Lapdock HDMI

Search This thread

zanzee

Apr 2, 2006
I can confirm that the lapdock does indeed work as a hdmi monitor and usb mouse / keyboard, I had some spare time and tried it out.

*update*
I just spliced a USB A to a micro USB female, works great on my ps3. I just connected USB Rx Tx and ground, Don't bother connecting USB +5vdc red as it sends power up stream and may damage whatever your connecting it to.

here's a video of it in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On8e6kuqeF0

I sent an email to sparkfun inquiring about a micro hdmi female breakout board and here's they're response:

Level 1 level1@sparkfun.com to me

show details 2:33 PM (1 hour ago)

Hi XXXX,

Thank you for your breakout board product suggestion. You bring up a great point about seeing this type of connection more and more. I will forward it on the appropriate people to see if this is something we can make and carry. Thank you again and have a great day!

Take care,
Pamela

Hopefully we see something from this.

Last edited:

stvmac11

Jan 3, 2011
that is awesome, a female micro hdmi to female hdmi cable is impossible to find I'm sure

stvmac11

Jan 3, 2011
I just spliced a USB A to a micro USB female, works great on my ps3. I just connected USB Rx Tx and ground, Don't bother connecting USB +5vd red as it sends power up stream and may damage whatever your connecting it to.

What are you using the USB for for end-use? USB hub for the ps3?
I'm not familiar with the ps3

Last edited:

zanzee

Apr 2, 2006
What are you using the USB for for end-use? USB hub for the ps3?

The lapdock keyboard and touchpad work just like a normal USB keyboard and mouse. I just used a ps3 as a good proof of concept. But it'll work on anything else that has HDMI / DVI and USB. I'm going to use mine as a cheap rack controller with a KVM.

SpeedBrkr

Dec 5, 2011
Awesome find callen81!

If I get a "Gold Plated HDMI Female to HDMI Female Adapter/Converter" (search on dealextreme) coupled with the HDMI Male to Micro HDMI Female Adapter, I should be good to go right?

@callen81: Out of curiosity do you happen to have Rock Band 2 with a Rock Band 2 Guitar? If so, I'd love for you to run the auto-calibration test on the Laptop monitor and let us know what the Video Response Time is (aka input lag). If it's under 16.6ms, then it is considered sub 1 frame lag. If you don't have this, I'll do this test myself when I get my Laptop monitor up and running and report back!

shanghei

Oct 21, 2008
The lapdock keyboard and touchpad work just like a normal USB keyboard and mouse. I just used a ps3 as a good proof of concept. But it'll work on anything else that has HDMI / DVI and USB. I'm going to use mine as a cheap rack controller with a KVM.

Any chance you can take a pic of the splicing?

zanzee

Apr 2, 2006
Awesome find callen81!

If I get a "Gold Plated HDMI Female to HDMI Female Adapter/Converter" (search on dealextreme) coupled with the HDMI Male to Micro HDMI Female Adapter, I should be good to go right?

@callen81: Out of curiosity do you happen to have Rock Band 2 with a Rock Band 2 Guitar? If so, I'd love for you to run the auto-calibration test on the Laptop monitor and let us know what the Video Response Time is (aka input lag). If it's under 16.6ms, then it is considered sub 1 frame lag. If you don't have this, I'll do this test myself when I get my Laptop monitor up and running and report back!

I don't have Rock Band, that HDMI micro female to HDMI male looks identical to the one I have. Looks just to be cheaper? As well I just used a hdmi female to female gender bender for a wall plate and it seems to have worked fine. A HDMI extension cable would probably be ideal.

shanghei

Oct 21, 2008
Where did you get the female micro usb as well? FRom video it looks like the hdmi adapter takes up almost all the room so I am just wondering how hard is it to fit them plugged in at same time

mamoranto

Aug 17, 2006
Is there anyway to make an extender (female to male) for both the HDMI and USB connections? I would love to be able to use my atrix as a webcam for skype or goggle talk since the screen blocks the view of the phone when the lapdock screen is up.

zanzee

Apr 2, 2006
Where did you get the female micro usb as well? FRom video it looks like the hdmi adapter takes up almost all the room so I am just wondering how hard is it to fit them plugged in at same time

I had to file both the hdmi and micro usb female plugs down a bit, far as an extension cable for the atrix itself it wouldn't work as more then usb data is sent though the usb plug.

acoustique

Sep 25, 2011
Mac Mini?

All the more reason to pick up the dock while its being sold for $50 on ATT.

Someone should connect this to a Mac Mini and you would have your very own PAAH (Portable as Hell Hackintosh)

gerrynjr

Jul 13, 2007
I plan on doing the same thing.

Ordered two of the link below thanks to your testing.
hxxp://wwx.sparkfun.com/products/9614

Plan on soldering them together to make a clean adapter. (Without the +5v connected, or with to power a beagleboard using the OTG port)

Had to de-link the post b/c I'm a "new" poster... long time lurker though

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can confirm that the lapdock does indeed work as a hdmi monitor and usb mouse / keyboard, I had some spare time and tried it out.

*update*
    I just spliced a USB A to a micro USB female, works great on my ps3. I just connected USB Rx Tx and ground, Don't bother connecting USB +5vdc red as it sends power up stream and may damage whatever your connecting it to.

here's a video of it in action.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On8e6kuqeF0

I sent an email to sparkfun inquiring about a micro hdmi female breakout board and here's they're response:

Level 1 level1@sparkfun.com to me

show details 2:33 PM (1 hour ago)

Hi XXXX,

Thank you for your breakout board product suggestion. You bring up a great point about seeing this type of connection more and more. I will forward it on the appropriate people to see if this is something we can make and carry. Thank you again and have a great day!

Take care,
    Pamela

Hopefully we see something from this.
    It'd be awesome if you could post some pictures, such as a game console or camera :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On8e6kuqeF0 go here, I just made a simple video demo'ing it working with my ps3.
    What kind of usb slicing is involved?

The lapdock is pretty much a dummy usb kb/mouse & hdmi display. We're pointing out different things that could be done w/ it. Ie, a very small system on chip w/ usb ports & an hdmi out would allow the lapdock to be used as a cheap & light netbook-y unit w/o the phone plugged in.

But mainly, it's the fact that you can use the lapdock as an 11" hdmi monitor w/ audio for pretty much anything. :)

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
    Well, actually the latest CM weekly has LS HDMI mirroring, so the idea was to get the lapdock to hold me over until the eight core convertible tablets (the form factor of the Transformer Prime) start coming out. So would anybody be so kind as to test this with Cyanogenmod, Neutrino, etc.?

Latest weekly has LS HDMI?! :D does it work well on a TV? If so, I would be glad to try. I'll even post a video if I get it working since I wrote the previously linked guide anyway (btw, thanks for linking it earlier youareme7)

Edit: I don't think my trick will work since it does not attempt to load Webtop. But maybe there is some other trickery. I'll nandroid backup my current Wet Dream (just set it up this morning too :( and give it a go anyway)