[HW MOD] 3G for my Mobii Adventure

Search This thread

corelx

Sep 24, 2007
's-Gravenhage
With the VegaComb 3.2 Build 9n Update 3 on a Viewpad 10s, the Huwaei E1750 works flawless. Offcourse in USB Host mode.
I've tried also a ZTE MF-100 but that doesnt work. Seems like because its making 3 interfaces: modem, at, diag.

Reactions: redman8x8

redman8x8

Dec 9, 2008
Bucharest
With the VegaComb 3.2 Build 9n Update 3 on a Viewpad 10s, the Huwaei E1750 works flawless. Offcourse in USB Host mode.
I've tried also a ZTE MF-100 but that doesnt work. Seems like because its making 3 interfaces: modem, at, diag.

Thanks for the Tip, i got myself a Huawei K3765, disabled the USB storage mode on the modem with: AT^U2DIAG=0 comand from WinXp Hyperterminal and finally got internet connection working on VegaComb 3.2 Build9n out of the box.

corelx

Sep 24, 2007
's-Gravenhage
Think i found a way...

After a lot of research i think found something what we could use to expand our P10AN devices with 3G and even some more gigabytes :)
The port where the webcam is connected inside the tablet is a simple usb port,
with a simple internal connector.
Yesterday i went to the local electro-store and bought one which is almost like the original, and fitting in to connector just fine.
After this i've disassembled my Huawei E1752 housing, put out the chip from it,
and desoldered the usb connector, replaced with the new one.
Working like charm, the only bad is that i've lost my camera, since there is no more free port. Maybe i can fix this in the future with a small usb hub, maybe...

Afterall if you set your modems AT^U2DiAG=256 then you will have a working 3G and SD Card reader.

Since i want to reconnect somehow the camera, i'm not going to assemble the tablet until that. But it seems like everything is going to fit in.
After finished with everything i will make a tutorial with images included.

ParanoidDK

Jul 27, 2006
Sveg, Sweden
blog.moonman.dk
After a lot of research i think found something what we could use to expand our P10AN devices with 3G and even some more gigabytes :)
The port where the webcam is connected inside the tablet is a simple usb port,
with a simple internal connector.
Yesterday i went to the local electro-store and bought one which is almost like the original, and fitting in to connector just fine.
After this i've disassembled my Huawei E1752 housing, put out the chip from it,
and desoldered the usb connector, replaced with the new one.
Working like charm, the only bad is that i've lost my camera, since there is no more free port. Maybe i can fix this in the future with a small usb hub, maybe...

Afterall if you set your modems AT^U2DiAG=256 then you will have a working 3G and SD Card reader.

Since i want to reconnect somehow the camera, i'm not going to assemble the tablet until that. But it seems like everything is going to fit in.
After finished with everything i will make a tutorial with images included.

If you want the camera working again then you have to use a hub yes... :)

corelx

Sep 24, 2007
's-Gravenhage
I'm still trying to find the perfect one, which is fit into this small place.
If anybody could help me in that a little that would be great!

We need 2 port usb hub, which is square shaped and only 20x20mm.

corelx

Sep 24, 2007
's-Gravenhage
Update on 3G mod

So here is a little update on the 3G mod for our vegas.

Measured a little inside the the device and seems like after
i have put in the 3g stick we have left exactly 25mm X 55mm space
for the usb hub, offcourse with the housing and connectors disassembled from it.

As it can see on the second picture the back of the tablet seems like
to fit nicely, there will be enough space for the stick.

On the last three pictures there is the connector what everybody need for the mod, but i haven't found yet it on international online stores.
So if somebody could find one please let me know!

One more important thing is, that the Huawei E1750 datasheet only mention sd card handling up to 4gb.
But it's not true, for me it can handle perfectly the 16gb sdhc card!

Attachments

• DSC_5740.jpg
    DSC_5740.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC_5743.jpg
    DSC_5743.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC_5748.jpg
    DSC_5748.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC_5749.JPG
    DSC_5749.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC_5753.JPG
    DSC_5753.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 231
Reactions: yani2000

tomh235

Dec 2, 2010
Any chance you could run a speed benchmark on the sdcard? I want to integrate a hub and twin sd cards for swap memory and a2sd but I need to know if the internal usb is usb2 and won't cause performance bottlenecks.

Sent from my X10 using XDA App

whit3boy

Oct 28, 2008
Hello everybody, I would like to thank all users to help us get over our problems more or less trivial.
I got a PoV Mobii Tegra with HUAWEI EM770W 3G, and ROM: VC 3.2 9n Update 3.2.5x2 Diet Edition Edited by Areo. | Kernel: 2.6.36.3VegaComb-Release-by-TeamNewCo+rebel1@linux-36c8 #7.
I tried 4 sim cards, from 4 different operators, but none worked.
What I need to do?
By the way, the tablet was from the factory with 3g modem in it.

2 photos inside the tablet:

I'm sorry for the bad english and bad expression.
Thanks!

corelx

Sep 24, 2007
's-Gravenhage
Any chance you could run a speed benchmark on the sdcard? I want to integrate a hub and twin sd cards for swap memory and a2sd but I need to know if the internal usb is usb2 and won't cause performance bottlenecks.

Sent from my X10 using XDA App

Hi!

Unfortunately i cannot run benchmark for now, because two of my hubs stopped
working with the device. Also i think i will give up with the usb hub idea, because
found a similar thread on the Modaco forum and read the same hub problems there.
Anyway when i will have a little time later this week/maybe next i will resolder the
whole thing for just only 3G Stick without camera (since i almost never use it, not a big skype fan :p) and than i will post you some results.
Based on the kernel logs (dmesg) it seems like every USB is connected to the
same hub inside the device and these are USB2 (at least appears to).

Hello everybody, I would like to thank all users to help us get over our problems more or less trivial.
I got a PoV Mobii Tegra with HUAWEI EM770W 3G, and ROM: VC 3.2 9n Update 3.2.5x2 Diet Edition Edited by Areo. | Kernel: 2.6.36.3VegaComb-Release-by-TeamNewCo+rebel1@linux-36c8 #7.
I tried 4 sim cards, from 4 different operators, but none worked.
What I need to do?
By the way, the tablet was from the factory with 3g modem in it.

As far as i know the EM770W should work with the custom roms.
Why are you using such an old roms? Try one of the newer HoneyIce roms,
maybe the RC3, but i recommend the RC2.1.
I've linked my archive on Tabletroms, there you can download it.

whit3boy

Oct 28, 2008
thanks for reply. :)
which rom you recomands? rc 2.1 or rc 2.1 patch 1? i want to works 3g on my tablet.
please tell me the steps for installing the rom. thanks.

//le:
I have installed the rom and the patch, but same problems,
It was some steps to setup the 3g?
When I click on operators(in settings) I take an error: "error while searching network operators".
There may possible the internal modem to be locked?
Thanks

Last edited:

corelx

Sep 24, 2007
's-Gravenhage
thanks for reply. :)
which rom you recomands? rc 2.1 or rc 2.1 patch 1? i want to works 3g on my tablet.
please tell me the steps for installing the rom. thanks.

//le:
I have installed the rom and the patch, but same problems,
It was some steps to setup the 3g?
When I click on operators(in settings) I take an error: "error while searching network operators".
There may possible the internal modem to be locked?
Thanks

I'm not sure about which version you should use, since i have rc3 chimera istalled,
and it's slow and unusable without swap, for me.
For the rest of the forum, at least many of them reporting very good experience with it.
So i recommend to try the rc3 also, maybe your device will run it better than any other versions,
And maybe the 3G drivers are improved.
Since i don't have too much experience with the internal 3G modems, you should ask your
Question in the tabletroms.com/vega rom development/honeyice thread.

G

ctot

Dec 26, 2009
Hi, I have an Advent Vega with Honeyice Rc3 chimera. I've tried 2 different USB 3G modems and no one of them got to work. I've tried Huawei E220 and Huawei E1750. The tablet does not recognize any APNs and it does not allow me to edit the APNs manually (well, it allows to edit but not to save them).

Does anybody have any idea?

richardmlea

Jul 13, 2011
3G mod off camera port with SD card reader and working camera

Good work with the 3g mod but I did my USB hub/3g mod about 9 months ago. I posted it on Modaco and tablet roms. I have just updated it with new details and pictures of what I am running at the moment. Check it out
http://android.modaco.com/topic/350380-hw-mod-internal-usb-gps/page__gopid__1923781#entry1923781

Hi, I have an Advent Vega with Honeyice Rc3 chimera. I've tried 2 different USB 3G modems and no one of them got to work. I've tried Huawei E220 and Huawei E1750. The tablet does not recognize any APNs and it does not allow me to edit the APNs manually (well, it allows to edit but not to save them).

You need to turn off the CD Rom emulation on the modem with an AT command.
Here’s a guide for sending an AT command to your modem from a windows PC http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/executing+AT-commands+under+Windows
And this is the AT command you need to type to disable the virtual CD rom.

AT^U2DIAG=0

You will also need to make sure the sim pin is disabled (you can do this on your PC)
It should now work.
Good luck:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jrincon_v

Jrincon_v

Feb 12, 2012

First you need a Huawei device couse those device are the device wich is user by the bulder of our tablet. Second leave chimera on my own experience is not the best rom to work with 3g.

Sent from my VegaComb using xda premium

richardmlea

Jul 13, 2011
I think you have miss-understood. He has already has the modem. Most Huawei modems are supported by most custom roms and some factory roms as long as the CD rom emulation is turned off. They use the same Ril commands as the interal modem (also a Huawei) fitted to 10s's, POV mobi's and other P10an01's.
First you need a Huawei device couse those device are the device wich is user by the bulder of our tablet. Second leave chimera on my own experience is not the best rom to work with 3g.

Sent from my VegaComb using xda premium

Last edited:

Jrincon_v

Feb 12, 2012

Well i understand now, Sorry, maybe you need follow this steps.

1.- Set your usb to host mode
2.- Conect your USB module (First you need disable the autorun mode)
3.- Waith for at least 30 seconds, the led of your dongle will be blink
4.- Go to configurarion, and set your apn, very important fist internett and then MMC.
5.- wait for a wile, some times the tablet dont take the changes so fast.
then you done.

Since yesterdey i use a internal 3g card, buy one in ebay its more afordable.

Bye.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

A few days ago i opened my POV Mobii (another version of the vega) because i wanted to see why the non 3G version has no 3G.
    At this point, my journey started.

Facts:
    * Advent Vega = POV Mobii Tegra = Smartbook Smartsurfer 360
    * The Advent Vega lacks of the antennas and the simcardslot/PCIe slot
    * A unknown subset of the POV Mobii Tegra without 3G are also missing this parts, the other subset not.
    * The Smartbook Smartsurfer 360 has all this parts + HUWAI EM770W miniPCI card 3g modem
    * Sadly the Simcardreader/mPCIe module has no name, but it seems to be a standard part (see picture below, backside is hidden by a antistatic black plastic), someone needs to search through the electronic sites to hopefully find that. See the link below.
    * the antennas are a normal 3g main and 3g aux, definitive standard parts which maybe not fit perfectly into the case and need improvisation(there's enough space), but will work
    * The Ericsson f3507g is not working because... nope the mbm driver are there... but the ril-daemon is missing

Working 3G devices
    * HUAWEI EM770W 3G is working(as i know useable for EU) (thx to malamut81) http://cgi.ebay.com/New-UNLOCKED-HU...323?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a623613b3
    * Ericsson F3307G 3G is working(as i know useable for US) (thx to ParanoidSPV) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150514109325&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3134wt_905

Links:
    This Thread at Modaco: http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-vega-vega-modaco-com/332547/mpcie-3g-card-in-my-mobii-same-as-vega/#entry1605438
    Simcardreader is something like this, but with another interface to the device itself(maybe it's still usb... do not know, we need an electronican): http://cgi.ebay.com/MINI-PCI-E-WWAN...153?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230e171159
    Interesting Threads concerning this topic:
    http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-vega-vega-modaco-com/331534/hardware-pictures-pov-vega-and-smartbook-360-with-umts-should-be-retrofit-in-vega/
    http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-vega-vega-modaco-com/324250/vega-internals/

TODO's:
    * Fixing whatever does not work
    * Finding out if the antenna parts and the simcardslot/mpcie slot are buyable

Expectations:
    * Easy and cheap upgrade of Advent Vega and POV Mobii Tegra for a fully 3g functionality

Attchments:
    070anh.jpg

simcardreader.png

Kind Regards
    Ralph
    wait so the slot is a standared mini MPIe?

there was some talk in the Modaco forum that it was non standard
    On the MoDaCo forum, user BakedBeans managed to get a 3G USB Dongle working on a MoDaCo Cutom ROM. (Actuallt official Advent firmware with the MoDaCo Custom ROM Add-On r7).

He had to go through some steps to get it to work. Here's what he posted:
    I have a working, surfing conection via an Huawei E220 3G dongle on my Vega.

Details:

1. Installed theMoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega r7
    2. Enabled USB Host Mode (USB Mode --> USB Host (required reboot)
    3. Inserted the Huawei E220 USB Dongle (mine was a t-mobile PAYG dongle)
    4. If USB Host Mode is enabled, the dongle will flash green, then blue

*Interesting bit*:
    5a. Go to Settings --> Accounts & Sync --> Add Account
    5b. Select 'Google'
    5b. Hold down the back button (the physical button) for 2-5 seconds until a 'Wireless Settings' icon appears at the bottom of the screen
    5c. Select 'Wireless Settings'
    5d. Select '3G Service enabled'
    5e. Select 'Data enabled'
    5f. Select 'Network Operators' ... You may need to wait 10-30 seconds as the Vega configures itself to read the USB dongle, makes a connection and identifies what providers are available... the light on my USB Dongle went solid blue at this point (if I recall correctly)
    5g. Choose your network operator
    5h. The Vega notification bar will change to show a "3G" icon, which is animated to show upload/download action; and a signal strenth icon.
    6. Ensure WiFi is off and surf to a website... In my case, I got the t-mobile top-up page, which showed me my dongle's phone number and the fact that I had no further credit on my account.

When you unplug the dongle, the notification bar will change to a red triable for 'No Service: Selected network unavailable).

At this point I don't know whether this is chewing my battery or not when not connected.. as the "No Service" notification does not go away, even though I've disabled '3G Service'.

This is my first post here, so if I've posted in the wrong please, let me know and I'll happily move it.

Cheers,
    BB.

EDIT:
    Where did you find the SIM slot?
    Is it inside, cause it's definitely not on the outside on my Point of View Mobii TEGRA Tablet 10.2" (or PoV Mobii, as I call it... ;))
    Wow!
    Didin't know that!

If you head on over to the MoDaCo forums and do a search (left bottom of the page) for smartsurfer, you'll find 2 topics about a version of this device with a 3G pre-installed...
    At some point the firmware for it was posted too, but had to be taken down (before I got it)...
    :(
    Maybe you can manage to find it somewhere...?

EDIT:
    It seems like the Smartsurfer comes with a Huawei EM770W WWAN 3G HSPA mobile broadband module installed...