Get the NoDo Update right now!

Did the "timing solution" work for you?

• Yes! My phone is unbranded! I tried it < 10 times!

Votes: 234 29.8%
  • Yes! My phone is unbranded! I tried it > 10 times!

Votes: 105 13.4%
  • Yes! My phone is branded! I tried it < 10 times!

Votes: 140 17.8%
  • Yes! My phone is branded! I tried it > 10 times!

Votes: 66 8.4%
  • No! I tried it numerous times, but it didn't work!

Votes: 241 30.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

kazman13

Feb 24, 2011
radville
so when i switch to carrier settings a described in this post i want to double check im doing this correct.
go to setting then to cellular then i shut off data connection is this correct?
problem is the times change from 24 seconds to 36 seconds and up and it seams like after 3 tries i need to resest the connection to try again.

fudge guys i just want to get this to work and sounded like the best news i have heard in a while.

surfing10

Aug 7, 2007
No go for me on Focus.
Tried every second between 24 and 36 (that was the right range for me I think)

Halle

Feb 1, 2010
Stockholm
I tried many times. Finally I got enough counting with my head, took my GFs i4 and used the timer to see how long time it took before error message occured. At exactly, 34 sec, the message appeared. Did it again, turned the data connection off at exactly 33sec. The NoDo showed up.;)

bmazloum

Nov 24, 2007
So the idea is VPN to the Hungary server which is the only one providing the updates.

Question is. How is this linked to "Data connection" on my cell phone?

It hasn't worked for me, and I timed it right before the error. At 35 seconds.

So, for those of you who got it working. I'm guessing you had "Use cellular data connection to check for updates" checked on your phone settings?

Reactions: dshanesmith

Halle

Feb 1, 2010
Stockholm
it right before the error. At 35 seconds.

So, for those of you who got it working. I'm guessing you had "Use cellular data connection to check for updates" checked on your phone settings?

Yes indeed I had that one checked. But, try again. It's not easy and feels impossible. Then suddenly it shows up. :)

TeNsTrKe15

Aug 16, 2009
Illinois
confused

not sure exactly what this means

Important step 6.:
After a few seconds (about 10-15 seconds for me) disable data transfer on the already opened settings tab on your phone

im not sure what this means. if im in my settings area on my phone, where to i navigate to get to this?

also, what will this do to my carrier?? will i become unbranded and cannot use my service anymore?

Last edited:

woohoo70

Oct 26, 2010
It worked fo me thanks a million for this im in Australia my phone was optus branded but i flashed a couple of weeks ago hoping to get this update earler that didint work but this method did but i did have to wait around 40 secs to disable mobile network for it to work thanks again cheers

floopydoodle

Mar 24, 2011
This worked on a HTC 7 Trophy. The time varied about 25-34 seconds for me so it took like ten tries but finally it worked. Thanks! :D

emigrating

Jan 1, 2010
Just a quick pointer to those who cannot get this to work.

If you have previously "unbranded" your phone using the HKLM/System/Platform/DeviceTargetingInfo/MobileOperator "hack" this will not work - at least it didn't for me with a blank string. I kept getting "your phone is up to date" messages in Zune. Once I reset the string to 000-88 (which is still unbranded) it updated first try.

Zailynne

Aug 5, 2009
Has anyone who is locked to 3 Sweden had any luck with this? Because, I've tried like a hundred times, for like an hour now and haven't got it working... :S

brummiesteven

Aug 29, 2008
Birmingham
not sure exactly what this means

Important step 6.:
After a few seconds (about 10-15 seconds for me) disable data transfer on the already opened settings tab on your phone

im not sure what this means. if im in my settings area on my phone, where to i navigate to get to this?

also, what will this do to my carrier?? will i become unbranded and cannot use my service anymore?

You navigate to the Network screen before you connect, The one where you select your network and roaming options etc... there's a data connection toggle there, toggle that.

Reactions: TeNsTrKe15
Nov 28, 2009
www.alexfu.it
Didn't worked for me, tried with 10,13,15,17 etc until 35 secs, after 35 it says phone is updated, so i've tried with 30,31,32,33,34,35 multiple times, near 32 says cannot check updates, above says it's updated.

Lg optimus 7 unbranded with register hack (that's the way you mean for unbranding right?) :)

EDIT: post to self, read before the 000-88 thing... Ok, trying again

Last edited:

guizzy

Feb 22, 2011
Just a quick pointer to those who cannot get this to work.

If you have previously "unbranded" your phone using the HKLM/System/Platform/DeviceTargetingInfo/MobileOperator "hack" this will not work - at least it didn't for me with a blank string. I kept getting "your phone is up to date" messages in Zune. Once I reset the string to 000-88 (which is still unbranded) it updated first try.

This is right, it's currently updating on my Telus branded Optimus 7, but I did have to set the MobileOperator registry key to 000-88.

Reactions: kazman13

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hint: Your phone must be unbranded or must have the "000-88" registry hack applied if branded ("registry unbranding"). Be sure you are running the latest version of Zune.
    This should work for all retail WP7 devices! You should start this guide from OS version 7008! (This should be automatically installed on a [registry] unbranded phone)

"Force NoDo" (March 2011) WP7 Update Guide:

Solution 1: Using your regular internet connection (Credits go to user Noticed) (Give him a Thanks here)

1. Start Zune.

2. Turn off data connection and Wi-Fi on the Phone.

3. Connect the Phone to the PC (USB).

4. Manually search for an update within Zune. ("Settings" > "Phone" > "Update")

Important step 5.:
    About 3 seconds later, disconnect your PC from the internet. (Turn WLAN/Ethernet off)

6. The Update shows up!

7. Reconnect to the internet and install the update.

If it doesn't work try again starting from step 4 and vary the time you disonnect.

Solution 2: Using a VPN dialup connection

1. Download USAIP.pbk from here, then open it and connect to EUROIP PPTP Hungary
    with
    USERNAME: demo
    PASSWORD: demo
    (This connection is automatically closed after 7 minutes! Check your firewall, if you have problems to connect!)

(If "Network Connections" doesn't open, apply the registry entry from here and reboot your PC)​

and connect your phone to the PC by USB.

2. Disable Wi-Fi (WLAN) in your phone, but be shure that airplane mode is off and that in "Settings" > "phone update" both checkboxes are checked.

3. Start Zune (if not already started) and keep it running all the time.

4. Switch to cellular settings on the phone.

5. Manually search for an update within Zune. ("Settings" > "Phone" > "Update")

Important step 6.:
    After a few seconds (about 10-15 seconds for me, but this could vary from 5 seconds to almost one minute!) disable data connection on the already opened settings tab on your phone.
    For the right timing utilize the timing trick mentioned below.

--> The update shows up!
    (You can now terminate the connection and download the update using your "normal" internet connection)

If it doesn't work (cognizable by the fact that you get a time out error) retry steps 5 and 6 and vary the time until you manually disable the data connection! (step 6)
    Users report this tutorial works with WIFI! So if you aren't successful try to use your phone's WIFI connection instead of your cellular data connection (be sure to set the cellular data connection off this time).
    (Thanks goes to vi3txlifv, mikmik111 and kapanak)

A trick to get the right timing (thanks Hardmen):
    Get a stopwatch and stop the time until you get the Zune update time out. Subtract 0.5 to 1 seconds and that's the time you have to shut off the data connection.​

Here is a nice video demonstrating the whole process. (watch after 3:00min) :
    (Thanks goes to windowsphonehacker.com)

NoDo alive... :)

Please share your experience in the update procedure and participate in the poll!

Enjoy your phone!

Best Regards,
    Bonebreaker (a.k.a. ulub81) :)

Thanks also goes to dawnrazr and xsiriusx!

Even Paul Thurrott uses this method! ;)
    Guys! I just made it work on Wi-fi!

ATT Samsung Focus (7008) using for T-Mobile

1. Erase all data.
    2. Debranded to 000-88
    3. Follow instructions on first page, but this time I turned off my data connection and used Wi-fi instead. Since I DO NOT HAVE A DATA PLAN.
    4. Time Zune Update while Data Connection is off and Wi-fi is off until it gets the error code (when zune timed out).
    5. Get the time and now turn on Wi-fi.
    6. Now turn off Wi-fi a second earlier than what you had.

This is what I did after 2 hrs. Worked for me the first time around with Wi-fi. Now updating to March NoDo as I type this!
    :D:D:D

You sir, is my hero. I have been trying it for hours and I thought I am just not timing it right, but it turns out, AT&T's signal is crap.

It works when you are in WiFi.

AT&T HTC Surround
    Hi! I wrote to microsoft Answers about omnia7 today. They actually answered!
    What he wrote was:
    "You are right, below is the information regarding the Samsung Omnia 7 update:

We’ve temporarily stopped sending updates to Omnia 7’s. The team discovered a technical issue with the update package for this model. The work of fixing and testing the package is nearly done, and the team hopes to resume update deliveries soon. When we know more of the timing, it will be posted to http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/
    "
    So at least we have an official confirm on this. That's way better than go about wondering...
    It took me a good 2-3 hours to get the timing right. Just don't give up. I tried a bunch of things and this was how I finally got it to work step by step:

1. I would first start the VPN program to connect to Hungary posted here.
    2. I would then check online to make sure my I.P. address was being linked to Hungary.
    3. I would then, with the data connection off on my phone, time (with a stop watch) how long it would take for the error to appear on Zune while searching for the update.
    4. I would then turn the data connection on on the phone and start the search for update on Zune. One second before the time it took for the error to appear I would hit the off on the data connection on the phone.
    5. Rinse and repeat step 3 and 4 until it says you have an update.

Occasionally you have to check to see if your IP is still connected to Hungary as usually after 4-5 checks for updates it would disconnect. I feel like this has happen to many of you with you noticing.

exactly how I did it....and yes the vpn will disconnect after 7 minutes, because it is a demo
    Damn, I had to use this hack for three times :eek::
    • First time when I found update, there was not enough space on my phone
    • Second time there was not enough space on my HDD
    • Third time I've got it right
    BTW, I have HTC Mozart and what worked for me:
    1. Change MobileOperator string
    2. Wait 26 seconds
    3. Disable data connection
    4. Wait 5 seconds
    5. Drop VPN connection

I've attached modified (uses 000-88 instead of empty string) ChevronWP7.Ringtones.xap file for HTC. You can use it with original tutorial.

Oh, and thank you guys for all those helpful posts :)