Android 10 Soak Test

Search This thread

Spaceminer

Android 10 is now being tested on the Moto G7 Play! I will work on uploading dumps of the OS later this evening. Link added. If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them and I'll do my best to answer.

FYI:

* Once you've installed Android 10, your sim card will not work anymore if you go back to Android 9. To fix it, you must dump the Android 10 modem, and flash it to Pie.

* Twrp will break Android 10 if you mount the oem partition. Twrp also will not boot with the Android 10 vendor installed. I will work on this once official firmware is released.

Android 10 Raw Dump: xt1952-4 RETUS QPY30.71

Vendor, Oem, and System are raw images, so you will need to convert them to sparse images and install them with fastboot, or use dd commands to write everything to the correct inactive partitions. Do not complain to Motorola or me, if you brick your phone. This is a soak test, not official firmware. Information and the tools to convert the images can be found here.

Screenshot_20200504-140938.png Screenshot_20200504-140933.png

Last edited:

banjker

Nov 4, 2013
Is it rolling out for all variants? In any case I'll be waiting a bit while it's established that no major issues have been introduced and downgrade paths are clear.

Spaceminer

I have fixed a number of errors and inconsistencies in the Android 10 build.prop. Things like conflicting settings for audio, emmc size, and duplicate entries. The only added tweaks are, 50 step media volume (Useful for Viper), and forcing the home launcher to stay in RAM. Other than that, everything is stock.

Remove .txt then copy to /system and set permissions to 0600 and reboot.

Attachments

• build.prop.txt
    8.4 KB · Views: 33

Danny33452

Feb 2, 2020
could you post a version with a flashfile.xml and a couple other files for flashing with rsd lite as im not very good with flashing full updates with fastboot
Edit: I also want to ask i have a Channel-Sprint Variant running Channel-Retail Firmware

Last edited:

Spaceminer

could you post a version with a flashfile.xml and a couple other files for flashing with rsd lite as im not very good with flashing full updates with fastboot
Edit: I also want to ask i have a Channel-Sprint Variant running Channel-Retail Firmware

Not possible. These are direct dumps of the OS. It doesn't come with a flash file unless I write it myself. I personally have never used RSD and wouldn't know what other files it needs to work either.

Danny33452

Feb 2, 2020
Not possible. These are direct dumps of the OS. It doesn't come with a flash file unless I write it myself. I personally have never used RSD and wouldn't know what other files it needs to work either.
Never mind I just cross referenced a flash file for retus firmware and used that to find the right partitions but I will link a flash file and a text documents of the files missing from your vs stock RETUS and also I couldnt flash the NON-HLOS.bin because of "Failing Pre-flash Verification" but my cell service is up and working

Spaceminer

Never mind I just cross referenced a flash file for retus firmware and used that to find the right partitions but I will link a flash file and a text documents of the files missing from your vs stock RETUS and also I couldnt flash the NON-HLOS.bin because of "Failing Pre-flash Verification" but my cell service is up and working

What firmware were you on prior? I had to be on 160-4-2 to take the OTA version.

Danny33452

Feb 2, 2020
Before I flashed retus I was on channel-sprint pcys29.105-134-6 but then I flashed retus ppys29.105-160-4-2
Then going to the soak test of Android 10 via Fastboot flashing

Reactions: Spaceminer

Spaceminer

I just wanted to give you guys a rundown of my experience with Android 10. After using it for 3 weeks, my honest recommendation is NOT to upgrade. Here's a list of some problems with it.

Battery Life: It's atrocious. On Android 9 I get ~20hrs of screen on time depending on what I'm doing. With Android 10 I get ~13.5hrs. That's 32.5% less.

Fast Charging: It's broken. It'll fast charge up to about 40%, then it slow charges the rest of the way. It takes about 3hrs to go from 10% to 100%. On Android 9 it charges from 0-100% in ~45min, and it doesn't slow charge until you hit like 90%.

LTE & Net Speed: There is practically no signal while indoors. At my window or outside my download speeds are 2-10mb/s. Indoors my speeds are about 100-300kb/s.

Calling & Texting: sometimes calls fail to ring or wake the phone up. Texts sometimes fail to send or don't make a sound when coming in. RCS gets stuck "setting up", and will never finish or actually work.

Ram Management: It's bad. The OS is going to eat up about 1.2gb by itself, even after you debloat it. Install more than 1 or 2 large apps, and you're going to have major problems. Games frequently crash because of it. There just isn't enough RAM to go around, and the OS doesn't want to release any of it for other tasks.

Storage: It incorrectly thinks our emmc size is about 20gb total. So you get shafted on close to 10gb of storage space. (The OS is roughly 2gb.) Where is it? I don't have a clue, but the OS doesn't see it at all, and you can't use it. I tried fixing this in the build.prop, but it didn't work.

Colors and Brightness: The color pallet is definitely wrong. Many purple shades, especially lighter ones, either look blue or have a blue tint. The screen brightness at 100% is similar to 80% on Pie. It's very dim and extremely hard to see outdoors. On the other side of things, 0% brightness is too bright...

Reactions: JohnSmith8786

Viva La Android R.I.P.

Recognized Contributor
Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
I can confirm that with the newest version of Minimal ADB & Fastboot for Windows, the system, vendor and oem images will flash without converting them to sparsechunk files. Fastboot automatically converts the raw images to sparse images and sequentially flashes them. While you will get a header size error notification, you can disregard it. Just wait a few moments and Fastboot will proceed with converting and flashing. Minimal ADB & Fastboot v1.4.3 will do the job. Here is a direct link to the Windows 32/64 bit build. https://drive.google.com/file/d/12w7AFASFTCfqp0_0EwPyjhtIk7CzwbVN/view?usp=drivesdk @Spaceminer, thanks much for sharing and hosting this soak test thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spaceminer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This version is 32 or 64 bits?

its always going to be 32. but someone is supposedly working on a 64 bit lineage. id build if i knew how
    Android 10 is now being tested on the Moto G7 Play! I will work on uploading dumps of the OS later this evening. Link added. If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them and I'll do my best to answer.

FYI:

* Once you've installed Android 10, your sim card will not work anymore if you go back to Android 9. To fix it, you must dump the Android 10 modem, and flash it to Pie.

* Twrp will break Android 10 if you mount the oem partition. Twrp also will not boot with the Android 10 vendor installed. I will work on this once official firmware is released.

Android 10 Raw Dump: xt1952-4 RETUS QPY30.71

Vendor, Oem, and System are raw images, so you will need to convert them to sparse images and install them with fastboot, or use dd commands to write everything to the correct inactive partitions. Do not complain to Motorola or me, if you brick your phone. This is a soak test, not official firmware. Information and the tools to convert the images can be found here.

Screenshot_20200504-140938.png Screenshot_20200504-140933.png
    Is it rolling out for all variants? In any case I'll be waiting a bit while it's established that no major issues have been introduced and downgrade paths are clear.

Downgrading from this soak test is possible. If you go back to Pie, you must flash Android 10's modem instead or LTE won't work. That's it though.
    Before I flashed retus I was on channel-sprint pcys29.105-134-6 but then I flashed retus ppys29.105-160-4-2
    Then going to the soak test of Android 10 via Fastboot flashing
    I just wanted to give you guys a rundown of my experience with Android 10. After using it for 3 weeks, my honest recommendation is NOT to upgrade. Here's a list of some problems with it.

Battery Life: It's atrocious. On Android 9 I get ~20hrs of screen on time depending on what I'm doing. With Android 10 I get ~13.5hrs. That's 32.5% less.

Fast Charging: It's broken. It'll fast charge up to about 40%, then it slow charges the rest of the way. It takes about 3hrs to go from 10% to 100%. On Android 9 it charges from 0-100% in ~45min, and it doesn't slow charge until you hit like 90%.

LTE & Net Speed: There is practically no signal while indoors. At my window or outside my download speeds are 2-10mb/s. Indoors my speeds are about 100-300kb/s.

Calling & Texting: sometimes calls fail to ring or wake the phone up. Texts sometimes fail to send or don't make a sound when coming in. RCS gets stuck "setting up", and will never finish or actually work.

Ram Management: It's bad. The OS is going to eat up about 1.2gb by itself, even after you debloat it. Install more than 1 or 2 large apps, and you're going to have major problems. Games frequently crash because of it. There just isn't enough RAM to go around, and the OS doesn't want to release any of it for other tasks.

Storage: It incorrectly thinks our emmc size is about 20gb total. So you get shafted on close to 10gb of storage space. (The OS is roughly 2gb.) Where is it? I don't have a clue, but the OS doesn't see it at all, and you can't use it. I tried fixing this in the build.prop, but it didn't work.

Colors and Brightness: The color pallet is definitely wrong. Many purple shades, especially lighter ones, either look blue or have a blue tint. The screen brightness at 100% is similar to 80% on Pie. It's very dim and extremely hard to see outdoors. On the other side of things, 0% brightness is too bright...