[Q] Unlock bootloader on XT926 rooted after JB OTA update 9.30.1

Search This thread

impinball

Feb 1, 2014
I've successfully rooted my Droid RAZR MAXX HD with stock firmware version 9.30.1, but I can't seem to figure out how to unlock the bootloader.

The one catch with my phone being rooted is that it always ends up in fastboot when it boots. A simple
Code:
fastboot continue
fixes the problem, but I was wanting to flash CWM Recovery to install CM.

I have a working su/Superuser.apk, but I can't seem to fix the bootloader dilemma.

Jhall8

Sep 4, 2012
The last software version with an unlockable bootloader is 9.16.6.XT926. Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

impinball

Feb 1, 2014
The last software version with an unlockable bootloader is 9.16.6.XT926. Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Okay... I also have another wonderful problem: my phone consistently gets into fastboot mode upon startup, with my current workaround of doing fastboot continue. Is there any way to fix my currently locked bootloader?

Last edited:

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
Okay... I also have another wonderful problem: my phone consistently gets into fastboot mode upon startup, with my current workaround of doing fastboot continue. Is there any way to fix my currently locked bootloader?

As Jhal said, you can't "fix" your bootloader, it's locked since you're on the newest OTA and it can't be unlocked. With that being said, your phone is not booting into fastboot because you're rooted. It's booting into FB because you tried to flash something that didn't work. What other things have you done or attempted to do, besides rooting? This will help us help you, the info you provided is pretty vague.

impinball

Feb 1, 2014
As Jhal said, you can't "fix" your bootloader, it's locked since you're on the newest OTA and it can't be unlocked. With that being said, your phone is not booting into fastboot because you're rooted. It's booting into FB because you tried to flash something that didn't work. What other things have you done or attempted to do, besides rooting? This will help us help you, the info you provided is pretty vague.

I have done absolutely nothing beyond rooting it, installing Superuser & SuperSU (both through a script I can attach, but I'm on the wrong computer), and backed up a slew of apps.

This first begun when I modified the script to fix a bug in it (ash in JB 4.2 doesn't have a -f switch in rm, and the script had a 'rm -f'). If that bug didn't exist, then it would've still happened the first of several times (I attempted it about 4-5 times, but only the last caused this). The rm -f was actually doing effectively (with successful root privileges) 'rm -f /system/install-script-2.sh', but the script actually had another script to be put into it at the location /system/install-script.sh.

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
???
Start by detailing steps in your 2nd paragraph.
Your boot is locked if it was never unlocked before you upgraded to ...79 or later

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
I've successfully rooted my Droid RAZR MAXX HD with stock firmware version 9.30.1, but I can't seem to figure out how to unlock the bootloader.

The one catch with my phone being rooted is that it always ends up in fastboot when it boots. A simple
Code:
fastboot continue
fixes the problem, but I was wanting to flash CWM Recovery to install CM.

I have a working su/Superuser.apk, but I can't seem to fix the bootloader dilemma.

Looks like you either flashed a fastboot or used a tool that used the command "fastboot oem fb_mode_set" which causes the phone to boot directly into fastboot mode. It can usually be fixed with the command "fastboot oem fb_mode_clear".

impinball

Feb 1, 2014
Looks like you either flashed a fastboot or used a tool that used the command "fastboot oem fb_mode_set" which causes the phone to boot directly into fastboot mode. It can usually be fixed with the command "fastboot oem fb_mode_clear".

Didn't work. It is still booting there on its own upon start-up.

Also, I will mention that I did commit an act of stupidity: trying to flash against a bootloader that I couldn't verify was unlocked yet. I stupidly ran the command when I wasn't even 50% sure that it was unlocked yet (and is likely the cause of all my problems):

Code:
fastboot flash recovery <cwm-file>.zip

I'm trying my hardest to avoid sending this to Motorola just for them to charge me for the replacement, saying I've voided any warranty that exists with the phone. I have the original firmware to flash just in case, but I don't have the Motorola fastboot (for the dev editions).

Last edited:

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Didn't work. It is still booting there on its own upon start-up.

Also, I will mention that I did commit an act of stupidity: trying to flash against a bootloader that I couldn't verify was unlocked yet. I stupidly ran the command when I wasn't even 50% sure that it was unlocked yet (and is likely the cause of all my problems):

Code:
fastboot flash recovery <cwm-file>.zip

I'm trying my hardest to avoid sending this to Motorola just for them to charge me for the replacement, saying I've voided any warranty that exists with the phone. I have the original firmware to flash just in case, but I don't have the Motorola fastboot (for the dev editions).

First, there is no Dev Edition Fastboot....the closest would be Bell ICS since Bell shipped unlocked/unlockable Atrix HD's.

You don't flash zip files with fastboot flash.....Why is this becoming an issue these days?* The kernel is "fastboot flash boot boot.img"

*just thinking out loud

EDIT: Just realized that this was the RAZR HD forums.....just replying to quoted posts this morning....Not sure about RAZR HD Dev Edition fastboots....

crazifuzzy

Jun 30, 2010

The shame is, I never cared about unlocking the bootloader, as I prefer to stick to OTA's, but I do require root. So that's all I've ever done. I'm successfully rooted with the locked bootloader on 9.30.1, but it seems (at least as far as I've read on here) that I'm stuck there as I can't go anywhere else and maintain root. Would love kitkat, but root is essential.

killrhythm09

May 3, 2011
California
Um, you can unlock the bootloader and still stick to OTAs.

Being able to root at any time and use custom recovery is reason enough for me.

crazifuzzy

Jun 30, 2010
Um, you can unlock the bootloader and still stick to OTAs.

Being able to root at any time and use custom recovery is reason enough for me.

I in no way implied I was AVOIDING unlocking due to the desire to stay on OTA's - just that I had no reason to pursue unlocking. This is the first android device I've had that ended up with a sunset where you couldn't unlock it at pretty much any point, so i never had a fear of taking the OTA and losing something in the process. If i had expected that, I certainly would have unlocked prior to 9.30.1 being installed. I honestly have yet to figure out why they don't release a program that would allow unlocking the devices - I'm not sure the manufacture's fear of unlocked bootloaders and root, as any program they release would be loaded with disclaimers - and frankly, it would allow easy restorations to ANY firmware version by service staff at verizon/at&t.

iBolski

I in no way implied I was AVOIDING unlocking due to the desire to stay on OTA's - just that I had no reason to pursue unlocking. This is the first android device I've had that ended up with a sunset where you couldn't unlock it at pretty much any point, so i never had a fear of taking the OTA and losing something in the process. If i had expected that, I certainly would have unlocked prior to 9.30.1 being installed. I honestly have yet to figure out why they don't release a program that would allow unlocking the devices - I'm not sure the manufacture's fear of unlocked bootloaders and root, as any program they release would be loaded with disclaimers - and frankly, it would allow easy restorations to ANY firmware version by service staff at verizon/at&t.

Talk to Verizon. They're the ones preventing the bootloader from being unlocked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

iBolski

Well, in actual reality, the XT926 was never meant to be unlocked. It was only unlockable via an exploit, just like obtaining root for locked devices is an exploit in the security of the OS/device.

So, there never really was a "sunset" for unlocking this device as it wasn't meant to be. Only after the exploit was found did a patch come out to stop that exploit from being utilized on any remaining unlocked phones, current or future.

So, when there is an exploit to unlock a device, your best bet is to take advantage of it immediately.

When I got my RAZR HD, it was as a warranty replacement for my OG RAZR MAXX. When I fired it up, it stated there was an OTA available. I immediately told it no and then went straight to the forums here and on another site to investigate what my options were. When I found out that there was the possibility of my unlocking the bootloader, I immediately went to where the tool was and downloaded it. I then proceeded to read and then ask questions on if my phone couldn't unlock, would it hurt it. SamuriHL helped me out a great deal and that is how I found all his tools and how much help he provides. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have discovered that I could unlock my bootloader.

Usually, I investigate the phone I'm interested in to see if:
1. Can the bootloader be unlocked (or is it already unlocked)?
2. Is there a known root exploit IF the bootloader cannot be unlocked?
3. What are the ROM options (safestrap, cwm, twrp recovery)?

It's definitely something I normally would look into, but I didn't know that I was going to receive the RAZR HD. Once I discovered the possibility of unlocking the bootloader, I was hoping beyond all hope that it could happen and it did. How I received a replacement phone that wasn't patched to the latest OTA was beyond me, but that is the reason I refused the OTA when I first fired up the phone. I had already read about other "horrors" of people taking an OTA and then finding they couldn't root or do other things with their phones.

Lesson learned is, NEVER take an OTA until you've fully researched what it does and what it might prevent.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Talk to Verizon. They're the ones preventing the bootloader from being unlocked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    This. It's no coincidence that the xt925 can be unlocked through Motorola. Carriers are always the problem here in the US.