[Q] Help me figure out why my battery is so bad

Search This thread

AngelsNecropolis

Apr 8, 2012
8hrs and 15% left? That sounded pretty good to me! =p Before rooting and flashing the latest AOKP ICS I was getting 5hrs or less and I'm a heavy text and data user. I'm getting 8hrs now. But I have backup batteries I can use incase I'm not able to charge.

6 hrs and at 66% would mean about an 18hr battery life. That's 10 more hrs per charge than I get and I'm happy with my phone. Maybe you're expectations are too high of the battery. Especially when you state you seem to have this problem with all your phones.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

PizzaAmerican23

Aug 13, 2010
FWIW, Wifi is a battery killer, I had the worst habit of leaving it on and my battery surely paid for it. I found this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.diordsoft.wifiauto&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5kaW9yZHNvZnQud2lmaWF1dG8iXQ.. that will turn it on only when connected to a charger. If I am somewhere that has a hotspot, I use a toggle for it, if I need to download something.

I get about 2 days out of a full battery charge (light use), using the NEAK Kernel (and it was about the same with Siyah RC5).

Wink

3G/4G > Wifi in terms of battery consumption.

However, if the signal is weak, your wifi radio will struggle to maintain the connection. Thus draining more battery.

Sent from my SGH-I777

Either way, disabled or enabled, problem is still there. And from previous experience, 3g has used more battery than wifi.

My daughters captivate had a similar problem and it was pissing me off, finally somebody told me to check the battery by spinning it, if it spins at all its bad well it was only 6 months old and it spun alomost 3x my sgs2 battery didnt spin at all and has been fine.
how do you "spin" a battery?

8hrs and 15% left? That sounded pretty good to me! =p Before rooting and flashing the latest AOKP ICS I was getting 5hrs or less and I'm a heavy text and data user. I'm getting 8hrs now. But I have backup batteries I can use incase I'm not able to charge.

6 hrs and at 66% would mean about an 18hr battery life. That's 10 more hrs per charge than I get and I'm happy with my phone. Maybe you're expectations are too high of the battery. Especially when you state you seem to have this problem with all your phones.

Jesis christ thats awful. I know my battery life is bad because it was fine before, but now **** the bed. I would get about 1-2% drain per hour if the phone was on standby. Now i get like 5-6%, theres a problem.

Im beginning to think the problem is google voice. I feel like im tied to that app, since i use it as my main number, but boy does that app suck balls. Its slower than hell, sometimes doesnt get texts, etc etc etc. I would try uninstalling it, but i sorta NEED it.

But again, like ive stated before. Can someone help me determine whats wrong based on FACTS, and not pure speculation.... (eg. looking at actual numbers etc.)

veliksam

Aug 8, 2009
Orlando
I've been having a similar problem ics, i was on unnamed 1.3.2 and battery life was good (14-20 hours ), then i tried some of the att ics leaks as well as shostock ics, with all of the roms my battery was getting sucked dry by my wifi, i switched it off and i went from 20% drain per hour to just 4. I still don't know what's causing the wifi to be on constantly. For now I'll just keep it off (thank God i still have unlimited data).
Btw, when ever i tried going back on unnamed i again had good battery life. currently I'm on the latest ics leak using latest siyah kernel.

Last edited:

PizzaAmerican23

Aug 13, 2010
this is BS, yesterday i went from 100% to 15% in 8 hours, on pretty much NO use on AOKP. No one can help me with what the problem, and afaik its unsolvable.

I was excited for the next galaxy s phone to be announced, but you know what, i could care less now. Specs dont mean **** when your running a buggy peice of garbage operating system.

The idea of android is nice, and when working properly, its awesome, but its not worth the headache of getting it there.

-future iphone5 user

Last edited by a moderator:

Plasmamuffins

Apr 7, 2010
this is BS, yesterday i went from 100% to 15% in 8 hours, on pretty much NO use on AOKP. No one can help me with what the problem, and afaik its unsolvable.

I was excited for the next galaxy s phone to be announced, but you know what, i could care less now. Specs dont mean **** when your running a buggy peice of garbage operating system.

The idea of android is nice, and when working properly, its awesome, but its not worth the headache of getting it there.

-future iphone5 user

Look. Stock Android is very stable, and it has to be for Samsung (and other manufacturers) to sell their products. Nobody wants to buy a buggy piece of garbage.

Flashing and such is going out of most peoples comfort zones. However, one should expect bugs and errors when flashing. It's all about trial and error. I've had this phone for only a month, and I've already flashed every rom and every kernel to see which combination would give me the best battery and performance.

AOKP + N.E.A.K.s kernel on lulzactive is giving me amazing battery life. Before that, the trials I ran were giving me horrible battery life.

You just have to have patience. There's no use coming on here to flame about the operating system when you aren't even running stock. Wanna buy an iPhone? Fine. Eventually you'll complain that you can't tweak anything.

Sent from my SGH-I777

Reactions: xhepera

Phalanx7621

Jul 17, 2011
Delaware
OnePlus 8 Pro
Google Pixel 5a
3250b78d-433b-f4d4.jpg

PizzaAmerican23

Aug 13, 2010
Look. Stock Android is very stable, and it has to be for Samsung (and other manufacturers) to sell their products. Nobody wants to buy a buggy piece of garbage.

Flashing and such is going out of most peoples comfort zones. However, one should expect bugs and errors when flashing. It's all about trial and error. I've had this phone for only a month, and I've already flashed every rom and every kernel to see which combination would give me the best battery and performance.

AOKP + N.E.A.K.s kernel on lulzactive is giving me amazing battery life. Before that, the trials I ran were giving me horrible battery life.

You just have to have patience. There's no use coming on here to flame about the operating system when you aren't even running stock. Wanna buy an iPhone? Fine. Eventually you'll complain that you can't tweak anything.

Sent from my SGH-I777

Almost 2 years of "being patient" with this phone and then the captivate. Been though more roms and kernels than i can remember, and one thing hold true, **** just *** up randomly for no reason.

Just uninstalled a few games (nothing out of the ordinary - zombievielle, dead space, wheres my water, etc), and now my battery is almost back to normal. make sense? no.

I installed them a while ago, and havent used any of them in a long time. Also - was there any indication of them running in my bbs or cpuspy? NOPE, because apparently there both worth **** too. Either that or no one knows how to interpret what data it ****s out, also making it worthless.

This phone is so temperamental that i dont want to do anything with it, and in that case - why even have a smart phone.

Android needs to get its **** together, or windows phone 8 is going to take its place. Im all for have all this freedom, but android should enforce some standards with *** carriers and manufacturers so its OS works slightly less horrible.

I was almost considering side-grading to a GNex, but for one, i dont want a bigger phone with software buttons, and two i dont think itll fix my problems.

Plasmamuffins

Apr 7, 2010
Almost 2 years of "being patient" with this phone and then the captivate. Been though more roms and kernels than i can remember, and one thing hold true, **** just *** up randomly for no reason.

Just uninstalled a few games (nothing out of the ordinary - zombievielle, dead space, wheres my water, etc), and now my battery is almost back to normal. make sense? no.

I installed them a while ago, and havent used any of them in a long time. Also - was there any indication of them running in my bbs or cpuspy? NOPE, because apparently there both worth **** too. Either that or no one knows how to interpret what data it ****s out, also making it worthless.

This phone is so temperamental that i dont want to do anything with it, and in that case - why even have a smart phone.

Android needs to get its **** together, or windows phone 8 is going to take its place. Im all for have all this freedom, but android should enforce some standards with *** carriers and manufacturers so its OS works slightly less horrible.

I was almost considering side-grading to a GNex, but for one, i dont want a bigger phone with software buttons, and two i dont think itll fix my problems.

Once again, if you don't want things to mess up, don't flash, because it's a given. Nothing will be 100% working.

Sent from my SGH-I777

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
I don't really understand what happening in the head of some people now :(
Seriously!
I think they have too many choices, too much freedom too much of free time so they just whine constantly :(
I've been on many forums from electronic to automobile, once in a while (I said "once" but actually it happen a lot) I've seen people:
+ bought a low-end gps then installed some hackware, thing didn't turn out well, they started screaming "Garmin suck", "Tomtom suck"
+ dude bought an Accord, rip it apart to install supercharger and didn't even care if it was doable or not. Failed then screaming "Honda suck" "Honda shyt"
+ guy that purchase smartphone, constantly jumped on any released ROM w/o even think "would it work for my device", just wanted to fly ahead of others, flashed and flashed and flashed and failed then screaming "Samsung suck" "Android suck"

Do they really have that kind of thinking in mind?
Why can they just take a mere minute to think?
If they bought a product, open the box, it fails then they can complain, nobody says anything but if they bought a product, open it up, rip it apart and unable to make it work flawlessly due to their ability or availability, why the fck they screaming about.
THINK.

To our member lourivelli above, I strongly suggest you throw away the Android unit, immediately buy an iPhone and pls don't jailbreak it since I really don't want to hear you screaming "iPhone suck, SGS4/5/6/7 here I come"

Phalanx7621

Jul 17, 2011
Delaware
OnePlus 8 Pro
Google Pixel 5a
Seriously!
I think they have too many choices, too much freedom too much of free time so they just whine constantly :(
I've been on many forums from electronic to automobile, once in a while (I said "once" but actually it happen a lot) I've seen people:
+ bought a low-end gps then installed some hackware, thing didn't turn out well, they started screaming "Garmin suck", "Tomtom suck"
+ dude bought an Accord, rip it apart to install supercharger and didn't even care if it was doable or not. Failed then screaming "Honda suck" "Honda shyt"
+ guy that purchase smartphone, constantly jumped on any released ROM w/o even think "would it work for my device", just wanted to fly ahead of others, flashed and flashed and flashed and failed then screaming "Samsung suck" "Android suck"

If they bought a product, open the box, it fails then they can complain, nobody says anything but if they bought a product, open it up, rip it apart and unable to make it work flawlessly due to their ability or availability, why the fck they screaming about.
THINK.

To our member lourivelli above, I strongly suggest you throw away the Android unit, immediately buy an iPhone and pls don't jailbreak it since I really don't want to hear you screaming "iPhone suck, SGS4/5/6/7 here I come"

Your English is terrible. But you are my fecking hero for this post. I love u. This is like exactly what I believe. But in my brain the grammatical errors don't exist. :p

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
Your English is terrible. But you are my fecking hero for this post. I love u. This is like exactly what I believe. But in my brain the grammatical errors don't exist. :p

Since people start using "would off" or "would of" instead of "would have", I'm not bother checking grammar, LOL :D, but again, I take it as my bad :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    facebook isnt the problem, i installed it only after relazing my battery sucks, and it wouldnt make a difference either way.

The point of the thread was to actually make sense of what bbs spits out, as of right now i have no clue what that crap means, and thoeries of why my battery sucks are just pure speculation.

Switching roms may or may not help me, but i at least want to know WHY...

There's a nice long thread called "Known identified battery drainers" that will give you info on Wireshark, BBS, drainers, and other information. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1308030.
    Seriously!

THINK.

Your drain is from the wifi not sleeping. Use wifi only when you need to, it uses MUCH more power than 2/3/4g. What's happening is that your wifi isn't entering sleep mode, so while your phone is sleeping, your wifi is still pumping out huge amounts of data. Literally your entire drain problem. Uckk6 had a bug that prevented wifi from sleeping if it got de bloated. Sadly stock kk6 which came out as an ota stone time ago, didn't have this bug. Since then it's been fixed in some roms. To fix this issue a newer ROM is required. Either that our very sparing wifi use. If you turn wifi off when you are not using it, your battery life should jump to fifteen hours early, if not more.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

-future iphone5 user

Sent from my SGH-I777