[22/12/10][SUSPENDED] IcedCube GingerHD2 [Rooted][Experimental][MDJ Kernel]

Search This thread

IcedCube

Nov 9, 2010
Queensland
coburnsdomain.com
PLEASE READ THIS POST AND UNDERSTAND IT CLEARLY BEFORE USING THIS ROM!​

Heyo,

This ROM is now a port of the Nexus S Gingerbread ROM leak for the HD2. I would like to make it clear that this ROM may be unstable and not for everyday use! Since we're using a version of Android designed for a different device, we may have issues. The leaked build I'm using is available here - some modding is required though.

Starting from 0.05, my builds come with a 96MB Data.img file to get you out of trouble. I will provide data.img files that are 128MB, 256MB, 512MB and 768MB in size. You can make your own image via a terminal on Linux like this (don't type the dollar sign or the stuff behind it)

Code:
coburn@Misaka:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/Android/folder/data.img bs=1M count=128M
coburn@Misaka:~$ mke2fs /path/to/Android/folder/data.img
(answer 'y' to the question when mke2fs says "data.img is not a special block device, proceed? [y,n]")

Installation
Extract the "Android" folder in the ZIP file below to your MicroSD Card, pop it into your HD2, open File Explorer from WinMo, find the Android folder, tap CLRCAD.exe and then Haret.exe and watch the sparks fly.

For patches, extract the files in the patch archive to your MicroSD Card, overwriting any existing files.

Downloads
You can download the ROM from my server below. Please don't use download accelators, they will make my VPS cry...

LATEST VERSION IS 0.5, PLEASE DO NOT USE OLDER VERSIONS AS YOU WILL BE ASKED TO UPGRADE IF YOU SAY SOMETHING IS NOT WORKING ON THOSE OLDER BUILDS!

Version 0.01 > Get the goodness here! <
Version 0.02 (Patch only, download v0.01 first!) > Get the goodness here! <
Version 0.03 (Only a data.img for people who are having boot problems) > Get the goodness here! <
Version 0.05 > Get the goodness here! <
Version 0.05 requires 7-Zip to extract

Disclaimer
If I used any of your works and I did not acknowledge you, I am not claiming your work as my own. That would be the wrong thing to do (and I am not intending to "kang" any sources). I am also not responsible if your device is bricked or broken by direct or indirect use of this ROM.

Credits
spbeeking - The person that dumped the gingerbread SDK build in the other thread, in which that got over 210 Posts.
dakluck - Found the fix for BSOD (temporary).
m-deejay - Used his kernel. They rock.
jubeh - Found the problem with the SDK Build's lagginess.
supercurio - For the Nexus S ROM Dump.
...last but not least, all HD2 Owners that have given up 250MB+ of their MicroSD Card space to test GingerHD2. :)

Credit will be given where due. Watch this space! :)

Last edited:

IcedCube

Nov 9, 2010
Queensland
coburnsdomain.com
Changelog Key:
+ means addition/change
- means removal
[!] means danger/caution.

v0.0.6 - Changed over to m-deejay's Gingerbread, working with his base to make a "lite" ROM.
This version is currently under development and will be released when deemed finished!

v0.0.5 Release 1 - ??/12/10 - Coming very soon.
+ Switched to Nexus S ROM Base
+ Replaced Nexus S default GL drivers with the ones for the HD2
+ Working Radio - SMS & Texts should work...

v0.0.4 - 10/12/10 - R.I.P, I totally fudged up v0.04 SDK Sources. Stupid me!

v0.0.3 - 10/12/10 - Patch 2
+ Basic data.img only for people with boot problems. Only use with older releases, don't use it with v0.0.3+ builds.

v0.0.2 - 8/12/10 - Patch
+ Switched kernel to m-deejay's kernel for working 3G Connection, data should work.
+ Fast bootup speed.
[!] Black Screen of Death occurs if you allow the device to go to sleep.
NOTE: BSOD can be fixed temporarily, see below.
[!] Erratic behaviour occurs if you haven't PIN unlocked your SIM Card before booting this ROM.
[!] Can take a while to do things, ie. very laggy.
[!] Black screen after HTC logo, no android logo.
[!] Keyboard comes up as white space (?)
... Possible other things that are buggy or whatnot.

v0.0.1 - 8/12/10
+ First release. Boots somewhat and then has problems.

Temporary Fix for BSOD in sleep (present in v0.0.3 and below)
After pressing power button once, press and hold power button till vibrate, then press back button. May take a few attempts but persistance is key.
(Credit to dakluck)

Bug List
None as of yet for 0.05... (Currently in-dev)

(Outdated) Checklist
WiFi? Not yet working.
BlueTooth? Not tested.
SMS Sending? Seems so (according to m-deejay).
Calls? Working.
3G Data? Working - select APN before going on the 'net.
Sound? Not working, but I'm working on it.
Camera? Not working.
Camcorder? Not working.
Screen (blacklight, touch etc)? Working.
Lights (keypad): Working.
Accerometer/G-Sensor? Not working.
(..to finish..)

Having boot problems?
Download the 64MB Data.img which is v0.03 (it's just a zip with the data.img I use for this ROM) and extract it to the same folder (for example, if GingerHD2 is located in GingerROM on your MicroSD Card, extract it to that folder). Then you should get to the desktop.

Last edited:

phiredrop

Jan 30, 2010
sites.google.com
Nice work, thanks for sharing. The init.rc file you mention is linked to a pastebin link in the original dump thread. Should be easy to search.

IcedCube

Nov 9, 2010
Queensland
coburnsdomain.com
Thanks for the credit and all, but didn't you say that you used your own sdk dump?

Sent from my Decepticon using XDA App
I just wanted to give you a shoutout because you did the dumping before I jumped into the fray and dumped the sources myself ;)

And on that bombshell, the v0.02 patch is up! See the second post for changelog, and first post for downloads. Here's how to install the patch:

For patches, extract the files in the patch archive to your MicroSD Card, overwriting any existing files.

It couldn't get any harder. Or could it...? ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE READ THIS POST AND UNDERSTAND IT CLEARLY BEFORE USING THIS ROM!​

Heyo,

This ROM is now a port of the Nexus S Gingerbread ROM leak for the HD2. I would like to make it clear that this ROM may be unstable and not for everyday use! Since we're using a version of Android designed for a different device, we may have issues. The leaked build I'm using is available here - some modding is required though.

Starting from 0.05, my builds come with a 96MB Data.img file to get you out of trouble. I will provide data.img files that are 128MB, 256MB, 512MB and 768MB in size. You can make your own image via a terminal on Linux like this (don't type the dollar sign or the stuff behind it)

Code:
    coburn@Misaka:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/Android/folder/data.img bs=1M count=128M
    coburn@Misaka:~$ mke2fs /path/to/Android/folder/data.img
    (answer 'y' to the question when mke2fs says "data.img is not a special block device, proceed? [y,n]")

Installation
    Extract the "Android" folder in the ZIP file below to your MicroSD Card, pop it into your HD2, open File Explorer from WinMo, find the Android folder, tap CLRCAD.exe and then Haret.exe and watch the sparks fly.

Downloads
    You can download the ROM from my server below. Please don't use download accelators, they will make my VPS cry...

LATEST VERSION IS 0.5, PLEASE DO NOT USE OLDER VERSIONS AS YOU WILL BE ASKED TO UPGRADE IF YOU SAY SOMETHING IS NOT WORKING ON THOSE OLDER BUILDS!

Version 0.01 > Get the goodness here! <
    Version 0.02 (Patch only, download v0.01 first!) > Get the goodness here! <
    Version 0.03 (Only a data.img for people who are having boot problems) > Get the goodness here! <
    Version 0.05 > Get the goodness here! <
    Version 0.05 requires 7-Zip to extract

Disclaimer
    If I used any of your works and I did not acknowledge you, I am not claiming your work as my own. That would be the wrong thing to do (and I am not intending to "kang" any sources). I am also not responsible if your device is bricked or broken by direct or indirect use of this ROM.

Credits
    spbeeking - The person that dumped the gingerbread SDK build in the other thread, in which that got over 210 Posts.
    dakluck - Found the fix for BSOD (temporary).
    m-deejay - Used his kernel. They rock.
    jubeh - Found the problem with the SDK Build's lagginess.
    supercurio - For the Nexus S ROM Dump.
    ...last but not least, all HD2 Owners that have given up 250MB+ of their MicroSD Card space to test GingerHD2. :)

Credit will be given where due. Watch this space! :)
    Changelog Key:
    + means addition/change
    - means removal
    [!] means danger/caution.

v0.0.6 - Changed over to m-deejay's Gingerbread, working with his base to make a "lite" ROM.
    This version is currently under development and will be released when deemed finished!

v0.0.5 Release 1 - ??/12/10 - Coming very soon.
    + Switched to Nexus S ROM Base
    + Replaced Nexus S default GL drivers with the ones for the HD2
    + Working Radio - SMS & Texts should work...

v0.0.4 - 10/12/10 - R.I.P, I totally fudged up v0.04 SDK Sources. Stupid me!

v0.0.3 - 10/12/10 - Patch 2
    + Basic data.img only for people with boot problems. Only use with older releases, don't use it with v0.0.3+ builds.

v0.0.2 - 8/12/10 - Patch
    + Switched kernel to m-deejay's kernel for working 3G Connection, data should work.
    + Fast bootup speed.
    [!] Black Screen of Death occurs if you allow the device to go to sleep.
    NOTE: BSOD can be fixed temporarily, see below.
    [!] Erratic behaviour occurs if you haven't PIN unlocked your SIM Card before booting this ROM.
    [!] Can take a while to do things, ie. very laggy.
    [!] Black screen after HTC logo, no android logo.
    [!] Keyboard comes up as white space (?)
    ... Possible other things that are buggy or whatnot.

v0.0.1 - 8/12/10
    + First release. Boots somewhat and then has problems.

Temporary Fix for BSOD in sleep (present in v0.0.3 and below)
    After pressing power button once, press and hold power button till vibrate, then press back button. May take a few attempts but persistance is key.
    (Credit to dakluck)

Bug List
    None as of yet for 0.05... (Currently in-dev)

(Outdated) Checklist
    WiFi? Not yet working.
    BlueTooth? Not tested.
    SMS Sending? Seems so (according to m-deejay).
    Calls? Working.
    3G Data? Working - select APN before going on the 'net.
    Sound? Not working, but I'm working on it.
    Camera? Not working.
    Camcorder? Not working.
    Screen (blacklight, touch etc)? Working.
    Lights (keypad): Working.
    Accerometer/G-Sensor? Not working.
    (..to finish..)

Having boot problems?
    Download the 64MB Data.img which is v0.03 (it's just a zip with the data.img I use for this ROM) and extract it to the same folder (for example, if GingerHD2 is located in GingerROM on your MicroSD Card, extract it to that folder). Then you should get to the desktop.
    Ah, I step out of the Android kitchen to get some fresh air and I get a flurry of emails saying that my XDA thread is on fire. Nice going, peeps.

Sorry for the lack of updates from me. I've ordered an EeePC and I'm waiting for that to arrive before I do another release (my eMac is getting sluggish and USB 1.1 just sucks.). The EeePC should be here either tomorrow or the next day according to Australia Post.

I'm going to try to get another SDK dump and see what's going on. I believe the WiFi issue is due to the actual SDK build (some services are disabled) and that Baseband issue leaves me stratching my head.

In other words, I haven't forgotten about you all, I'm working on it, slowly but surely. :)

Also: Seems to be about 4 or so days until the offical Nexus One ROM is released containing Gingerbread. Don't go shouting that around, but that's what a few trustworthy CyanogenMod users said to me... :)
    Update.

I am still working on GingerHD2. Well, I botched up my v0.04a sources to the extent that they just break. So, I'm working on v0.05.

v0.05 is coming along nicely. I have a kernel problem that I need to run logcat for, and I don't have my USB cable with me. Sucks, I know. So I'm going to have to wait until tonight so I can see what the go is here.

I shall not be defeated! :p
    FFS, guys and morons! Don't rush him! If you find something odd, tell him. If you can help him, tell him. If you just want to show appreciation, tell him. But please, PLEASE, do not rush him and try to tell him what to do!...

This isn't even beta, so don't expect ANYTHING to work. Be amazed when the dev gets something to work, but don't expect anything...