[Q] Alcatel OT-980 root and rom development

Search This thread

viztelen

Mar 19, 2011
I used root explorer and deleted the apk file from /custpack/app, but twidroyd is still in the programs, and launches everytime, and it annoys me a lot...

With Uninstall for Root, I deleted it, but when I tried to scroll in the app list, I deleted the com.android.providers.userdictionary file...
Than it came up with the following pop-up error:
the application Android keyboard (process com.android.inputmethod.latin) has stopped unexpectedly. please try again
<force close>
and it comes up every time I touch any key, or start an app...

I tried the factory reset with volume down+power button at boot, but it didn't help...

could somebody help me, what can I do?

Last edited:

colddog

Aug 2, 2008
Has anyone tried Alcatel Updater? I think there is a bug.

Updater sends plain partition command without partition table data.

updater:
hex:
7E 19 00 CE 4D 7E

ascii:
~..ÎM~

phone:
hex:
7E 0D 07 00 00 00 55 6E 6B 6E 6F 77 6E 20 65 72
72 6F 72 20 61 63 63 65 70 74 69 6E 67 20 70 61
72 74 69 74 69 6F 6E 20 74 61 62 6C 65 FF 76 66
7E

ascii:
~.....Unknown er
ror accepting pa
rtition table˙vf
~

viztelen

Mar 19, 2011
With Uninstall for Root, I deleted it, but when I tried to scroll in the app list, I deleted the com.android.providers.userdictionary file...
Than it came up with the following pop-up error:
the application Android keyboard (process com.android.inputmethod.latin) has stopped unexpectedly. please try again
<force close>
and it comes up every time I touch any key, or start an app...

I tried the factory reset with volume down+power button at boot, but it didn't help...

could somebody help me, what can I do?

The com.android.providers.userdictionary file is UserDictionaryProvider.apk , I deleted this file accidentaly.
It is the software keyboards file, so I downloaded another software keyboard, set the phone up to use that, and now I don't have the error.
But please somebody help me, how can I put back the UserDictionaryProvider.apk file ... (I need the file too, other android device file is not working to me...)

thank you :)
Could you please tell me, how can I install it back? :S
I run the apk, it says it successfully installed, but the error still pops up :(

Or in this case I must re-install the firmware somehow?

Did you check for the file if it is installed in proper place? ( /system/app/..)

you can always make a backup with titanium backup and do reinstall of the system (have a phone turne off, push "r" + red button and phone is reflashed

Reactions: viztelen

colddog

Aug 2, 2008
Could anybody share boot, system and custpack images?
It can be done on rooted phone with "dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd0 of=/sdcard/mtd0 bs=4096" etc.

please please please please please please please

Thx

cd

viztelen

Mar 19, 2011
Did you check for the file if it is installed in proper place? ( /system/app/..)

you can always make a backup with titanium backup and do reinstall of the system (have a phone turne off, push "r" + red button and phone is reflashed

it's not in /system/app

I can make backup, but if the original software keyboard doesn't work (until I install another one) , I can't do much with it...

viztelen

Mar 19, 2011
can't you just copy a file with Root explorer to specific destination?

I copied the file to /system/app (I don't know, where it was, because I deleted it with uninstaller for root) with root explorer (mounted as RW), but I cannot see the file, if I copy it again, it doesn't say that the file exists ( for example if I do this in /sdcard, it pops up the warning that the file already exists)

I copied the file to /system/app (I don't know, where it was, because I deleted it with uninstaller for root) with root explorer (mounted as RW), but I cannot see the file, if I copy it again, it doesn't say that the file exists ( for example if I do this in /sdcard, it pops up the warning that the file already exists)

hmm... sorry to say, Viztelen, but I have no more advices for you right know... The only solution is to make a backup of SMSs, phone numbers (in a case you do not use phonebook stored in your google account) and any other 3rd party software you've installed already. Then let the phone to be reflashed the way I described above(1. turn off the phone, 2. push (and keep pushed) R button on your physical keyboard and turn on the phone). You'll see the animation "unboxing the phone".

nabicat

Mar 6, 2008
How much free space is indicated when you navigate to /system/app ? If there isn't enough, when I tried, the file just failed to show up.

Sent from my Alcatel OT-981A using XDA App

viztelen

Mar 19, 2011
How much free space is indicated when you navigate to /system/app ? If there isn't enough, when I tried, the file just failed to show up.

Sent from my Alcatel OT-981A using XDA App

i moved youtube.apk to SD card, and tried to copy the UserDictionaryProvider.apk file, but it doesn't appear.
And can't copy back the youtube.apk.
tried to move it back, but it disappeared from the sd card. and I forgot to make a copy, so now there is no youtube -.-
could somebody upload it please?

the power off, then power on+R button is the same as volume down(or up?)+power button, the apk still missing :/

Reactions: sfuportuguese

Maverick4lyes

Dec 4, 2010
I think the main solution for this phone is to install a full custom rom on this phone. He will end up losing data which i dont think is his main concern. custom rom (2.2 i perfer) should be enough to install the missing apk since it was a apk that android keeps referring to and doesn't know how to reinstall since it should never have been deleted. imho

viztelen

Mar 19, 2011
I think the main solution for this phone is to install a full custom rom on this phone. He will end up losing data which i dont think is his main concern. custom rom (2.2 i perfer) should be enough to install the missing apk since it was a apk that android keeps referring to and doesn't know how to reinstall since it should never have been deleted. imho

and do you have a ROM or know about one that works on this phone, because I didn't find any :(

I think everybody will be grateful if you could advice us a working 2.2 ROM :)

Maverick4lyes

Dec 4, 2010
ur right

Ur right..... I think everyone would love to have a 2.2 custom rom or update for this phone. I do not know where to get the custom rom for the phone or if it exists. Although I have heard a rumor of alcatel releasing an update this year for 981 or 980 to 2.2. Not sure if its ture.

If there is anyone who knows how to make customs roms or know of one that works with alcatel 980 or 981 we would be very happy with it.
I don't even mind learning to make a custom rom even some one would like to teach me. :)

tweakmyknob

Jan 26, 2011
Toronto
The woman's got one of these. Obviously not breaking new ground here given the progress you gents have already made, but I've rooted it, successfully removed the stock games and have seemingly successfully dumped mtd0 (boot) and mtd2 (recovery).

After unpacking and examining the init.rc from mtd2, it does seem to launch both adbd and recovery services.

The trick I guess here is figuring out how to boot that partition...? There must be some key combination we're missing here that boots the existing recovery partition, it contains a bunch of seemingly 'flash status' related .bmp files. How does Alcatel boot this bit to flash them?

If that gets booting, clockworkmod could be ported and injected onto that partition:

http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/10/porting-clockwork-recovery-to-new.html

I don't have a kitchen set up as of now, nor can I really risk bricking her phone (I don't really want to buy her a new one if it goes south)

I'd be willing to provide these dumps to anyone who could assist as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Gingerbread Final (Test release / RC)

Getting the files
    1) Download update.zip from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/GB RC1/update.zip
    2) Place on sdcard root keep name as update.zip
    3) Download google apps from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Gingerbread Alpha 1/gapps.zip (the update is the same as the cyanogenmod one except it mounts the custpack partition)
    4) Place on sdcard root keep name as gapps.zip

Only if your upgrading from Eclair follow this step
    Installing recovery (for Eclair only)
    1) Get the update package at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Update Package.zip (this is the Foryo one we only use it to install the recovery)
    2) Power off your device (do not plug in to the USB port on your computer)
    3) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 2)
    4) Run InstallUpdateRecovery.bat in the install package.
    5) Unplug your device (remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery)

Installing Gingerbread
    Note if your already on gingerbread follow steps and make sure you install google apps before the reboot

1) Hold the volume down and power (it should boot into recovery). If it doesn't
    the power off device and try again.
    2) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry. Q to go back.
    3) Select Apply update.zip from the menu
    3) Select Install zip from sdcard
    4) Select choose zip from sdcard
    5) Select gapps.zip in the list
    6) Select Yes - Install gapps.zip
    7) Eclair only: format your data partition from mounts and storage menu. This may not be required but after the reboot if you see a boot loop please do this step.
    8) Reboot the device via the menu. If you end up in recovery again unplug your device (remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery).

After Reboot (on new install only)
    1) Wait for touch screen calibration first to calibrate your screen
    2) Touch the Android like normal (press menu to set up your APN if you have data)
    3) Setup your google account
    4) If you need wireless then hit back (or cancel not sure which one :p) when its trying to connect (it will offer an option to connect)
    5) Enjoy Gingerbread and report any bugs!

AZERTY / European gps.conf
    See: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25640971&postcount=349 for files
    For each file you want to install:
    2) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
    If you get select the wrong menu remove battery and enter recovery again.
    4) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove
    the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery to avoid booting into recovery.

Notes
    - What works: Cellular, Data, GPS, Camera, Bluetooth, Tethering
    - Please enter your APN settings for your network to get data
    - Update will not format your user data partition
    - Dalvik heap and compcache are set to 24mb, 10% respectively. Feel free to tweak via cyanogenmod settings
    - Kernel source: https://github.com/Idontknow186/Alcatel-OT980-Kernel

Whats new
    - Bluetooth
    - Tethering
    - Camera support for locations, effects and zooming
    - GPS related changes
    - Rebased against newer nightly gingerbread branch (for better or worse)

What needs to be tested
    - Bluetooth headsets
    - GPS reliability (modified drivers again)

Known Issues
    - You may need to tell your favorite tethering application to not use wpa_supplicant
    - GPS config is for North America so fix may be slower in other countries (see update above for european config)
    - Stock keyboard is oversized. Install your favorite from the market (should be fine I'm currently using stock).
    - More reliable wireless in some cases with Regulatory domain: 14 (don't quote me on it might be nothing :p)
    - Might break if you use link2sd, may need to format data. Can some one who is using it try updating the su binary in the super user application via the preferences after installation (not a 100% confirmed fix so try at your own risk).
    - Bluetooth not functional for voice calls
    Noticed we are missing code for the GPS in the Camera drivers so going to see if I can get it to work. Got zooming fixed which was easy to enable.
    Gingerbread Alpha 1

Note: This update has not been tested upgrading from eclar so if your coming from it follow the back up steps (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24847104&postcount=264). It probably does work but a back up is recommended no need to update to froyo first. Overall it is more stable then Froyo despite being an Alpha (I'll move it to beta status next week once we have bluetooth)

Getting the files
    1) Download update.zip from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Gingerbread Alpha 1/update.zip
    2) Place on sdcard root keep name as update.zip
    3) Download google apps from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Gingerbread Alpha 1/gapps.zip (these are the same are modified to mount the custpack partition unlike the standard cynogen ones)
    4) Place on sdcard root keep name as gapps.zip

Only if your upgrading from Eclair follow this step
    Installing recovery (for Eclair only)
    1) Get the update package at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Update Package.zip (this is the Foryo one we only use it to install the recovery)
    2) Power off your device (do not plug in to the USB port on your computer)
    3) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 2)
    4) Run InstallUpdateRecovery.bat in the install package.
    5) Unplug your device (remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery)

Installing Gingerbread
    2) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
    4) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove
    the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery to avoid booting into recovery.

Installing Google Applications
    3) Select Install zip from sdcard
    4) Select choose zip from sdcard
    5) Select gapps.zip in the list
    6) Select Yes - Install gapps.zip
    7) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove

Reboot device
    1) Wait for touch screen calibration first to calibrate your screen
    2) Touch the Android like normal (press menu to set up your APN if you have data)
    3) Setup your google account
    4) If you need wireless then hit back (or cancel not sure which one :p) when its trying to connect (it will offer an option to connect)
    5) Enjoy Gingerbread and report any bugs!

AZERTY / European gps.conf
    See: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25640971&postcount=349 for files
    For each file you want to install:

Important Install Update 1 from: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25742778&postcount=364

Notes
    - What works: Cellular, Data, GPS, Camera
    - What doesn't: Bluetooth, Tethering (untested but probably doesn't :/)
    - Tethering is not supported or at least I haven't tested it and doesn't work yet (sorry next update possibly)
    - Update will format your userdata and cache partition
    - Future updates will be large [about the same size] (they won't format data and cache any more)
    - You can tweak settings via cynognemod settings some of the values like dalvik-heap are on default (I'll bump these up in a future update)
    - Some junk is left over for developers will be removed in a future update (forgot it in a rush :D)
    - Kernel source: https://github.com/Idontknow186/Alcatel-OT980-Kernel

Known Issues
    - Audio recording is broken in most applications (Fixed in update 1)
    -Mute does not work in the phone application during a call please don't use it!! Fixed in update 1
    - To turn screen on in the phone press any key other then hangup or predictably you know what will happen (probably expected, don't know if this happened in stock)
    - Stay away from Clockworkmod it does not work on this ROM
    - GPS config is for North America so fix may be slower in other countries (see update above for european config)
    - Stock keyboard is oversized. Install your favorite from the market (should be fine I'm currently using stock).
    - More reliable wireless in some cases with Regulatory domain: 14 (don't quote me on it might be nothing :p)
    Froyo 2.2.2

INSTRUCTIONS ARE DEPRECATED [A GINGERBREAD UPDATE WILL BE RELEASED SOON PLEASE AVOID]

An update package is included (its designed for Windows but if your familiar with fastboot just follow what the bat files do after getting fastboot for your platform.) If your device doesn't boot for some reason restore the back up you made your data should be restored. By flashing the update.zip in this package you are formatting your data partition (so you will have to reinstall applications if the update is successful). You can get the update package at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Update Package.zip its about 125 mb. Please use instructions from the forum the instructions in the zip are older. Make sure you also read the notes below before installing.

Backing up
    1) Power off your device (do not plug in to the USB port on your computer)
    2) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 1)
    3) Plug your device into your USB port
    4) Run InstallBackupRecovery.bat in the install package.
    6) Hold the volume down and power (it should boot into recovery). If it doesn't
    7) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
    8) Select Backup and restore
    9) Select backup (allow it to complete)
    10) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove

Restoring (incase something goes wrong)
    1) Power off your device (do not plug in to the USB port on your computer)
    2) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 1)
    3) Plug your device into your USB port
    4) Run InstallBackupRecovery.bat in the install package.
    5) Unplug your device (and remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery)
    6) Hold the volume down and power (it should boot into recovery). If it doesn't
    7) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
    8) Select Backup and restore
    9) Select restore
    10) Pick the back up you had made earlier based on the date.
    11) Select power off from the menu to shut down.After a couple of seconds remove

Upgrading to Froyo
    1) Make sure you have made a back up (its easy and it only takes a minute or two)
    2) Copy update.zip on to your sdcard (do not extract)
    3) Power off your device (do not plug in to the USB port on your computer)
    4) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 2)
    5) Run InstallUpdateRecovery.bat in the install package.
    6) Unplug your device (remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery)
    7) Hold the volume down and power (it should boot into recovery). If it doesn't
    8) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
    9) Select Apply update.zip from the menu
    10) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove
    10a) Install latest update from: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24984298&postcount=279
    11) Power on and welcome to Froyo :D
    12) Wait for touchscreen calibration to come up. Follow instructions. Once finished menu to exit.
    If your touches do not register at ANY point then see CalibrationPoints.png in package and touch approximately on your screen based on these points.
    If you run into this please tell me (I can tweak the TSCalibration app to be smarter with a bit of work.)
    13) Touch the android icon and skip creating an account (there is a bug in the wizard so your just avoiding it)
    14) Setup everything at this point if necessary re-calibrated your screen via TS Calibration in the menu
    15) Install your favorites launcher (Zeam runs great) and keyboard since no keyboard is installed.

Notes
    - No keyboard is included so use the hardware keyboard and install your favorite via the market.
    - The kernel has been updated based off nobodyAtall's work to help port froyo / gingerbread specific features. Other things are specific to this device (Kernel source: https://github.com/Idontknow186/Alcatel-OT980-Kernel)
    - Busybox is pre-installed to make things easier if you need to adb on to the device
    - All hardware should work if something is broken please tell me. For tethering install your favourite solution from the market (tunnelling support should be compiled in if it isn't yell at me :p).
    - The default launcher sucks so please replace it for the best experience.
    - The ROM is rooted for your already.
    - Battery life seems to be better then typically what you get on stock.
    - Calibration data can be cleared by deleting /data/data/touchscreen*/files/* [path might be wrong will check later] or formatting the data partition (if you need a update.zip to clear calibration please tell me).
    - Please report any bugs I'll issue delta updates to fix them (preferably with reproduction steps)
    - Whats next? Probably GB or ICS :p
    I just figured out why Alcatel disabled HW acceleration for compositing (the MOVE still has the same stupid bug) it was so their logo appears fine on the boot screen. Other wise the hardware supports it and it works fine. So I'm going just enable it and fix the boot screen it just needs a larger image or else the pitch will screw up (I think, if I can't fix it don't be surprised by a corrupted Alcatel logo for less then a second or two). Only advantage you gain animations use hardware and things which use hardware surfaces actually get them. Oh and the awesome screen off animation works :p. Animations are now silky smooth between windows.

EDIT: That was easy enough to fix. So logo will look fine :D