TWRP and the warranty counter

Search This thread

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
Hey guys I was wonderng if using this app will trip the counter to 1? Or are there other ways to install custom recovery that won't trip the counter?

OvrDriVE

Sep 8, 2012
Fresno
far as i know any custom recovery. ie twrp, cwm, philz, will all trip counter. stock won't but any others will.

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
far as i know any custom recovery. ie twrp, cwm, philz, will all trip counter. stock won't but any others will.

what's stock recovery? oh crap, is stuck recovery available all the time? Like if you messsed up bad on a ROM flash, you can go into stock recovery and restore your system?

Or is that only possible through custom recovery?

OvrDriVE

Sep 8, 2012
Fresno
the one that comes installed on the phone. i'm not sure if using the twrp app will trip it if you use it to install a custom rom but i do know if you install any recovery other then the stock recovery it will trip it

custom is required to fix a bad flash. it can't be done from stock recovery

Last edited:

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
the one that comes installed on the phone. i'm not sure if using the twrp app will trip it if you use it to install a custom rom but i do know if you install any recovery other then the stock recovery it will trip it

custom is required to fix a bad flash. it can't be done from stock recovery

even if that flash doesn't replace/affect original BL?

OvrDriVE

Sep 8, 2012
Fresno
even if that flash doesn't replace/affect original BL?

what is it exactly that your trying to do. i assume it's not pop your warrenty counter. i also assume your on 4.3. from my own personal experience installing a custom rom kind of requires a custom recovery as you will want to do a backup. i also suggest using an app called samsungtool v 2.0 to backup your efs partition just in case. instructions related to installing a custom rom can be found in any rom thread on here. for the most part it's the same for every rom with exception to a few. but again you do all this on your own. btw this will pop your warrenty counter but if your sure about what your doing and your warrenty is up. might as well pop it.

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
what is it exactly that your trying to do. i assume it's not pop your warrenty counter. i also assume your on 4.3. from my own personal experience installing a custom rom kind of requires a custom recovery as you will want to do a backup. i also suggest using an app called samsungtool v 2.0 to backup your efs partition just in case. instructions related to installing a custom rom can be found in any rom thread on here. for the most part it's the same for every rom with exception to a few. but again you do all this on your own. btw this will pop your warrenty counter but if your sure about what your doing and your warrenty is up. might as well pop it.

yeah I bought the phone used heavily on eBay, I guess I want to make it look like i never rooted it, in the future when I want to sell it or however much I can get it (phone is kinda beat up)

What I want to do is install Sky Note Air on my 4.1.2 BL without going to 4.3 BL (I hate that thing with all the stories I've heard). I wonder if I can flash Sky Air with TWRP or if I need Mobile Odin in order to do it without touching my BL?

OvrDriVE

Sep 8, 2012
Fresno
yeah I bought the phone used heavily on eBay, I guess I want to make it look like i never rooted it, in the future when I want to sell it or however much I can get it (phone is kinda beat up)

What I want to do is install Sky Note Air on my 4.1.2 BL without going to 4.3 BL (I hate that thing with all the stories I've heard). I wonder if I can flash Sky Air with TWRP or if I need Mobile Odin in order to do it without touching my BL?

as long as the rom your trying to flash isn't a 4.3 rom you should be good on the counter. flash counter can be reset with triangle away and the warrenty counter only gets poped on 4.3 roms. 4.1.2 and 4.1.1 are fine. flash a custom recovery and flash any older rom and you should be fine

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
as long as the rom your trying to flash isn't a 4.3 rom you should be good on the counter. flash counter can be reset with triangle away and the warrenty counter only gets poped on 4.3 roms. 4.1.2 and 4.1.1 are fine. flash a custom recovery and flash any older rom and you should be fine

OH yeah the Sky Note Air is a 4.3 ROM I just want to put it on a 4.1.2 BL

edo101

Oct 26, 2013

what is the efs partition?

OvrDriVE

Sep 8, 2012
Fresno
efs holds all your t-mobile settings. or at&t or whichever company you go through. backing it up is just a precautionary thing. you do it just in case it gets messed up so you can restore it

i found the program i mentioned works and can restore it from your backed up file so

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
Flashing almost any custom ROM will increment the flash counter on any GN2. If you have the Knox bootloader it will also pop the Knox warranty bit.

The flash counter can be reset by using triangle away. No biggie. Knox can't be reset at this time. I avoid doing anything that would install the 4.3 Knox enabled bootloader it at all possible. If I need to return to stock for whatever reason I simple flash MrRobinson's root66 ROM (stock plus root) and triangle away my flash counter clean then unroot my phone to stock. No way to tell I was not on official firmware with it.

TWRP is not an application. It is a custom recovery like CWM etc. It can functionally do anything the stock recovery can and more. You have to use a custom recovery to flash a custom ROM on the gn2 with very few exceptions.

Stock recovery can be restored via an Odin flash of root66 or the Sammy stock ROM. I usually do root66 so triangle away can clean up the counter and still have stock recovery so as to avoid incrementing the counter after clearing it.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
Flashing almost any custom ROM will increment the flash counter on any GN2. If you have the Knox bootloader it will also pop the Knox warranty bit.

The flash counter can be reset by using triangle away. No biggie. Knox can't be reset at this time. I avoid doing anything that would install the 4.3 Knox enabled bootloader it at all possible. If I need to return to stock for whatever reason I simple flash MrRobinson's root66 ROM (stock plus root) and triangle away my flash counter clean then unroot my phone to stock. No way to tell I was not on official firmware with it.

TWRP is not an application. It is a custom recovery like CWM etc. It can functionally do anything the stock recovery can and more. You have to use a custom recovery to flash a custom ROM on the gn2 with very few exceptions.

Stock recovery can be restored via an Odin flash of root66 or the Sammy stock ROM. I usually do root66 so triangle away can clean up the counter and still have stock recovery so as to avoid incrementing the counter after clearing it.

Any tips as to why my 4G Modem is not working with the Sky Note 4.3 based ROM. Everything else is working except for the modem. I'm still on 4.1.2 BL it looks like (not sure how to check) but my mobile stuff is in tact. It just says mobile network state (disconnected) but all my phone info is correct. It even still has my MetroPCS/Tmo as my Network

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
Any tips as to why my 4G Modem is not working with the Sky Note 4.3 based ROM. Everything else is working except for the modem. I'm still on 4.1.2 BL it looks like (not sure how to check) but my mobile stuff is in tact. It just says mobile network state (disconnected) but all my phone info is correct. It even still has my MetroPCS/Tmo as my Network

Probably that your APN is wrong.

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
You were right. I googled Metro APN and now its working. THANK YOU!!

Btw any chance you know how to change my phone to read as a Tmobile phone instead of AT&T?

Build.prop edit. Do a nandroid backup first, if you make a mistake you can have problems. Reboot into android. Save a copy of the file as build.bak then edit the build.prop so that any reference to SGH-i317 is changed to SGH-T889. Also anything that shows t0lte or anything similar can be changed to t0ltetmo. There are editor apps in the play store.

If things go bad, simply restore back to your nandroid via recovery. No fuss, no muss.

Last edited: