[Guide/tutorial] Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 Any version to Android 7.1/LineageOS14.1

Search This thread

djibe89

May 24, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 4a
[Guide] Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 Android 7.1 Nougat/Lineage OS 14.1
[Guide/Tutorial/Howto] Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 Any version to Android 7.1 Nougat without PC

This detailed step-by-step guide helps you transform your Samsung Galaxy S2 i-9100/i-9100P to a powerful one with Android 7.1 Nougat.
Verify your phone is i9100 or i9100P before going further : when you Power on phone, it is written Galaxy SII i9100.

The flashing of recovery is a bit tricky but none of the S2 I had were recognised by the PC. So this tutorial is PC free.
If your S2 is recognised by PC, it's easier to flash directly TWRP recovery using Odin or Heimdall https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75002977&postcount=343

CHANGELOG OF TUTORIAL
v10. Updated pack with TWRP 3.3.1-0
v9. Updated to Unofficial LOS 14.1
v8. Removed Dorimanx kernel (not maintained)
v7. Added Google Play certification (use instructions with my v5 pack below)
v6. Switched to Dorimanx kernel, swteaks, enhenced tutorial thx to feedback, introduced md5 signatures, Stweaks included
v5. Overclock and optimize
v4. Simpler repit, 2 profiles for repit included
v3.5. More custom partitions, kernel for Android N 1.3
v3. Moved to Lineage OS 14.1, Skyline custom kernel, TWRP 3.1 by the.gangster
v2. Added latest repit, added walkthrough for possible errors
v1. Initial release

1 ) DOWNLOAD ---------------------
- djibe Galaxy S2 i9100 pack (53 MB) v5 : http://bit.ly/GalaxyS2djibepackv5
(contains Philz Touch recovery + kernel Lanchon IsoRec CM13 + the.gangster IsoRec TWRP 3.3.1-0 recovery + lanchon repit djibe edit standard or prefered + Su for LOS 14.1 + Samsung drivers).

- ROM Unofficial Lineage OS 14.1 for GalaxyS2 i9100 : https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=302540&sort_by=date&sort_dir=DESC
Or AOKP : https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/development-derivatives/rom-aokp-rom-t3606915

- OpenGApps ARM 7.1 pico (alternatives: Pico, Micro) : https://opengapps.org/?arch=arm&api=7.1&variant=pico

- a microSD card. Copy Philz Touch recovery + kernel Lanchon IsoRec CM13 + the.gangster IsoRec TWRP 3.3.1-0 recovery + lanchon repit djibe edit standard or prefered + Su for LOS 14.1 AND THEIR RESPECTIVE md5 files from my pack on microSD card and insert it in phone.
- Charge phone to 100 %

WARNING. Read carefully the sentences starting with ###.
### It will not work if your phone is encrypted. Uncrypt it before starting this tutorial.
### This tutorial works without a PC. So it will work if (like me) you get "Unknown USB device error" message when plugging phone in Windows.
### Warranty is now void.
### Later in this tutorial, if you get error : "Failed to mount */data* (No such device)", just reformat Data partition to Ext4 (Using lanchon-repit's script or TWRP recovery).

2 ) BACKUP DATA -------------------
Install Samsung drivers (you unzipped earlier).
Then plug phone to PC in File transfer mode.
Collect all .jpg or .mp4

Use an app like Backupyourmobile to backup texts, contacts, etc.
Check that backup is located on microSD card.
Then copy the backup on your PC.

3 ) FLASH RECOVERY, KERNEL AND RE-PARTITION----------------
We gonna repartition phone to reduce an unused preload partition of 512 Mo (stored Samsung updates that no more exist).
We gonna increase system partition to 1 GB so Android 7.1 and Gapps have enough space.
We gonna increase data partition so you can have all the apps you like.
ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE LOST.

FLASH RECOVERY FROM STOCK RECOVERY ----
Shut down phone.
Power it back on in recovery mode : Use Volume+ + Home + Power buttons and release them when you see Galaxy S2 logo.
### Alternative and easier process if your S2 can be recognized by PC using Heimdall : https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75002977&postcount=343
Then wait till the recovery launches.
### If you already have a custom recovery, go to the mark -!-!- below.

Using default recovery, use volume buttons to navigate and power to confirm,
install zip -> choose Philz_touch_6.48*.zip and install it.
When its done, shut down phone, restart in recovery mode. You are now in the Philz touch recovery.

### If it fails, you need to install CWM recovery using Odin software and SGS2 in Download mode.
### Use a good tutorial for Odin and SGS2 i9100 recovery flashing.
### Download CWM for Odin : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934516900
### Once finished, continue operations below as if you had Philz recovery.

In Philz touch recovery (or your recovery -!-!-) : go to Wipe -> format /cache and format /system partitions.
Then back to install zip -> Flash kernel-lanchon*.zip (FLASH IT OR TWRP RECOVERY WON'T LAUNCH AND PHONE WILL BE BRICKED),
then flash recovery recovery-the.gangster-IsoRec-TWRP-3.1.0-0-i9100.zip.

Reboot phone to recovery again, it is now TWRP 3.1.0-0 Recovery !!!
Swipe to unlock filesystem.
Check never show this screen during boot again and swipe again.

In TWRP, go to Backup -> select Boot, System, Data,
Tap select Storage and select External storage,
then Swipe to Backup.
Backup is located on your microSD in the TWRP folder.

(To have latest TWRP recovery, go to Install > Select TWRP 3.1.1-0.img and swype to flash).

### Don't flash repit files if you don't have a TWRP recovery

### 2 MAIN CONFIGS TO REPARTITION :
- For standard config, just use the djibe-standard-repit*.zip included in my archive, you'll have :
1GB system, 6GB data (for apps), max internal storage (photos, temp files) and minimal preload (useless partition used for OTA offical updates).

- My PREFERED version is djibe-prefered-repit*.zip :
1GB system, 2GB Internal storage (limited size for photos and files because who takes photos with SGS2 ?), max data (about 11,5 GB for apps), minimal preload (useless partition).

### And a failproof repit one. If you get flash errors with repit files above, use this one.

- For more custom partitions, ask us in a post what partition sizes you want.

### Let the lanchon*.zip filename AS IS because the filename gives the instructions for the repit script. Lanchon is smart !

Go back to TWRP Home screen,
Plug phone to charger.
Tap go to Install, select lanchon-VERSIONYOUWANT-djibe-repit*.zip from your microSD (if file not seen, tap Select storage -> External-storage),
then Swipe to flash. There is an error, files have been copied to /tmp folder. It is normal !

Go back to Install -> Select Storage -> Internal Storage, OK.
Now tap on : (Up A Level),
scroll down and enter the "tmp" folder,
### If you use another PIT file to repartition (not mine -djibe-version), plug phone to Power source (not PC !) or you could hard brick your device.
tap on lanchon-VERSIONYOUWANT-djibe*.zip and Swipe to flash.
### never connect phone to PC during repit !!!
Let it process for 2 minutes.

4 ) Wipe partitions
INFO : F2FS is the fastest filesystem for read and write partitions on flash memories. Compared to EXT4, gain is from 15 to 280 %.
No need to format the /System partition because it is Read only and Ext4 is still faster.
Format has been done with repit. No need to manually format anymore.

Go to Wipe -> Advanced wipe,
select Dalvik, Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage then Swipe to Wipe, go back to TWRP Home.

5) INSTALL ROM, GAPPS AND ROOT
Still under TWRP Home screen -> go to Install zip and set Storage to External-Storage.
We need to install files 1 by 1.

Select lineage-14.1-*.zip and Swipe to flash,
Then select addonsu-*.zip (this is the Root) and Swipe to flash,
### You get this error : Updater process ended with signal: 4, Error installing zip file '/sdcard/Download/addonsu*.zip', don't care, root is correctly installed.

then open_gapps-arm-7.1*.zip, and Swipe to flash,

### If you are using ResurrectionRemix, don't flash any custom kernel at all !

Then wipe cache/dalvik,
then reboot system.

Wait for 15 minutes while Android starts for the first time.

6 ) ROOT ACCESS
Once in Android, open the Settings menu, select "About Phone".
Go to Settings -> About -> Hit 7 times on the build number, go back,
Go to the Developer options menu, root access -> activate ADB+apps
and Lower activate Local Terminal.

7) CALIBRATE BATTERY
In Google Play Store, download App Battery Calibration (from IMobS Ltd).
Launch the App.
Confirm root acces.
Plug tab and wait till charge hits 100%, then hit BATTERY CALIBRATION and unplug it.

8) You can use Backupyourmobile to restore data,
you can use GPS Status & Toolbox app to enhance GPS fix.

Enjoy,
djibe

THANKS --------------
Teams of : TWRP, Lineage OS, the.gangster, Lanchon, Resurrection remix, Philz, Skyline, MigoMujahid

Last edited:

octaviojss

Jul 26, 2012
Hi, i tried that, the repit file i isntalled was the one that has your name. The whole process went ok, except for the install. please check the image for more info.

Attachments

• DSC_0081.jpg
    DSC_0081.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 4,084

octaviojss

Jul 26, 2012
I formated cache and data partition back to ext4 and everything went fine. Now I have ressurection remix 7.1 ROM.

Reactions: Fl0zz3

djibe89

May 24, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 4a
hi octaviojss:
- Why did you flash my PIT, cause you got the WARNING. If you got "ERROR: 1 Fatal: file system errors in partition #11 'sdcard' (UMS) could not be fixed error" ?
- What happens if you go back to Wipe -> Advanced Wipe
And reformat every partition (F2FS for cache and data and ext4 for system and internal storage) ?

Keep in touch

Reactions: jonboy79

octaviojss

Jul 26, 2012
Why did you have your PIT file there in first place, if it wasnt needed? I installed it because it was more recent. Anyway, as said, when i reformated the cache and data partitions back to ext4 file format i was able to install the rom smoothly and flawlessly.

djibe89

May 24, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 4a
I wiped my phone and flashed the Philz Touch Recovery Zip. I got this error while flashing it...
So you've wiped everything under stock recovery ? It needs to be done later once Philz touch is working !
So, we'll try flashing recovery in Download Mode (Home + Power + Volume-), use Odin to flash Philz Touch recovery in .tar format (in AP/PDA section of Odin).

1 - Download Philz Touch recovery in .tar format :
https://mega.nz/#F!oZ1QDDbC!Ko20UNhowwIlXLVFjJsyKw (it doesn't load for me right now)
+ Odin 3.07 (my pack for i9300) : http://bit.ly/2hqiWsP

2 - From my tutorial here, execute the 3rd chapter with Odin :
https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/help/guide-tutorial-samsung-galaxy-s3-i9300-t3491788
(do not flash TWRP inside my i9300 Archive)

3 - Once flash of Philz touch recovery is done, reboot to recovery and continue further steps.

Reactions: jonboy79

Aly Rezz

Nov 25, 2015
So you've wiped everything under stock recovery ? It needs to be done later once Philz touch is working !
So, we'll try flashing recovery in Download Mode (Home + Power + Volume-), use Odin to flash Philz Touch recovery in .tar format (in AP/PDA section of Odin).

1 - Download Philz Touch recovery in .tar format :
https://mega.nz/#F!oZ1QDDbC!Ko20UNhowwIlXLVFjJsyKw (it doesn't load for me right now)
+ Odin 3.07 (my pack for i9300) : http://bit.ly/2hqiWsP

2 - From my tutorial here, execute the 3rd chapter with Odin :
https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/help/guide-tutorial-samsung-galaxy-s3-i9300-t3491788
(do not flash TWRP inside my i9300 Archive)

3 - Once flash of Philz touch recovery is done, reboot to recovery and continue further steps.

Still doesn't work. It's stuck at " Nand Write Start!!"

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,074

djibe89

May 24, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 4a
Try Odin 1.3

or this "Tried to do a rollback from official 4.4.2 to official 4.1.2 via Odin.
Since the new official bootloader doesn't allow rollback procedures, I got the missing magic string error and the NAND write fail at Odin.
The tablet bricked, not even showing Samsung Note 10.1 logo. I could only access to ODIN mode, not recovery even. *YIKES*

After a day and a half trying to recover it, I removed the SIM card, the SD card and I loaded the Samsung Stock recovery file via ODIN, then rebooted. I got as far as the Samsung logo which was an improvement compared to what I had. Then I proceeded to reload the 4.4.2 firmware (INU-N8000XXUDNE6) and rebooted the device. Went into recovery mode, restored factory defailts and, voilá!

It is working now on 4.4.2, though it is not the Spanish firmware it shoud be, at least the tablet is functional. "

LoveMySGS2

Jan 22, 2017
Hi.

Oh boy I was happy when I found this complete package with all files in a zip. All other places the files are missing or you "can't find them".
And oh boy I was unhappy when I couldn't install the first file.
My phone is a SGS2 Modelnumber GT-I9100 bought in Sweden a few mounth after the model was released.
So I guess the instructions on this page should work for me?
I've rooted my phone with CWM-SuperSU-v0.97.zip and verified with a root checking app from the store. Otherwise it's only updated to the latest Andorid 4.1.2 from Samsung. The phone is working fine with the installed Android version.
So when I choose to install "Philz_touch_6.48*.zip" the following is printed out:
################
PhilZ Touch Recovery
Full Touch CWM Based
+
Advanced Features
Phone i9100
################

This package is for 'galaxys2.i9100.GT-I9100.GT-
I9100M.GT-I9100P,GT-I9100T,SC-02C devices; this
is a ''.
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)

What am I doing wrong here? Have I missed doing something obvious? Do I need to install something more before I use your guide?
BR
Tobbe

LoveMySGS2

Jan 22, 2017
Hi.

I tried to do that you wrote. Didn't seem to work with:
GT-I9100_JB_ClockworkMod-Recovery_6.0.2.9.tar
I downloaded Odin and flashed it instead. Now I got this yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in :( and phone didn't boot into Android.
Got very worried but I went into recovery mode and voila ClockworkMod was running :)
After that I followed your instruction. Up to "Format to F2FS". I got errors so I changed back to EXT4 and continued.
Installed CM13 with no problem and got very glad so I forgot step 6-8. Will do them in a few days.
Thank you very much for this guide and zip-archive.

It's actually my daughter who will get the updated phone. She is also very happy :)

BR
Tobbe

PS. One more thing, is it possible to get rid of the yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in? (only appears at atart up screen) DS.

S2andCounting

Jan 24, 2017
Thanks djibe. I wanted to flash to CM13 from stock rom, so your guide was really helpful.

I did run into two issues, and want to share how I got around them:
1. I got the "Status 7" problem when trying to flash Philz_touch_6.48*.zip. So instead I flashed the relevant ZIP file from "xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/development-derivatives/philz-cwm6-stock-kernel-cwm6-root-exfat-t1877270" from stock recovery first. This installed a custom recovery. Then I flashed Philz_touch_6.48 from the custom recovery.

2. After formatting /cache and /data to F2FS, installing CM13 failed. So instead I kept /cache and /data as EXT4 and completed the installation according to the rest of the guide. After rebooting and completing the CM13 Android setup, I redid the installation from step 4 of your guide onwards and F2FS worked this time. I should mention though that before formatting /cache and /data to F2FS, I also repartitioned with a newer repit file from lanchon's github (and increased data to 4G), so I don't know if this had an effect as well.

Hopefully this helps others facing the same problems. I should warn though that this is my first time attempting absolutely anything like this, so please take all this with caution. Your mileage may vary!

djibe89

May 24, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 4a
Thanks djibe. I wanted to flash to CM13 from stock rom, so your guide was really helpful.

I did run into two issues, and want to share how I got around them:
1. I got the "Status 7" problem when trying to flash Philz_touch_6.48*.zip. So instead I flashed the relevant ZIP file from "xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/development-derivatives/philz-cwm6-stock-kernel-cwm6-root-exfat-t1877270" from stock recovery first. This installed a custom recovery. Then I flashed Philz_touch_6.48 from the custom recovery.

2. After formatting /cache and /data to F2FS, installing CM13 failed. So instead I kept /cache and /data as EXT4 and completed the installation according to the rest of the guide. After rebooting and completing the CM13 Android setup, I redid the installation from step 4 of your guide onwards and F2FS worked this time. I should mention though that before formatting /cache and /data to F2FS, I also repartitioned with a newer repit file from lanchon's github (and increased data to 4G), so I don't know if this had an effect as well.

Hopefully this helps others facing the same problems. I should warn though that this is my first time attempting absolutely anything like this, so please take all this with caution. Your mileage may vary!

Thank you very much for these tips that will surely help others.
Can you send me the direct link to the Philz recovery that was successful for you ?
I'm upgrading my tutorial with your stuff, and making it simpler with a new custom repit file.
Keep in touch

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Guide] Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 Android 7.1 Nougat/Lineage OS 14.1
    [Guide/Tutorial/Howto] Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 Any version to Android 7.1 Nougat without PC

This detailed step-by-step guide helps you transform your Samsung Galaxy S2 i-9100/i-9100P to a powerful one with Android 7.1 Nougat.
    Verify your phone is i9100 or i9100P before going further : when you Power on phone, it is written Galaxy SII i9100.

The flashing of recovery is a bit tricky but none of the S2 I had were recognised by the PC. So this tutorial is PC free.
    If your S2 is recognised by PC, it's easier to flash directly TWRP recovery using Odin or Heimdall https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75002977&postcount=343

CHANGELOG OF TUTORIAL
    v10. Updated pack with TWRP 3.3.1-0
    v9. Updated to Unofficial LOS 14.1
    v8. Removed Dorimanx kernel (not maintained)
    v7. Added Google Play certification (use instructions with my v5 pack below)
    v6. Switched to Dorimanx kernel, swteaks, enhenced tutorial thx to feedback, introduced md5 signatures, Stweaks included
    v5. Overclock and optimize
    v4. Simpler repit, 2 profiles for repit included
    v3.5. More custom partitions, kernel for Android N 1.3
    v3. Moved to Lineage OS 14.1, Skyline custom kernel, TWRP 3.1 by the.gangster
    v2. Added latest repit, added walkthrough for possible errors
    v1. Initial release

1 ) DOWNLOAD ---------------------
    - djibe Galaxy S2 i9100 pack (53 MB) v5 : http://bit.ly/GalaxyS2djibepackv5
    (contains Philz Touch recovery + kernel Lanchon IsoRec CM13 + the.gangster IsoRec TWRP 3.3.1-0 recovery + lanchon repit djibe edit standard or prefered + Su for LOS 14.1 + Samsung drivers).

- ROM Unofficial Lineage OS 14.1 for GalaxyS2 i9100 : https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=302540&sort_by=date&sort_dir=DESC
    Or AOKP : https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/development-derivatives/rom-aokp-rom-t3606915

- OpenGApps ARM 7.1 pico (alternatives: Pico, Micro) : https://opengapps.org/?arch=arm&api=7.1&variant=pico

- a microSD card. Copy Philz Touch recovery + kernel Lanchon IsoRec CM13 + the.gangster IsoRec TWRP 3.3.1-0 recovery + lanchon repit djibe edit standard or prefered + Su for LOS 14.1 AND THEIR RESPECTIVE md5 files from my pack on microSD card and insert it in phone.
    - Charge phone to 100 %

WARNING. Read carefully the sentences starting with ###.
    ### It will not work if your phone is encrypted. Uncrypt it before starting this tutorial.
    ### This tutorial works without a PC. So it will work if (like me) you get "Unknown USB device error" message when plugging phone in Windows.
    ### Warranty is now void.
    ### Later in this tutorial, if you get error : "Failed to mount */data* (No such device)", just reformat Data partition to Ext4 (Using lanchon-repit's script or TWRP recovery).

2 ) BACKUP DATA -------------------
    Install Samsung drivers (you unzipped earlier).
    Then plug phone to PC in File transfer mode.
    Collect all .jpg or .mp4

Use an app like Backupyourmobile to backup texts, contacts, etc.
    Check that backup is located on microSD card.
    Then copy the backup on your PC.

3 ) FLASH RECOVERY, KERNEL AND RE-PARTITION----------------
    We gonna repartition phone to reduce an unused preload partition of 512 Mo (stored Samsung updates that no more exist).
    We gonna increase system partition to 1 GB so Android 7.1 and Gapps have enough space.
    We gonna increase data partition so you can have all the apps you like.
    ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE LOST.

FLASH RECOVERY FROM STOCK RECOVERY ----
    Shut down phone.
    Power it back on in recovery mode : Use Volume+ + Home + Power buttons and release them when you see Galaxy S2 logo.
    ### Alternative and easier process if your S2 can be recognized by PC using Heimdall : https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75002977&postcount=343
    Then wait till the recovery launches.
    ### If you already have a custom recovery, go to the mark -!-!- below.

Using default recovery, use volume buttons to navigate and power to confirm,
    install zip -> choose Philz_touch_6.48*.zip and install it.
    When its done, shut down phone, restart in recovery mode. You are now in the Philz touch recovery.

### If it fails, you need to install CWM recovery using Odin software and SGS2 in Download mode.
    ### Use a good tutorial for Odin and SGS2 i9100 recovery flashing.
    ### Download CWM for Odin : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934516900
    ### Once finished, continue operations below as if you had Philz recovery.

In Philz touch recovery (or your recovery -!-!-) : go to Wipe -> format /cache and format /system partitions.
    Then back to install zip -> Flash kernel-lanchon*.zip (FLASH IT OR TWRP RECOVERY WON'T LAUNCH AND PHONE WILL BE BRICKED),
    then flash recovery recovery-the.gangster-IsoRec-TWRP-3.1.0-0-i9100.zip.

Reboot phone to recovery again, it is now TWRP 3.1.0-0 Recovery !!!
    Swipe to unlock filesystem.
    Check never show this screen during boot again and swipe again.

In TWRP, go to Backup -> select Boot, System, Data,
    Tap select Storage and select External storage,
    then Swipe to Backup.
    Backup is located on your microSD in the TWRP folder.

(To have latest TWRP recovery, go to Install > Select TWRP 3.1.1-0.img and swype to flash).

### Don't flash repit files if you don't have a TWRP recovery

### 2 MAIN CONFIGS TO REPARTITION :
    - For standard config, just use the djibe-standard-repit*.zip included in my archive, you'll have :
    1GB system, 6GB data (for apps), max internal storage (photos, temp files) and minimal preload (useless partition used for OTA offical updates).

- My PREFERED version is djibe-prefered-repit*.zip :
    1GB system, 2GB Internal storage (limited size for photos and files because who takes photos with SGS2 ?), max data (about 11,5 GB for apps), minimal preload (useless partition).

### And a failproof repit one. If you get flash errors with repit files above, use this one.

- For more custom partitions, ask us in a post what partition sizes you want.

### Let the lanchon*.zip filename AS IS because the filename gives the instructions for the repit script. Lanchon is smart !

Go back to TWRP Home screen,
    Plug phone to charger.
    Tap go to Install, select lanchon-VERSIONYOUWANT-djibe-repit*.zip from your microSD (if file not seen, tap Select storage -> External-storage),
    then Swipe to flash. There is an error, files have been copied to /tmp folder. It is normal !

Go back to Install -> Select Storage -> Internal Storage, OK.
    Now tap on : (Up A Level),
    scroll down and enter the "tmp" folder,
    ### If you use another PIT file to repartition (not mine -djibe-version), plug phone to Power source (not PC !) or you could hard brick your device.
    tap on lanchon-VERSIONYOUWANT-djibe*.zip and Swipe to flash.
    ### never connect phone to PC during repit !!!
    Let it process for 2 minutes.

4 ) Wipe partitions
    INFO : F2FS is the fastest filesystem for read and write partitions on flash memories. Compared to EXT4, gain is from 15 to 280 %.
    No need to format the /System partition because it is Read only and Ext4 is still faster.
    Format has been done with repit. No need to manually format anymore.

Go to Wipe -> Advanced wipe,
    select Dalvik, Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage then Swipe to Wipe, go back to TWRP Home.

5) INSTALL ROM, GAPPS AND ROOT
    Still under TWRP Home screen -> go to Install zip and set Storage to External-Storage.
    We need to install files 1 by 1.

Select lineage-14.1-*.zip and Swipe to flash,
    Then select addonsu-*.zip (this is the Root) and Swipe to flash,
    ### You get this error : Updater process ended with signal: 4, Error installing zip file '/sdcard/Download/addonsu*.zip', don't care, root is correctly installed.

then open_gapps-arm-7.1*.zip, and Swipe to flash,

### If you are using ResurrectionRemix, don't flash any custom kernel at all !

Then wipe cache/dalvik,
    then reboot system.

Wait for 15 minutes while Android starts for the first time.

6 ) ROOT ACCESS
    Once in Android, open the Settings menu, select "About Phone".
    Go to Settings -> About -> Hit 7 times on the build number, go back,
    Go to the Developer options menu, root access -> activate ADB+apps
    and Lower activate Local Terminal.

7) CALIBRATE BATTERY
    In Google Play Store, download App Battery Calibration (from IMobS Ltd).
    Launch the App.
    Confirm root acces.
    Plug tab and wait till charge hits 100%, then hit BATTERY CALIBRATION and unplug it.

8) You can use Backupyourmobile to restore data,
    you can use GPS Status & Toolbox app to enhance GPS fix.

Enjoy,
    djibe

THANKS --------------
    Teams of : TWRP, Lineage OS, the.gangster, Lanchon, Resurrection remix, Philz, Skyline, MigoMujahid
    I do not know may developers of Lineage or Resurrection Remix are great people. But from my point of view such ROMs seem as kidding only. Sorry.
    They are not ready for use as reliable daily drivers. And an appearance of some reports about allegedly happiness and satisfaction with Lineage or Resurrection Remix are high probably fakes or at least unserious claims.
    You cannot say so. The developers of Lineage ROM (and the derivatives) are fine guys with lots of know how. They sacrifice many hours of their spare time for this work, all free of charge and also have a private life. They can't fix all bugs from today to tomorrow. You have to be patient. Since the beginning of Nougat for the S2 in 2016, many bugs have already been fixed. Of course, the ROM will be always better optimized for daily use. The bugs become fixed bit by bit, but this takes time.

I have been testing the various Lineage ROMs for quite some time, as a normal user. For me, the lastest versions of AICP 12.1 are working quite usable. With a suitable CPU governor (lulzactiveq) or special settings in the Kernel Adiutor it runs more smoothly than the stock ROM (Jelly Bean). Why should someone write something unserious here, we get no money for it :p The S2 is a lovely oldtimer - nobody thought in 2011 that it works with an Android OS from 2016/17.
    Hi, i tried that, the repit file i isntalled was the one that has your name. The whole process went ok, except for the install. please check the image for more info.
    nope, sorry, may google brings up something

I already found a solution. I searched the previous replies. I changed the name of the zip file. I put ext4 where f2fs was. Dunno why my phone dont like f2fs but now its working like a charm.
    Glad you did it !
    For the PIT file it doesn't change much, but the original lanchon PIT moves data during partition resize, mine erases data.
    Enjoy ;)