[Guide] INCREASING INTERNAL MEMORY

Search This thread

acermedo

Aug 18, 2013
Cairo
THIS GUIDE IS TO SHOW YOU HOW TO INCREASE INTERNAL MEMORY OF ANY ANDROID DEVICE BY PARTITIONING

Note
  • This guide will partition your sdcard to make a part of your sdcard works like the internal memory that you can move your apps to it.
  • This guide will never increase the real internal memory (Storage in taskmanger) as it is impossible to be done.

First,

you have to do is to partition your SD Card and for doing this you have to: Download Mini tool Partition.

2- Install the application on your PC and connect your SD card to your PC with Card Reader.

3- Open Mini Tool Partition in your PC and when the wizards open click on your SD Card and select Delete option. !!!(Note: This will format your SD Card completely mean that it will erase your data permanently, so before doing this backup your data at any place in PC or other Storage device.) When the Formatting of your SD Card is completed then, you have whole of space of your SD Card as unallocated

4- then Right click SD Card and select create option. A popup box will open giving you options for making partition; select the partition as primary and file system as FAT if SD Card is less than 4GB or FAT32 if your SD Card is more than 4GB. Leave about 512 MB or more space (your choice) for creating the next partition.

5- Then select done and do right click on unallocated space of your SD Card and again click create option. Select Primary partition but change the file system to Ext2, Ext3 or Ext4. Note: (Ext2 is recommended as most ROMs work fine with it). Click Apply Changes and then process goes on for the few minutes and then partition is completed.

6- Install Link2sd from Google Play
On the first launch of the app, it will ask for root permissions and then, it will ask you the file system of the .ext partition that you had earlier made, choose the option as you had choose in the partitioning steps.

Sort the apps according to size and start linking them and then you have done your task.

Now you have your Phone’s Internal Memory+ Ext file size made by you in your SD Card. Now you can move your apps from your device memory to SD Card and simultaneously your device speed will also be increased. :D

I know there are many posts like this post but hit thanks button if you see mine first :D

Last edited:

vikraminside

Jul 9, 2013
OP should give credits to actual OP who took pain to create screenshots.

Also guys dont select storage as "external" in auto link. Link2sd dev recommends "internal" storage to avoid conflicts. Also I see this increases space in internal in storage info.

Ext2 fills up. You see widgets for all linked apps :) as phone assumes app installed as internal memory.

Also linking better than native app2sd or move to sd method and it retains apps in memory even if sd card is removed!!! during usb connection according to dev.

Read link2sd FAQ very helpful. :thumbup:

God is Original Developer :)

neier24

Apr 8, 2013
But this process requires you to already have a bit of space on internal storage, and only then move the apps.

Reactions: Yogesh1969

krissebesta

Mar 11, 2011
Also use FolderMount to move huge OBB and DATA files to SD card

I've been using FolderMount along with Link2SD. FolderMount allows you to also move the HUGE OBB and DATA files that large games often make you download (some up to 2 GB!!!) Link2SD does not link these large files (it links APK and other smaller files) so they work together beautifully. Together they are truly huge space savers! Just search for FolderMount on the Play store.

Cheers!!! ;)

thegreeat

Sep 25, 2012
Chennai
already I have created a partition for 512 mb and I am using Link2sd. Is this now possible to extended the partition with or without loosing the data ?

Retro Gamer

Jan 7, 2012
Thats a good question. There is always a possibility to lose data stored in a partition when resizing any partition file system where it be Linux EXT2,3,4 or Windows Fat and Ntfs. Backup the data in there if you can before attempting it. I personally would use gparted since its already in all my installed linux distros already, but the free Minitool partition editor for Windows looks pretty awesome! It says it easily supports resize/move of partition without data loss so its possible. Just make sure you backup the whole card IE all data on both partitions just in case. Good luck.

already I have created a partition for 512 mb and I am using Link2sd. Is this now possible to extended the partition with or without loosing the data ?

aashay960

Mar 25, 2013
Mumbai
Do I absolutely have to use a card reader for this? Can't I use the mount usb storage option from my phone? Either way, the card shows up as an external drive doesn't it?

Retro Gamer

Jan 7, 2012
AualSciaespecially

I can't wait to do this after I root my HUAWEI H881C. I got it a week ago and free internal space for apps and data is rather small at about(?) 512MB total. After factory installed apps and such I was left with about 384Mb to start with. I can be a app whore. I haven't download too many games on google play yet because of internal storage limits. Even with those limits I do have Doom, Quake 1, 2, and 3 installed off the SD card along with my dosbox, snes, sega, psx and n64 emulators and roms with no problems.

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
I have been using link2sd since abandoning Froyo. Now on cm10.2.

One thing of which to know and be carefull: Link2sd's Achilles Heel.

When flashing a new ROM on rebuilding the dalvik cache for any reason, all the linked dalviks (dex) must fit on internal storage. If one has linked more than can fit, internal storage will run out and crash bang. I have requested of the devs to facilitate treating this within link2sd but so far, has not been implemented so the manual procedure would be:

A. Prevention! If playing with experimental ROMs often, pull the /data/sdext2/dalvik-cache folder and see how big it is. Make sure that the internal space available is say 20meg more than this. No problem.

B. If not possible or simply must have all the goodies installed now, here it what to do:
1. Show linked apps in dex-size order.
2. Multiselect enough of the largest ones to meet the 20meg condition.
3. Remove them.

After flashing, rebuilding the dalvik cache.
4. Relink current dalvik. Now have lots of room again.
5. Restore the removed apps and data, relink them. Note: Titanium is your best friend!

'Twould be nice if a future link2sd version would warn us and if need be, do this for us :)

Retro Gamer

Jan 7, 2012
FYI I just did that very same thing just leaving the card in the phone and using the minitool. It seems to have worked just fine even with resizing the fat32 partition already there and creating a Ext2 out of the room I freed up.

Do I absolutely have to use a card reader for this? Can't I use the mount usb storage option from my phone? Either way, the card shows up as an external drive doesn't it?

Reactions: aashay960

aashay960

Mar 25, 2013
Mumbai
FYI I just did that very same thing just leaving the card in the phone and using the minitool. It seems to have worked just fine even with resizing the fat32 partition already there and creating a Ext2 out of the room I freed up.
Quick question - If you resize the partition which is already there, making space for a new one, will you lose all the data that is there in the card?

Retro Gamer

Jan 7, 2012
I answered that question in my last 2 reply posts. I just did this very thing without any problems or data loss, then went on to root my phone. It all took 20mins and I did copy my sd card contents to a dir in my PC just in case.

There is a always a chance for things to go wrong, but at the very least make a folder on your PC label cellback or something, connect your phone(with card) to PC & just copy all contents from your existing card in phone to that folder you made. Then in partition editor select the drive that is your SD card, resize it leaving left over space behind it. Use that free unallocated space to create a the new PRIMARY ext2 drive. Good luck.

Quick question - If you resize the partition which is already there, making space for a new one, will you lose all the data that is there in the card?

Reactions: aashay960
Jun 26, 2013
Nairobi
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Clockwork Recovery

To partition, you don't necessarily have to use a 3rd party PC based partitioning tool.
If your phone is rooted, with Clockwork Recovery flashed, you can simply:

a)Backup your Sd Card on another device.(As warned, the process wipes the sd card clean)
b)Reboot your device into Recovery mode.
c)Select Advanced, then Partition SD Card
d)First menu lets you choose the size of the ext
e)Second menu lets you choose the size of the swap file.

When your done partitioning, you will have both an ext and a swap file, no 3rd party partitioning app needed.

You'll need an app like Swapper2 for the swap partition and the aforementioned Link2Sd for the ext

Hit thanks if this helps. :highfive::good:

neier24

Apr 8, 2013
To partition, you don't necessarily have to use a 3rd party PC based partitioning tool.

a)Backup your Sd Card on another device.(As warned, the process wipes the sd card clean)

When your done partitioning, you will have both an ext and a swap file, no 3rd party partitioning app needed.

You'll need an app like Swapper2 for the swap partition and the aforementioned Link2Sd for the ext

Thanks. When step d) is completed... what happens with the partition that was created... is mounted on the micro sd card, as a partition on itself?

I have another question. Is there an app/way to install directly to micro sd card, as if there is no need to move the apps later, because they go where is needed to in the first place?

Is there a way to move dalvik cache as well?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS GUIDE IS TO SHOW YOU HOW TO INCREASE INTERNAL MEMORY OF ANY ANDROID DEVICE BY PARTITIONING

Note
    • This guide will partition your sdcard to make a part of your sdcard works like the internal memory that you can move your apps to it.
    • This guide will never increase the real internal memory (Storage in taskmanger) as it is impossible to be done.

First,

you have to do is to partition your SD Card and for doing this you have to: Download Mini tool Partition.

2- Install the application on your PC and connect your SD card to your PC with Card Reader.

3- Open Mini Tool Partition in your PC and when the wizards open click on your SD Card and select Delete option. !!!(Note: This will format your SD Card completely mean that it will erase your data permanently, so before doing this backup your data at any place in PC or other Storage device.) When the Formatting of your SD Card is completed then, you have whole of space of your SD Card as unallocated

4- then Right click SD Card and select create option. A popup box will open giving you options for making partition; select the partition as primary and file system as FAT if SD Card is less than 4GB or FAT32 if your SD Card is more than 4GB. Leave about 512 MB or more space (your choice) for creating the next partition.

5- Then select done and do right click on unallocated space of your SD Card and again click create option. Select Primary partition but change the file system to Ext2, Ext3 or Ext4. Note: (Ext2 is recommended as most ROMs work fine with it). Click Apply Changes and then process goes on for the few minutes and then partition is completed.

6- Install Link2sd from Google Play
    On the first launch of the app, it will ask for root permissions and then, it will ask you the file system of the .ext partition that you had earlier made, choose the option as you had choose in the partitioning steps.

Sort the apps according to size and start linking them and then you have done your task.

Now you have your Phone’s Internal Memory+ Ext file size made by you in your SD Card. Now you can move your apps from your device memory to SD Card and simultaneously your device speed will also be increased. :D

I know there are many posts like this post but hit thanks button if you see mine first :D
    OP should give credits to actual OP who took pain to create screenshots.

Also guys dont select storage as "external" in auto link. Link2sd dev recommends "internal" storage to avoid conflicts. Also I see this increases space in internal in storage info.

Ext2 fills up. You see widgets for all linked apps :) as phone assumes app installed as internal memory.

Also linking better than native app2sd or move to sd method and it retains apps in memory even if sd card is removed!!! during usb connection according to dev.

Read link2sd FAQ very helpful. :thumbup:

God is Original Developer :)
    Also use FolderMount to move huge OBB and DATA files to SD card

I've been using FolderMount along with Link2SD. FolderMount allows you to also move the HUGE OBB and DATA files that large games often make you download (some up to 2 GB!!!) Link2SD does not link these large files (it links APK and other smaller files) so they work together beautifully. Together they are truly huge space savers! Just search for FolderMount on the Play store.

Cheers!!! ;)
    Clockwork Recovery

Nice guide.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app

....HIT THANKS IF I HELPED....

Sent from my GT-B5512 using xda premium