[ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview (Toroplus port)

Search This thread

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
Props goes to eng.stk for how to unofficially flash the GSM images. I have modified his quote to include this devices links, and Im' sorry for not asking to quote him. The only credit I take is for modifying one line to make it flash to our devices. The rest goes to the UbuntuOS team and eng.stk
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=38285911#post38285911
For people wondering about install (tried with TWRP):

1. Nandroid backup
2. Factory Reset
3. Grab toroplus_ubuntu.zip and quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip
4. Flash toroplus_ubuntu.zip
5. Flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (this one will take a while, grab some coffee :laugh:)
6. Reboot (screen will go black but after a few seconds Ubuntu is up)
7. Profit :highfive:

This install didn't wiped my sdcard. I just restored my TWRP backup after a short Ubuntu testdrive.
If you are paranoid, just copy your stuff from SDCARD to your PC before flashing.

Quote modified to include CORRECT links for our build. I left the rest in tact.

The only thing I did was modify the line so that the zip would be willing to flash to the toroplus. It does not have CMDA/LTE connection, but it does flash and work on WIFI just fine. With it's limited uses ATM, I believe that getting working radios would be useless, and I only have a Verizon toro (though I know for a fact that this boots). Try it and see what I mean. Do not wipe system, or it will not boot.

Thanks to warp64 for being the first tester to upload a picture.
IMG_20130221_183634.jpg

Verizon thread is here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=38300019
Questions?

Last edited:

stevie13.xo

Mar 9, 2012
Re: UbuntuOS (Toroplus)

The only thing I did was modify the line so that the zip would be willing to flash to the toroplus. It does not have CMDA/LTE connection, but it does flash and work on WIFI just fine. With it's limited uses ATM, I believe that getting working radios would be useless, and I only have a Verizon toro (though I know for a fact that this boots). Try it and see what I mean. Do not wipe system, or it will not boot.

Screenshot was on my Verizon galaxy Nexus, this build is for the SPRINT VERSION ONLY!
IMG_20130221_131155.jpg

Verizon thread is here
Questions?

I am so ready to try this just wish it had a working phone connection

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Reactions: CCollado and warp64

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
If I can get a toro phone working, I'll come try this with a helper, but I don't own this, and can't manage to get the toro working (Even though I ported a GSM android rom to verizon, no clue). It could be the base image. I'll work on it further once we get a more fully functioning GSM release. It's good for all developers now thaugh as long as you don't need CDMA features as WIFI still works fine.

eisenbathb

May 1, 2012
St. Louis
Re: UbuntuOS (Toroplus)

Will we have to flash the zips each time to boot it or could we make a nandroid of it and just flash back?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

warp64

UbuntuOS (Toroplus)

It will run somewhat on the Sprint Samsung Nexus! Was able to connect to my homes network. Also was able to log in to facebook . Made a backup of my CM10.1 with CWM. Was able to install and boot the Ubuntu OS.I then made a backup of Ubuntu, and was able to restore my CM10.1 with CWM. Cant wait for the A** kicking Devs of XDA to get their teeth on this!! Would be great to be able to duelboot both OS on my Nexus! BTW,MY HAT IS OFF TO kdb424 FOR posting this!! :good:

Attachments

• IMG_20130221_183634.jpg
    IMG_20130221_183634.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 2,986
  • IMG_20130221_184339.jpg
    IMG_20130221_184339.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 2,959
  • IMG_20130221_184120.jpg
    IMG_20130221_184120.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 2,779
Last edited:
Reactions: info[]box1

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
Will we have to flash the zips each time to boot it or could we make a nandroid of it and just flash back?

Works just like an android ROM and in fact, has some parts of Cyanogenmod in it (check the build.prop if you don't believe me).

Kdb I love you no homo.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Just doin my job.

It will run somewhat on the Sprint Samsung Nexus! Was able to connect to my homes network. Also was able to log in to facebook . Made a backup of my CM10.1 with CWM. Was able to install and boot the Ubuntu OS.I then made a backup of Ubuntu, and was able to restore my CM10.1 with CWM. Cant wait for the A** kicking Devs of XDA to get their teeth on this!! Would be great to be able to duelboot both OS on my Nexus! BTW,MY HAT IS OFF TO kdb424 FOR posting this!! :good:

It's not gonna be much better untill they have a full release. It's not open source quite yet, nor is it ready to use even on GSM. Once the full release and source comes out, we will all have a field day. I MAY (no promise) be able to get calls/texts working on this after their porting guide comes online. I may have just done something dumb. I'll keep the first post up to date.

Reactions: sednafx and warp64

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
OnePlus 9 Pro

Screenshot was on my Verizon galaxy Nexus, this build is for the SPRINT VERSION ONLY!

Verizon thread is here
Questions?

A link to my original post and thank the original poster thingy would be nice, since I was the guy testing it and all...
Changing people's posts without permission isn't nice...

Last edited:

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh

BTW, may I post one of those pictures in tho OP to prevent confusion?

Reactions: warp64

warp64

A link to my original post and thank the original poster thingy would be nice, since I was the guy testing it and all...
Changing people's posts without permission isn't nice...

Great Job eng.stk !!!!!!

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

BTW, may I post one of those pictures in tho OP to prevent confusion?

If your talking about the sprint nexus No Problem!!

Reactions: eng.stk

wotandsdwys

May 9, 2010
Wow. That was pretty slick. Kinda difficult to get used to the gesture based ui. Its really snappy even though its still got its bugs.

I can't wait until the full release and support for CDMA networks.

And the sidebar dock like Ubuntu os is really nice too.

Definitely something different which is good. And even without cell connection, I like it better than iOS. HA

And coming from the Epic Touch, a 500mb ROM didnt even hit me as being huge. Most touchwiz ROMs are close to that size.

phishfi

Jul 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
It is fun to wipe your device for broken isnt it!

Wait wut?? Not sure what you mean but it worked alright. Only problems I noticed were that I couldn't install the apps listed under " available downloads", and I definitely still need cell service.

Either way, restoring was absolutely painless, so I don't know what toity mean by broken...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Props goes to eng.stk for how to unofficially flash the GSM images. I have modified his quote to include this devices links, and Im' sorry for not asking to quote him. The only credit I take is for modifying one line to make it flash to our devices. The rest goes to the UbuntuOS team and eng.stk
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=38285911#post38285911
    For people wondering about install (tried with TWRP):

1. Nandroid backup
    2. Factory Reset
    3. Grab toroplus_ubuntu.zip and quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip
    4. Flash toroplus_ubuntu.zip
    5. Flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (this one will take a while, grab some coffee :laugh:)
    6. Reboot (screen will go black but after a few seconds Ubuntu is up)
    7. Profit :highfive:

This install didn't wiped my sdcard. I just restored my TWRP backup after a short Ubuntu testdrive.
    If you are paranoid, just copy your stuff from SDCARD to your PC before flashing.

Thanks to warp64 for being the first tester to upload a picture.
    IMG_20130221_183634.jpg

Verizon thread is here
    Questions?
    Someone is gonna smile a little... I got the CDMA radio online but it crashed the entire os shortly after boot. No time to log anything and the log was gone gone. Little more tweaking. Had no data. And honestly no cell. I'll see if I can debug what renders the system down
    Toroplus zip

The toroplus_Ubuntu.zip file link seems to be broken, down anyone have a working link to the file?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r545g3j790yfw6a/toroplus_ubuntu.zip
    Here you go, thankfully i had it in my dropbox.
    Well I guess if no one has had any luck porting radios then we need a little more work. I'll jump in and see what I can get
    u6etaryp.jpg

While we wait for Ubuntu, there's Glovebox from the Play Store.