[APP][2.2+] Network Connections for Android

Search This thread

pandata000

Mar 9, 2011
Hi all,

After making the Anti Spy Mobile, I had some questions from users how to track the actual connections from Spyware apps, or comments like "Anti Spy Mobile says my phone is clean, but my device is still tracked". Then I decided to make Network Connections - an app that monitors, captures and logs all connections from an Android device in order to show where the "data goes". And to work for NON-ROOT devices too. Almost an year after, here's the app - Network Connections for Android.

Because I wanted to thank all of you (XDA-devs members) that gave me suggestions for my previous app - Anti Spy Mobile, I've decided to thank you all by giving you a free, unlimited key for the new app. The key will be available in Google Play until 10/10/2013 extended until 19/10/2013, so everyone who likes the app can download it now and use it without limitations!

About the app - a tool that displays and monitors (tracks) all inbound and outbound connection from and to Android device that works on NO ROOT phones (for Android up to 10) too. For Android 10+ you need ROOT (see below)..

KEY FEATURES:

- Monitors all internet connections from and to your Android device
- Displays notification when hidden apps are connecting to remote servers
- Displays detailed IP information for each connection - IP address, reverse resolving (PTR), AS number, Abuse RBL data, administrative information, etc.
- Gets detailed info about each app that connects to remote servers and network connections used by it - permissions granted to each captured package and all IP addresses used by it.
- Real-time sort by most active, latest connections or by package name.
- Log and export the captured data.

Connections Used by The App:
Google IPs - Statistics and Maps
RIPE, ARIN - IP information

Screenshots:

DN_qtSPRuxLPVQaJABwo753F77S2cv7uXHe3YbEVaHeSbCOklWrHTb4pzoiqi4qKRg4=h310
mzkgxGR8lVMAsXEVAZc3v6aPfWH8V-8jXgjkiDSyeB-wke6akOGQnA0WkRpd3Y-qR8k=h310
p91x3ZCL3sTuJDgBzC8F5BnjSmspIwQ3CnPUOhXVf_rXImJIDugYi6lSszzHmZsCiDA=h310
RRWlZD3ROaDy2D-tUoc65__Fz5efJaSQjiBrZRoeR5ySxKcaFWKUapnDyfoP2jRokQQ4=h310
1kK9p4m2Hf82pzKmXkBf7FRG9X7mZHBk8iP047jK5CzSBR7gY3qDA-64eMI-vw8S3Yc=h310

App URL: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antispycell.connmonitor&utma=xd (I'm posting the APK as attachment, but it's better to use the Google Play link in order to receive further updates).
Special Unlock Key For XDA-Developers: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antispycell.connmonitor.unlockxda&utma=xd

Please let me know how do you like it, and what are your suggestions on it. One thing that is not implemented, but seems to be good is the feature to block non-wanted connections (this will work for ROOT users only, but still will be a plus).

Known issues: Some IP addresses are not handled correctly on x86 Intel devices - negative numbers in the octets. - fixed

v1.0.8 - fixed resolving in current connections tab & some optimizations
v1.1.1 - zero port connections with invalid state not displayed
v.1.5.0beta - made to work for *Rooted devices for Android 10+

UPDATE (06/2020): A beta version (v.1.5.0) that works with Rooted Android 10+ devices is now released. Please test and submit reports here :)

You need ROOT for Android 10+: The app needs supolicy and it works with Majestik and SuperSU. All comments are appreciated.

All suggestions are welcome! Thank you ! :good:

Attachments

• networkconnections-1.1.1.apk
    447.4 KB · Views: 4,003
  • network-connections-1.5.0.apk
    1.1 MB · Views: 578
Last edited:

pandata000

Mar 9, 2011
Playing with it, I found some interesting "unexpected" connections:

For example - the ES File Explorer (one of the best file managers for me) is connecting to IP in Beijing, China on the HTTP port 80 ... ?

device-2013-10-07-152408.png

There are no ads in their app, probably they are using some kind of tracking, but why in China? Most of the apps are using Flurry, Google Analytics, etc. :) With a saucy list of permissions granted to the app it's scary .. :)

device-2013-10-07-152915.png

So, I was thinking that probably a place on the web that explains the network connections of the apps (at least the popular ones) will be a good source of security for those that want to know. What do you think ?

Last edited:

pandata000

Mar 9, 2011
Thanks! About the ES, the connection was right after the start on cleaned prefs. It can be something from their tutorial though ?

Sent from my Nexus using xda premium

fernandovg

Sep 5, 2012
Current connections tab:
is it possible to have a group option (group by app, group by status(listen, established, etc)
Is it possible to have a filter?

For example i only want to see established connection from Chrome for example.

thanks for this app

Reactions: pandata000

pandata000

Mar 9, 2011
Current connections tab:
is it possible to have a group option (group by app, group by status(listen, established, etc)
Is it possible to have a filter?

For example i only want to see established connection from Chrome for example.

thanks for this app

Hi,

Connection grouping is more or less made in the APP Log tab - cumulative per app or by clicking on the Chrome app in APP Details screen, where you see all IPs used by the specific app.

Filter is good - I have to think how to make it from UI side of view, as I don't want to use menu buttons etc. in user navigation.

Thanks for testing and your suggestions !

Reactions: BrooklynNY

venu007

May 10, 2012
Searching for a long time for this kind of app...

Now I can know what app is hogging my internet...

Thanks many times

Sent from my Micromax A110

Reactions: pandata000

hadi_rena

Sep 1, 2011
Bandung
Interesting application :good: now I can see which app opening a connection and where they are going. But one question: What is the diferrence between current connection with connection log with 'live capture' on :confused: sorry for noob question.

My suggestion for improvement / feature: floating bar showing D/L and U/L rate

venu007

May 10, 2012
Sir.. Can u make it available to my country INDIA in playstore..

Sent from my Micromax A110

pandata000

Mar 9, 2011
Interesting application :good: now I can see which app opening a connection and where they are going. But one question: What is the diferrence between current connection with connection log with 'live capture' on :confused: sorry for noob question.

My suggestion for improvement / feature: floating bar showing D/L and U/L rate

Hi, Your question is OK, as the app still don't have a doc-related material. The Current connections tab shows in live time all connections made by your device.

The Connections Log tab shows only accumulated data for the captured connections - e.g. you may start and stop the live capture over time.

Unfortunately the D/L U/L rate is not available per IP, as the app is not using netfilter/iptables logs.

Reactions: BrooklynNY

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

After making the Anti Spy Mobile, I had some questions from users how to track the actual connections from Spyware apps, or comments like "Anti Spy Mobile says my phone is clean, but my device is still tracked". Then I decided to make Network Connections - an app that monitors, captures and logs all connections from an Android device in order to show where the "data goes". And to work for NON-ROOT devices too. Almost an year after, here's the app - Network Connections for Android.

Because I wanted to thank all of you (XDA-devs members) that gave me suggestions for my previous app - Anti Spy Mobile, I've decided to thank you all by giving you a free, unlimited key for the new app. The key will be available in Google Play until 10/10/2013 extended until 19/10/2013, so everyone who likes the app can download it now and use it without limitations!

About the app - a tool that displays and monitors (tracks) all inbound and outbound connection from and to Android device that works on NO ROOT phones (for Android up to 10) too. For Android 10+ you need ROOT (see below)..

KEY FEATURES:

- Monitors all internet connections from and to your Android device
    - Displays notification when hidden apps are connecting to remote servers
    - Displays detailed IP information for each connection - IP address, reverse resolving (PTR), AS number, Abuse RBL data, administrative information, etc.
    - Gets detailed info about each app that connects to remote servers and network connections used by it - permissions granted to each captured package and all IP addresses used by it.
    - Real-time sort by most active, latest connections or by package name.
    - Log and export the captured data.

Connections Used by The App:
    Google IPs - Statistics and Maps
    RIPE, ARIN - IP information

Screenshots:

DN_qtSPRuxLPVQaJABwo753F77S2cv7uXHe3YbEVaHeSbCOklWrHTb4pzoiqi4qKRg4=h310
    mzkgxGR8lVMAsXEVAZc3v6aPfWH8V-8jXgjkiDSyeB-wke6akOGQnA0WkRpd3Y-qR8k=h310
    p91x3ZCL3sTuJDgBzC8F5BnjSmspIwQ3CnPUOhXVf_rXImJIDugYi6lSszzHmZsCiDA=h310
    RRWlZD3ROaDy2D-tUoc65__Fz5efJaSQjiBrZRoeR5ySxKcaFWKUapnDyfoP2jRokQQ4=h310
    1kK9p4m2Hf82pzKmXkBf7FRG9X7mZHBk8iP047jK5CzSBR7gY3qDA-64eMI-vw8S3Yc=h310

App URL: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antispycell.connmonitor&utma=xd (I'm posting the APK as attachment, but it's better to use the Google Play link in order to receive further updates).
    Special Unlock Key For XDA-Developers: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antispycell.connmonitor.unlockxda&utma=xd

Please let me know how do you like it, and what are your suggestions on it. One thing that is not implemented, but seems to be good is the feature to block non-wanted connections (this will work for ROOT users only, but still will be a plus).

Known issues: Some IP addresses are not handled correctly on x86 Intel devices - negative numbers in the octets. - fixed

v1.0.8 - fixed resolving in current connections tab & some optimizations
    v1.1.1 - zero port connections with invalid state not displayed
    v.1.5.0beta - made to work for *Rooted devices for Android 10+

UPDATE (06/2020): A beta version (v.1.5.0) that works with Rooted Android 10+ devices is now released. Please test and submit reports here :)

You need ROOT for Android 10+: The app needs supolicy and it works with Majestik and SuperSU. All comments are appreciated.

All suggestions are welcome! Thank you ! :good:
    After a factory reset on Christmas Eve I found that reinstalling the XDA unlock key* no longer works. It would be ungrateful to ask you to supply a new one, but please consider holding a New Year sale or something, thanks!

* I can tell you the exact date I originally installed the app & the unlock key via the Play Store as well as their versions, so it's not like I downloaded the key from the web after its expiry!

Thnak you for your interest ! I'm developing an IP blocking plugin for the app, that will work for rooted devices, and there will be a huge discount or giveaway on its release (most probably by the end of January 2014).
    @pandata000

I just found this app, very good work ( Anti Spy Mobile too) ! I can hardly expect your next app/update, keep up the good work....

Thanks for the unlock key !!

Thank you roydest! The next one will be Connections Blocker (or something like that) - will be able to block unwanted connections, but will work only for ROOTed phones. All firewall apps that I see in the market can block per app, and I want to make one based per IP / Connection - and also linked with Network Connections :)
    ---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

sorry for asking a noob question but whats the difference? a differential explanation would be great.

Network Connections shows socket information from the Kernel virtual /proc/net files. The former unix "netstat", now "ss" tool uses the same data sources. Those kernel files are readable for all users (e.g. you don't need elevated root access to read them). This is a standard for all *nix OSes including Android.

The NetworkLog app is using Netfilter module (http://netfilter.org) which is a packet filtering frameware that uses hooks in the Linux kernel that allows kernel modules to register callback functions with the network stack. Those callback functions are used from utilities like iptables (former ipchains) to LOG information about the network packets. The same hooks are used in almost all firewalls for Unix-based systems. This means that you need root-ed device and kernel compiled supporting netfilter module - CM, Miui, etc. has it.

does that mean that it will also detect rootkit network connection?

The /proc/net files are readable for all users, which means that Network Connections shows info for connections made by escalated privileged users (root). The rootkit network connections appears with 'Android system' owner in the app, and you show disable the tick "Don't log connections from Android core" in the Settings, should you need to log them.

Exporting the raw database with captured connections (from settings screen) then should ease the process of capturing suspicious ones.
    Will this work on E4GT phones?

X'd out the game