How to filter ads on your G1

Search This thread

delta_foxtrot2

Feb 11, 2009
Wow, half the comments on the Market about app are complete whiners and people wonder why free apps are disappearing from the Market, maybe it's to stop the irrelevant comments.

In any case new version up that allows you to easily revert your hosts file to just have localhost.

shaneaus

Nov 27, 2007
Austin, Texas
AWESOME AP! Thank you!

Don't listen to the whiners! They are just too ignorant (ignorant - lack of knowledge - not an insult, necessarily) to know any better!

Thanks for making this app and helping out. It isn't only the major ROM cookers who make xda-dev such a great resource. It is also people like you who make really great apps that others didn't think of or don't know how to make!

mannyb

Dec 31, 2008
Wow, half the comments on the Market about app are complete whiners and people wonder why free apps are disappearing from the Market, maybe it's to stop the irrelevant comments.

In any case new version up that allows you to easily revert your hosts file to just have localhost.
Good job mate, I'm loving this. Even though "host edits" is a "primitive" way of blocking ads, it's the best we've got at the moment.

And I agree, I think the Market whiners are reason many developers decide to "go paid", I can definitely understand the reasoning. It just sucks for people outside the handful paid app enabled countries.

delta_foxtrot2

Feb 11, 2009
Good job mate, I'm loving this. Even though "host edits" is a "primitive" way of blocking ads, it's the best we've got at the moment.

I'm not sure it's that primitive though, doing it at the OS level, which is written in C, should (in theory) be a lot faster than adding extra java code to do the same thing. The down side of course is you need root.

delta_foxtrot2

Feb 11, 2009
New version up, instead of using wget from the command line to download the hosts file it pulls it in itself and then just moves it on the command line, hopefully those running stock ADP1.5 won't have any more problems now, but without a little more help/feedback from those having problems I'm guessing and they're whining about it not working etc.

delta_foxtrot2

Feb 11, 2009
According to comments on the Market, some people think and icon/polish would be good, but since this app is mostly single use, or redundent if the hosts file gets packaged in some of the builds I doubt polishing up the interface would be of much use.

Although it could probably do with a better icon and since I suck at graphics would anyone care to donate something or know of a decent one that is royality free etc?

delta_foxtrot2

Feb 11, 2009
Also for anyone running ADP 1.5 (I assume the google build) that is failing can you try and do these steps manually, either via 'adb shell' or using the terminal app:

Code:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
wget -O /sdcard/hosts http://209.68.48.119/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
cp /sdcard/hosts /system/etc/hosts
rm /sdcard/hosts
mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

mannyb

Dec 31, 2008
I'm not sure it's that primitive though, doing it at the OS level, which is written in C, should (in theory) be a lot faster than adding extra java code to do the same thing. The down side of course is you need root.
I think I worded it poorly, and just to clarify; it was in no way meant to diminish the work you do with AdFree. I do love this app.

What I meant was rather that host file blocks are rather blunt, as you block on a per domain basis, not on a per image/element basis, like Adblock Plus for Firefox.

delta_foxtrot2

Feb 11, 2009
I think I worded it poorly, and just to clarify; it was in no way meant to diminish the work you do with AdFree. I do love this app.

I knew you weren't talking about the app, however....

What I meant was rather that host file blocks are rather blunt, as you block on a per domain basis, not on a per image/element basis, like Adblock Plus for Firefox.

Yea but regex filtering is expensive in terms of CPU, and on small devices which you are trying to get the most battery life from as well I still tend to think this is the better option.

mannyb

Dec 31, 2008
According to comments on the Market, some people think and icon/polish would be good, but since this app is mostly single use, or redundent if the hosts file gets packaged in some of the builds I doubt polishing up the interface would be of much use.

Although it could probably do with a better icon and since I suck at graphics would anyone care to donate something or know of a decent one that is royality free etc?
adfreeicon.png

Will this one do?

mannyb

Dec 31, 2008
Yea but regex filtering is expensive in terms of CPU, and on small devices which you are trying to get the most battery life from as well I still tend to think this is the better option.
That is a very good point. I'm sure there will be Adblock Plus like apps for Android sooner or later, but the CPU/battery issue is definitely a concern.

delta_foxtrot2

Feb 11, 2009
That is a very good point. I'm sure there will be Adblock Plus like apps for Android sooner or later, but the CPU/battery issue is definitely a concern.

I wonder if google is going to allow/code for plugins in the browser, because no matter how slow java code is, if they do it in the same way as firefox with javascript it will chew even more battery/CPU which would possibly slow browsing down, while it chews through the URL list etc.

I still think in this case blocking by hosts file is the best option, desktop computers on the other hand run mostly idle so it doesn't matter as much.

gurugabe

Apr 14, 2009
Fort Stockton, TX
adfree updates

How often is the hosts file updated? Why can I get it to work through terminal, but when I update hosts file through app it cannot replace hosts file. Doesn't appear to work on all ads just yet, but I'm sure it will soon.

delta_foxtrot2

Feb 11, 2009
How often is the hosts file updated? Why can I get it to work through terminal, but when I update hosts file through app it cannot replace hosts file. Doesn't appear to work on all ads just yet, but I'm sure it will soon.

You need to report any URIs for ads to the guy that owns the link on the first post.

The more linkls reported etc the less ads you'll see.

lyingit

May 3, 2009
I just updated to your latest, and I'm getting a 'failed to remount system partition read-write' error.

Have root, running jf's 1.5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can find the latest version of this app on the slideme app store.

http://slideme.org/application/adfree

This is the old thread, I started a new thread in the general section => http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40759351

================================================================================================================================================

Spoiled by ad free browsing on my normal desktop computer it became increasingly annoying seeing all the ads on my phone. However it's really easy to make them disappear, although you most likely will need root on the phone.

Download the hosts.txt file from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt, you may need to run dos2unix over the file to remote \r characters, rename the file hosts and copy it to /system/etc on your phone and say goodbye to most ads.

You may find the list to be imperfect, for example some feedburner URLs are "blocked" as a result which can screw with RSS feeds, although it's annoying giving too much info to Google but like everything else in life some things are a trade off.

If you want to root your phone, try this article.
    I'm getting a fatal error saying that my copy is too old, I'm using latest version from market/play store 8.44

I've been dreading this day since my hdd was wiped a while back, I've uploaded a new version using a new signing key 0.8.45, but you'll need to remove the current version first.
    I really would like to see Adfree in another store like FDroid!!

Cheers.!

I was uploading to slideme.org until I had issues with old signing keys being lost.

For people wanting the current version I uploaded the apk file to the website: http://adfree.bigtincan.com/adfree.apk
    new Ad blocker

Hi folks,

I have released my own hosts-based ad blocker named AdAway, it can be found on the market with the following features:

• AdAway is Open Source
    • AdAway lets you select your own sources of hosts files
    • You can add exceptions to your Whitelist if some apps are not working with ads disabled
    • You can define extra hostnames in your own Blacklist

Market: market.android.com/details?id=org.adaway
    Source: gitorious.org/adaway

I would like to hear suggestions and ideas for possible future releases. Please look into the Issue tracker before and add your suggestions there: code.google.com/p/ad-away/issues/list
    Here, a quick edit of the host file to fix the Words with Friends and Medscape. Just copy and paste it into "/system/etc" and overwrite the host file or wherever your host file is located.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?mda7sx9eovfkh03

If you wanna do this yourself, use a text editor like Notepad++ and just remove any references to server that's being overlayed in Words With Friends and any references to Medscape.