Official bootloader unlock procedure from LG AND the one that works for everyone ;)

Search This thread

laufersteppenwolf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
I just checked my emails and saw a reply from LG, containing the official unlocking procedure :D

alright, so here you go:

Requirements
- Linux: no drivers, only adb and fastboot (Linux is preferable, because drivers can't mess something up ;) I've used Xubuntu 12.10 BTW)
- Windows: all drivers (including fastboot drivers) installed and functioning
- a working and updated ADB (for installing ADB, search for tuts here on xda ;) )
- a unlockable firmware which is flashed several hours before trying to unlock the bootloader (and also being connected to the network)
- be willing to recycle all your warranty papers :D
- and most important: a brain with the ability to read

The Steps

1) charge your phone to 100% (not mentioned by LG, but it helped for me)
2) connect your phone in LG software mode (every mode with an activated adb should work, too)
3) if you have the path to your adb defined, then goto 3a). if not, then goto 3b)
3a) open a terminal and type
Code:
adb reboot oem-unlock

input_adb.jpg

3b) open a terminal and type
Code:
cd ~/android-sdk/platform-tools
in Linux or
Code:
cd C:\...
on windows (if you've installed the android-sdk in your home directory under "android-sdk". if not, change it to the directory you've installed it)

then type
Code:
adb reboot oem-unlock

input_adb_cd_2.jpg

result_adb.jpg

4) now you should see this on your phone:

DSCF3116.jpg

do i wanna unlock it? of course i do :D so press the vol + button ATTENTION: there is no further warning, your whole /data/ partition will be formatted!!!

5) now you should see this, and your BL is unlocked and your /data/ partition is wiped

DSCF3120.jpg

6) now pull out your usb cable and your battery, too
7) put your battery back in and boot
8) set up your system
9) now go to the hidden menu and check your BL status (dialer: 3845#*880# --> Bootloader Unlock Check --> Bootloader Unlock Check --> Unlock)

DSCF3122.jpg

Some people still think that
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
is the right command, but guess what: it isn't :p so please don't use it ;)

Please follow below directions to unlock bootloader.

1. Turn on the phone with SIM card, and wait for connection to the real network.

2. Wait for couple of hours.

3. Connect your handset to local PC with USB cable.

4. Enter "adb reboot oem-unlock" in DOS command window.

5. Reboot handset and you can see the bootloader unlock guide on your phone.

6-1. If you press volume up key, handset is bootloader unlock status.

You can download custom image using fastboot command.

6-2 If you press power on key, user doesnot accept unlock bootlaoder and handset normally power on.

so this was the official way :D now we're gonna take a look into the way, that can unlock every bootloader (at least we've heard nothing opposite ;) )

download this attatched BL_unlock file and extract it
execute the BL-unlock.bat
your bootloader is now unlocked :)

so what it does:
it copys the calue of the fuse "odm_reserved" to a temporary folder in /data/local
changes the value to an "unlocked" one
and it pushes the changed value back to the fuse

Be aware, that whatever you do, you do it on your own responsibility. I am not responsible for any damage that might occur.
Also keep in mind, that there is no way to relock it. So think before doing anything.

Attachments

• input_adb_cd.jpg
    input_adb_cd.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 15,572
  • DSCF3126.jpg
    DSCF3126.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 16,672
  • BL-unlock_new.rar
    473.6 KB · Views: 65,461
Last edited:

@non4

Jun 11, 2012
Gothicus
Ask about uk too? Since you got a response and I didn't. Or make a modded kdz that always flashes to eur-xxx since you have mad skills lol

Sent from my rooted P880

mastershefis

Mar 16, 2011
Amsterdam
There must be something which controls the device ID or IMEI, because it is no longer possible to unlock. Allways stack on [LGE_SECURITY] Unlock permission denied. I did tried already all possibility including drivers, differen adb versions, downgrading, updating e.g.

20130407080324.jpg
20130407080412.jpg

Erazor84

Apr 4, 2011
Vienna
On 232.14 - Unlock Permission Denied.

So with a branding you cannot unlock your boot loader. Maybe someone can find a workaround.

i have tried it on kubuntu with ADB.

mastershefis

Mar 16, 2011
Amsterdam
Yeah I'm thinking that, maybe we can spoof the region to lg flashtool or something, if its just flags in the kdz that are read by the flashtool it shouldn't be too hard to patch. Hopefully someone can :thumbup::)

Sent from my rooted P880

German, Euro Open and Czech fw have same size and I don't think so, that they released difeffrent versions for several countries. But what I think is somewhere some specific RIL's region list what BL check before unlocking process.

Emin3ms

Dec 8, 2012
In cmd.exe when i enter 'adb reboot oem-unlock' it returns 'adb' is not a valid command.
Sorry for being a noob :eek:

laufersteppenwolf

Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
German, Euro Open and Czech fw have same size and I don't think so, that they released difeffrent versions for several countries. But what I think is somewhere some specific RIL's region list what BL check before unlocking process.

that's what i'm thinking too. i guess there's the same BL on every firmware version. when trying to unlock the phone, the bootloader checks a file and "decides" then if it's unlockable or not...

In cmd.exe when i enter 'adb reboot oem-unlock' it returns 'adb' is not a valid command.

you need to execute the command in a folder, where your adb is ;)

Reactions: teddyxfire

@non4

Jun 11, 2012
Gothicus

Sounds like you havent installed it to CMD. Instead you can type cd C:/(name of adb directory) and hit enter, now adb commands should work. If you don't know what adb is do some research before messing with it

Sent from my rooted P880

teddyxfire

Feb 15, 2012
Zagreb
I think that I need a little help with this process. I've entered the "Bootloader unlock mode" where I can see the warranty disclaimer etc, pressed "Vol Up" key to accept the terms and to continue with the process...after that, a red text appeared - "Download mode !!!". What should I do now, enter some commands in adb or...?

laufersteppenwolf

Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
I think that I need a little help with this process. I've entered the "Bootloader unlock mode" where I can see the warranty disclaimer etc, pressed "Vol Up" key to accept the terms and to continue with the process...after that, a red text appeared - "Download mode !!!". What should I do now, enter some commands in adb or...?

just do nothing ;) the phone is making a factory reset and will reboot when it's done.
if it doesn't reboot itself, but says that it's done, just pull the battery and boot it manually

Reactions: teddyxfire

Majinek

Aug 24, 2012
Hello strange i have unlock denied message but i am on the Eur-xxx software non branded , ( polish software ) is there an option to open it ?:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just checked my emails and saw a reply from LG, containing the official unlocking procedure :D

alright, so here you go:

Requirements
    - Linux: no drivers, only adb and fastboot (Linux is preferable, because drivers can't mess something up ;) I've used Xubuntu 12.10 BTW)
    - Windows: all drivers (including fastboot drivers) installed and functioning
    - a working and updated ADB (for installing ADB, search for tuts here on xda ;) )
    - a unlockable firmware which is flashed several hours before trying to unlock the bootloader (and also being connected to the network)
    - be willing to recycle all your warranty papers :D
    - and most important: a brain with the ability to read

The Steps

1) charge your phone to 100% (not mentioned by LG, but it helped for me)
    2) connect your phone in LG software mode (every mode with an activated adb should work, too)
    3) if you have the path to your adb defined, then goto 3a). if not, then goto 3b)
    3a) open a terminal and type
    Code:
    adb reboot oem-unlock

input_adb.jpg

3b) open a terminal and type
    Code:
    cd ~/android-sdk/platform-tools
    in Linux or
    Code:
    cd C:\...
    on windows (if you've installed the android-sdk in your home directory under "android-sdk". if not, change it to the directory you've installed it)

then type
    Code:
    adb reboot oem-unlock

input_adb_cd_2.jpg

result_adb.jpg

4) now you should see this on your phone:

DSCF3116.jpg

do i wanna unlock it? of course i do :D so press the vol + button ATTENTION: there is no further warning, your whole /data/ partition will be formatted!!!

5) now you should see this, and your BL is unlocked and your /data/ partition is wiped

DSCF3120.jpg

6) now pull out your usb cable and your battery, too
    7) put your battery back in and boot
    8) set up your system
    9) now go to the hidden menu and check your BL status (dialer: 3845#*880# --> Bootloader Unlock Check --> Bootloader Unlock Check --> Unlock)

DSCF3122.jpg

Some people still think that
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem unlock
    is the right command, but guess what: it isn't :p so please don't use it ;)

Please follow below directions to unlock bootloader.

1. Turn on the phone with SIM card, and wait for connection to the real network.

2. Wait for couple of hours.

3. Connect your handset to local PC with USB cable.

4. Enter "adb reboot oem-unlock" in DOS command window.

5. Reboot handset and you can see the bootloader unlock guide on your phone.

6-1. If you press volume up key, handset is bootloader unlock status.

You can download custom image using fastboot command.

6-2 If you press power on key, user doesnot accept unlock bootlaoder and handset normally power on.

so this was the official way :D now we're gonna take a look into the way, that can unlock every bootloader (at least we've heard nothing opposite ;) )

download this attatched BL_unlock file and extract it
    execute the BL-unlock.bat
    your bootloader is now unlocked :)

so what it does:
    it copys the calue of the fuse "odm_reserved" to a temporary folder in /data/local
    changes the value to an "unlocked" one
    and it pushes the changed value back to the fuse

Be aware, that whatever you do, you do it on your own responsibility. I am not responsible for any damage that might occur.
    Also keep in mind, that there is no way to relock it. So think before doing anything.
    I have a version EUR-XXX,in the download mode freeze the phone.In my PC appears a window to install the fastboot drivers.

I had the same problem few hours ago so I used different method to unlock the bootloader and it worked perfectly.
    Check this thread and watch the video tutorial, it's short: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2180497
    Also, pay attention to the post number #17 by nedooo, he attached fastboot drivers in his post.

Basically:
    1. Connect you phone via USB, open adb, type: adb reboot-bootloader
    - your phone will reboot and will stay at the LG logo, just let it be like that for now and go to step 2.
    2. a) Download fastboot drivers from nedooo's post and extract them to your desktop or wherever you like
    b) Go to your computer's Device Manager, there you will find "fastboot" with yellow triangle over it. Right clik on fastboot -> update drivers -> browse my computer for driver software -> click on browse and select the extracted folder from step a)
    3. We've installed fastboot drivers, all you need to do now is go back to adb and type: fastboot oem unlock
    You'll get message on your phone, so use "vol up" and "vol down" keys to select "Unlock" option and "power" button to confirm the selection.
    Your screen will go black, wait for 30 seconds and then remove the battery, put it back in and turn on the phone.

Credits go to nbock97 and nedooo, you can use this method if the official method doesn't work for you, in our case official method couldn't get past the first red message ("Download mode") for some reason, probably because of drivers.
    Just for your information guys, i just wrote another email to lg, asking about a list of unlockable firmwares and, most important, what this error "permission denied" should mean and why it occurs.
    hopefully we'll get an answer about this error, and maybe we're able then to get around it.
    I just didnt understand why it could unlock my device with the adb version from android systemtools_r21 and not with adb tools_r20. So I digged a bit deeper. What i found out is, that it has to be something with the "ro.secure" setting in the build.prop as suggested earlier. If you compare the adb versions, you see that in the new version there is a new Compile Flag "ALLOW_ADB_ROOT".
    https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/core/+/tools_r21/adb/adb.c (line 899).
    Just compare it with the older version:
    https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/core/+/tools_r20/adb/adb.c (line 869).
    When compiling tools_r21 this flag is set 1: as i assume adb was compiled with options "full" and "eng", allowing the adbd deamon on the device running as root (In fact not really a change in behaviour of code compared to r_20). So the reason the LGE security error is thrown, could be adbd on the device is not running as root.

So you could try to restart adbd on the device as root with
    "adb root"
    after you rooted the device: this sets ro.debuggable=1and service.adb.root=1resulting in not dropping priviliges and successfully reboot. (Its sets the CAP_SYS_BOOT capability, allowing a process to reboot the device, if its not set, rebooting is not allowed resulting in security error)

I used the root method from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1818502. There are also apps who promise to run adbd as root, just google it.

So before you run "adb reboot oem-unlock", root your device and make sure you use the latest adb.exe and adbd on phone is running as root.

Hope this helps anyone.