[Q] Rooting and tethering

Search This thread

interkin3tic

Dec 26, 2011
I'm thinking of buying the phone, but I wanted first to make sure that it would be easy to root. The note 3 via AT&T evidently went unrootable due to a recent update, is there any chance that AT&T will do/has done the same thing with the M8? I see nothing about the AT&T version being similarly locked down, and from HTC's webpage it looks like they support unlocking the bootloader, but I was hoping for someone to be able to say "Yes, as of today, the fifth of june, the HTC one M8 purchased from AT&T will be rootable fairly easily" before I plunked down a bunch of money and signed another contract.

My second question is: has anything changed with tethering (on an unlimited plan)? I've been tethering for years with my galaxy S2 skyrocket no troubles. I again wanted positive confirmation that this was possible and safe to do on the M8 (IE without AT&T deciding data through the phone should cost more than data TO the phone or that I should be downgraded to a more expensive capped plan.)

GermanGuy

Mar 19, 2005
Minneapolis
I'm thinking of buying the phone, but I wanted first to make sure that it would be easy to root. The note 3 via AT&T evidently went unrootable due to a recent update, is there any chance that AT&T will do/has done the same thing with the M8? I see nothing about the AT&T version being similarly locked down, and from HTC's webpage it looks like they support unlocking the bootloader, but I was hoping for someone to be able to say "Yes, as of today, the fifth of june, the HTC one M8 purchased from AT&T will be rootable fairly easily" before I plunked down a bunch of money and signed another contract.

My second question is: has anything changed with tethering (on an unlimited plan)? I've been tethering for years with my galaxy S2 skyrocket no troubles. I again wanted positive confirmation that this was possible and safe to do on the M8 (IE without AT&T deciding data through the phone should cost more than data TO the phone or that I should be downgraded to a more expensive capped plan.)

Everything works - rooting, unlocking bootloader, s-off, tethering

Reactions: jae2014

johnnyutah22

Jul 17, 2011
Tennessee

1. Yes, as of today, June 5th, purchased from att, the latest firmware on the phone is rootable, s-off, etc. The recent update did not prevent the htcdev unlock method.

2. That's unanswerable from my standpoint. Tethering is enabled and does not require a separate plan if you use the tether mod on the forums, however, I would be wary of anyone who tells you that att can't see your specific data use. That being said, I've tethered on my plan since 2010 without issue and have not seen any indication that anything has changed with the M8.

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
1. Yes, as of today, June 5th, purchased from att, the latest firmware on the phone is rootable, s-off, etc. The recent update did not prevent the htcdev unlock method.

2. That's unanswerable from my standpoint. Tethering is enabled and does not require a separate plan if you use the tether mod on the forums, however, I would be wary of anyone who tells you that att can't see your specific data use. That being said, I've tethered on my plan since 2010 without issue and have not seen any indication that anything has changed with the M8.

I can verify that they are able to somehow detect when you are tethering - I got slapped on the wrist for doing this last year. I had one of those fancy unlimited data plans and so I decided to start tethering while I was waiting for the cable company to install internets at my new apartment and I got a nice call telling me to stop tethering or that they would 'add a tethering package' to my device. I switched to mobile share value plan and I'm saving money and I can tether without any BS anyways....not that it matters but I complained that its BS they can decide what you do with your data

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Detection of tethering is done of the network side, and is not device specific. The phone (ROM) only limits whether you can tether or not; which is easily circumvented on a modded phone by either flashing the tether hack, or just about any non-AT&T stock rooted ROM, or custom ROM.

Its not known for certain how exactly AT&T determines you are tethering or not. Folks here who are smarter than me have commented that the data packets are tagged as tethered, and AT&T can easily detect this. How they actually enforce is another matter, they don't seem to bust everyone who tethers. It seems they go somewhat by amount of tethered data.

I've been tethering for years on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, like the OP. But only very small amounts. Usually just when I travel, and need to access email at locations when I can't connect to WiFi or a LAN. I'm talking may just a couple hundred MB of data a month (or less). Tether large amounts of data and you will almost surely be caught. Keep a low profile, and your changes are good you will stay under the radar. Many here will report similar experiences as myself.

As the OP has been tethering on their previous phone for years, I would expect tethering to go the same on the M8.

Last edited:

jae2014

Apr 16, 2014
Detection of tethering is done of the network side, and is not device specific. The phone (ROM) only limits whether you can tether or not; which is easily circumvented on a modded phone by either flashing the tether hack, or just about any non-AT&T stock rooted ROM, or custom ROM.

Its not known for certain how exactly AT&T determines you are tethering or not. Folks here who are smarter than me have commented that the data packets are tagged as tethered, and AT&T can easily detect this. How they actually enforce is another matter, they don't seem to bust everyone who tethers. It seems they go somewhat by amount of tethered data.

I've been tethering for years on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, like the OP. But only very small amounts. Usually just when I travel, and need to access email at locations when I can't connect to WiFi or a LAN. I'm talking may just a couple hundred MB of data a month (or less). Tether large amounts of data and you will almost surely be caught. Keep a low profile, and your changes are good you will stay under the radar. Many here will report similar experiences as myself.

As the OP has been tethering on their previous phone for years, I would expect tethering to go the same on the M8.

I just upgraded to the HTC one from the note 3 and I was wondering if windroid is what you use to root the htc one m8 on att?
Sorry I'm pretty slow when it comes to this stuff.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I just upgraded to the HTC one from the note 3 and I was wondering if windroid is what you use to root the htc one m8 on att?

You can use WIndroid or Hasoon2000's toolkit. But to be frank, the toolkits don't do anything you can't accomplish yourself "manually".

Now if the question is did I specifically use a toolkit to root, the answer would be NO.

Using a toolkit robs you of a valuable learning experience, and therefore I don't personally recommend it. Without learning how to use the various tools and processes, you are ill equipped to troubleshoot or self-recover if/when things go south when modding the phone.

A similar question folks like to ask is "what is the easiest/fastest way to root" when in fact they should be asking "what is the best way". My answer to the latter question would be to do the steps manually: unlock bootloader, install custom recovery, and either flash SU/SuperSU or flash a rooted ROM.

jae2014

Apr 16, 2014
You can use WIndroid or Hasoon2000's toolkit. But to be frank, the toolkits don't do anything you can't accomplish yourself "manually".

Now if the question is did I specifically use a toolkit to root, the answer would be NO.

Using a toolkit robs you of a valuable learning experience, and therefore I don't personally recommend it. Without learning how to use the various tools and processes, you are ill equipped to troubleshoot or self-recover if/when things go south when modding the phone.

A similar question folks like to ask is "what is the easiest/fastest way to root" when in fact they should be asking "what is the best way". My answer to the latter question would be to do the steps manually: unlock bootloader, install custom recovery, and either flash SU/SuperSU or flash a rooted ROM.

First, I want to thank you for your response. I wish I could give you more than one 'thanks' lol.\
Yeah, I downloaded one of the tool kits and was messing with it a bit and realized that what you're saying is completely true. The toolkits are nice but not a necessity. I will do as you suggested so that I can do this the best way. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Everything works - rooting, unlocking bootloader, s-off, tethering