[Q] HTC M8 to dual boot Android and Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
Sep 14, 2010
Hi Everyone
Just read on several sites how the latest model for Verison will Dual boot into Windows 8.1 and Android.
Is there a way to add this to the existing / original Android M8

FNX23837

Mar 25, 2010
Hollywood
Where did you read that?

Theres no way they would release a verison with 2 operating systems especially when android has been widly available for the device. Theres currently no version of a bootloader that has the right environment for windows adding an android boot to there bootloader "to try and even get back to android" Unfortunetly android is open sourse and windows is not, they would have to release there sourcecode to the developing world if they wanted to dual boot with android and they wont. so its up to us to exctract it on our end to make android 's boot loader able to dual boot into windows and hopefully find a way to get back.

Hi Everyone
Just read on several sites how the latest model for Verison will Dual boot into Windows 8.1 and Android.
Is there a way to add this to the existing / original Android M8

Last edited:

DeeZZ_NuuZZ

May 16, 2012
Hanover
HTC 10
Google Pixel 3 XL
it's not the source code which Needs to be released...it's the bootloader which Needs to be extracted and opened to get it working on the android Version! and that's difficult unless someone like cotulla will work on it!

Sep 14, 2010
Details

Where did you read that?

Theres no way they would release a verison with 2 operating systems especially when android has been widly available for the device. Theres currently no version of a bootloader that has the right environment for windows adding an android boot to there bootloader "to try and even get back to android" Unfortunetly android is open sourse and windows is not, they would have to release there sourcecode to the developing world if they wanted to dual boot with android and they wont. so its up to us to exctract it on our end to make android 's boot loader able to dual boot into windows and hopefully find a way to get back.

Hi
Unable to post links but on Engadget today and anandtech

snickler

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 17, 2010
Dub V
www.sinclairinat0r.com
Hi

From http://www.anandtech.com/show/8390/htc-announces-the-htc-one-m8-for-windows

For some users the most exciting prospect of the HTC One (M8) for Windows may come from the fact that it shares the same hardware as the One (M8). It's possible that the developer community will be able to load the firmware from the HTC One (M8) onto the device in a dual boot configuration with Windows Phone 8 so users can switch between the operating systems as they please.

This is one of those, "Well it might be possible to if developers can figure it out" quotes. As the others have posted, there will be no absolute easy way to do this and a lot of the pains will be on the bootloader side. If someone DOES happen to figure it out, I don't see it happening for a LONG time (This also counts as hope for someone to prove me wrong :D ). We can only be hopeful that HTC failed to lock down something they should have done.

The HD2 was like the holy grail and I don't see that same sort of configuration happening again.

DeeZZ_NuuZZ

May 16, 2012
Hanover
HTC 10
Google Pixel 3 XL
Htc has in m8 wp8.1 version something like s-off for android devices...in one m8 wp8.1 forum there is a thread where a guy is writing about the whole thing why it won't be that easy to mod the OS etc

FNX23837

Mar 25, 2010
Hollywood
I'm a daily "hourly" reader of engadget and they have posted about the version with windows but Verison is not releasing a dual boot version it is up to us to make that happen! Read alittle more carfully before making assumptions. Its possible "maybe" but its allot of work as snickler said its saying whats possible not whats out. Also im with One-M8-Master on this one, check out the thread it should clear a few things up on the boot loader side. lets all hope someone gets lucky and does it!

Hi

coal686

Senior Moderator / Developer Rel. / Mod Liaison
Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
I moved this thread back to One Q&A since the moderating team decided that's where it belongs, but I'm closing it since we now have a single discussion thread for porting Windows Phone 8 to the current m8s. Please continue the discussion there.

Thanks,
coal686

Status
Not open for further replies.