..
Sam

epakrat75

Aug 11, 2010
Chicago
The UI isn't THAT awful, is it? ;)
Anyway, this can help a lot of people, especially the ones not too familiar with ADB.

To a person familar with partitions and the android file system it's fine. To those expecting a more fruity / friendly UI, it's far from it. However, you can't please everyone and it might be a waste of your energy to try. It's practical / functional and that's all I need it to be.

Indeed it can, much preferred over ADB even though I can use it just fine. You might want to make it more clear in the OP that users that have problems may need to type "adb shell" before the echo command. Not everyone will know this.

Last edited:

runhopskipjump

Dec 20, 2010
You app works well Sam! I can finally access my media partition via USB. I am looking forward to updates. Perhaps retaining setting after a reboot? Great work man!

Novarider

Jul 20, 2010
Works great! I downloaded it with dolphin browser (running froyo on emmc) Then used root explorer to navigate to downloads and just clicked to install. Doesn't get any easier than that!

Would it be possible to have it mount media partitions? Like if I have dual boot setup would it be possible to mount the extra partitions to edit them?

samuelhalff

Oct 5, 2010
Which media partitions?
Right, forgot about dual booters.. I'll implement that in 0.3..

Thanks.

Reactions: epakrat75

hoola20055

Jan 31, 2009
I want to thank you so much for this samuelhalff. I mean it. Something like this that may seem trivial to someone who can just do it means a WORLD to someone like me and i truly truly appreciate it. The devs/peeps here have made my little wanna be ereader ((hehe)) a great honeycomb tablet. I think its great for someone that cant afford the next great thing **xoom** to be able to join in the tech fun. You all have made me very happy with my little tablet.

Jamie.

texanman

Jan 29, 2009
Cedar Park
Love the app!!!! but i got a issue now... There is no way for me to browse the media partition on the device... so I can not access my pictures that I placed on the internal storage...any insight?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've compiled a simple app to be able to easily mount to your PC any given partition.

Feel free to donate if this app is of any use to you. Much appreciated.

Please note that changes to the drive will not be saved if you do not properly unmount/eject the drive from PC (in Ubuntu: right click, unmount. In Windows, eject.).

For those using stock browser, apk files often fail to download.. You can install Astro explorer and activate downloads in settings (last option). Then you should be able to download this file.
    Dolphin should work without issues..

This is a Beta release.

This requires a working root (su). By that I mean your nook must be rooted. Regarding HC, see j4mm3r's thread.

This can be used, for example, to open your SD or internal data on your PC..

You can mount pretty much any partition to your computer with this app:
    - SD
    - Media (internal drive for your media and documents...)
    - SD Partitions (up to 4)
    - Internal storage - BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS!!

There are two "mount points" on the nook (lun0 and lun1)

So you can simultanously mount two partitons.
    As an example, you can mount SD on 1st and MEDIA on the 2nd.

Each mount point has it's own tab.

Please try it out and post feedback.

Thank you.

EDIT (13.02.2011):

This has been tested on HoneyComb and Froyo (not in Eclair 1.0>1.1).
    In Froyo: USB Mass Storage (Notification bar) should be turned off.

Compatibility mode will need to be disabled in Spare parts (reboot required).

If this doesn't work for you, try entering manually in ADB while NC plugged in to your PC:
    Code:
    adb shell
    echo /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file
    And post result here.

Sam

----------------

UPDATES:
    13-02-2011: 0.2b => minor bugs and made app scrollable for Froyo Landscape

26-02-2011: 0.3b:
    - Changed 'settings' label (mistake) to system.
    - Added a "Make sure you properly unmount/eject drive from PC when finished" message when mounting.
    - Added dual boot system and data (p9 and p10).
    - Changed 'Confirm mounting' to 'Confirm', as poster suggested. Thanks.

--------------
    As I already stated, I'll get more involved if this app becomes really popular. Sorry to say that I won't bother with working on details for about 30 users..

But you do have interesting addins, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App
    Which media partitions?
    Right, forgot about dual booters.. I'll implement that in 0.3..

Thanks.

Browse with an explorer app, like es or astro..
    Or simply use gallery or gallery 3D.

Sam

Thanks for great app- my only suggestion is to have it show up under a different name in /data/app; right now it is com.android-1.apk
    thanks again. Also I bet there are more like 3K users!